PDA

View Full Version : Beat St. Mary's

GoZags
02-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Get it done.

Mantua
02-09-2013, 06:32 PM
If it's a win I'm going to rush my front porch.

Hoopaholic
02-09-2013, 06:35 PM
I would rush the court in moraga but suspect I would be lonely because I know my wife would not follow me out onto the court

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-09-2013, 06:50 PM

Well played, sir.

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-09-2013, 06:50 PM
http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Braveheart-braveheart-727143_413_479.jpg

Stache
02-09-2013, 06:53 PM
SMC is going to base it's season on Thursday. Zags will be top 5 and Moraga will be foaming at the mouth. I want to win this one more than perhaps any in the past few years of this rivalry. Get hungry Zags.

GU69
02-09-2013, 06:58 PM
SMC and USF. Two really important games next week.

MTZag03
02-09-2013, 08:56 PM
I could respect SMC so much more if they didn't base their entire season on this game. I do respect their players and I want to respect their program, but it's just ridiculous that they find themselves in this position almost every year. I hope Gonzaga just lays the smack down.

Oregonzagnut
02-09-2013, 09:03 PM
I could respect SMC so much more if they didn't base their entire season on this game. I do respect their players and I want to respect their program, but it's just ridiculous that they find themselves in this position almost every year. I hope Gonzaga just lays the smack down.

they inched closer and closer to us each year too. What is worse is we collapsed last year and they beat us twice to wrest the title from us. We must be bring our A+ game. We cannot and will not lose this game on Thursday.

10 Piece Bucket
02-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Sadly San Diego lost ...
I hope the Lads crush St. Mary's

HenneZag
02-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Saying that, they are a good team, and starting to peak at the right time.

This game is huge for both teams, they need a signature win, and if we want to win the WCC I believe we have to win this game. We have a tougher schedule then they do to finish the season...SM/BYU/SF/SC/SD. All these teams are quality teams that will be tough to beat if we don't bring our A game.

I hope our guys show up to Moraga with a fire and intensity unlike any other that we have seen this season. It's going to be a tough win on the road against a quality opponent, but we can do it. Playing in games like Butler and Ok State etc can only help us.

Blitzing-Zag
02-09-2013, 09:29 PM
When I think of this game, I get a little sick to my stomach. I want this win soooooo badly! If we play like we did tonight, we do not win in Moraga.

GoGU
02-09-2013, 09:38 PM
St Mary's wants to have a last hurrah before NCAA puts them on double secret probation. Not gonna happen.

ZagHereWeGo
02-09-2013, 11:20 PM
my bad long night

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Sadly San Diego lost ...
I hope the Lads crush St. Mary's

Best. Avatar. Ever.

UberZagFan
02-10-2013, 12:30 AM
With creighton losing again, does this make it a must win for smu for a at large?

Any guesses of what the spread will be?

Also with one of smu's good wins (BYU) losing to SDU and SFU

Wow. It's SMC and USD and USF.

As for the OP, this team needs to realize and recognize that SMC is the biggest game of the year. It's the conference championship and seeding in the NCAAs that could mean the difference between playing past the first weekend.

bartruff1
02-10-2013, 04:23 AM
IMHO Gonzaga is simply a better team and if the better team wins... they win...

It is very tough to win on the road against a good team but I believe they will because they have been in so many big games on the road. Few has them ready and they just keep sawing wood. They might lose the game, but I doubt they will lose their composure.

I think is is always foolish to guess at someone's motive. I do not know what Randy's scheduling constraints and opportunities are , whatever his " plan " is, it is working. You can't argue with success.

I have no doubt he does the best he can with the tools he has to work with but Gonzaga (IMHO) is just on another level and I expect them to win this game.

This is a important game for a variety of reasons but even if Gonzaga loses, it will not define their season and there are other opportunities this month and in the WCC Tourney for both teams.

ZagMan in Philly
02-10-2013, 04:44 AM
I watched the gaels vs SD game last night. We MUST contain Della or else. He is playing at a different level.
It will be the biggest regular season game for both teams. If we win, we will keep that #1 seed alive, if they lose, they are looking at NIT. Enough said.

Go Zags!

RenoZag
02-10-2013, 05:14 AM
Defense wins championships. Zags have been spotty on D at times but their D in the tough road games this year has been impressive.

I hope they impress on Thursday. Much as I would love to see a St. Valentine's Day massacre, it ain't gonna happen. I expect a grinder a la the WSU, OSU, & Butler contests. Those games should have Gonzaga prepared for St. Mary's ( and San Francisco too).

Kelly Olynyk said. “We can’t be worried about what other people do. We have to take care of our own business.”

The Zags next business meeting Thursday can't get here fast enough.

DixieZag
02-10-2013, 06:49 AM
After reading all the lamentations on the board about the play against the bottom cellar team, a team that we beat last week by 45 and the team that had to play us 5 days before SMC (it is pretty easy for me to see why they looked a little out of sorts) I am surprised people here think we will even be close.

OK, I'm still a little pissed at the inexplicable reaction to the win and especially to Gary, its getting old.

Onward, it is out of my system. SMC will be the biggest test of the year. Despite not being ranked, SMC is playing better than OSU was when we played them and as well as Butler was when we played them. Both of those games were close. SMC has a further advantage in that they are in no way intimidated by us, they know how to play us and their entire season (as weird as that is) is on the line in one game.

It will probably come down to limiting Delly (like last game). Spend the days on the run-up to game planning anything to confuse or anger Delly and we are off to a good start. Delly is not their only elite player but he is the one that sets their tone, the one everyone else on their team looks to. We will score - we always do, I think the key is whether or not we can slow down their stars in their building, it is a very tall order.

Last thing. I think (no, know) we are the better team, but I also know that this is a game that even the best in the country could drop and if that happens, I am not going to be selling our guys out. They have won more than a few games this year that I thought they were not going to. I am not going to let one game define the team up to date, unfortunately for SMC fans, their schedule DOES always seem to come down to this one game.

bartruff1
02-10-2013, 06:59 AM
I don't this this is a make or break game for the Gaels at all...they have a least a half dozen games left to prove that they deserve to be in the Dance including (likely) another with Gonzaga...If there is a game they have to win, IMHO it is the Bracketbuster....they look like they will dance to me.

MTZag03
02-10-2013, 07:59 AM
This may be off base but I just want to rant. For years I've had the sense that the WCC really wants us to lose in conference. Their philosophy on officiating favors guards and punishes teams being physical (of course this can switch arbitrarily mid game if needed). Combine this with the fact that pretty much every team in conference recruits and builds their program around the three ball and we're bound to lose stinkers in conference. Two years ago we should have lost the WCC but SMC choked allowing us to tie. Last year they took it from us and all credit to them. I really want GU to just steamroll SMC and USF this year. I want GU to take the conference back convincingly. And yes, I want GU to leave the WCC for the Catholic 7 if they get the chance.

...Also, I know I committed a major sin by stating that officiating is bad. It is nothing more than my opinion. I am not backing it up with statistics, etc. It's just an opinion.

Reborn
02-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Now we can finally focus on St Mary's, and it feels good. Smiling! St Mary's did beat San Diego by 8 last night, but we must remember that that was San Diego's 3rd game this week. Whoever schedules games in the WCC really is blind. How could someone let that happen? And San Diego did beat BYU on Thursday and they travelled to LMU on Monday. You could see that San Diego was tired in the last 10 minutes of the game.

I believe St Mary's is a very good team. I've believed that all year. They have a very good coach and a very good program. They are the champions of the WCC. And they are playing like it right now. They seem to be very workmanlike.

USF just beat BYU last night in Provo; so the Zags really have their work cut out for them this week. This week will be the kind of week like the teams in the Big 10 play every week; so GU can now show that they are even with those teams by coming away with at least one victory, and hopefully two. Two wins this week will definitely secure a high seed in the NCAA tournament if they win the last four.

I think Gonzaga should approach this week like they would the NCAA tournament. The Zags will have two tough games in the tournment with only one day off between games. This is the kind of week that will prepare us for the NCAA tournament.

