02-08-2013, 09:37 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

I could live with this.

77Zag
02-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Most definately a dream draw....

Oregonzagnut
02-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Too good to be true. Montana and UNC are no match. Even OSU would be shakin' in their shoes to play us in the S16.

We don't lose twice to them. Period. Plus we are just better anyway. and I would love to test our game against Arizona!

ZagMan in Philly
02-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Sorry Arizona is not a #1 seed, I would give it to Florida. But i do like the draws.

Zagdawg
02-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Wow-- Book it-- I'll take it!

Bouldin4Prez
02-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Not sure why everyone is excited to play NC state. That would be a really tough match up for our Zags to be honest. Our bigs certainly can score the basketball but I feel we would get killed on the boards.

cggonzaga
02-08-2013, 10:04 AM
I would give it to Florida

Overrated! So is Arizona!

bartruff1
02-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Not sure why everyone is excited to play NC state. That would be a really tough match up for our Zags to be honest. Our bigs certainly can score the basketball but I feel we would get killed on the boards.

..When you see the kind of teams you have to beat to advance, it reminds me of how difficult it is....

I imagine St Mary's knows the way to San Jose ....St John's ?? That looks like some of our previous first round sites.

ZagMan in Philly
02-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Overrated! So is Arizona!

give it to..zags, mich st, cuse, ohio. st, kansas, canes ???? florida may run the table from here on out.

TravelinZag
02-08-2013, 10:22 AM
BZ, definitely livable! Hard to design a credible bracket much more favorable. After years of being shafted, or sometimes just feeling like the Zags were, this year is different. The Zags' fate is almost completely in their own hands (declining RPI notwithstanding).

Best team ever! Best chance ever! Zags' year! FF & beyond!

sittingon50
02-08-2013, 10:40 AM
In a heartbeat.

Blitzing-Zag
02-08-2013, 10:44 AM
I would love that draw for us.

NotoriousZ
02-08-2013, 10:45 AM
In a heartbeat.

What he said.

bulldoginpdx
02-08-2013, 11:09 AM
I saw that this morning and would give up a kidney for that bracket.

BULLDOG#1
02-08-2013, 11:16 AM
love the bracket too... but really, we should be switched with arizona.

I never thought the zags would be a #1, but with all the losses piling up with the teams above us, you gotta think there's a chance...

LOVE to get the buckeyes in the sweet 16!

BTB
02-08-2013, 11:18 AM
March Madness is going to be really difficult this year, the second round is going to be full of a lot of scary teams. NC State was a top 5 team to start the year, I wouldn't want to play them! Montana is even scary, Will Cherry is better than any of our guard and Kareem Jamar is better than any of our 3s.. (of course we still shouldn't even get tested in that game but I could see a close one). I really like the sweet 16 and elite 8 matchups though!

cggonzaga
02-08-2013, 11:28 AM
give it to..zags, mich st, cuse, ohio. st, kansas, canes ???? florida may run the table from here on out.

So much parity in college basketball this year. Florida will not run the table. I said before their number 2 ranking they were overrated. SEC is garbage.

GonzaGAW
02-08-2013, 11:29 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

I could live with this.

live with this? no, i'd die for a 2 seed in the west.

but no way arizona gets a 1 seed, unless they win out in conference and conference tourney, but i'd love to play them, i think zags are flat out a better team than arizona.

siliconzag
02-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Let's start with putting Arizona over the Zags. I could see putting Florida over the Zags, but not Arizona. The next consideration is balanced leagues, which we don't happen to be in. Take for example: Pac 12. They are just destroying each other, and more damage remains to be done. I would not be surprised to see the Bears rebound against the Bruins on Saturday, nor would I be surprised to see Romars boys pull another upset (even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile). Other balanced leagues include MVC. Wichita and Creighton are having trouble with the "second tier teams." Yet another example of a balanced league is the Big 10, but it appears to be the only one getting a "pass," meaning the losses in this league are considered more "excusable." Finally there is the Big East (future not withstanding). I think Louisville is a final four team, and Syracuse might be.

