PDA

View Full Version : Andy Poling article

GoGU
02-23-2013, 10:04 AM
This article appeared this morning in The Oregonian (Portland's major daily newspaper). Gives a little insight into his transfer and what he's been doing since.

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegebasketball/index.ssf/2013/02/ex-westview_star_andy_poling_t.html

Zag@LMU
02-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Not to be rude, but I couldn't care less about Poling, Gibbs, Spangler, Manny, Wiltjer, or any other players that didn't have what it took to make it here. It's all about this U, if we played them, they'd be out there trying to beat us. I wouldn't care if those guys never played a minute of basketball again.

Edit: I wrote this right after waking up, and I'm a terrible morning person so this probably came off harsher that I meant it. I'm not wishing failure on anyone, I'm just saying that in terms of basketball, these guys decided they would rather be somewhere else than here. So no, I don't cheer for them, just as I don't cheer for any other schools.

RenoZag
02-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Usually when people start a comment with "Not to be rude. . ." they are.

The above is no exception.

007Zag
02-23-2013, 11:09 AM
+1, Reno. Z@L, you're usually a better poster than this. I wish them well, and hope they do well wherever they go. The only reason I would feel any bitterness is if any of them comported themselves poorly, and none of them did. Good luck to Andy, GG, Meech, Manny, et. al.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-23-2013, 11:13 AM
I wish them well but don't care what they're doing. I guess I can look the other way.

Z@L is correct IMO when he says that if we played them they would be out there trying to beat us...

ZagNative
02-23-2013, 12:43 PM
ZN: Memo to self ... "When you have someone like Zag@LMU on your "ignore" list, there's a reason for it. Save yourself the aggravation and don't peek."

Thanks for posting the story, GoGU. I enjoyed it.

azzagfan
02-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Not to be rude, but I couldn't care less about Poling, Gibbs, Spangler, Manny, Wiltjer, or any other players that didn't have what it took to make it here. It's all about this U, if we played them, they'd be out there trying to beat us. I wouldn't care if those guys never played a minute of basketball again.

Unbelievable. I thought Zag fans were of a caliber where they could view the team and the game in the proper perspective. That's why I joined this board 6 years ago. There is significantly more to life than Gonzaga hoops, and I firmly believe that the attitude depicted above is not representative of the greater Gonzaga community.

exclusivelee
02-23-2013, 12:53 PM

Haters gonna hate.

Not every player will be right for Few's system.

I like to see former Zags do well despite transfering. Poling, Gibbs, and Manny weren't getting the minutes they wanted and it didn't look like they'd pick up those minutes for the Zags, but they have been able to prove themselves in other teams' systems.

Spangler saw that Kelly would return to the team, Karnowski was coming in, and Elias wasn't getting enough respect to get drafted, so he knew his minutes wouldn't improve soon enough (even though he was impressive for us under limited minutes)

I miss what Spangler and Manny could do for the Zags the most out of recent transfers.

zag67
02-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Not to be rude, but maybe Zag@LMU should think about another school.

I like to hear about previous players, like Poling. When he was recruited he did not have the bacteria that put him back and then was behind. I for one try to follow all of the zags that are gone, including players like MM who is playing in Germany. Not everyone has to be a superstar to deserve respect for competing and wanting to compete somewhere else if they find that they will not be able to beat the players they are at GU. Most of them still enjoyed their time here and I hope that we have improved them as people and players. When you see players like Gibbs, Manny, Poling, and MM competing and being productive at other schools, that should make you proud. Next year we will have Spangler and MK joining that list.

Also when you think about it, their leaving is no different than a Morrison or Daye leaving early, so I guess that you did not root for them either.

Zag@LMU
02-23-2013, 03:41 PM
I wish them well but don't care what they're doing. I guess I can look the other way.

Z@L is correct IMO when he says that if we played them they would be out there trying to beat us...

Thank you for grasping what I'm saying. I'm not wishing a career ending injury or failure on anyone. But there's so much talk on this board about our past players. Lets focus on the players that are out there trying to win the national championship for US, not someone else. Our players deserve our attention, not those that are practicing everyday to steal it from us.

Zag@LMU
02-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Not to be rude, but maybe Zag@LMU should think about another school.

I like to hear about previous players, like Poling. When he was recruited he did not have the bacteria that put him back and then was behind. I for one try to follow all of the zags that are gone, including players like MM who is playing in Germany. Not everyone has to be a superstar to deserve respect for competing and wanting to compete somewhere else if they find that they will not be able to beat the players they are at GU. Most of them still enjoyed their time here and I hope that we have improved them as people and players. When you see players like Gibbs, Manny, Poling, and MM competing and being productive at other schools, that should make you proud. Next year we will have Spangler and MK joining that list.

Also when you think about it, their leaving is no different than a Morrison or Daye leaving early, so I guess that you did not root for them either.
Last I checked the Pistons and bobcats were not NCAA tournament potentials.

sittingon50
02-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Don't open the threads on the transfers then, LMU. It ain't that tough.

FuManShoes
02-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Good story and no idea where Zag@LMU's animosity comes from. This struck me as interesting. So who's the bad guy?

Poling figured to end up at another Division I school. He checked out Portland State, Fresno State, Idaho, and Nevada. He liked the University of Portland, but Gonzaga wouldn’t release him to play for another West Coast Conference school. Poling said a combination of location, tradition and coaching staff sold him on Seattle Pacific.