And then week after we have two real good games at home that will keep the Zags focussed, vs Santa Clara and San Diego. There can not be any let up with these two teams.

combatcorpsmangulaw
02-10-2013, 09:44 AM
The Zags need to be pressed by hard core teams at this point in the season. Our RPI is taking a hit playing Pepperdine, San Diego, and LMU the last few weeks. San Diego isn't recognized as a 'good' team yet -- next year may be a different story.

Bring on SMC, SF, and BYU at there place. Good hard nosed basketball just before we go into the WCC and NCAA tournaments is what the Zags need to show that we are a great team and can beat good teams on the road.

I'll be at the SMC and SF games --- should be a war in both places.

gonwick
02-10-2013, 09:56 AM
SMC is pathetic. A joke. They are like remoras, living off the shark that is Gonzaga. Except they are worse, as their survival off us comes at a detriment to GU. Look at this joke of a schedule. They were gifted wins against Harvard and a fluke win against byu. They could not survive without us. They are the worst example of what drives me nuts about the wcc. They could have grown like gu, improving their schedule, taking unfavorable series arrangements to ensure competition and maybe build up good wins. Instead, they plan for GU as their super bowl, the game that will define their season. They are a good team, probably, but anyone can build up a gaudy record by playing pushovers. They are lazy, their scheduling hurts the league and our reputation if we lose to them, and it will drive me crazy if they exploit this plan in the future to ride GU's coattails to a better league. There, rant done. RB and SMC, you should be embarrassed.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/2608/saint-mary-gaels

Reborn
02-10-2013, 10:10 AM
SMC is pathetic. A joke. They are like remoras, living off the shark that is Gonzaga. Except they are worse, as their survival off us comes at a detriment to GU. Look at this joke of a schedule. They were gifted wins against Harvard and a fluke win against byu. They could not survive without us. They are the worst example of what drives me nuts about the wcc. They could have grown like gu, improving their schedule, taking unfavorable series arrangements to ensure competition and maybe build up good wins. Instead, they plan for GU as their super bowl, the game that will define their season. They are a good team, probably, but anyone can build up a gaudy record by playing pushovers. They are lazy, their scheduling hurts the league and our reputation if we lose to them, and it will drive me crazy if they exploit this plan in the future to ride GU's coattails to a better league. There, rant done. RB and SMC, you should be embarrassed.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/2608/saint-mary-gaels

I like your post. My take is indeed different, but I certainly understand your point of view. One thing we can certainly agree on and that we both hope GU pounds on St Mary's.

Go Zags!!!

DixieZag
02-10-2013, 10:19 AM
I think we can all criticize their scheduling and should.

But, and you didn't do this specifically but. . . we shouldn't let our criticism cross over to their players by saying "SMC you should be embarrassed." The players come and play whomever is lined up against them. I can really detest the AD at SMC for not improving their facilities in conjunction with their play and I can detest RB's scheduling but I don't let that get in the way of enjoying their team's play and the players themselves.

Dunno, lets just make sure we aren't being "haters" of the wrong group of people responsible and keep our "hate" to hating that they are good enough to get in our way.

MTZag03
02-10-2013, 10:26 AM
I think we can all criticize their scheduling and should.

But, and you didn't do this specifically but. . . we shouldn't let our criticism cross over to their players by saying "SMC you should be embarrassed." The players come and play whomever is lined up against them. I can really detest the AD at SMC for not improving their facilities in conjunction with their play and I can detest RB's scheduling but I don't let that get in the way of enjoying their team's play and the players themselves.

Dunno, lets just make sure we aren't being "haters" of the wrong group of people responsible and keep our "hate" to hating that they are good enough to get in our way.

Exactly right. I have no problem with SMC players or fans. Their scheduling and strategy for success is pathetic though. There is no hate, just distaste of a program that seems happy gambling everything on whether they can beat GU 2/3 times in a season.

gonwick
02-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Exactly right. I have no problem with SMC players or fans. Their scheduling and strategy for success is pathetic though. There is no hate, just distaste of a program that seems happy gambling everything on whether they can beat GU 2/3 times in a season.

Agree with those above. This was a criticism of the program and the coach, not the players. They can't help it if they only get to play weak teams with the exception of GU and the odd wcc challenge. Reading their board occasionally, I think even their own fans get this and agree. Based on quotes that pop up from few from time to time, I think SMC's strategy drives few nuts.

MDABE80
02-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Teams spend a full season developing. SMC may have had a weak OOC schedule BUT they seemed to have developed in a very good way. SMC , irrespective of their schedule is a very good team now.
We play them, BYU and USF away. We'll be lucky run this guantlet and win convincingly.
We need all three for ranking and seeding. I hope we pull it off but it's a tough number when you're on the road playing teams that have focused on knocking us off all season. Hate to say it but we might need a late season loss to focus the kids.

bballbeachbum
02-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Beat St. Mary's

Reborn
02-10-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm watching Indiana finishing off @ Ohio State, beating them by a little over ten points. I loved Indiana's game plan and I think GU should emmulate it. Ohio St is a very good team, and every bit as good as St Mary's and maybe better. Indiana had just gotten beat @ Illinois at the buzzer, but they came back to show their dominance over Ohio St. Gonzaga has a chance to do the same thing and show America that they are indeed a special team to be reckoned with in March.

I believe they can do this too. I do believe that Gonzaga is special and will show it on Thursday. Somehow they are going to find a way to win, just as they have so often this year.

teacher56
02-10-2013, 12:27 PM

Now thats funny!

teacher56
02-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Now we can finally focus on St Mary's, and it feels good. Smiling! St Mary's did beat San Diego by 8 last night, but we must remember that that was San Diego's 3rd game this week. Whoever schedules games in the WCC really is blind. How could someone let that happen? And San Diego did beat BYU on Thursday and they travelled to LMU on Monday. You could see that San Diego was tired in the last 10 minutes of the game.

I believe St Mary's is a very good team. I've believed that all year. They have a very good coach and a very good program. They are the champions of the WCC. And they are playing like it right now. They seem to be very workmanlike.

USF just beat BYU last night in Provo; so the Zags really have their work cut out for them this week. This week will be the kind of week like the teams in the Big 10 play every week; so GU can now show that they are even with those teams by coming away with at least one victory, and hopefully two. Two wins this week will definitely secure a high seed in the NCAA tournament if they win the last four.

I think Gonzaga should approach this week like they would the NCAA tournament. The Zags will have two tough games in the tournment with only one day off between games. This is the kind of week that will prepare us for the NCAA tournament.

And then week after we have two real good games at home that will keep the Zags focussed, vs Santa Clara and San Diego. There can not be any let up with these two teams.

You should be a sportswriter and maybe you are...always classy and relevant...thanks

UKWildcatsFan
02-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Saint Mary's is #51 in the RPI right now. Hopefully we can beat them by double digits there, and then they can keep winning to get into the top 50 and then we can beat them by double digits against in the WCC Championship.

caduceus
02-10-2013, 01:19 PM
SMC will likely be top 50 regardless of Thursday's outcome. Their expected RPI is around #36, and shouldn't go below 50 unless they drop more than 3 more games.

UKWildcatsFan
02-10-2013, 01:24 PM
SMC will likely be top 50 regardless of Thursday's outcome. Their expected RPI is around #36, and shouldn't go below 50 unless they drop more than 3 more games.

Where do you find the 'excepted RPI' stat? I'd like to look at that, always interesting.

DixieZag
02-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Saint Mary's is #51 in the RPI right now. Hopefully we can beat them by double digits there, and then they can keep winning to get into the top 50 and then we can beat them by double digits against in the WCC Championship.

Hopefully we can beat them by double digits????

Really?

If you officially offered me a one pt victory off a Delly missed 3 footer, I would take that and run and hide in the woods until it was officially recorded wherever they officially record games that are officially over.

sideshow06
02-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Regarding scheduling, from the point of view of an SMC fan (not speaking for ALL SMC fans, mind you):

On the one hand, I WOULD like to see our team schedule some tougher OOC teams. Some teams we FANS could really get up for playing against. Nationally ranked teams... Big 10, ACC, etc... that would be cool. And depending when it took place in the season, I think the Gaels could have some success with that. I also don't buy the argument that there's no way for us to get those games. In some cases that is true (Cal, for instance, has gone on record that they will not play us... we're in that sweet spot of too good to be an easy win, and not good enough to be worth risking the loss). But that argument in general is no excuse.

