PDA

View Full Version : Feb. 22 Bracketology

Section 116
02-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Mods, has this one been posted yet? I haven't seen it if it has. Thanks!!!

Zags #1 in the West region:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

DixieZag
02-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks!

Here is why these are fun and good to see. We get to see a mix of hypotherical paths through the tournament, none are going to be right but it is good to see good and bad routes.

This one

Mercer
St. Louis/Missouri
Ok. State/Georgetown
Michigan/Arizona

Obviously it will be tough no matter who you play - but seeing the possibilities makes you realize how tough it would be. I do like seeing AZ lined up high against us - - don't really like those Michigan men there.

primal23
02-22-2013, 10:20 AM
St Louis in the 2nd round would be a rough one.

novazag2
02-22-2013, 10:23 AM
So would Missouri.

rennis
02-22-2013, 10:24 AM
St Louis in the 2nd round would be a rough one.

shag-load better than the East Bracket, where Illinois is an 8 Seed.

#NoThankYou

sittingon50
02-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Missouri can't win away from home.

primal23
02-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Missouri can't win away from home.

I'm curious to see how St Louis does tonight against Butler @ Butler. They sure dismantled them at SLU. Don't expect the same, but could be a good game.

I really really really don't want to see them, would much prefer Missouri.

bartruff1
02-22-2013, 11:16 AM
But when you see the teams you have to beat to advance you have a better idea of how difficult it will be to run the gantlet or is it gauntlet or ... whatever...it will be no day at the beach... no cake walk...no picnic...no slam dunk...no...

gozagswoohoo
02-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Being from Missouri, I know both Mizz and SLU fairly well.

While it would be both a dream and a nightmare to play them (a dream because I think we would win, and I could REALLY have some big time bragging rights over about 225 friends of mine, and a nightmare on the very very slim chance we would actually LOSE), I would LOVE the chance.

Mizzou has one of the best guards in all of college basketball in Phil Pressey. If Hart/Geebes could 'contain/frustrate' him, we would, in my opinion, beat them by double digits. If Pressey doesn't do a whole lot, Bowers is good but not good enough to take over an entire game.

SLU, on the other hand, would not be all that fun to watch (crazy good defense). I still think we win this game, but wow, their defense is pretty spectacular. They're also playing FANTASTIC right now. When Santa Clara beat SLU at SLU, I think they were still getting used to their interim coach. But, he has them playing VERY WELL right now.

That being said, SLU hasn't really proven themselves on the road yet. They have a couple decent wins on the road, but nothing big. They have been playing a ton of home games, and it's hard to know what to expect from them away from home (which is why I am REALLY anxious for their matchup @ Butler tonight). But, when all is said and done, SLU would have NO answer for Harris and KO. And as good as their defense is, it would not stop us. That's why our team is so good, we have TOO many weapons coming at you from all directions.

Oh, and one last thought, SLU is going to win the A10 and quite possibly their conf tourney. If they did both of those, I see them more like a 6 seed anyway....

BUT REGARDLESS, BASKETBALL GODS, PLEASE GIVE ME A GONZAGA vs MIZZ/SLU MATCHUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zagger
02-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Zags are improving steadily and noticeably. I no longer worry about who they play nor when they play them - I believe they can hold their own against any team. But, it sure would be nice to have them playing closer to home!
Go Zags!

webspinnre
02-22-2013, 11:25 AM
But when you see the teams you have to beat to advance you have a better idea of how difficult it will be to run the gantlet or is it gauntlet or ... whatever...it will be no day at the beach... no cake walk...no picnic...no slam dunk...no...

And that's the thing. Ultimately it comes down to matchups and execution. Still, the higher the seed, the better, in general.

Oregonzagnut
02-22-2013, 11:32 AM
They switched the location too. The #1/#16 seed game was in Lexington previously. So apparently, even the location and what seed a location gets is up to the committee. I bet the locations are only promised a certain number of games for advertising and revenue, but the committee can adjust what games are put in what locations. A SLC location was brought in from another pod and some other pod got a Lexington.

Gonzaga is getting preference!! Our 2 seed year we did not get preference.

webspinnre
02-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Yes, location has nothing to do with seeding, and everything to do with who is there. Location for the pods is almost always based on the highest seed(s), unless those locations are already taken by other higher seeds. Not at all tied to seed #s or to regional sites.

Shanachie
02-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Gonzaga is getting preference!! Our 2 seed year we did not get preference.

Seattle isn't a preferential location?

McZag
02-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Anybody reading those comments?

In order to garner that much hate, one must possess something very special. The amount of jealousy those folks are expressing is surprising. Most of them seem to root for large conference teams so it's shocking that they let the likes of a "Gonzaga", whatever that is, get them so fired up.

If I am a confident Mich State, Ind, Cuse, Florida, KU, Zona or the like fan, the last thing I worry about is a Gonzaga. There has got to be something to cause all the hate and angst right? Hmmmmmmmm.

IrishZagFan
02-22-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm sure there are a lot of teams/fans out there that are looking at these brackets and are saying, I hope we DON'T have to play Gonzaga.......