I am not saying that I could do a better job, but let me say that I think the Zags, should they survive the SMC assault in Moraga and win out, deserve a 1 Seed. They once gave UW a 1 seed on a less impressive body of work.

Our team still has to deal with taller guards, and that worries me, especially against taller, defensive minded guards. Our defense looked very good to me last night, but we were playing a third or fourth tier team not a second tier team.

I am personally pulling for a Valentine's Day Massacre, but I am not counting on it (Gaels victims, Zags victors). After watching them demolish SCU last night (the Zag game was boring by comparison), I am convinced they are far from a paper tiger, and declarations of their demise are wildly exaggerated.

Sili

VinnyZag
02-08-2013, 12:16 PM
SEC is garbage.

That's what other fans say about the WCC.

The SEC might not be very good, but that doesn't mean that Florida isn't very good. Any more than you can conclude that Gonzaga isn't very good just because LMU, Pepp, USF, etc. aren't good.

Idahomie
02-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Interesting take there by Mr. Lunardi having Arizona as one of the Last Four In and yet giving them a number #1 seed.

They are overrated and should not jump us in the polls nor in the tourney seeding. However, I would love to play them, rub their face in the dirt and show all the west coast recruits who is still the King of the Left Coast. Just cause their jersey says Arizona on it doesn't make them the one of the great Lute Olson teams that came before.

DixieZag
02-08-2013, 12:37 PM
The game at SMC will likely decide whether we compete for a 1 seed or the top 2. Obviously we cannot have any losses on our schedule for that to be true, but the away game at SMC is the only one which requires us to be at our
A game to win.

Despite SMC's bad losses, their terrible half against us (comeback was heavily dependent upon the change in officiating that occurred over the half) and essentially another loss at BYU absent a circus shot from Delly - - - despite all that, when SMC is playing well they are a very very tough team, they do not have anywhere close to the talent they have had in the past but Delly is that special type of player that helps a team mesh and play better. They are also very skilled and so much better at home than on the road.

Additionally - - this Zag game will undoubtedly determine whether they can get an at-large bid to the tournament. If they were to beat us, and both teams won out (harder for us), we would share the regular season league crown and that will be very tough for the committee to ignore. Given that, we can expect a monumental effort from SMC, the same rabid type effort which led to our blowout last year at their place.

The SMC game will be watched by the people that count. If we withstand SMC's effort and teamwork in their garage, it will say a lot about our overall placement as one seed worthy or not. Fortunately, after a win at OSU and the effort and "half-win" at Butler, I think that we will match their effort and we will win. It will be as BIG a regular season game as we have had in a while.

zagzilla
02-08-2013, 12:52 PM
We have several of our wins hanging at the margins of some important thresholds:

Oklahoma and Baylor are Top 25 wins but barely
Ok St is #28 and could be a 3rd Top 25 win if they keep winning
Santa Clara is currently Top 100 win but barely at #98
WVU is at 92 and we need them to stick in the top 100

If SMC and BYU could get into to Top 50 somehow that would be great but I think the WCC is dragging them down too unless the beat us which is a bad thing.

In the conversation for #2 or #1 seeds the committee will look at record vs RPI 25, 50, 100 and a win again a #25 team means dis-proportionately more than a win against #26.

ZZ

cggonzaga
02-08-2013, 12:58 PM
The SEC might not be very good, but that doesn't mean that Florida isn't very good. Any more than you can conclude that Gonzaga isn't very good just because LMU, Pepp, USF, etc. aren't good

I guess I should've said that Florida is overrated regardless of which conference they're in. The SEC is garbage comment was more a sidebar. I'd say they are top 12 not top 5 just from watching them.

LynetteG
02-08-2013, 02:02 PM
I LOVE THIS! Especially since I have tickets here in SLC! Woot, woot! :)

NotoriousZ
02-08-2013, 02:25 PM
...the away game at SMC is the only one which requires us to be at our A game to win...