Randy has a different approach to this than Monson did (and to some degree Few, though by the time Few took over, it was easier to get some home and aways). Monson was willing to just play anyone anywhere, and hey, it worked out for Gonzaga. I fully remember when Gonzaga wasn't much more nationally recognized as SMC right now (as hard as it is for some of you young ones to even IMAGINE a world without Gonzaga dominance). Monson's strategy, along with some actual wins, put the Zags on the national map. Randy, on the other hand, wants to get something back rather than just scheduling suicide games away away away. He must feel that Monson's strategy wouldn't work for the Gaels, and I'm inclined to agree (more on that in a sec). But that's why we've tried to get those better match ups through things like Bracketbusters (R.I.P.) and preseason tourney's with return games attached. Thanks to those guaranteed return games, we have games at St. John's, and home against Murray St. next year, and another Creighton matchup next year or the following year. Utah St. this year was one of those, if I recall. It takes some foresight, it doesn't always work out that the teams are as good later as they are the first time (Murray may not be the same next year without Canaan) but it gives us some better home games than we could otherwise get with our small gym. And we play VERY well at home, so what's really dumb about that?

The other part, and probably main reason in Randy's eyes, is that we don't always start the season strongly. What you guys did in the preseason was impressive, but that schedule would have been a disaster for us. But the way we're playing right now? This thread is full of posters who admit this will be a close game. SMC year after year gets better as they go. If we could schedule all our OOC games around this time of year, I think Randy would be more ballsy with the games. That's why he LOVED the Bracketbusters program. Randy realizes that with the level of players he brings in (which is not recruiting-wise at the level of GU... it's getting there though) he needs to give them time to gel. And they do. What good does it do piling up a bunch of "impressive" losses if they're still losses? See: SCU.

He also tries to schedule games against just-below-elite-level teams he thinks will be pleasant surprises each season, to catch them early before THEY gel. Sometimes this hits (St. John's two seasons ago) and sometimes it misses (Northern Iowa this year) but he seems to get that part right more than wrong. And its worked for us, getting us in the Dance three times (and yes, having us JUST miss a couple of agonizing times). In those years we missed, it wasn't just because we couldn't beat Gonzaga nor was it only wins over Gonzaga that saved us those years we got in. Give me a break.

It's not as simple as implying he's a coward and likes to schedule cupcakes and rely on his intimate knowledge of GU to make or break each season. If you really think that I'll risk being booted from here by saying you're a complete moron. But I will admit, that as a Gael fan I would love to see a game against a Duke, or Butler, or Syracuse or whoever once in a while, just to have a chance. But as many of us say on our site, In Randy We Trust.

Sorry if I offend anyone. That "eggs in one basket" argument is condescending and one-dimensional, and tired. Get a new gripe.

gaelbbfan
02-10-2013, 02:40 PM
What he said! ^^^^^^ ;)

Spot on Sideshow.

UKWildcatsFan
02-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Hopefully we can beat them by double digits????

Really?

If you officially offered me a one pt victory off a Delly missed 3 footer, I would take that and run and hide in the woods until it was officially recorded wherever they officially record games that are officially over.

You completely misinterpreted what I was saying. I guess maybe I'm to blame because I wasn't more precise in my wording.

A double digit road win is likely to look more impressive to people (namely the selection committee) than a single digit road win, especially over a team that I hope will crawl into the RPI top 50. A win is a win and I'd be happy about a win by .001 points. Having said that:

Hopefully we win by 100.

Really.

DixieZag
02-10-2013, 02:51 PM
I don't find anything offensive about your post sideshow and would invite you to do more posting here. It IS another point of view and needed.

However, you have a few critical facts wrong. Few came in after our first year in the big Tourney. We were hardly an established item. Even after two years of Few and a team ranked in the top 5 nationally we still got a 6 seed in the big tournament. It took A LOT of being willing to do a "one game at your place" type of thing. SLOWLY we won more and more of those, not all by any means, but more. SMC WOULD TOO.

It has only been the last 4 or 5 years that we are actually able to get the teams like Michigan State, Illinois, Baylor, Arizona (next year). We got here by beating enough teams that the idea of losing to Gonzaga was not a big deal but winning sure as hell was.

The point about not playing well early in the year???? Perhaps it is b/c when you are playing cupcake U it is tough for your team to get up for it when the "real season" doesn't start until January. There is NOTHING about SMC that says they would not be competitive nationally early in the year. If you had played in one of the elite tournaments and 3 or 4 nuetral-away games early then I am sure you wouldn't be killing yourselves over the game on Thursday. If you are going to get beat, wouldn't you want to do it East Lansing, Dallas or Chicago??

The one real advantage we have that you don't is Spokane. Don't laugh. The bay area has the Niners, Giants, Niners, A's, the Raiders and the Niners - I have lived there. You guys could be ranked number 5 and you wouldn't be the lead in the paper. Here, the Zags are it, for better or worse. That equates to money, from TV/radio, merchandise, school donations - everything. That is one aspect that will always be a hinderance, but I don't think you should hinder yourselves the way you have.

Just another thought - and though I hate losing to you guys, I do cheer for you against every non WCC team. good luck.

DixieZag
02-10-2013, 02:54 PM
You completely misinterpreted what I was saying.

Hopefully we win by 100.

Really.

I think we want the same things, good info by the way.

Zags 114
SMC 34

:D

bartruff1
02-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Condescending here !!! No way....

sideshow06
02-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Your point about Spokane is dead on. We get zero respect in the bay area. The only time we've received more coverage than Cal or Stanford EVER is after we upset Villanova. That's it.

Not only are there lots of sports team to compete with, our campus is way off the beaten path. People have to make a real effort to get to our games. If you've ever wondered over to our board, the conversation often drifts to expansion of McKeon. Its a sore subject. There are legitimate questions as to whether we could ever consistently fill an arena even modestly expanded from our current one. Better to keep it full and loud, than have something like the Slim Gym... very nice, and very empty.

You put your finger on the NUMBER ONE limitation on SMC following the GU model. It wasn't easy when you guys did it. It's nearly impossible for us. What we're doing now may be as far as we can take it. Even if we get past the point that teams consider a loss to us to not be a bad thing (we're not that far from that) there's the issue of 3000 seats. And that issue isn't changing anytime soon because of geography, not the product.

Fair enough about the GU history. Of course you know it better than I, though I sometimes feel I know it better than some of your posters. I didn't mean to suggest that Few just rode Monson's coattails. But Monson was the one who had the balls to start the "anyone anywhere anytime" philosophy, which Few built from. It's had mixed results for him since leaving GU - further proof that it's not a model that's going to work for everyone.

I think Randy is actually pretty savvy on scheduling, but sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. We played in a decent tourney this season, and we had a couple of bad games at a bad time. THAT will be the reason we're on the outside if we don't get in the Dance this year. Sure, a win against GU would help - it always does - but I don't think that was the plan all along.

Next year we're in one of the better tourneys. I want to say Diamond Head but maybe I'm forgetting. It's a better one though. Combined with the St. John's, Murray and maybe Creighton games, it might be one of the better schedules we've had in a while. We'll see.

sideshow06
02-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Condescending here !!! No way....

Okay, your forum, your right.

DixieZag
02-10-2013, 03:15 PM

I think he was referring to us, Sideshow.

We can be a little over the top. I think the vast majority here like hearing from you guys. . . I really hadn't considered all the factors you laid out, you have a point.

bartruff1
02-10-2013, 03:19 PM

For just the reasons you have pointed out.

I think Randy has done a hell of a job in a very short period of time and has built a very successful progam with the tools he has available to him.

His record speaks for it's self.

