• Show
Clear All
  • Rangerzag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

CBS Top 25 (and one)

Zags move up one.

By Gary Parrish and Jeff Goodman
    The Top 25 (and one) will be updated on the college basketball page shortly.
    Here's how it will look:
    1. Indiana
    Record: 21-3
    Last week's ranking: No. 1
    2. Michigan
    Record: 21-3
    Last week's ranking: No. 2
    3. Duke
    Record: 21-2
    Last week's ranking: No. 3
    4. Miami
    Record: 19-3
    Last week's ranking: No. 7
    5. Syracuse
    Record: 20-3
    Last week's ranking: No. 8
    6. Arizona
    Last week's ranking: No. 4
    7. Florida
    Record: 19-3
    Last week's ranking: No. 5
    8. Gonzaga
    Record: 23-2
    Last week's ranking: No. 9
    9. Michigan State
    Record: 20-4
    Last week's ranking: No. 10
    10. Kansas
    Record: 19-4
    Last week's ranking: No. 6
    11. Ohio State
    Record: 17-6
    Last week's ranking: No. 11
    12. Kansas State
    Record: 19-4
    Last week's ranking: No. 13
    13. Butler
    Last week's ranking: No. 14
    14. Louisville
    Record: 19-5
    Last week's ranking: No. 12
    15. Pittsburgh
    Record: 20-5
    Last week's ranking: No. 18
    16. Georgetown
    Record: 17-4
    Last week's ranking: No. 19
    17. Oklahoma State
    Record: 17-5
    Last week's ranking: No. 21
    18. Marquette
    Record: 17-5
    Last week's ranking: No. 23
    19. Minnesota
    Record: 17-7
    Last week's ranking: No. 15
    20. New Mexico
    Last week's ranking: No. 16
    21. Notre Dame
    Last week's ranking: No. 24
    22. Wisconsin
    Record: 17-7
    Last week's ranking: No. 25
    23. Cincinnati
    Record: 18-6
    Last week's ranking: No. 17
    24. San Diego State
    Record: 18-5
    Last week's ranking: Unranked
    25. VCU
    26. Memphis

In: San Diego State, VCU, Memphis
    Out: Missouri, Creighton, Oregon
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut
  • Oregonzagnut
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2011

This does not mean much. this is just two men's vote. Gonzaga will be #3 or #4.

But it is a valuable indicator of what others think about power numbers, "eye tests", and RPI SOS's.

This "poll" reads more like the RPI than an eye test though. Gonzaga has consistently been leading in offensive eff ratings all year. and that is from game 1 in the OOC and the WCC. Our OOC RPI was around #9 and we were 12-2 OOC.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• ZagsBaby
      Banned
      • Jan 2013

lol these guys have literally been so off on their predictions of the rankings this little segment should be cancelled.

Comment

• willandi
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

I think this is their poll about the cheer leaders, not the B'Ball teams...or they don't follow the games.
        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• 23dpg
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I generally like Gary but that is a horrible poll. Forget about GU. Even Arizona fans are laughing. and who does Kansas have to kill to fall out of the top ten?

He should feature himself on his "polls attack" segment.
          Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• Zags_Fanatic
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2012

Looks like they made a mistake on the site and put USD up instead of SDSU. Needless to say I was dumbfounded at first. It will probably be corrected very soon.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2011

Florida and Ariz drop 2 spots for losing, but Indy and Mich stay put when they lose 1 each.

Insane, biased, and based entirely on opinion. That is all this is. He is saying Indiana passes HIS eye test for staying at #1 despite the loss to unranked Illinois.

Kansas losing 3 straight only drops 4 places? Those two lost cred with a lot of people for that clear favoritism.

Might as well just pencil in Kentucky, UCLA and UNC in the Top 10 too since on paper they "should be" good.
              “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• UKWildcatsFan
                Kennel Club Alum
                • Jan 2012

No way at this point should we be considered only the 8th best team in the country. That's wild and wacky.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

What if these are the 8 in the Elite 8? I would predict a final four for us. I like our chances to get 'sky high' and up for one big contest.
                  What if these 8 played a huge round Robin? I would predict us at 2 wins and 5 losses. I know that sounds like heresy, but we haven't played any of these big boys yet, and they do. Besides that would be a betting prediction, not my hopes.

I don't like CBS prediction, but I am not sure they are that far off.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
                    I like our chances to get 'sky high' and up for one big contest.
                    What if these 8 played a huge round Robin? I would predict us at 2 wins and 5 losses.
                    What 2 are wins?

We can beat Indy, Duke and Michigan if we limit TO's to under 10, make our bunnies (dunk it!!) and make 80%+ of our FT's. We are strong, sharp and deep enough at all positions that we just need to be as mistake free as possible.

Comment

• MDABE80
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

I suspect this is a vote against theWCC. Not a big deal though. Those teams ranked ahead of us play a tougher schedule in their league than we do in the OOC.......I assume that's the thinking. No worries.....we win out, we rise. inch by inch.
                      Still lots of time. Sleep well Zags. The BCS is alive and well. So is it's brotherhood.
                      We'll shine when we're supposed to.

Comment

• Ekrub
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2009

Teams I'm not worried about in the post season: Duke, Arizona, Miami, Indiana

Teams I am worried about: Michigan, Michigan State (quietly Mr. Izzo is doing his thing), Florida.

Comment

• scott257
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                          I suspect this is a vote against theWCC. Not a big deal though. Those teams ranked ahead of us play a tougher schedule in their league than we do in the OOC.......I assume that's the thinking. No worries.....we win out, we rise. inch by inch.
                          Still lots of time. Sleep well Zags. The BCS is alive and well. So is it's brotherhood.
                          We'll shine when we're supposed to.
                          Do they really play a tougher schedule in their league than we do, or does it just appear that way to outside observers because we have a number of teams that play a cupcake non-conference schedule like St. Mary's. Personally I think we play a tougher conference schedule than we get credit for and I blame the other coaches in the WCC for this perception.

Comment

• titopoet
                            Zag for Life
                            • Apr 2008

They clearly have a beef with the WCC. From Goodman's post on why there is no true number one:
                            Gonzaga is 23-2, and we all know the Bulldogs are balanced and talented, but it's difficult to elevate a team in the WCC -- which clearly lacks another high-powered team this season -- to the No. 1 slot. Remember, Mark Few's team did lose at home to Illinois. However, Few always plays a tough non-league slate and this year Gonzaga took care of Kansas State and Oklahoma State prior to conference play.
                            That is his biggest issue. WCC.
                            ----
                            Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                              • Mar 2008

bring on the basketball 7 league.......PLEASE
                              The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

Working...
                              X