PDA

View Full Version : Zags vs Gaels: Head to Head

MDABE80
02-13-2013, 12:31 PM
1. http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/headToHeadTeamResults?gameId=201302140538

2. http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/compare?t1-season=2012-2013&t1-type=&t1=gonzaga&t2=saint-marys

Good game. They score about the same. Defense is about the same. They rebound about the same. We'll have our hands full...at their place.

soccerdud
02-13-2013, 01:09 PM
you're right... everything is about the same. except who we've done it against. we've done the same thing against better teams.

can't help but like that.

jpwils
02-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Our bigs are better on paper-must win rebounding battle and foul aot less-
game will be won or lost here

Their guards and wings are better BUT GU is deeper if injuries or foul trouble occur-Delly must be TIRED- GU needs to shoot well from 3( Barham and Dranginis could be X factor here

Our team D is improved

Home court-SMC

Refs home-SMC

Bench-GU

Coaching- Few and staff OWE Rb and staff one

Can we keep it close and go on extended runs just a bit more than SMC- maybe

ZAGS win by 3 by pulling away in second half- we will be up 7-10 but their late rally will be furious !!!!

DixieZag
02-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Concerning that late rally.

I think it is an excellent point that we better be up 6-10 late b/c of that furious rally and refs loving to feed the home crowd excitement and reward the team behind. I think that SMC will break to an small early lead. Zags come back late in first - - hold lead of 5-10 throughout second half and then just hold on. Or not.

MDABE80
02-13-2013, 01:26 PM

Their guards and wings are better BUT GU is deeper if injuries or foul trouble occur-Delly must be TIRED- GU needs to shoot well from 3( Barham and Dranginis could be X factor here

Our team D is improved

Home court-SMC

Refs home-SMC

Bench-GU

ZAGS win by 3 by pulling away in second half- we will be up 7-10 but their late rally will be furious !!!!

You're right. THEY ARE HOME WITH HOME FANS. And they do want to share or take the crown. It's a very big deal to be home. GO ZAGS!!!

Mantua
02-13-2013, 01:29 PM

Our team D is improved

Home court-SMC

Refs home-SMC

Bench-GU

Defense and rebounding on the road are key to winning. I hope to see substitutions reflecting that. Foul trouble could mean disaster for us in Moraga and I'm sure the Gaels plan to try to get us in foul trouble.

rennis
02-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Those stats tell me two very important things:

1. SMC relies on the 3 for a lot of scoring - 32% of their points. Keep that under control, you keep them under control

2. This one comes down to who wants it most. Although GU's stats were compiled against a much tougher schedule, the numbers are still remarkably similar.

caduceus
02-13-2013, 03:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/JDgySfC.png
credit statsheet.com (http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2013/02/14/2013-02-14_gonzaga_vs_saint-marys)

UKWildcatsFan
02-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Wow, only Creighton has a better FG% than Gonzaga. I was surprised to see Saint Mary's right there at #8 too.

TacomaZAG
02-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Great stats, as usual. I didn't realize our SOS had fallen so far, I would have guessed it was in the mid-50's. Also, I didn't realize just how awful the SMC schedule is, they've only played 2 top-50 games and one of them was against us at the Kennel.

Stats don't lie, beat SMC.

Go ZAGS

Gonzdb8
02-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Their guards and wings are better BUT GU is deeper

if by guards and wings being better you mean they have a single guard who is arguably better (but certainly more experienced than ours) then i agree. but they simply don't have another play who would start for GU. and to say our bigs are a little better is the understatement of the year. our bigs are light years ahead of the plodding mediocrity smc throws into the post. but i'm primarily worried about this game because they'll be playing at home with a sense of desperation we haven't known as zag fans in many, many years. like burroughs said, desperation can be the raw material of drastic change...and that worries me.

gamagin
02-13-2013, 05:37 PM
we'll see who wants it more. I believe we do.

RenoZag
02-13-2013, 06:10 PM
So the stats, the bookies, and the pundits say this game is a toss up. . .

So the unranked Gaels and highly ranked Zags are relative equals ? Makes you wonder, then, what's the worth of the polls ?

BEAT THE GAELS ! GOOD LUCK TO THE GONZAGA BULLDOGS IN THE BAY AREA THIS WEEKEND.

caduceus
02-13-2013, 07:16 PM
We lost by 21 last year in Moraga. The Gaels are surging, and we are doing well but sort of cruising. I worry very much about this weekend, particularly since highly ranked teams have been falling like flies. Who knows, maybe it's our year this time to really make some noise deep into March. This weekend may be the bellwether.

The Zags are right now in a very good position, almost like no other. I don't think a 1-seed is out of reach by any stretch. It'll require a very strong performance in the remaining weeks, but it's not impossible. By Sunday, we'll know if we're well positioned, or nose diving.

DoMieD
02-13-2013, 07:18 PM
I think the Zags are considerably better overall and should win..

But.. That's why you play the game... I can see us choking away our Top 5 ranking w/no problem lol

Hart needs to play all 40 min

ZagaZags
02-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Zags up to 117 in the NCAA. Better than it was.