• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gozags99
    Bulldog Fan
    • Feb 2007

8-Man Rotation?

I know there have been endless threads on playing time and player combinations. Just my two cents, but I feel it is time to solidify our best rotation. It is the point in the season to be "in the now" instead of planning for the future.

Player Avg. Mins My Call Going Forward
    Pangos 32 34 (needs to define as true floor leader)
    Bell 29 32 (plays great offense and defense)
    Hart 15 22 (one of the most efficient players, intangibles)
    Harris 27 30 (a beast on the boards and his last hurrah)
    Olynyk 25 32 (Few is too conservative with his "foul trouble")

Dower 19 18 (the perfect 6th man to fill for Harris/Olynyk)
    Stockton 19 14 (makes as many mistakes as good plays)
    Barham 7 18 (proven ability to knock down 3 and stretch d)

Dranginis, Karnoski, Edi can play all garbage minutes to improve for the future. Every once in awhile, there may be a situational reason to insert these players.

If we were in a top league, in competetive games each week, I truly feel this 8-man rotation would be the most balanced and productive. It would also lead to more cohesive flow for those eight players. I see it as a challenge for the guards to manage and play with so many lineup changes with a 10 or 11 man rotation. Especially when certain players are inserted for only 2 minutes of play.
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Disagree.

In tough games to come shrinking the bench is warranted.

These games are necessary to learn who should be included in that 8 or 9 man rotation. After all, 3 weeks ago you would not have included Barham had he not gotten good minutes against Portland. Karno shows vast improvement in his defense/effort and may find his hot hand again. Dranginis showed signs yesterday that he can contribute in certain situations GLE - - I am going to believe that Few is trying to rest his ankle and not a doghouse situation.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Comment

• GoZags
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Gonzaga seemed to do okay with a deep rotation in the '99 dance -- where they were 33 seconds and a possession away from the Final Four in the Regional Final game against UConn. Against Stanford 10 guys got at least 9 minutes (and 9 guys got into double figures).

Zags v Stanford

Zags v Florida

Zags v UConn

That being said -- Mark Few has a tendency to shorten his bench in the post season -- and in the past has given more minutes to his senior leaders (even if the fanbase didn't have as much faith as Coach did -- i.e. Winston Brooks in the Cincy and Arizona games in '03).

It'll certainly be interesting to see how this develops. I agree that Drew Barnham (and perhaps Guy Landry Edi) could be keys in this year's dance.
      sigpic
      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Zagdawg
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

If you have the horses--use them.

By inserting guys into the rotation that are fresh and have the energy-- you wear down the other team and present different looks and strengths.

We saw the energy that Dranginis brought last night-- it was great. He is a good player and just needs some time on the floor to boost his confidence.

Anything can happen in a game-- foul trouble, cramping/injury and if you don't give your bench some time on the floor to get comfortable, you may be putting them in a big same situation and then you get to live with the results.

The rest of the team loves it when their partners get time on the floor and it boosts team moral/spirit.

Play em if you got em.

Comment

• zagzilla
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I think it is great coaching by Few to play Dranginis and Barham with extended minutes during the WCC season. We need to establish them as credible outside threats when future opponents scout us so that they don't gameplan to sag off and double the post.

That makes KO and EH more effective and puts more pressure on the opponent to guard us straight up.

Hart getting fewer minutes of late but he's already a known quantity and is our defensive glue guy on the wing.

We need Kyle and Drew to have confidence to let their shots fly and that is what they are getting right now.

This will pay dividends down the road.

Go Zags!

ZZ

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
            Administrator
            • Apr 2009

I love to see box scores with nine or ten guys playing real minutes and making meaningful contributions. I like the idea of giving quality minutes to the subs, especially against weaker competition. It helps them develop confidence and learn their roles for the team. If they are ultimately needed in tight games, they'll be more ready to play. Spreading the playing time also rests the starters and allows them to recover from minor injuries as the season progresses.
            Last edited by Martin Centre Mad Man; 02-09-2013, 04:49 AM.
            “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• bballbeachbum
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2008

depends on the matchups, that's what I always think

Comment

• gamagin
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

+1

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                Gonzaga seemed to do okay with a deep rotation in the '99 dance -- where they were 33 seconds and a possession away from the Final Four in the Regional Final game against UConn. Against Stanford 10 guys got at least 9 minutes (and 9 guys got into double figures).

Zags v Stanford

Zags v Florida

Zags v UConn

That being said -- Mark Few has a tendency to shorten his bench in the post season -- and in the past has given more minutes to his senior leaders (even if the fanbase didn't have as much faith as Coach did -- i.e. Winston Brooks in the Cincy and Arizona games in '03).

It'll certainly be interesting to see how this develops. I agree that Drew Barnham (and perhaps Guy Landry Edi) could be keys in this year's dance.
                I'd put it this way, in corroboration with what you say and how I have observed this program and coach.