I think the folks at BYU and USF may cause us some problems. We seem to play like crap every year at USF probably because it's a road game paired with the SMC game, just like this year. And BYU is extremely difficult to escape from with a win, just ask SMC. Even if BYU is having somewhat of a down season, their fans, with their collective groans on EVERY SINGLE CALL against them, make it mind numbing to watch on TV, I can't imagine what it's like to actually be there.

UberZagFan
02-08-2013, 02:46 PM
For those commenting on this.bracket and talking about what a team may or may not do in the future, remember that Lunardi does this based on where things stand today not on what he thinks things might looklike on selection Sunday.

DoMieD
02-08-2013, 04:13 PM

This. This. This. This would be a terrrrrrible draw for us.

Ohio State would again be a terrible matchup for us as well

I have no problem with being in Arizonas bracket tho..

Do not want to see NC State or OSU

SunDevilGolfZag
02-08-2013, 04:41 PM
This would be a great bracket for us. But Arizona as a 1 seed? Dream on, they are more like a 3 at best.

UKWildcatsFan
02-08-2013, 04:44 PM
NC State would be a tough Round of 32 match-up and Ohio State in the Sweet 16 would be no picnic. But I trust the Zags would take care of business there, and there is nobody in the top half of that bracket that scares me. Final Four here we come.

Reborn
02-08-2013, 06:26 PM
What I like about the bracket today is that we are in the West. I just hope we stay there. It's more important to me that we are in the West Regionals in LA and get to play in either San Jose or Salt Lake City pod.

I have no problem at all playing North Carolina St in Salt Lake City but prefer to play in San Jose. And I would love to get another crack at Ohio St this year. Yes. They are very good but so are all the 3's: Mich St, Louisville and Syracuse. If a team makes it to the Sweet Sixteen, of course every game after that will be very, very tough to win, for all the teams. And this year to make the Sweet Sixteen will be a very good accomplishment.

What is so wierd about bracketology is that we have 9 weeks left I think, and an amazing two brackets a week. So change is the name of the game for Bracketology, so the key is to not get set on anything. But knowing that, it still is a lot of fun, and I anxiously wait each time one is ready to come out (now on Tuesdays and Fridays). There are so many games left, and many teams in the top 25 will suffer defeats along the way, and some will suffer multiple defeats. If the Zags can go undefeated, they would indeed be a very special team.

ZagsBaby
02-08-2013, 07:33 PM
If Arizona gets a 1 seed, Gonzaga should be National Champion favorites.

Pac-12 is bad

ZagLawGrad
02-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Oh my.......:cheers:

Oregonzagnut
02-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Interesting take there by Mr. Lunardi having Arizona as one of the Last Four In and yet giving them a number #1 seed.

Arizona State is one of the last 4 in.

ZagsBaby
02-08-2013, 10:36 PM
By the way, talking about match ups and who's in what bracket is pointless.

Joe is really good at predicting the field and seedings, but match ups is a complete crap shoot. He knows nothing when it comes to match ups so don't waste your breath talking about "this is bad" or "this is great!" this is just a guess. nothing more.

sittingon50
02-08-2013, 10:39 PM
This is great!

Reborn
02-09-2013, 04:26 AM
The Zags' game against St Mary's will be huge. St Mary's is playing real good right now (but may get upset tonight); so a Zag victory could propell them into being a #1 seed in March. The committee can not deny that every team is vulnerable this year. Butler did beat Illinois. Ok State did upset Kansas. And then Kansas loses to TCU the next game. Could the committee really justify putting Kansas ahead of Gonzaga? They now have two loses in their conference, and I see more ahead. Indiana has looked so good lately, but even though it seemed like they had the game against Illinois in hand, Illinois suddenly pulled off the upset. I do think that if Gonzaga wins out and Arizona gets beat again that Gonzaga has a very argument for being the Number one seed in the west. And THIS really can happen. I'm so excited.

Go Zags!!!

