• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • novazag2
    Bulldog Fan
    • Feb 2013

where does our backcourt rank?

I'm curious to hear where you think our backcourt stacks up nationally-- top 20? top 10? Also, which backcourts do you not want to see us face in the tourney?
  • BTB
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Nov 2012

Honestly I think top 20. Pangos is a very very good point guard and Bell is one of the best perimeter defending SGs in the country

Comment

• Zaga
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Nov 2010

Top Ten

IMO. a top ten backcourt if you count the options from our great bench. Pangos is a great leader of our team and the key. Patience is his virtue. His head is in the game for 38+ minutes every night. He facilitates very well and doesn't make many unforced errors. It helps to have lots of help at the 2 or 3 Bell, Dran and Stockton. Barham is putting together a real nice run too. Not sure if there are many other teams with our depth and ability to get bench minutes in the game. Kudos to the coaching staff on this years team.

Comment

• FlyZag
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Nov 2007

I wouldn't trade anybody on our current roster. I love this TEAM. I love our guards.

That said...

While our guards are very good, I'm not convinced they are even the best in our conference. Pangos is excellent... but is he better than Delly? Probably not. Bell & Holt are pretty even. Holt is a bit taller and quicker. Bell better fundamental on defense.

I'm not sure if that's more of a compliment to the talent in the conference or a weakness of our team. I'm thinking the former.

Comment

• cjm720
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

Very hard to tell or assess. Some will value scoring over leadership, etc.

There are very few teams I'd want to swap Pangos and Bell...plus they are both underclassmen!
          Go Zags!!!

Comment

• bartruff1
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2010

I would guess in the top ten...there are better 1s and 2s, but as a pair they are quality...

Comment

• upan8th
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Would certainly have them in the top ten if GBJ revived the slash-to-the basket ability he displayed so effectively in HS. But he's not even looking at the basket most times he gets a screen on the perimeter. Watching him not even try to drive on SD Munchkins Chris Anderson & Johnny Dee was, ah, vexing. Gary's lack of attack puts GU duo out of the top ten in the country IMHO.

Comment

• Mantua
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2007

Go Gophs!

Seems like the announcers are rooting for Indiana.

If the Gophers win and win the next two games, will Duke or Florida be ranked #1?

Oops this supposed to be posted in other games thread.
                Last edited by Mantua; 02-26-2013, 05:10 PM. Reason: Long day
                Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

Working...
                X