By the end of the season, everyone has seen which Zags tend to step up and which tend to still be struggling. Those who have produced the best will see the most p.t.

If there are any question marks remaining, seniority tips the scales because experience is what is most needed if/when things break down or we get lost.

I don't think it's difficult to name who MF relies on and figure they will be relied on going forward.
                Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• kclubfounder
                  Zag for Life
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Gozags99 View Post
                  I know there have been endless threads on playing time and player combinations. Just my two cents, but I feel it is time to solidify our best rotation. It is the point in the season to be "in the now" instead of planning for the future.

Player Avg. Mins My Call Going Forward
                  Pangos 32 34 (needs to define as true floor leader)
                  Bell 29 32 (plays great offense and defense)
                  Hart 15 22 (one of the most efficient players, intangibles)
                  Harris 27 30 (a beast on the boards and his last hurrah)
                  Olynyk 25 32 (Few is too conservative with his "foul trouble")

Dower 19 18 (the perfect 6th man to fill for Harris/Olynyk)
                  Stockton 19 14 (makes as many mistakes as good plays)
                  Barham 7 18 (proven ability to knock down 3 and stretch d)

Dranginis, Karnoski, Edi can play all garbage minutes to improve for the future. Every once in awhile, there may be a situational reason to insert these players.

If we were in a top league, in competetive games each week, I truly feel this 8-man rotation would be the most balanced and productive. It would also lead to more cohesive flow for those eight players. I see it as a challenge for the guards to manage and play with so many lineup changes with a 10 or 11 man rotation. Especially when certain players are inserted for only 2 minutes of play.
                  I'd give Dranginis a bit more love. Edi's minutes don't help the future, but he's kept a positive attitude (as far as I can tell) so I'd reward him accordingly in garbage time. Karno's minutes would help the future, but I agree should generally only come in garbage time.

In the end I come pretty close to agreeing entirely with your philosophy.

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2008

I agree on the 8 players you identify, but I don't see minutes consolidating just yet. We're not trying to integrate players who are unfamiliar with each other, so I think Few will use his bench, including KD and PK, until the conference schedule is over. Best to have our guys as fresh as possible (and injury-free).
                    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• Gozags99
                      Bulldog Fan
                      • Feb 2007

I realize that I am promoting my own post, but after the last two games, I am a firm believer that this rotation will take us the deepest. This is not meant to be a knock against DS, KD, PK, or GLE, but they should be inserted for special situation minutes only. Kudos to Hart and Drew for solidifying the three spot with hustle and efficiency. KD and PK will both be stars some day, but they are not very productive bench players unless they can be inserted for 6 or 8 minutes at a time.

Gozags!

Comment

• TacomaZAG
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2007

Player combinations........

IMHO, for us to go deep in March (and maybe April), the following minutes/player combinations are imperative:

1. KP and GBJ need to log 35+ minutes per game each. The rest of the minutes (up to 10 per game) will need to come from Stocks.

2. Kelly and Elias need to log approximately 30 minutes per game each, with the remainder of the minutes coming from Sam (approximately 20).

3. Time at the 3 should be split about equally between Hart and Barham, depending on match-up.

4. When reserves are in the game, limit it to one reserve and 4 starters in order to maintain offensive flow and spacing, as well as defensive cohesiveness. These things tend to break down when multiple reserves are in the game at the same time. This is NOT a diss on our reserves, I love those guys, we just need to ride the horses who got us here.

That's 8 guys.........ride them all the way to Atlanta. Karno and Draino's time will come, they're just not ready for the bright lights this year.

Go ZAGS

Comment

• Reborn
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by TacomaZAG View Post
                          IMHO, for us to go deep in March (and maybe April), the following minutes/player combinations are imperative:

1. KP and GBJ need to log 35+ minutes per game each. The rest of the minutes (up to 10 per game) will need to come from Stocks.

2. Kelly and Elias need to log approximately 30 minutes per game each, with the remainder of the minutes coming from Sam (approximately 20).

3. Time at the 3 should be split about equally between Hart and Barham, depending on match-up.

4. When reserves are in the game, limit it to one reserve and 4 starters in order to maintain offensive flow and spacing, as well as defensive cohesiveness. These things tend to break down when multiple reserves are in the game at the same time. This is NOT a diss on our reserves, I love those guys, we just need to ride the horses who got us here.

That's 8 guys.........ride them all the way to Atlanta. Karno and Draino's time will come, they're just not ready for the bright lights this year.

Go ZAGS
                          Very good post. A ten in my book. I totally concur.

Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Gam agin

Check the box score. Pretty close to yours today. Stocks played only nine.

QUOTE=TacomaZAG;873213]IMHO, for us to go deep in March (and maybe April), the following minutes/player combinations are imperative:

Go ZAGS[/QUOTE]

Comment

• bartruff1
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2010

Everyone will get another look next week (score permitting)...the schedule sets up perfectly..

Comment

Working...
                              X