PDA

View Full Version : Monday morning Polls - where will they put us?

ZagsGoZags
02-17-2013, 12:14 AM
We definitely have the nation's media attention.
about an hour before lunchtime on Monday what kind of attention will we get from the pollsters...
considering our best wins have 'only' been Okl ST and Kansas St?

Coaches Poll has us at 3 - where will we be, and how many "1" votes?
AP Poll has us at 5 - what will happen there, and how many "1" votes?

Oregonzagnut
02-17-2013, 12:18 AM
IMO, we will be #2 in coaches, but move up to #3 in AP.

Zags11
02-17-2013, 12:37 AM
IMO, we will be #2 in coaches, but move up to #3 in AP.

This.

cdools
02-17-2013, 04:36 AM
You know what I love most about this team? That all the hype that surrounds them and all the talk of where they should be ranked this year and where they should be ranked in terms of all-time Zags teams is meaningless! This group of players really has a spirit of synergy and all they do is work hard together and look at the next game on their schedule...Ironic that people all across the nation talk about big wins that teams have but for the Zags the best thing to happen may have been the tough loss at Butler...That loss galvanized their commitment to each other and to the process in front of them. They know that games are not played on paper or in some ranking committee board room. As a Zags fan I admire this mature approach and think it bodes well for a deep run in the NCAA tournament. Here's hoping it's a long run! Go Zags!

jazzdelmar
02-17-2013, 04:51 AM
Spell it CHEMISTRY. Not a selfish bone on the team.

Reborn
02-17-2013, 05:05 AM
You know what I love most about this team? That all the hype that surrounds them and all the talk of where they should be ranked this year and where they should be ranked in terms of all-time Zags teams is meaningless! This group of players really has a spirit of synergy and all they do is work hard together and look at the next game on their schedule...Ironic that people all across the nation talk about big wins that teams have but for the Zags the best thing to happen may have been the tough loss at Butler...That loss galvanized their commitment to each other and to the process in front of them. They know that games are not played on paper or in some ranking committee board room. As a Zags fan I admire this mature approach and think it bodes well for a deep run in the NCAA tournament. Here's hoping it's a long run! Go Zags!

Great post, cdools, with good ideas. The team is very focussed.

In my opinion, I think the Zags will go to #4 in AP and #2 in coaches poll. They seem to go up one slot each week in the AP so I hope this trend continues. Here is my top 10.

Indiana
Miami
Gonzaga
Syracuse
Florida
Michigan St
Michigan
Duke
Kansas St
Butler

I was extremely irritated last night when I saw that Joe Lunardi still has Duke as a #1 seed after losing to a team who committed 25 turnovers against them and still won. That is mighty weak, Joe. Mighty Weak. I had a lot more respct for Mr Lundari before last night.

Zagger
02-17-2013, 06:07 AM
#3 - maybe even a #2 in one poll or the other. Plus, the Zags will see more #1 votes next to their name.
When a team has the depth, shooting efficiency, defense and FT shooting % to boot that the Zags have + the intangibles (capped by being such a solid team as many have mentioned) I would not be surprised to see the Zags at #1 sometime this year. The Zags are a very good team on the cusp of being a great team.

ZagMan in Philly
02-17-2013, 06:47 AM
Only Indiana should be ahead imho.

LongIslandZagFan
02-17-2013, 08:16 AM
#3 in both. Think that is the ceiling unless top teams really falter.

Doesn't mean I don't think they should be higher.

gu03alum
02-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Those East Coast ####oles will move us down to 7 in both polls

Rangerzag
02-17-2013, 08:41 AM
I was extremely irritated last night when I saw that Joe Lunardi still has Duke as a #1 seed after losing to a team who committed 25 turnovers against them and still won. That is mighty weak, Joe. Mighty Weak. I had a lot more respct for Mr Lundari before last night.

Reborn, I hope you do not get your heart broken when, on selection Sunday, perception (yours) runs headlong into reality (the committee's).

This is not a question that benefits from analysis in the light of fairness. The selection committee will not give a rip about fairness, especially from the eyes of those they consider to be from mid-major conferences.

I believe rpi is one of the best predictors of seeding. As of this morning the easily found rpi displays of both CBSSports and ESPN show Duke as the team with the best rpi rating. The Zags show as eleventh or twelfth. There is more season to play out and numbers will change. I am optimistically hoping for the Zags to be a two seed.

I am very familiar with Lunardi's current predictions, but remember he is better known for predicting who gets in the door, not how the dance cards are stacked.

My memory of the committee is it being stacked with members from the heavy weight conferences and all the stereotypical beliefs that come along. Their choices will reflect those beliefs if not also on which side their bread is buttered.

SteelZag
02-17-2013, 08:54 AM
One of the ESPN writers had a tweet about Lunardi and Duke's #1 seed. Something to the effect of, If a #1 team gets beat by a team that commits 25 TO's, were they really a #1 team?

Kong-Kool-Aid
02-17-2013, 08:57 AM
#4 AP, #3 Coaches.

exclusivelee
02-17-2013, 09:01 AM
In my opinion, I think the Zags will go to #4 in AP and #2 in coaches poll. They seem to go up one slot each week in the AP so I hope this trend continues. Here is my top 10.

Indiana
Miami
Gonzaga
Syracuse
Florida
Michigan St
Michigan
Duke
Kansas St
Butler

Syracuse will move down some notches. They lost to UConn this week
With losses from (#9/9) Arizona, (#10/11) Kansas St, & (#11/10) Butler, I could see (#14/13) Kansas moving back in the ton 10 with their 2 wins this week (over Kansas St & Texas) and (#12/12) Louisville too (if they beat South Florida today).

UKWildcatsFan
02-17-2013, 03:11 PM
I think they'll go up to #2 in the Coaches Poll and #2 in the AP Poll (if Miami losses) or #3 in the AP Poll (if Miami wins).