• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dogtownkid
    Kennel Club Material
    • Mar 2007

Okay, dumb question

I know almost nothing about basketball, but I'm a faithful Zags' fan. I DVR'd the game last night and I'm watching it again.

I'm wondering about the term "flagrant 1" foul. I'm guessing that there are levels of fouls and that a "flagrant 1" foul is a low level foul. Is that correct?

Can anyone enlighten me on this?
  • caduceus
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

Fouls language
    The panel also approved a change in nomenclature on fouls that are deemed more severe than a “common” foul in both men’s and women’s basketball. The terms “Flagrant 1” and “Flagrant 2” will now be used. A Flagrant 1 foul takes the place of an intentional foul and the Flagrant 2 foul replaces the previous flagrant foul.

An example of a Flagrant 1 foul would be when a player swings an elbow and makes illegal, non-excessive contact with an opponent above the shoulders. The team whose player was struck would receive two free throws and possession of the ball. Previously, this type of foul was called an intentional foul. The committee wanted to move away from the word “intentional,” because a player’s intent was never the point to the rule.

An example of a Flagrant 2 foul would be when a player swings an elbow excessively and makes contact with an opponent above the shoulders. In this case, the player who threw the elbow would be ejected from the game, and the other team would receive two free throws and the ball.

Comment

• Dogtownkid
      Kennel Club Material
      • Mar 2007

Thanks!

Thanks for explaining the genesis of the term.

Comment

Working...
      X