PDA

View Full Version : Zags Radio Network Grows

Angelo Roncalli
02-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Stations in Wenatchee and Moses Lake join the network tonight.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2013/feb/20/local-espn-radio-stations-to-broadcast-gonzaga/

WenatcheeZag
02-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Used to be on a clear night and if I held my nose by my right hand and touched my right knee with my left hand and put my right foot on my desk, I could pick up Spokane for Zags broadcasts. Now I just have to turn on my radio. Very cool.

Thanks for the news, funny I have to hear this on the forum first. Of course the local paper doesn't get here until late afternoon, so I shouldn't be surprised.

DixieZag
02-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Am I correct in that there is no station in the Seattle area that is yet part of the network?

I realize that there never has been in the past, but I would have to believe that another year or two of increased interest like this and some station in Seattle will pick them up. That would be a big financial pick-up for the school. I think.

Am I right about the last part? Any part?

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-20-2013, 02:42 PM
For those of us who live outside of the northwest, is anybody aware of an online streaming broadcast of Santangelo's play by play?

I usually watch the Justintv stream (thanks to Philly and Fly) for the games that are not broadcast on national networks. I think I'd prefer to listen to the radio broadcast with it, instead of the Heister commentary.

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-20-2013, 02:53 PM
And San Diego is next, right? ;)

Actually, the guys who call the USD games do a pretty solid job.

Angelo Roncalli
02-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Am I correct in that there is no station in the Seattle area that is yet part of the network?

I realize that there never has been in the past, but I would have to believe that another year or two of increased interest like this and some station in Seattle will pick them up. That would be a big financial pick-up for the school. I think.

Am I right about the last part? Any part?

There is no Seattle station, yet.

Shelton is the nearest.

The athletic department, various alumni, and IMG have been working for years on getting a Seattle station. Hopefully, one will be lined up for next season. It will NOT be a big financial pickup.

You can frequently hear KGA 1510 in Seattle.

75Zag
02-20-2013, 03:03 PM
I know there is limited interest in GU in the Portland metro area, but with the Jesuit HS connection and the various players who have been at GU from Clark County over the years I would like to think we are a decent potential radio audience. I think I know of 15 - 20 avid GU fans in this area who may have some control over varying amounts of potential advertising dollars. I wonder how tough it would be to get the Bulldogs on live radio down here. No disrespect to my friends at UP, but I am thinking that if UP can find sufficient sponsors for their games on live radio, GU should be able to do as well or perhaps much better.

Go Bulldogs!

jazzdelmar
02-20-2013, 03:04 PM
KGA is not on any of the radio apps, such as I-Heart....why is that? Wd love to listen to Matt anytime. Neither does KGA stream games online...odd.

75Zag
02-20-2013, 03:09 PM
I am told that KGA does not stream GU games because GU restricts rights. At one time (maybe still) GU offered a pay-per-listen subscription plan for games which allowed you to hear the KGA broadcast via audio stream. Audio streaming has its place, but generally speaking if I can get audio streaming I will just watch the game on my phone or computer. It is places like in my car where I would really like to be able to listen to GU games as I drive around the Portand metro area on game nights. I suppose some of you have internet audio streaming in your cars but I and my 2002 Honda Accord are not quite there yet.

Go Bulldogs!

MDABE80
02-20-2013, 03:22 PM
KGA has an internet feed........I listen to it.

Angelo Roncalli
02-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Its my understanding that all games played by GU when ranked have been/will be broadcast on SeriusXM satellite radio.

DixieZag
02-20-2013, 03:59 PM

Shelton is the nearest.

The athletic department, various alumni, and IMG have been working for years on getting a Seattle station. Hopefully, one will be lined up for next season. It will NOT be a big financial pickup.

Thanks for the feedback Angelo. It's kinda funny, right after I wrote "it would be a big financial pickup, I think." - - I thought to myself, "I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about" so I giggled and put the "am I right?" questions in.

Part of me wishes that GU would become adopted even more statewide in order to increase revenue through merchandise, ads etc. But, there is another part of me that thinks the Seattle folks couldn't spell "GU" when I was at school and so why should they get to claim part of my school now???

Rangerzag
02-20-2013, 05:32 PM

Shelton is the nearest.

AR, have you, or anyone you know, successfully tuned in the last year or so?

My understanding is KGA ownership reduced the station broadcast power and chose to no longer present a clear channel broadcast. If so, I hope GU was compensated for the reduced size of potential audience.

I think it allowed them to boost the output of some California station they figured would rake in more dough for them.