PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga is weak and has not beaten anyone.

The509sfinest
02-16-2013, 09:29 PM
According to the people over at Dukes place. Funny to read.
http://duke.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1690&tid=185251447&mid=185251447&sid=1021&style=2

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Even the Winklevoss twins think Duke fans are elitist.

Zag@LMU
02-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Lol what a bunch of fools. Oh we'll, we'd demolish them home or away.

The509sfinest
02-17-2013, 10:11 AM
What really got me was when one of them said they could take any of the top 20 teams, replace them with gonzaga and have them go undefeated in the wcc

spike_jr
02-17-2013, 10:29 AM
What really got me was when one of them said they could take any of the top 20 teams, replace them with gonzaga and have them go undefeated in the wcc

Does going undefeated include home and home with GU?

Zagnificent
02-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Is this not virtually the same Duke team that lost to Lehigh in the tournament? The same team that was utterly embarrassed by Miami, and lost road games to decent but certainly not elite NC State and Maryland? I'd take Duke in the tournament any day.

DixieZag
02-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Yeah, the ACC is soooo tough this year.

I don't get the "weak conference" argument if a team is undefeated in it. What are we supposed to do?

Besides I can name several teams off the top of my head capable of losing to Maryland.

SunDevilGolfZag
02-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Duke board is always an easy place to get a good dose of arrogance and elitism. They are what they are

hooter73
02-17-2013, 11:05 AM
i dont think theyre right by any means as every year we have one of the toughest out of conference schedules in the nation, but yet again we see the results of our conference partners playing all junior college teams and then losing the one top 50 game they get paid to play in. I dont think we'd run the gauntlet and win like we do now in any of the big conferences but i dont hear this type of talk when UCLA, Cal, Arizona... get press for best in the west. I think they dont like that we win. Punish success, that's the new motto of the FSA society we live in today.

zagamatic
02-17-2013, 11:06 AM
You don't have to look far to make a legitimate argument that the Zags deserve it over duke if you look at common opponents. Oklahoma state crushed NC State by 20. NC State beats duke. We beat Oklahoma State at their place which even Kansas couldn't do. Yes , if they had their Kelly, they'd probably be doing better and deserve it. But they don't have their Kelly and we do have ours. And oh yeah, let's see duke come take on St Marie's or BYU at their place and see how they do?
Not to mention, I think a requirement of being a "1" seed should be that you can't have been blown out by 27 points like duke was by Miami or 30 like Michigan was by Michigan State

MTZag03
02-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Does going undefeated include home and home with GU?

Best comment ever. I'd love to see Duke agree to a home and home with us, but we all know they won't.

Zags11
02-17-2013, 11:11 AM
DUKE IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Seriously, someone is upset that they got upset by their mid tier conference opponent.

MTZag03
02-17-2013, 11:13 AM
I really give them credit after reading the responses to Sittington50's post on their board. They engaged cordially and were not a bunch of trolls. They were pretty cool and game some grudging respect to GU.

gamagin
02-17-2013, 11:31 AM
you da (wo)man ! !

way to represent

TheOtherGreatOne
02-17-2013, 11:42 AM
i don't remember anyone holding olynyk to 4 points,which is exactly what duke's player of the year candidate plumlee scored against mighty maryland yesterday.

JPtheBeasta
02-17-2013, 11:42 AM
I really give them credit after reading the responses to Sittington50's post on their board. They engaged cordially and were not a bunch of trolls. They were pretty cool and game some grudging respect to GU.

+1. I'm sure they represent the opinions of many (including Seth Davis). Even if we were a 1 seed now, I think we would lose that after the conference tournaments. If one other team was ranked in the WCC it would help our cause a lot. I'm hoping we hang on for a 2 seed.

Sittingon50 made an excellent post over there, though; it really is a good apologetic for GU's resume.

mgadfly
02-17-2013, 11:45 AM
I'm kind of hoping Duke gets beat by a Big12 team (a "no one" team) in the tourney.

I don't think we are as good as Duke is, and I think they do the best job in the nation with their scheduling, but we have beat some good teams this season.

ZagsBaby
02-17-2013, 11:58 AM
So we'd lose to a 16 seed. lol

So we're going to lose to SCU or USD in the wcc tournament lol

surfmonkey89
02-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Who cares.

Beat Santa Clara.

zagamatic
02-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Jay Williams just said "I think gonzaga is the last one seed. Duke fans must remember what duke team this is. No Ryan Kelly". Or something like that. Can't remember his exact words. But he is a former duke star after all. Btw , Clemson is only down 2 at the half

JPtheBeasta
02-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Even the Winklevoss twins think Duke fans are elitist.

Perfect :] Thanks for the laugh.

MickMick
02-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Dook Shmook.

I watched them lose to a Maryland team that turned the ball over 25 times.

Does anyone here ever, ever, I mean ever......recall GU losing to a team that turned it over 25 times?

Didn't think so.

Would love to see any team not named Florida or from the Big Ten as the top seed in GU's region. Duke fans can jump for joy all they want to when they draw Lehigh, er I mean Gonzaga. Hell....Santa Clara had coach K crapping his pants.

Remember Clemson's competent defense (Old Spice Classic) in an otherwise snoozer GU victory? To this point, their claim to fame is sweeping Georgia Tech. Clemson just held Miami to 43. Miami's offense wiped the floor with Duke. Fans on the East coast think Miami is an offensive juggernaught because of it.

Dook Shmook.

adoptedzag
02-17-2013, 05:29 PM
While I don't know about the legitimacy of the OP's topic's subject, the Duke fans bring up a very valid point. Our conference simply will not allow for a #1 seed, barring some spectacular blowups by about 6 teams. We can't do anything about that, but what we can do things about is winning games.

Here's to the Zags running the table and giving the committee the tough decision.

:)

MickMick
02-17-2013, 05:48 PM
While I don't know about the legitimacy of the OP's topic's subject, the Duke fans bring up a very valid point. Our conference simply will not allow for a #1 seed, barring some spectacular blowups by about 6 teams. We can't do anything about that, but what we can do things about is winning games.

Here's to the Zags running the table and giving the committee the tough decision.

Duke fans holding you captive.

Stockholm syndrome, or capture–bonding, is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness. The FBI's Hostage Barricade Database System shows that roughly 27% of victims show evidence of Stockholm syndrome.

SteelZag
02-17-2013, 06:09 PM
from MickMick:

Does anyone here ever, ever, I mean ever......recall GU losing to a team that turned it over 25 times?

From ESPN last night,

One of the ESPN writers had a tweet about Lunardi and Duke's #1 seed. Something to the effect of, If a #1 team gets beat by a team that commits 25 TO's, were they really a #1 team?

LongIslandZagFan
02-18-2013, 06:04 AM

Depends on whether we are discussing realities or whether it is deserved.

If the Zags run the table out and have 31 wins... they deserve a 1 seed however, the committee will find a reason not to give it to them.

JPtheBeasta
02-18-2013, 07:19 AM
The ACC isn't great. Duke's "big" wins are against Kentucky, Ohio St and Louisville. Their fans should turn the microscope onto themselves. They aren't even the same team personnel-wise that beats those teams.

Indiana has a pretty legit resume, and after them it's a crapshoot, in my opinion. I'm starting to think that "completely ignored horrible losses" is a secret metric being used this year (especially after reading Seth Davis' recent article).