K. St. wins by 20.

#12 Syracuse goes down.

Iowa St. up on #6 Kansas.

Vanzagger
02-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Bueller

sittingon50
02-25-2013, 08:18 PM
OT. Total breakdown in officiating, favoring KU twice.

Seatown
02-25-2013, 08:21 PM
1) They called a foul on Young that was clearly on Withey. Would have been his fifth.

2) Obvious charge called a block, KU hits free throws, OT now.

Pretty pathetic from the officials. Iowa State hit 17 3's and deserved to win in regulation.

adoptedzag
02-25-2013, 08:33 PM
cyclones were flat out robbed. Bad bad BAD calls down the stretch. Must have been WCC refs out there.

ZagtotheCoeur
02-25-2013, 08:37 PM
1) They called a foul on Young that was clearly on Withey. Would have been his fifth.

2) Obvious charge called a block, KU hits free throws, OT now.

Pretty pathetic from the officials. Iowa State hit 17 3's and deserved to win in regulation.

This! Someone needs to be held responsible. Out of line

23dpg
02-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Agreed, Iowa St. was flat out robbed.

Not only did Withey clearly foul out.
Not only did they swallow the whistle on a clear charge that would have ended the game.
They then called a phantom foul on the guy who took the charge. The Kansas player laid on top of him, reaching for the ball...and somehow they called a foul on the Iowa St. player.
The officials were horrible all night, calling touch fouls where there were none, then letting guys bang hard and call nothing.

I had no dog in this fight, but I hate seeing a game decided like that.

bartruff1
02-25-2013, 09:06 PM
That was sad...those kids got robbed...I hate to see a game decided like that....

a13coach
02-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Agreed, Iowa St. was flat out robbed.

Not only did Withey clearly foul out.
Not only did they swallow the whistle on a clear charge that would have ended the game.
They then called a phantom foul on the guy who took the charge. The Kansas player laid on top of him, reaching for the ball...and somehow they called a foul on the Iowa St. player.
The officials were horrible all night, calling touch fouls where there were none, then letting guys bang hard and call nothing.

I had no dog in this fight, but I hate seeing a game decided like that.

Agreed. One of the biggest ref-robs I have seen in a long time. That ref must of had money on the line. Just atrocious!

caduceus
02-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Iowa St. fans were not too happy:

http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/ISU-BS.gif

MDABE80
02-25-2013, 10:53 PM
HOW do you do that!!!!

maltosf
02-25-2013, 11:52 PM
:agreed:

I wasn't a huge fan of the dunk at the end either. Just run out the clock and get out of there. Although I think the kid apologized afterwards. I guess if I could dunk I might have trouble resisting as well.

DixieZag
02-26-2013, 12:03 AM
Well, no consolation to Iowa State but according to Jason King's twitter on ESPN the Big 12 is going to review all calls by the officials made in the last minute, Katz had a tweet that said "people wonder what good "reviewing" does, it can ensure those officials never work a Big 12 game again."

So, apparently the ESPN guys are well aware that ISU got jobbed.

Incidentally, one unfortunate thing also mentioned in those tweets, apparently an ISU fan tried to attack Bill Self. Not good, not good at all.

I can understand being so angry you want to cry - like many in the crowd were as seen on TV, but never violent.

KStyles
02-26-2013, 12:06 AM
Yeah, there's an article on ESPN.com about the calls being reviewed.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8990165/big-12-review-last-minute-kansas-iowa-state-game-coordinator-officials-says

Zagnificent
02-26-2013, 05:30 AM

Is he saying "full spit?" Because that makes no sense.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-26-2013, 06:31 AM
Good for St. Mary's. A fellow bubble team lost an opportunity for a potential bid-clinching win. Iowa State is one of the "last four in" on a couple of recent bracket projections and lost a chance to solidify their position.

Bad for Gonzaga. Kansas is still in the running for a No. 1 seed that the Selection Committee can award to them at the Zags' expense.

Perhaps those were WCC officials after all.

Zagcity
02-26-2013, 07:00 AM

Good for St. Mary's. A fellow bubble team lost an opportunity for a potential bid-clinching win. Iowa State is one of the "last four in" on a couple of recent bracket projections and lost a chance to solidify their position.

You mean robbed of an opportunity :(
I think the guy above got it right!

caduceus
02-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Here's a 15 second clip from the baseline view if you missed it. Two terrible calls in the span of about 3 seconds. I can't see how the refs missed the textbook charge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWkLlGjNNO0

cjm720
02-26-2013, 08:47 AM
Here's a 15 second clip from the baseline view if you missed it. Two terrible calls in the span of about 3 seconds. I can't see how the refs missed the textbook charge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWkLlGjNNO0

I'll be pissed if that win helps Kansas into our 1 seed.

CDC84
02-26-2013, 08:58 AM
The horrible part about that missed call last night in Ames was that there was no call. That either has to be called a block or a charge. The ref completely silenced his whistle. There was major contact.

That being said, that was the definition of a player control foul. Johnson was just totally out of control when attacking the rim. Obvious charge.

DixieZag
02-26-2013, 10:21 AM
The horrible part about that missed call last night in Ames was that there was no call. That either has to be called a block or a charge. The ref completely silenced his whistle. There was major contact.

That being said, that was the definition of a player control foul. Johnson was just totally out of control when attacking the rim. Obvious charge.

This.

I had not seen the actual play. Swallowing the whistle rewards the Kansas player who is simply going through anyone on his way. If that isn't a charge then I really don't know what one is.

No wonder the camera showed all those ISU fans in tears - they may have had their signature win stolen from them. And, if Kansas is the last No.1 and we are the first No.2. then perhaps we have had something stolen also.

exclusivelee
02-26-2013, 02:00 PM
I almost threw the remote at the tv at how blatantly obvious the refs gave the game to Kansas.

1. There should have been a charge called
2. There shouldn't have been a foul called when the two players were on the ground trying to rebound the ball

caduceus
02-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Just in: (http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=206529272&DB_OEM_ID=10410)

The Big 12 Conference acknowledges that officiating errors were made at the end of regulation during last night's Kansas at Iowa State men's basketball game. The plays have been reviewed and appropriate measures will be taken by the Coordinator of Men's Basketball Officials to adjust the number of future assignments for the two officials involved in conjunction with Conference policies.

P.S. Reminder this is thread for yesterday's game.

Birddog
02-27-2013, 06:21 AM
Under the watch of the much maligned Dave Libbey, this might not have occurred. Libbey has consistently said in his classes and to his officials that they must make that call. Of course they might call it the wrong way too. As CDC pointed out, the injustice was in the refs deeming that charge as a "no call" when clearly it was a violation. It does seem odd that the home team got the shaft though, usually a raucous crowd sways the call. Self was probably working the officials pretty good, he does that. Not as obnoxious as "K", but Self can be vocal.

CarolinaZagFan
02-27-2013, 06:28 AM
I almost threw the remote at the tv at how blatantly obvious the refs gave the game to Kansas.

1. There should have been a charge called
2. There shouldn't have been a foul called when the two players were on the ground trying to rebound the ball

This! I thought the foul they called was even more ridiculous than the one they missed.