PDA

View Full Version : SSF: "Staff Assembling A Promising Pipeline"

ZagNative
02-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Slipper Still Fits (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2014-gonzaga-recruiting/2013/2/21/4014088/2014-gonzaga-recruiting-big-board-staff-assembling-a-promising) has become pretty much my sole source for recruiting news. They work hard at filtering the noise from reality and distilling information.

Don't miss their latest offering of recruits in the pipeline.

hooter73
02-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Just read that this morning. Never really put it all together on how much we need a big 2014 recruiting class. Great work!

thespywhozaggedme
02-22-2013, 12:01 PM
This comment from the link disappointed me:

If Duke comes through with an offer than it will be 0%.

It just reeks of the "woe is me" hat in hand, "oh well, Duke offered, now we have no shot, let's slink away" mentality. Karno had a Duke offer and still chose us. I keep saying this over and over, but it has to sink in, for fans too: We are a top 10 powerhouse program, it's time to start thinking and acting like it.

BroncoZAG615
02-22-2013, 12:07 PM

It just reeks of the "woe is me" hat in hand, "oh well, Duke offered, now we have no shot, let's slink away" mentality. Karno had a Duke offer and still chose us. I keep saying this over and over, but it has to sink in, for fans too: We are a top 10 powerhouse program, it's time to start thinking and acting like it.

Grayson Allen is from the East Coast (Jax, FL), has visited Duke, has been visited by Coach K, and has been considered a Duke lean for some time. That is why I wrote that. I don't have a fear of Duke when it comes to recruiting. One of Josh Perkins' final nine is Duke - I still think GU has a great shot regardless of whether or not Duke offers.

I appreciate the kind words, ZN. The 2014 pipeline is VERY encouraging. It has been fun having a Colorado kid in the mix again. I've been down to see Perkins several times and he is as good as advertised and I hope he continues to be a major priority for the staff.

kclubfounder
02-22-2013, 12:12 PM

Why does it reek of "woe is me"? I suspect the author has done quite a bit of homework on all of the prospects listed, and this is the one prospect where it is believed the kid wants to go to Duke if Duke will have him. If the author's research has uncovered that tidbit, why the heck wouldn't he convey it in his report?

Bouldin4Prez
02-22-2013, 12:15 PM
I understand where you are coming from spy, but I think that SSF is saying that Duke may be his dream school. I think the main problem with us not seeing 5 star type recruits isn't because of our success as a program but with a lack of talent in Eastern, Washington. All of the big kids on the west side of the state have UW to go to, and Portland has the Oregon schools that receive most of that talent. It's tough to go into other school's recruiting grounds and nab a 5 star recruit from right under them when these kids have been rooting for their favorite schools since they were 5 and now want them to play there. Just my two cents.

kclubfounder
02-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Whoops. Bronco's response slipped in while I was commenting.

Great work Bronco. Thanks.

DixieZag
02-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Man it would be nice to go deep deep deep this year to position ourselves to re-stock the roster in 2014-15. We're gonna need to really ramp up to replace the level we have.

thespywhozaggedme
02-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Grayson Allen is from the East Coast (Jax, FL), has visited Duke, has been visited by Coach K, and has been considered a Duke lean for some time. That is why I wrote that. I don't have a fear of Duke when it comes to recruiting. One of Josh Perkins' final nine is Duke - I still think GU has a great shot regardless of whether or not Duke offers.
I appreciate the kind words, ZN. The 2014 pipeline is VERY encouraging. It has been fun having a Colorado kid in the mix again. I've been down to see Perkins several times and he is as good as advertised and I hope he continues to be a major priority for the staff.

Okay, then I stand corrected. My apologies. I do appreciate the work, btw.

ZagNative
02-22-2013, 12:49 PM
SSF is also a "must follow" on twitter. They link stories about promising recruits mentioning Gonzaga. Much appreciated.

BroncoZAG615
02-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Okay, then I stand corrected. My apologies. I do appreciate the work, btw.

No worries at all, I realize how that can look. I too hate reading "Oh school X is after him so there's no chance we get him now". Drives me crazy.

I do expect the staff to make a pretty big push for Grayson. I am just hesitant because he has a number of huge East Coast offers. It is the same reason I have a hard time seeing Reid Travis leaving the Midwest. We'll see though, the staff is pursuing both with earnest.

BobZag
02-22-2013, 01:16 PM
SSF is also a "must follow" on twitter. They link stories about promising recruits mentioning Gonzaga. Much appreciated.

@slipperstillfit (note no "s" on fits as Twitter only allows so many characters)

Well, Spy, if Gonzaga truly offers Kendall Small, there's near 0 chance he goes anywhere else. I'm very optimistic for 2014 and 2015. Keep us posted, Zach!

ZagNative
02-22-2013, 03:54 PM
What do you think, Bronco? Do they have this right?

LeftCoastRecruiting ‏@LC_Recruiting

Gonzaga came out to check on 2014 Donaven Dorsey. The Zags have made Dorsey their #1 prospect for the class of 2014

BobZag
02-22-2013, 04:11 PM

I'm not Bronco, but for sure #1 in-state prospect. Few even stopped by before going down to Moraga last week. He doesn't usually do that before big games.

BroncoZAG615
02-23-2013, 06:18 AM

He's definitely up there. They have visited him a number of times over the past year and Few has taken a personal interest, which is saying something.

I would say that Dorsey, Josh Perkins, and Malik Pope are getting the most attention from the staff at this time. The guy I really, really like is a recent offer: Parker Jackson-Cartwright. I'd love to get a solid PG in 2014 to come in and learn under Pangos. He's visiting 'Zona this weekend but we'll see if the staff can get him on an official.