PDA

View Full Version : Liberty's schedule - no GAS

Akzag
08-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Just heard the first confirmation of the rumor that Liberty was out at the GAS, on the evening news (no link as of yet). Double checked at Liberty's official site (http://www.libertyflames.com/index.cfm?PID=10869&newsID=1541&TeamID=6)... looks like they are going to Fresno instead. Portland will play them on the third day.

The Aztecs, the Flames’ first opponent, are coached by former Michigan “Fab Five” and national championship coach Steve Fisher and the game is part of Fresno State’s World Vision Classic tournament to be played at the Save Mart Center in Fresno, Calif. Liberty will then face host Fresno State of the Western Athletic Conference on Nov. 10 and Portland of the West Coast Conference on Nov. 11, in its final two games of the tournament.

... Before heading home for a break before ...

Then for the third-straight year, Liberty will square off with an opponent from the SEC as the Flames return to Rupp Arena to face Kentucky on Nov. 21. Liberty faced Kentucky and Mississippi State in 2006 and two-time defending National Champion Florida in 2007.

Liberty returns home for three-straight home games, starting with Longwood on Nov. 27.

No word yet on a replacement, but as has been noted, it won't take much to find an upgrade.

Butler Guy
08-08-2007, 10:18 AM
a school from a "name" conference that wouldn't pose too much of a threat on the court, possibly a team like Arizona State or Cal?

That's probably just wishful thinking, though, I'd imagine it'll be a team like Weber State or one of the random California publics (LBSU, Fullerton, Poly, etc)

zagster318
08-08-2007, 10:34 AM
a school from a "name" conference that wouldn't pose too much of a threat on the court, possibly a team like Arizona State or Cal?

That's probably just wishful thinking, though, I'd imagine it'll be a team like Weber State or one of the random California publics (LBSU, Fullerton, Poly, etc)

With Hardin coming back for another year, Cal might be an NCAA team.

Akzag
08-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Well, we can forget Cal - they won the GAS championship last year against LMU.

Nevtelen
08-09-2007, 06:33 AM

I'm sure just about all the BCS schools, even the lower tier ones, have their scheds pretty well done I'm sure and couldn't add a tourney at this point. It'll have to be another low major, I'm sure. The best case scenario might be a bottom tier MVC or MWC team, but I wouldn't hold out hope.

CDC84
08-09-2007, 08:23 AM
If the organizers can get a team that's better than Liberty, that will be okay with me. Liberty had a RPI of 283 last year.....it shouldn't be that challenging.