If Zags have to lose before 3/12 (or 4/9), would you prefer. . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TravelinZag
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2012

If Zags have to lose before 3/12 (or 4/9), would you prefer. . . .

. . .during the season or a WCC tourney game?

For me, an undefeated regular season is infinitely more impressive than a two-win tournament championship. Winning thru the Zags' first WCC tourney game would give them 30 wins. At that point, tournament championship is almost irrelevant. (Sure, would rather win them all, but . . . .)

Late loss might actually relieve some pressure and serve as a final pre-dance wake-up call. And I'm guessing 30-3 or 31-2 gets the Zags the identical seed. Zags won't ever be given (and don't need) a #1; a #2 is
    essentially just as good; and there is no way 8 teams would be seeded ahead of 30-3.

Plus, would prefer to lose before March 11 than after!

Best team ever! Best chance ever! Zags' Year! FF & beyond!
  • webspinnre
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I'd rather have a single loss in the regular season (to a non-SMC team), and win the conference tournament, as that'd give us a sweep of both the regular season and the conference tourney.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
      I'd rather have a single loss in the regular season (to a non-SMC team), and win the conference tournament, as that'd give us a sweep of both the regular season and the conference tourney.
      This. But I would have to say that I'd be less than happy with that 1 being BYU.
      "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• FieldHouseFishHouse
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by TravelinZag View Post
        . . .during the season or a WCC tourney game?

For me, an undefeated regular season is infinitely more impressive than a two-win tournament championship. Winning thru the Zags' first WCC tourney game would give them 30 wins. At that point, tournament championship is almost irrelevant. (Sure, would rather win them all, but . . . .)

Late loss might actually relieve some pressure and serve as a final pre-dance wake-up call. And I'm guessing 30-3 or 31-2 gets the Zags the identical seed. Zags won't ever be given (and don't need) a #1; a #2 is
        essentially just as good; and there is no way 8 teams would be seeded ahead of 30-3.

Plus, would prefer to lose before March 11 than after!

Best team ever! Best chance ever! Zags' Year! FF & beyond!
        Bolded is the only part of your post that I agree with.

From my observation, the committee disproportionately reward teams that perform well in the last 10 games, especially teams that have won their conference tournaments.

I seriously think that trading a loss this Thursday for a loss in the WCC tournament would result in a tangible drop in seeding (2 to 3, or 3 to 4 I think).

Comment

• TravelinZag
          Zag for Life
          • Dec 2012

Only problem is that a loss to anyone other than SMC or BYU on the road is a very bad loss, will have major implications for RPI, seeding and NCAA tourney path.

For it not to cost to much, loss needs to come as a road game against a quality opponent. Tournament games are "neutral" site games. Home losses count 1.4, road losses .6.

Comment

• sittingon50
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

They don't have to lose.
            But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• ZagnetitForce
              Kennel Club
              • Feb 2007

GU losing in Vegas would cause me to more drinking and gambling and I can't afford either....so I think better to not lose in the Tournament!

Comment

• 77Zag
                Zag for Life
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by ZagnetitForce View Post
                GU losing in Vegas would cause me to more drinking and gambling and I can't afford either....so I think better to not lose in the Tournament!
                My preference - not lose in any upcoming tournaments!

Go Zags -- Beat SMC!
                “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by TravelinZag View Post
                  Only problem is that a loss to anyone other than SMC or BYU on the road is a very bad loss, will have major implications for RPI,
                  That's a common misconception. RPI is a simple mathematical formula; 25% win %, 50% opponents' win%, 25% opponents' opponents' win %. Which game you win/lose only matters in that road wins are weighted more heavily than home wins. It matters subjectively in how the committee looks at a bad loss, but which particular game you lose has little to no effect on the RPI #.

Comment

• Coach Crazy
                    • Apr 2011

As someone who is about to become a Bay Area Zag, I can't handle losing to USF and havin to hear about it a whole year. Would love a sweep of this team to shut people up. Being as though a good number of friends are Zoobies, I really don't want to have to hear from that crowd either. And of course with SMC, nuff said.

That leaves SC, Portland, and San Diego. All bad, bad losses...but for the sake of answering the question: A loss before the conference tourney, and preferably the latter two of the 3 listed...as bad as they would be.

Comment

• DZ
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by 77Zag View Post
                      My preference - not lose in any upcoming tournaments!

Go Zags -- Beat SMC!
                      That is helpful. I hadn't thought of that.

Better to lose Thurs and then obliterate everyone after that including on through the conf. tournament.

The ironic thing is that I actually think the post Thurs season would likely more likely be an obliteration if our guys were pissed off from having dropped one. Not ANY reason to want a loss or think it might be beneficial (we would benefit far more from an undefeated run post Butler going to selection day).

I so want to kick SMC's wannabe a$$ thurs.
                      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                      Mark Twain.

Comment

• FieldHouseFishHouse
                        Professional Zag Fan
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                        That's a common misconception. RPI is a simple mathematical formula; 25% win %, 50% opponents' win%, 25% opponents' opponents' win %. Which game you win/lose only matters in that road wins are weighted more heavily than home wins. It matters subjectively in how the committee looks at a bad loss, but which particular game you lose has little to no effect on the RPI #.
                        I have emphasized this to the point of face blue-ness. It is a very simple formula that very few understand.

Even the distinction between RPI and RPI rank is virtually never made.

Comment

Working...
                        X