The problem with a successful progam like Few has built is that it attracts hundreds or even thousands of bandwagon fans who invest their self esteem in the success of the team ...and they are condescending as hell and very annoying...to me..

gamagin
02-10-2013, 03:28 PM
I watched the gaels vs SD game last night. We MUST contain Della or else. He is playing at a different level.
It will be the biggest regular season game for both teams. If we win, we will keep that #1 seed alive, if they lose, they are looking at NIT. Enough said.

Go Zags!

I want to see us press Delly (1) at or (2) before mid court. Make him work every step and not let him set up and run a play without a lot of work first. Every inbounds and every one of his possessions should be challenged.

He counts on the opponents letting him set up to challenge each play and he has his kitbag ready. Don't let him set up without great difficulty no easy drive to the basket without a hard foul.

He's had his way with the same set of plays for four years. Time for some stops. He gets the call more times than not, imo, so make the foul count. NO easy twos.

He's the spiritual and actual leader and qb. His game has to be limited if their game plan is to be slowed or stopped. period.

MTZag03
02-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Awesome posts sideshow. Please keep it up, it definitely makes things more interesting here. I love having a peaceable fan from another team contributing.

caduceus
02-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Where do you find the 'expected RPI' stat? I'd like to look at that, always interesting.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/St.%20Mary%27s.html

sideshow06
02-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Okay, but we don't have to get all touchy feely. I still want you guys to lose Thursday.

DixieZag
02-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Okay, but we don't have to get all touchy feely. I still want you guys to lose Thursday.

Fair enough, I want Delly to fall off his trycycle on his way to the game. I have never hated a better kid.

ZagsGoZags
02-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Thanks for coming into 'opponents territory' and submitting respectful posts, Gael guys. I am glad you are here. Sometimes in the last few years I have been surprised you haven't received more national attention, like you would if you were on the east coast, I think. I imagine your school's basketball budget is smaller than ours and I have to give Bennet credit for developing talent. His habit of playing a cupcake schedule has worked out better for SMC than it has for Chicken Romar in Seattle. I would be more critical of it, except that it has worked and last year is the proof. Frankly, and I am Few-lover, I think Bennet sees us coming better than Few sees you coming. Even when I think we would beat you 7 out of 10 times, you often pull off the win. I hope Few and crew have devoted a lot of time to studying SMC tapes and sets this year. In my book this is close to a do or die game because if we lose now, and esp again in the tournament), we get a lower seed like usual, and probably die in the 2nd round or Sweet 16 If we beat you now and in the tournament (if we both get there) this sets the table for a more likely deeper run. IMO we need, or at least want, a deep run in the Dance this year as you want to beat us. For me, both games have a do-or-be-set back greatly feel, because it hurts us to NEVER get past Sweet 16.

Good luck to both of you (except when you play us) because you make us better and you make the WCC better.

HenneZag
02-10-2013, 04:58 PM
I have been thinking about this game all day, kind of consuming me right now. The Gaels are confident and playing solid ball. I watched the game vs SD last night, and SM has some nice balance. Delly had five 3's and I think 21 points total, Waldo is very solid and quietly skilled, and Beau Levesque is a player that is really turning it on, he hit 6 of 7 from 3 in the game prior to SD finishing with 24 points,tall and lengthy with great vision. Oh yeah and then there is Holt, we know what he did in Spokane.

This is going to be a battle, and we need to stick on delly like glue, we need to attack Waldow early on, and obviously contain Holt better than last time. We were completely outplayed in the 2nd half in Spokane, especially on the boards, and we missed close to 10 bunnies. We need to play with a sense of urgency, a win puts us in the drivers seat for the WCC Championship as well as a solid win to help with seeding.

Lets Go!!!

bigblahla
02-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Regarding scheduling, from the point of view of an SMC fan (not speaking for ALL SMC fans, mind you):

Sorry if I offend anyone. That "eggs in one basket" argument is condescending and one-dimensional, and tired. Get a new gripe.

You could have skipped the rest because it's not hard to see what Bennett is doing.

It may be condescending, it is one dimensional and as tiring as you think it is.

IT'S TRUE!

Because of the way Bennett schedules SMC does little to raise raise the national profile of the WCC conference which has a negative impact on Gonzaga.

Recent quote from Jeff Goodman.

"Gonzaga is 23-2, and we all know the Bulldogs are balanced and talented, but it's difficult to elevate a team in the WCC -- which clearly lacks another high-powered team this season -- to the No. 1 slot. Remember, Mark Few's team did lose at home to Illinois. However, Few always plays a tough non-league slate and this year Gonzaga took care of Kansas State and Oklahoma State prior to conference play."

If Gonzaga was Pepperdine coming to Moraga on Thursday no one in the country would care. Courtesy of Gonzaga with no help from SMC the Gaels get to play a top 5 team in front of a national audience.

SMC has nothing to lose however a GU victory would be over a team considered to be having an off year in a mediocre conference and that's the rub.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

RenoZag
02-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Is this the Randy Bennett apologists thread ?

Sorry, I must have missed the memo. . .

zagitup
02-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Thanks for coming into 'opponents territory' and submitting respectful posts, Gael guys. I am glad you are here. Sometimes in the last few years I have been surprised you haven't received more national attention, like you would if you were on the east coast, I think. I imagine your school's basketball budget is smaller than ours and I have to give Bennet credit for developing talent. His habit of playing a cupcake schedule has worked out better for SMC than it has for Chicken Romar in Seattle. I would be more critical of it, except that it has worked and last year is the proof. Frankly, and I am Few-lover, I think Bennet sees us coming better than Few sees you coming. Even when I think we would beat you 7 out of 10 times, you often pull off the win. I hope Few and crew have devoted a lot of time to studying SMC tapes and sets this year. In my book this is close to a do or die game because if we lose now, and esp again in the tournament), we get a lower seed like usual, and probably die in the 2nd round or Sweet 16 If we beat you now and in the tournament (if we both get there) this sets the table for a more likely deeper run. IMO we need, or at least want, a deep run in the Dance this year as you want to beat us. For me, both games have a do-or-be-set back greatly feel, because it hurts us to NEVER get past Sweet 16.

Good luck to both of you (except when you play us) because you make us better and you make the WCC better.

Where the heck is Dirt McGirt? Haven't seen him around for awhile...

soccerdud
02-10-2013, 06:49 PM
i think, tonight, that i have finally figured out the great disconnect.

randy bennett and smc are oriented toward winning the league, first and foremost. this is how they define their season, this is goal numero uno, and this is what they position themselves for. post-season tournaments are gravy. of course it would be nice to get the recognition and get to show their stuff on that stage... but that's secondary.

on the other hand, we have long since stopped defining ourselves based on our conference. we crave and expect the national stage and recognition. to most all of us, making and excelling in the NCAA tournament is what we're talking about and thinking about the entire season. sure, we like to win the WCC... but (particularly now that the streak is over) our biggest concerns through WCC play tend to be tournament seeding and matchups. yes, there's a rivalry, and it's nice to beat them and to win both the regular season and tournament titles-- but who wouldn't trade a league championship (or both league championships) for a chance at a final four run?

to me, it seems self-evident that if you have a top-40 type team, you should be in the NCAA tournament every year. it seems equally evident that SMC making the tourney only *every other year* since '08 is a clear sign that something is not working, given the teams they fielded over that period. yet, the same strategy persists. on the other hand, they've been competitive with us for both conference championships for several years. if you look purely at in-conference success, they've been essentially our equal over that same period... though they have only entered the national consciousness _only_ as our foil or as "that other team from the WCC".

this is why the statements about their scheduling miss the mark-- they have different priorities and criteria for success.

Angelo Roncalli
02-10-2013, 06:56 PM

Not as much as I want you guys to lose. :)

montanazag88
02-10-2013, 06:59 PM
...stop the continuos moving screen, keep Kelly and Elias out of foul trouble and keep the ball out of Delly's hands? IMO these are the three keys to the SMC game. All else is assumed, meaning Few will have them coming out aggressive on D right away, getting a lead and then keeping the subs aggressive while resting the starters.

Zagdawg
02-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Looking at last game against St Marys----Where do we have room for improvement?

We made a total of 4 3pt shots-- we missed 10 (shooting 28%) compared to our 38% season average.

