• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Cunningham or Marshall

I asked a West Coast recruiting guy who has watched Jared and Anthony on numerous occasions which one he'd take. His reply--

"Probably Cunningham. More of a point guard and better upside. But that would be a tough choice. And Marshall could be my choice six months from now."

That's how close these two high major recruits are.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by MJGoGaels
    I would take Richie Cunningham over Gary Marshall every day of the week and twice on sunday. Sorrry, BZ
    Glad you didn't pull out Penny Marshall there, MJ.

Okay, Affirmed or Alydar? Man 'o War or Secretariat? War Admiral or Citation? Ruffian or Genuine Risk? Serena's Song or Rags to Riches? Unbridled or Seattle Slew?

Marshall or Cunningham?

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Re:

If Cunningham has the larger upside, I might go with him. In 2009/10, Gonzaga will have Bouldin, Gibbs and Clarke/Goodson to handle the PG duties, plus Steven Gray, who will at least have some experience running the offense. Gonzaga will have enough PG's on board to allow time for Cunningham to physically mature.

It's a tough choice. Maybe offer both and give the schoolie to the first one who bites..........

Comment

• cggonzaga
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2007

Sounds like Marshall is more of a undersized two guard. Why couldn't we land both? I'm hoping for that and a small/power (athletic enough to play the 3 but big enough to play the four if necessary) forward type.

Comment

• BobZag
          Dark Lord of the Zag
          • Jan 2007

I'm thinking we'll see a CG, a Wing, and a 5 to go with Brock, who kinda fits the combo forward, inside-outside player. Now, the CG and Wing could turn out to be two guards, ala Cunningham and Marshall.

Comment

• cggonzaga
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2007

So to go along with CDC on this our 09 class could look like this:

Cunningham
            Marshall
            Osweiler
            Smith

That's a pretty nice looking class. Get the feeling Cunningham and Smith will continue to rise. Marshall almost has to rise. Is Osweiler not a top 100 recruit in your opinions?

I hope we don't give up on Gaddy. Maybe we could throw something at him to make him think about it a little. Is he still priority number 1 with the staff?

Comment

• chirguy
              Bulldog Fan
              • Jul 2007

I would take Richie Cunningham over Gary Marshall every day of the week and twice on sunday. Sorrry, BZ
              I think it was Richie Cunningham's older brother Chuck that was the player.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2007

Are you telling me that Romar is able to out-recruit Few in our state?
                Have you paid any attention to recruiting elite talent in this state recently Reborn? They don't come here. Heytvelt and Gray were national level recruits but not elite. It's hard for kids to pass up the state universities. Where would you rather live if you had the choice as a high school senior (not what you know now), Seattle or Spokane? I don't think it's so much that we're getting "out-recruited", rather "out-resourced".

Edited to add: I think you're more optimistic about getting one of those three than anyone else. I hope you're right but I'm afraid you're getting your hopes up.

Comment

• ZagNut08
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

For a kid who wants the big-time school with all the glitz and glamour, Few will have a very hard time getting him from Romar. For a player who wants the smaller school setting with a proven basketball program, good luck to Romar. Romar and Few are both great recruiters. I don’t think we will end up getting any: Siva, Gaddy, Bradley. Gaddy has grown up dreaming to go to Arizona. He has an offer, and will visit. If he does not like it there, he seems to have a very strong lean towards UW. He has said he could make a decision within a month, so I don’t like our odds there.

Siva has a huge UW lean, and he and Gaddy could easily play together in Romar’s system. As for Bradley, he too has said UW is his leader. So, if Gaddy goes to Arizona I could see Siva+Bradley going to UW. Either way, I don’t think we will land any of them.

I would love if we could, I just don’t see it. It is kind of frustrating as a fan watching elite, elite talent from our backyard go elsewhere, but such is recruiting.

We can still end up having a very solid recruiting class, even without any of the three.

Comment

• CDC84
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Re:

What has also not helped Gonzaga recently with in state recruiting is the lack of Gonzaga level talent on the eastern half of the state. There have been no players at the level of Ammo, Pendo, Josh, etc. But these things come in waves. The staff have thankfully done a great job of taking this program to a national level so that when the well runs dry w/ backyard talent, the program continues to prosper.

Comment

• BobZag
                      Dark Lord of the Zag
                      • Jan 2007

I think if Rick Barnes from Texas comes on strong for Bradley, the kid will go there.

We may not see any in-state recruits, but we will see recruits who really want to be Zags. We will always try for in-state kids, but even more imporantly, we will go after kids who love Gonzaga.

Comment

• Hoopmeister
                        Redshirt
                        • Jul 2007

I'm a huge fan of the Bellermine boys. To bad...too darn bad....Maybe one of them will become a Zag after a year at glamor University. Sometimes you've got to go through Hell to find Heaven.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Rebornzagfan
                          cggonzaga says, "So to go along with CDC on this our 09 class could look like this:

Cunningham
                          Marshall
                          Osweiler
                          Smith"

I don't see any kid from Washington on that last. I truly hope that we are able to continue to sign kids from Washington. I love our state and truly believe we have elite high school players in this state. I will continue to believe that we get one of the high recruits right here in our state. I think this is very important in building team chemistry. Come on. Were's the pride in our state?

We'll get one, at least, from Silva, Gaddy, Bradley. Are there any bigs out there someplace in our state? Are you telling me that Romar is able to out-recruit Few in our state?

GU is different from UW or WSU as far as the 'state' that it recruits from. GU is the Catholic university for the 'Inland Empire.' It can legitimately look at Western MT, North Idaho and Washington as its rightful recruiting grounds because kids from those areas all consider GU to be a legitimate regional choice for school. It is obviously an advantage in the case of Osweiler.
                          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• BobZag
                            Dark Lord of the Zag
                            • Jan 2007

Affirmed
                            Man 'o War
                            Citation
                            Ruffian
                            Rags to Riches
                            Seattle Slew
                            Marshall to go to SMC
                            Each is debatable, though. Alydar was far better at stud than Affirmed, and beat Affirmed a few times on the track. There's a good argument for Secretariat, too. I think War Admiral was darn near as great as his daddy Man 'o War. Trivia: Serena's Song was bred by Jordan Farmar's grandfather.

Is Garry Marshall going to teach directing at SMC?

Comment

Working...
                            X