DixieZag
02-22-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm sure there are a lot of teams/fans out there that are looking at these brackets and are saying, I hope we DON'T have to play Gonzaga.......

The smart ones - absolutely.

The casual ones, no, I suspect they believe they are getting mana from heaven by getting the Zags and not a BCS factory.

gueastcoast
02-22-2013, 01:02 PM
If I am a confident Mich State, Ind, Cuse, Florida, KU, Zona or the like fan, the last thing I worry about is a Gonzaga. There has got to be something to cause all the hate and angst right? Hmmmmmmmm.

This.

I think there is also something else going on, and as a twenty-plus-year exile living on the East Coast, I think it's relatively simple but overlooked.

Most casual college bb fans (or the ones who post on message boards, rather) are "homers" and primarily follow their team or maybe their team's conference. Certainly, they are not as well-informed as most active posters on the GUB :) As a result, in many (although not all) cases, their teams have the typical BCS schedule -- a relatively benign/cupcake OOC and then their "tough" conference schedule (air quotes for the SEC).

As a result, when they see our lofty ranking and record, and click an espn or SI link that shows who is in our conference or see whom we have beaten during conference when these folks start paying attention (i.e., after college football season has ended), they think we are given too much credit for beating the Little Sisters of the Poor and their ilk. They have little or no appreciation for the OOC schedule GU plays.

As we all know, all of that can be easily refuted by looking at our RPI, SOS, KenPom ranking, etc., but that takes work. Moreover, most of these people are graduates of state schools, and thus are difficult to reason with generally :vomit-smiley-007:

BobZag
02-22-2013, 01:34 PM
I want to play Mercer four times on our road to the final 4.

DixieZag
02-22-2013, 01:46 PM

Well, if you are a #1 seed at least you get to play them once.

It is eye opening to see the "gauntlet" that must be run for anyone to get to the FF. But, it is also interesting to see how big an advantage a one seed confers. Think about the road that a 16 / 8-9 / 4-5 offers to the elite 8 versus, say a 3 seed - 14/6/2 - - wow, I realize that the match-ups are very important and there is crazy "madness" every year but I would just assume have the 16-8-4 path to the E8 as any, thanks. Hope we get it, hope for best, prepare to be shocked.

novazag2
02-23-2013, 06:57 AM

I think we should play a best of seven with Mercer and the winner is automatically the 2013 NCAA Champion. I'm sure we would probably sweep them, but just in case we have an off game, you know. I think most people would think that's fair.....right?

mgadfly
02-23-2013, 07:10 AM
Being from Missouri, I know both Mizz and SLU fairly well.

While it would be both a dream and a nightmare to play them (a dream because I think we would win, and I could REALLY have some big time bragging rights over about 225 friends of mine, and a nightmare on the very very slim chance we would actually LOSE), I would LOVE the chance.

Mizzou has one of the best guards in all of college basketball in Phil Pressey. If Hart/Geebes could 'contain/frustrate' him, we would, in my opinion, beat them by double digits. If Pressey doesn't do a whole lot, Bowers is good but not good enough to take over an entire game.

SLU, on the other hand, would not be all that fun to watch (crazy good defense). I still think we win this game, but wow, their defense is pretty spectacular. They're also playing FANTASTIC right now. When Santa Clara beat SLU at SLU, I think they were still getting used to their interim coach. But, he has them playing VERY WELL right now.

That being said, SLU hasn't really proven themselves on the road yet. They have a couple decent wins on the road, but nothing big. They have been playing a ton of home games, and it's hard to know what to expect from them away from home (which is why I am REALLY anxious for their matchup @ Butler tonight). But, when all is said and done, SLU would have NO answer for Harris and KO. And as good as their defense is, it would not stop us. That's why our team is so good, we have TOO many weapons coming at you from all directions.

Oh, and one last thought, SLU is going to win the A10 and quite possibly their conf tourney. If they did both of those, I see them more like a 6 seed anyway....

BUT REGARDLESS, BASKETBALL GODS, PLEASE GIVE ME A GONZAGA vs MIZZ/SLU MATCHUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the games I've seen this year Pressey has either disappeared or been bad (sort of like Carlino from BYU). I don't think he is one of the best guards in the country. Maybe he has the potential to be, but he hasn't lived up to it this year. Last year, when he was asked to do a little less he was a lot better.

My concern with playing Mizzou is Oriakhi/Criswell/Bowers and all that rebounding. We have the size and rebounding advantage on most teams, but Mizzou has veteran big guys and are one of the best rebounding teams in the country.

It'd be interesting to go against Keion Bell again.

bartruff1
02-23-2013, 07:17 AM
I think we should play a best of seven with Mercer and the winner is automatically the 2013 NCAA Champion. I'm sure we would probably sweep them, but just in case we have an off game, you know. I think most people would think that's fair.....right?

We need to get that #1 seed...I don't think a #1 has ever lost the warm up against a 16 ???...but, I think last year there were two #15's that upset #2's.

It would be a nightmare if Gonzaga would be the first #1 to lose to a 16.

But it would be fun to read the board....fire Few ....get a rope !!!