Holt had the best game of his career--scoring 23 pts. He has averaged 6 pts a game over the last 4 games.

Delly had more TOs (4) than assists (3)--probably not going to happen again.

Guy/Hart had 1 RB and 2 pts combined--- we will see better than that at the 3 this time around.

Bell/Stockton had a total of 3 pts shooting 1-9--but 8 assists and 6 rbs.

If we can amp up the defensive intensity again and take care of the ball-- we should be in a good position to win one in the barn.

rennis
02-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Looking at last game against St Marys----Where do we have room for improvement?

We made a total of 4 3pt shots-- we missed 10 (shooting 28%) compared to our 38% season average.

Holt had the best game of his career--scoring 23 pts. He has averaged 6 pts a game over the last 4 games.

Delly had more TOs (4) than assists (3)--probably not going to happen again.

Guy/Hart had 1 RB and 2 pts combined--- we will see better than that at the 3 this time around.

Bell/Stockton had a total of 3 pts shooting 1-9--but 8 assists and 6 rbs.

If we can amp up the defensive intensity again and take care of the ball-- we should be in a good position to win one in the barn.

Good points. I agree that we could play a lot better in most areas of the game vs. how it finished up in Spokane.

Did not know that Holt's scoring is low right now. Could be because of Levesque. That kid is tearing it up. We gotta watch out for him in this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sideshow06
02-10-2013, 08:40 PM
this is why the statements about their scheduling miss the mark-- they have different priorities and criteria for success.

You have a point, but I often get the feeling that some of you guys think its as simple as just recalibrating expectations and everything would just fall into place and SMC could schedule tougher and would be a national power. Our schools are fundamentally different and partly because of our size, our facilities and location we're going to have to take a different path. I don't think Bennett has a small-picture view. I don't think he's content with just league titles. But we'll see if SMC can build on the current success to make something bigger. In the meantime, sure, we SMC fans are pretty happy playing plucky underdog and taking down the big dog. Once we've accomplished that a few times I'm sure we'll demand more.

soccerdud
02-10-2013, 09:31 PM
You have a point, but I often get the feeling that some of you guys think its as simple as just recalibrating expectations and everything would just fall into place and SMC could schedule tougher and would be a national power. Our schools are fundamentally different and partly because of our size, our facilities and location we're going to have to take a different path. I don't think Bennett has a small-picture view. I don't think he's content with just league titles. But we'll see if SMC can build on the current success to make something bigger. In the meantime, sure, we SMC fans are pretty happy playing plucky underdog and taking down the big dog. Once we've accomplished that a few times I'm sure we'll demand more.

yeah, everybody on both sides realizes the paths for the two schools will be different. we understand that GU had some natural advantages.

the point is that regardless of the details of the path, step 1 is playing tough games on the road. this was true for us, it will be true for you.

so, power to the fans for being happy with "plucky underdog" status, and congrats to RB and the team for pulling it off so well. in my eyes, you certainly have "accomplished that a few times" and would be well-served to demand more.

but the sign that RB is ready for that, and the first step toward actually accomplishing it, are *both* to schedule some tough away games-- even if the terms aren't so favorable.

and until both the program and the fans orient themselves more nationally, we're going to continue to have these convos.

DixieZag
02-10-2013, 10:35 PM

Sometimes I swear we believe in SMC more than you guys. Our entire point is that you HAVE a national powerhouse BB program. Its just only the Zags know it b/c we play all these schools (ND, UNC, Mich St,. . .) and we play you and see that you are at that level. And you ARE past the "plucky underdog" thing, you won the conference last year and SHOULD have won it the year before. But, we'll never know how you would be on the national radar b/c your staff keeps you off it.

Alright, since we haven't convinced you yet it seems like your big brother needs to come down and kick the plucky dog around a little until it leaves home.

J/K - - I appreciate your stuff sideshow. Stick around, love hearing from the knowledgable ones.

Naph
02-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Where the heck is Dirt McGirt? Haven't seen him around for awhile...

He's staging a 1 man protest against the SMC ticketing department who screwed him around last season. Hasn't posted on the SMC board all season either. He's certainly missed.

maynard g krebs
02-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Great posts, sideshow. Glad to have you here. I for one am a fan of SMC in most of their games when they're not playing GU. And I believe some Zag fans ignore the fact that it goes both ways in terms of who benefits. If GU was playing the SMC of a decade ago this week, nobody cares and the RPI drops, win or lose. As things are, this game will get considerable national attention, and that's a good thing.

Hope you hammer Creighton, and get to the NCAA tourney w/ a 14-2 conference record and a runner up finish in Vegas. And make the S16 again. Because it gives the league credibility.

bigblahla
02-11-2013, 06:04 AM

No offense but I disagree.

SMC is a good team that can choose to do more but doesn't.

Their priorities are the same they take the easy road and it's that simple. Ask any SMC player or coach if making the NCAA tournament is an afterthought.

Do you actually think any of them would say yes?

Why schedule this way? Because Bennett knows it's his best chance for success but that doesn't make it right as far as the conference goes. He knows how hard road wins are against good teams. Had Bennett played a GU type schedule with success can you imagine how big the game would be on Thursday. It's still a big game but the outcome will only help one team SMC. We win it doesn't hurt us but it only allows us to maintain our position it is by no means a boost other than a W. Losing however puts SMC in the national spotlight again courtesy of GU. Honestly what did they do to deserve it? Beat GU, the national profile of SMC.

Will pundits across the country become doubters about GU if they lose to SMC? Yes! Why? It will be perceived as a bad loss by most due to SMC's schedule.

As Reno stated earlier when did this become the Bennett apologist's thread.

This is war Zaggies plain and simple.

Beware the Gael bearing an olive branch it's sharpened on one end.

Beat SMC! :clap: :cheers: :clap:

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

DixieZag
02-11-2013, 06:18 AM
No offense

This is war Zaggies plain and simple.

Beware the Gael bearing an olive branch it's sharpened on one end.

Beat SMC! :clap: :cheers: :clap:

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

No offense taken, I like what you wrote. I would just note that very very few of us have come around to agree with SMC's policy but that doesn't mean that we are "at war" with their fans that come in and point out things that we don't see often.

I like many of their fans. It is war, I'll be clapping the Beat SMC the loudest but since it isn't RB coming with an olive branch, I think we can listen and engage the fans. In the end, the SMC fans are a world away from the Dooks, Kentuckys, etc I think we can at least discuss things and not give away our Zag pride.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-11-2013, 06:40 AM

I actually think Gonzaga fans and SMC fans are mostly in agreement that we'd all like to see SMC play more nationally televised non-conference games against quality opponents. I'd love to see SMC raise their national profile and RPI as well as the profile and RPI of the league. SMC is good enough to compete with upper-tier teams. Unfortunately, nobody outside of the WCC knows how good that team is because nobody has seen them play. When your best non-conference wins are Harvard and Northern Iowa, it is hard to complain that nobody views you as a top-tier team.

77Zag
02-11-2013, 06:50 AM
Hitting both the SMC and USF games this weekend --

Let's get them both done with passion and total game intensity. Time for the Zags to re-establish it's WCC domination. it's been a few years...

Go Zags - Beat SMC and USF!!

tobizag
02-11-2013, 06:52 AM
wouldn't it be neat if just for once, that ugly kid from smc got called for offensive fouls on all those forearm shivers he uses to hold defenders away? or for all those leaning, flopping, b******t NBA shooting fouls he gets?

run em outta the gym

LongIslandZagFan
02-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Leave the Bay Area fans in tears this week boys!

Bocco
02-11-2013, 07:39 AM
wouldn't it be neat if just for once, that ugly kid from smc got called for offensive fouls on all those forearm shivers he uses to hold defenders away? or for all those leaning, flopping, b******t NBA shooting fouls he gets?

run em outta the gym

he won't get called for those, RB is too good at working the refs, usually by the second half St. Mary's can get away with almost anything and not get call for a foul.....

bartruff1
02-11-2013, 08:00 AM
It is always difficult to win on the road, but Dr. Jerry must have made up the WCC schedule this year as it is just perfect for Gonzaga.

