• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thespywhozaggedme
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

A two page thread about us joining the MWC

Very interesting. How'd you like UNLV, UNM, SDSU as some of our conference foes as opposed to USF and Portland?

• maynard g krebs
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2009

Good find. Mountain West makes way more sense that an east coast conf.

Comment

• Radbooks
      Zag for Life
      • Jun 2007

Will you give a summary for those of us that don't have a Scout subscription?
      “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Comment

• maynard g krebs
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Radbooks View Post
        Will you give a summary for those of us that don't have a Scout subscription?
        It's a free board, and takes a couple minutes to sign up. In a nutshell, the Boise fans are pretty unanimously in favor of bringing GU and BYU in as non-football members, all other sports. Highly enthusiastic about the idea, in fact.

Comment

• tempe85
          Kennel Club Material
          • Mar 2012

I think one of the better points raised was that they could actually use a non football member. Hawaii is joining for ONLY football, which means that adding a non-football member as well could make sense.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Far less academically prestigious schools than RC7, even less than the WCC

Underrated basketball programs, though a few with questionable practices

Still invisible to major east coast media; media essentially same as WCC

Better travel than RC7, access to alumni concentrations

Slight uptick in recruiting

As with WCC, GU still is the most famous hoops member

Basically a push w respect to WCC; less potential than RC7

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
              Far less academically prestigious schools than RC7, even less than the WCC

Underrated basketball programs, though a few with questionable practices

Still invisible to major east coast media; media essentially same as WCC

Better travel than RC7, access to alumni concentrations

Slight uptick in recruiting

As with WCC, GU still is the most famous hoops member

Basically a push w respect to WCC; less potential than RC7
              i would suggest that unlv has a bigger name in college b-ball circles due to history from tark days and apparent ability to recruit some elite talent (and budding pipeline via findlay prep), though they haven't done much with it so far and bennett is gone after this year.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
                i would suggest that unlv has a bigger name in college b-ball circles due to history from tark days and apparent ability to recruit some elite talent (and budding pipeline via findlay prep), though they haven't done much with it so far and bennett is gone after this year.
                yesteryear....and questionable practices.......

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2007

And here's a thread on the MWC board with a poll that I started. Warning: a few trolls there. P.S. Jazz, AFA has very stringent academics.

There's some buzz about this on the interwebs. Obviously I would be thrilled about this. What say you?

Comment

• bartruff1
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2010

Let me see...in the winter where would I rather go.....???

Comment

• 77Zag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
                      If you want to look to the past -- USF has much bigger name than GU.
                      Althought some tragic past to force Fr. Lo to grant the death penalty for a few years.
                      “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• DoMieD
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2009

No point

Comment

• Once and Future Zag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by 77Zag View Post
                          If you want to look to the past -- USF has much bigger name than GU.
                          Althought some tragic past to force Fr. Lo to grant the death penalty for a few years.
                          To be honest, I think we're past the cultural half-life of USF's national championships being a source of "name"
                          History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

• realtydog
                            Kennel Club
                            • Feb 2007

Jazz is waaay of here!!!

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                            far less academically prestigious schools than rc7, even less than the wcc

underrated basketball programs, though a few with questionable practices

still invisible to major east coast media; media essentially same as wcc

better travel than rc7, access to alumni concentrations

slight uptick in recruiting

as with wcc, gu still is the most famous hoops member

basically a push w respect to wcc; less potential than rc7
                            not even close to a push with respect to wcc!!!!!! And the rc7 will never happen for us----too far and they will not make a "west" division just for us---they don't need gu to be taken seriously----
                            Last edited by realtydog; 02-14-2013, 08:59 AM. Reason: THOUGHT IT WOULD BE POSTED IN ALL CAPS

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                              Let me see...in the winter where would I rather go.....???
                              So weather is the determining factor for conference affiliation? Sun Belt conference here we come!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X