DixieZag
02-09-2013, 04:45 AM
By the way, talking about match ups and who's in what bracket is pointless.

Joe is really good at predicting the field and seedings, but match ups is a complete crap shoot. He knows nothing when it comes to match ups so don't waste your breath talking about "this is bad" or "this is great!" this is just a guess. nothing more.

I think that everyone knows this. I think the point of diaries such as this one is to look at all the possibilities as the season evolves to try to figure out what kind of teams are favorable match-ups for us and what kind of brackets are full of teams that give us fits.

ZagMan in Philly
02-09-2013, 04:48 AM
The Zags' game against St Mary's will be huge. St Mary's is playing real good right now (but may get upset tonight); so a Zag victory could propell them into being a #1 seed in March. The committee can not deny that every team is vulnerable this year. Butler did beat Illinois. Ok State did upset Kansas. And then Kansas loses to TCU the next game. Could the committee really justify putting Kansas ahead of Gonzaga? They now have two loses in their conference, and I see more ahead. Indiana has looked so good lately, but even though it seemed like they had the game against Illinois in hand, Illinois suddenly pulled off the upset. I do think that if Gonzaga wins out and Arizona gets beat again that Gonzaga has a very argument for being the Number one seed in the west. And THIS really can happen. I'm so excited.

Go Zags!!!

I like your logic. Lets prove that Jazz is wrong about SD, and they can beat SM today :drool:
Jazz, if you read this, please go to the game and root on for SD.

jazzdelmar
02-09-2013, 07:50 AM
I like your logic. Lets prove that Jazz is wrong about SD, and they can beat SM today :drool:
Jazz, if you read this, please go to the game and root on for SD.

Naa. I will watch Zags at 5 and maybe Mary's on TV. Slim gym is depressing without Zags and maybe two thousand fans sitting on their hands. Besides the toreros got my sixty bucks.

Bogozags
02-09-2013, 08:04 AM
The game at SMC will likely decide whether we compete for a 1 seed or the top 2. Obviously we cannot have any losses on our schedule for that to be true, but the away game at SMC is the only one which requires us to be at our
A game to win.

Despite SMC's bad losses, their terrible half against us (comeback was heavily dependent upon the change in officiating that occurred over the half) and essentially another loss at BYU absent a circus shot from Delly - - - despite all that, when SMC is playing well they are a very very tough team, they do not have anywhere close to the talent they have had in the past but Delly is that special type of player that helps a team mesh and play better. They are also very skilled and so much better at home than on the road.

Additionally - - this Zag game will undoubtedly determine whether they can get an at-large bid to the tournament. If they were to beat us, and both teams won out (harder for us), we would share the regular season league crown and that will be very tough for the committee to ignore. Given that, we can expect a monumental effort from SMC, the same rabid type effort which led to our blowout last year at their place.

The SMC game will be watched by the people that count. If we withstand SMC's effort and teamwork in their garage, it will say a lot about our overall placement as one seed worthy or not. Fortunately, after a win at OSU and the effort and "half-win" at Butler, I think that we will match their effort and we will win. It will be as BIG a regular season game as we have had in a while.

Dixie,

I agree a win at SMC this year would be monumental and might be enough to guarantee us a #2 seed, even if we lose a game at BYU or in the tournament.

"IF" SMC and BYU hold their home court advantage, then GU could well tie for 3rd and have to play each other in the WCC Tourney like we did last year.

In this latest bracket, if it were the final bracket, I think SMC (WCC) has an excellent opportunity of having two teams reaching the S16, because of match-ups, but don't see them staying within 20 with UM.

"IF" we can be victorious at SMC, then we would have a very good shot at being a #2 seed BUT if we lose two games on the road and win the WCC we will wind up being a four seed and don't like that scenario. I think the key is rebounding at both SMC/BYU. We control the boards, we control the game...IMO

Mantua
02-09-2013, 12:21 PM
I love the bracket, but still...Go UCLA!

As much as we love this team and as they have chalked up great numbers, winning out looks daunting.