Just what the Dr. ordered, a week of practice at home followed by a couple tough road games followed by a week of practice at home. It doesn't get much better than that,,,

St Mary's has a advantage in the backcourt as it does over most teams in the country...but...our backcourt will not lose their composure and will do fine. They need to limit turn overs to around 15.

St Mary's has no answer in the frontcourt...none...they might try to clog it up and that will leave the perimeter open and if the Zags can hit 6 or more three's that will do it...IMHO of course.

The Gaels will have to shoot lights out to win this game and they might, but I like our chances...a lot...

The non conference schedule has Gonzaga well prepared for big games in hostile environments ....

primal23
02-11-2013, 08:25 AM
This is make or break for the WCC. A loss, the best we can hope for is a tie. And with USF on the horizon, another possible L, this becomes a MUST win for GU.

Zagdawg
02-11-2013, 10:27 AM
With the game falling on Valentines and an away game-- i see this as a positve for our guys.

Don't need to worry about what they are doing with their significant other after the game or before the game.

They will be able to concentrate on beating the Gaels.

McZag
02-11-2013, 06:00 PM
It's good to be disliked by some. It means that you have stood up for something, won something fairly or done something right.

Here's to hoping a few more folks in CA. dislike the Zags after Thursday.

MickMick
02-11-2013, 06:14 PM
We have Olynyk.

Last year we didn't.

Drub em. Beat em down.

sideshow06
02-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Regardless of the points made about SMC's SOS, one thing I think we can both agree on is that the SMC/GU games are slowly becoming something of a national phenomenon, and that's good for both of us (okay, maybe a little better from us since you're already getting more national attention, but it still helps you too). To those who complain about this being a game with no upside for GU (win and so what? lose and WTF?) I think that is becoming less of a problem (for you) because the consistently exciting nature of the games is leading to an understanding that even if St. Mary's isn't a recognized powerhouse, they always give GU a good game... sort of like saying "Yeah, that's technically not a great loss for GU, but it IS St. Mary's, and they always play GU tough". That doesn't help RPI, but it does soften the blow in the eyes of the selection committee I would think. The more well known the rivalry, the more slack they cut you if you lose and a touch more respect if you win - especially in McKeon.

See, I just tried to make an argument that a loss to us that hurts you in the short term somehow helps you in the long term. So I think you should just root for us too.

Anyhow, Bilas today just made another comment about it consistently "delivering" on the order of UNC/Duke. He's not the only one to mention putting SMC/GU on your calendar. We both need to be doing something right to make that happen. Dixie made a comment today on the God is a Gael board about our fates being somewhat entwined... of course, we SMC fans agree.

Win or lose, it's good for both of us if it's a good, close, memorable, hard-fought game. You guys who want a blowout win as opposed to a close one, I get it... but maybe that's not in your best interest long term.

HOOTER
02-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Do it.

bigblahla
02-12-2013, 06:40 AM
Regardless of the points made about SMC's SOS, one thing I think we can both agree on is that the SMC/GU games are slowly becoming something of a national phenomenon, and that's good for both of us (okay, maybe a little better from us since you're already getting more national attention, but it still helps you too). To those who complain about this being a game with no upside for GU (win and so what? lose and WTF?) I think that is becoming less of a problem (for you) because the consistently exciting nature of the games is leading to an understanding that even if St. Mary's isn't a recognized powerhouse, they always give GU a good game... sort of like saying "Yeah, that's technically not a great loss for GU, but it IS St. Mary's, and they always play GU tough". That doesn't help RPI, but it does soften the blow in the eyes of the selection committee I would think. The more well known the rivalry, the more slack they cut you if you lose and a touch more respect if you win - especially in McKeon.

See, I just tried to make an argument that a loss to us that hurts you in the short term somehow helps you in the long term. So I think you should just root for us too.

Anyhow, Bilas today just made another comment about it consistently "delivering" on the order of UNC/Duke. He's not the only one to mention putting SMC/GU on your calendar. We both need to be doing something right to make that happen. Dixie made a comment today on the God is a Gael board about our fates being somewhat entwined... of course, we SMC fans agree.

Win or lose, it's good for both of us if it's a good, close, memorable, hard-fought game. You guys who want a blowout win as opposed to a close one, I get it... but maybe that's not in your best interest long term.

Quit trying we're not buying.

Any loss to SMC will be viewed as a bad loss because of where you are positioned nationally at this moment. It will cost GU at least a seed line maybe two as it's the time of year the BCS mongers start promoting their agenda as to toughness of conference affiliation relative to NCAA seeds.

In the last 24 hours not less than 6 national pundits have mentioned the Zags as being possibly unworthy of their ranking because of conference affiliation. Why is that?

Gaels win and you will be ranked. Based on what? Your great body of work in the OOC?

The only way this works for GU is to beat SMC again and again and again until Bennett realizes that the way he schedules limits his teams opportunity to advance in the post season.

We know SMC is a good team, and road wins are as hard to come by in the WCC as any conference in the country, but you did little to show it and as champion harmed the whole conference in doing so.

We have to play you but if we didn't, we wouldn't. There is little value in playing a mid-major like SMC for Gonzaga save a win. Harsh? Yep, but that is the national perception of your program and the WCC. Regardless of what Gonzaga does, save win every game, we are guilty by association and penalized as such.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Robzagnut
02-12-2013, 07:46 AM
Anybody else here more worried about USF on Saturday than SMC on Thursday, especially if GU wins on Thursday?

That's the game that will sink their seeding in the tournament.

DixieZag
02-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Anybody else here more worried about USF on Saturday than SMC on Thursday, especially if GU wins on Thursday?

We have plenty enough to drive ourselves crazy about Thurs without having to resort to reaching out to Saturday.;) There will be plenty of time to panic about Saturday after Thursday - especially if we win.

bballbeachbum
02-12-2013, 11:16 AM
We have plenty enough to drive ourselves crazy about Thurs without having to resort to reaching out to Saturday.;) There will be plenty of time to panic about Saturday after Thursday - especially if we win.

+1!!!

Beat St. Mary's

beatsc
02-12-2013, 12:48 PM
The Saint Mary's basketball budget is a bit north of 30% of the Gonzaga basketball budget.

Currently Saint Mary's is in the process of building a very modern student activity center and new library. They have just completed a new baseball facility and many other major educational additions to the school.

Coach Bennett's goal is to build a program that competes with the best in the NCAA on a regular basis. I am sure he is also motivated by his student athletes improving on and off of the court.

He is motivated by winning the league and the WCC Tourney and going as deep as possible in the Tourney.

With the budget limitations of the program, Bennett has exceeded all expectations. And in the last ten years he has improved the reputation of not only the GAEL basketball program but the league too.

beatsc

jim77
02-12-2013, 12:58 PM
If you haven't seen St Mary's play lately, you should. They look really good to me but, they ain't better than GU when GU's on its game. In the end I'd like to see BOTH teams dancing...a close loss to the #3 team should help their cause:)....should be a barn burner.

McZag
02-12-2013, 01:04 PM

+1 Rob. Bravo. This is so true. Running the table in the WCC will not gie us a 1 seed and losing to SMC in Moraga will not cost us a 2 seed.

Losing to anyone else in the WCC or an early exit in Vegas will cost us a two seed and maybe more.

Losing to Butler was not all bad and losing Thursday will not be all bad as long we recover until Vegas. I don't need my Zags to run the table in league play to prove they are the best program in the conference.

I need them to stay healthy, deepen the bench minutes, dominate on defense and on the glass and everything else will fall into place.....

DixieZag
02-12-2013, 01:05 PM
The Saint Mary's basketball budget is a bit north of 30% of the Gonzaga basketball budget.

Currently Saint Mary's is in the process of building a very modern student activity center and new library. They have just completed a new baseball facility and many other major educational additions to the school.

Coach Bennett's goal is to build a program that competes with the best in the NCAA on a regular basis. I am sure he is also motivated by his student athletes improving on and off of the court.

He is motivated by winning the league and the WCC Tourney and going as deep as possible in the Tourney.

With the budget limitations of the program, Bennett has exceeded all expectations. And in the last ten years he has improved the reputation of not only the GAEL basketball program but the league too.

beatsc

May be hard to tell from down in California but anyone associated with GU would laugh themselves silly if someone thought that BB came before academics at GU. It is a rarity for GU to be ranked in the top 3 BB wise, we are always ranked at top 3 in regional univ. (ironically right along side SCU) by US News

beatsc
02-12-2013, 01:47 PM
May be hard to tell from down in California but anyone associated with GU would laugh themselves silly if someone thought that BB came before academics at GU. It is a rarity for GU to be ranked in the top 3 BB wise, we are always ranked at top 3 in regional univ. (ironically right along side SCU) by US News

Of course as a University, Gonzaga has the resources to provide an outstanding Jesuit education.

I didn't mean to imply that the Jesuits put sports before a well rounded education.

My point is that the Saint Mary's basketball program - because of it's budget constraints does have a different list of priorities than Gonzaga.

The national ranking of the WCC League is probably at the bottom of that list.

GoZags
02-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Of course as a University, Gonzaga has the resources to provide an outstanding Jesuit education.

I didn't mean to imply that the Jesuits put sports before a well rounded education.

My point is that the Saint Mary's basketball program - because of it's budget constraints does have a different list of priorities than Gonzaga.

The national ranking of the WCC League is probably at the bottom of that list.

Gonzaga's recruiting budget of less than $8k a year was ranked last in the WCC when this cute little run began in '94 under Fitz. Under Monson and Few this program did what they needed to and became relevant nationally. THEN and only then did additional resources come. So the "woe is me" we are underfunded schtick doesn't work with me. At all.

bigblahla
02-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Gonzaga's recruiting budget of less than $8k a year was ranked last in the WCC when this cute little run began in '94 under Fitz. Under Monson and Few this program did what they needed to and became relevant nationally. THEN and only then did additional resources come. So the "woe is me" we are underfunded schtick doesn't work with me. At all.

+1,000,000

Go!! Zags!!!

Once and Future Zag
02-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Stay classy Gael Fans. (http://godisagael.yuku.com/topic/6571/St-Marys-vs-Gonzaga-Valentine-Game?page=1#.URr_zaVCvRs)

"Harris, another Zaggot, is just as dangerous of a frontcourt player."

RenoZag
02-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Stay classy Gael Fans. (http://godisagael.yuku.com/topic/6571/St-Marys-vs-Gonzaga-Valentine-Game?page=1#.URr_zaVCvRs)

Pretty typical post from rugbygael. . .he's the "Section G" of the GIAG board

as for RB apologist sideshow:

You guys who want a blowout win as opposed to a close one, I get it... but maybe that's not in your best interest long term.

It's worth the risk

Once and Future Zag
02-12-2013, 06:54 PM
I don't see anyone calling him out on it though - like we see (most of the time) when someone calls them the Gayels or USD the Dawns here

DixieZag
02-12-2013, 07:21 PM
I don't see anyone calling him out on it though - like we see (most of the time) when someone calls them the Gayels or USD the Dawns here

I am actually surprised about that. Having been reading their board a little this week I have been pretty impressed, most their posters seem like pretty good guys.

Reborn
02-12-2013, 07:28 PM

What? What are you saying? Do you understand that this is GU vs St Mary's, the team who broke our 15 year domination of the WCC? You don't think we Zag fans don't want the Zags to drub 'em? A blow out certainly isn't in St mary's interest for the future (OR PRESENT). You see this IS a rivalry, and we Zag fans will take pleasure if we can keep you out of the tournament. At some point I really feel that Bennett and St Mary's should be punished for their "pathetic" OOC scheduling. And I hope this is the year. maybe the committee can wake Randy up. It is Randy who is not helping the conference. Not Mark Few and the Zags. A drubbing would say to me, "This is why we schedule such "tough" out of conference games. They prepare us for a game like Thursday night."

ZagaZags
02-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Every hero needs a villian. And Saint Mary's is our Joker.

gbnyba17
02-12-2013, 08:05 PM

I gotta admit, his reference to GBJ as G "Taco Bell" Jr and MH as "All Heart No Points" is pretty dang funny, at least I thought so.

Section 116
02-12-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm firmly in the Bigblaha and GoZags camp.

beatsc
02-13-2013, 06:36 AM

I'm confident Saint Mary's program does not feel sorry for itself because it is "underfunded".

I am thrilled the basketball program can beat programs like Gonzaga for 1/3 the cost.

The WCC Commissioner's Cup results illustrates the goal of the overall sports program at Saint Mary's.

Cheers,

Beat sc

GoZags
02-13-2013, 07:22 AM
I'm confident Saint Mary's program does not feel sorry for itself because of it is "underfunded".

I am thrilled the basketball program can beat programs like Gonzaga for 1/3 the cost.

The WCC Commissioner's Cup results illustrates the goal of the overall sports program at Saint Mary's.

Cheers,

Beat sc

That's very nice. Have you done the math per NCAA tourney victory? Or victories over high profile BCS schools whose budgets double, triple or quadruple yours? Or have you done the math per victory on National television vs a victory seen only on a campus fed internet stream (sometimes without audio?).

It's very nice to see your program "relevant" from a "National" perspective a couple (or three) times a year. Tomorrow night is one of those times.

BTW, it's an "odd" numbered year.

What do you think SMC's chances are to get to the NCAA tourney this year??? (hasn't happened in an odd numbered year since '05 when a very talented Gaels squad led by Kickert and Marigney, etc. lost by 9 to the Salukis of Southern Illinois in the opening round). But that was okay, since SMC finished 8th (http://www.wccsports.com/genrel/061705aab.html) in the WCC Commissioner's Cup that year.

Zagsker
02-13-2013, 07:25 AM

You do understand though that St. Mary's "1/3 the cost" mentality lends itself to the basketball team having spot moments of relevence, right? St. Mary's has had a nice run with some very quality guard play. That will fade and you will go back to middle of the pack and this trend where you are winning 1 out of every 2 games will go back to the more consistent 1 out of 4 that has been the pattern over the years.

I want St. Mary's to have longterm success, it is what is best for the conference...but that is not going to happen if Admin sits there and thinks they can sustain success with the budget and facilities they are currently using.

DixieZag
02-13-2013, 07:38 AM
You do understand though that St. Mary's "1/3 the cost" mentality lends itself to the basketball team having spot moments of relevence, right? St. Mary's has had a nice run with some very quality guard play. That will fade and you will go back to middle of the pack and this trend where you are winning 1 out of every 2 games will go back to the more consistent 1 out of 4 that has been the pattern over the years.

I want St. Mary's to have longterm success, it is what is best for the conference...but that is not going to happen if Admin sits there and thinks they can sustain success with the budget and facilities they are currently using.

There are a ton of Big East schools that have tiny gyms and play their big games at big arenas (UCONN, Georgetown, Providence), I would think that they would have no problem drawing 10,000 to the GU game if played at the Oakland arena and that would be a way to establish a bigger following in the Bay Area, make some more money - - without the lay out of money to build a bigger facility on campus, a campus that is beautiful but isolated and tough to get to for anyone not in the East Bay.

Furthermore, it would make a ton of sense to play Cal and Stanford annually at the same place. The administrators need to think a little creatively here.

We do want an elite program at SMC.

GoZags
02-13-2013, 07:42 AM

We'll have to see how the NCAA rules on their ongoing investigation before proclaiming that SMC has a shot at becoming an "elite" program.

FWIW the Zags "cute little run" took off while on NCAA probation. Perhaps the Gaels' version of a "run" will be able to continue. Time will tell.

Zag4Hire
02-13-2013, 07:47 AM
Beat the Gaels and Happy Ash Wednesday.

bballbeachbum
02-13-2013, 08:29 AM

oh yeah, and learned a couple of historical things too. And I'm with Reborn!

Beat St. Mary's

TheZagPhish
02-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Beat the Gaels

beatsc
02-13-2013, 09:49 AM
There are a ton of Big East schools that have tiny gyms and play their big games at big arenas (UCONN, Georgetown, Providence), I would think that they would have no problem drawing 10,000 to the GU game if played at the Oakland arena and that would be a way to establish a bigger following in the Bay Area, make some more money - - without the lay out of money to build a bigger facility on campus, a campus that is beautiful but isolated and tough to get to for anyone not in the East Bay.

Furthermore, it would make a ton of sense to play Cal and Stanford annually at the same place. The administrators need to think a little creatively here.

Really well thought out Dixie. Thank you. There has been talk of a round robin tourney between, Santa Clara, San Jose State, USF, Cal, Stanford and Saint Mary's at the Oakland Arena.

To date, both Cal and Stanford refuse to play Saint Mary's on a regular basis.

beatsc
02-13-2013, 09:53 AM

I'm not sure what patterns you have been looking at.

Saint Mary's has been very competitive in the WCC for the last 10 years. I don't see that edge changing in the future even with the current budget constraints.

beatsc
02-13-2013, 10:04 AM
That's very nice. Have you done the math per NCAA tourney victory? Or victories over high profile BCS schools whose budgets double, triple or quadruple yours? Or have you done the math per victory on National television vs a victory seen only on a campus fed internet stream (sometimes without audio?).

It's very nice to see your program "relevant" from a "National" perspective a couple (or three) times a year. Tomorrow night is one of those times.

BTW, it's an "odd" numbered year.

What do you think SMC's chances are to get to the NCAA tourney this year??? (hasn't happened in an odd numbered year since '05 when a very talented Gaels squad led by Kickert and Marigney, etc. lost by 9 to the Salukis of Southern Illinois in the opening round). But that was okay, since SMC finished 8th (http://www.wccsports.com/genrel/061705aab.html) in the WCC Commissioner's Cup that year.

I think our chances of going to the Tourney this year are very good.

I don't rely on numerology or tarot cards, just results.

Just to let you know my entire Gael family has cheered on the Gonzaga program every year they have been in the Tourney.

I want to come back in another life and play basketball like blake stepp.

Southern Illinois beat us pretty good, and their program has been irrelevant for years.

Gonzaga has a great program for years.

Good luck tomorrow night and the rest of the year.

beat sc.

GoZags
02-13-2013, 10:07 AM
I think our chances of going to the Tourney this year are very good.

I don't rely on numerology or tarot cards, just results.

Just to let you know my entire Gael family has cheered on the Gonzaga program every year they have been in the Tourney.

I want to come back in another life and play basketball like blake stepp.

Southern Illinois beat us pretty good, and their program has been irrelevant for years.

Gonzaga has a great program for years.

Good luck tomorrow night and the rest of the year.

beat sc.

Same to SMC -- Good luck tomorrow and the rest of the year. Appreciate your visits over here.

gamagin
02-13-2013, 10:13 AM

well said.

Oregonzagnut
02-13-2013, 10:29 AM
To date, both Cal and Stanford refuse to play Saint Mary's on a regular basis.

Just like the Pac 12. UW refuses to play Gonzaga. They feel their dominant recruiting in the West is threatened by the WCC leaders.

This is true.

Zagsker
02-13-2013, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure what patterns you have been looking at.

Saint Mary's has been very competitive in the WCC for the last 10 years. I don't see that edge changing in the future even with the current budget constraints.

out of the last 29 games played between GU/SMC (2001- to current)..SMC has won 7 of them. These last few years has been a 50/50 split...imo, unless SMC shows a committed effort to enhance both facilities and recruiting budget, you guys will ride out this current success and just like anyother team that goes through these 2-4 years of "greater than usual" success it will eventually die out and you go back to the middle of the pack where you win 1 out of every 4 to 6/7 games vs GU

maynard g krebs
02-13-2013, 12:13 PM
St Mary's right now is Winthrop 1999-2007. A program that rose against the odds because of a great coach in Marshall, and sank back into obscurity when he left for Wichita State. Had Few left for another job after a few years at GU, it could have suffered the same fate. Now with the new arena and national rep built over a decade and a half, it seems like GU could survive a coaching change and stay nationally relevant if the right hire was made.

Under current circumstances, if Bennett takes another job it seems likely SMC becomes another Santa Clara or USF, at best. Just over a decade ago, Pepperdine was what SMC is now, and just given the location you'd think Pepp would have some big recruiting advantages.

As others have mentioned, GU is Spokane's pro franchise, basically, and SMC will never be that in the bay. If they want to think big and build the infrastructure and schedule to be a national program, more power to them. But that's a major expenditure of money and expense. There are a number of WCC programs that seem to have built in advantages to SMC in terms of location (and maybe other factors I don't know about) and nobody is continually ripping on them on this board.

imo people should just be glad they're good now, enjoy the fact that the rivalry exists, and hope it lasts as long as possible. Nobody else has really done what GU has in the modern era (Butler plays in a big historical arena in the heart of bb country, so it's not the same), and to criticize SMC for not doing the same seems kind of like tilting at windmills. Just my opinion.

Bing
02-14-2013, 04:03 AM
Beat St. Mary's.

Hoopaholic
02-14-2013, 06:16 AM
Dixie...kinda sort on the three storybook programs arenas....providence has the dunkin doughnut center as their home court since 1972 and does not use their tiny gym on campus t all for men's basketball...Georgetown has used Verizon center for all home games since 1997... Icon has hamper gm but it holds almost 5,000 fans......but I think ou are correct hat SMc cold benefit by shifting from the small high school gym to a larger facility per angle if they cannot build......but their campus is second most idyllic setting in wcc. Second to usd in my opinion so campus action holds a lot of allure as well.....last year tailgates galore in parking lots and atmosphere was incredible

Zag4Hire
02-14-2013, 06:45 AM
Dixie...kinda sort on the three storybook programs arenas....providence has the dunkin doughnut center as their home court since 1972 and does not use their tiny gym on campus t all for men's basketball...Georgetown has used Verizon center for all home games since 1997... Icon has hamper gm but it holds almost 5,000 fans......but I think ou are correct hat SMc cold benefit by shifting from the small high school gym to a larger facility per angle if they cannot build......but their campus is second most idyllic setting in wcc. Second to usd in my opinion so campus action holds a lot of allure as well.....last year tailgates galore in parking lots and atmosphere was incredible

The reason the BE teams can pull this off is the draw of the opponents as well. I went to the Georgetown/St. John's game recently and the Verizon Center was packed to the gills. I get it that it is the last year of BE play for several teams but if a team could potentially be playing Louisville, Syracuse, and UConn in a homestand, people seem more inclined to attend. The only draw in most cases to get into the WCC gyms is Gonzaga and in some respects, BYU and SMC. If SMC is going to try to get regular home games at a larger venue (Oracle Arena for example), the conference will have to improve significantly. They may want to start trying to get the Pete Newell Classic, Cable Car Classic, etc fired up again. Throw out a 4 team, 2 game invite, get a BCS team, a Missouri Valley/MWC team, SMC, and a cupcake. Especially with BracketBusters ending, SMC is going to need something.

GU69
02-14-2013, 06:54 AM
We're at the point of the season where almost every game feels like it is the most important game of the whole year.

This game certainly fits that: it is the most important game so far.

Beat St. Mary's!!!!!!!

ZagginAround
02-14-2013, 06:57 AM
A Little Poem for the game tonight:

Happy Valentines Day to everyone,
Beating St. Mary’s would be number one.
Pangos and Bell starting to catch fire,
All of St Mary’s will just sit and admire.
Harris getting it done inside and out,
Bennett on the sidelines wanting to pout.
Gonzaga taking it to the Gaels blow after blow,
St Mary’s wishes they had Olynyk’s sweet flow.
Seeing him dunk and drive to the rim,
Makes St Mary’s chances ever so slim.
So lets get ready and take it to SMC tonight,
Unlike the ugly mouthpiece our stars will shine bright.
Go Zags and show them who’s boss,
Lets give these Gaels another big loss.

Hoopaholic
02-14-2013, 07:10 AM
Agree on the approach zags4hire

Kiddwell
02-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Gaels run for cover,
Like a turkey through the corn.

:]

bballbeachbum
02-14-2013, 10:20 AM