• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagMania
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Feb 2007

Raivio

Let me start out by saying that I've loved his game since he came to GU. now..
    If we make the tournament I do not want to see him go through the almost the whole first half without taking a shot, ala last nights Santa Clara game. Earlier in the year I thought he was forcing too many shots, but last night he showed tremendous heart and almost willed us back into the game.

If we make the tournament I want to see the offense run through his hands. I don't care if Corey Brewer or Afflalo is trying to lock him down, I want to see him shooting from all over the court, make them guard him from NBA range and drive it inside with that street style bounce (I won't mind a couple palmings) and get to the free throw line. Pargo is already a good player and will be a great one when all is said and done, but I'd rather have DRavs versatility and experience at the end of the shot clock.

I want to see us live and die with our senior leader DR, who has noticeably put so much effort and work on his game over the past year. Like the last 10 minutes of last nights game, I want to see him go out on the biggest stage, March Madness, and go out fighting.

Edit to add: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oID=1212197680
    - I hope that video stays on the web forever.
  • scrooner
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Things changed for the better last night when he started getting the ball in his hands. Let him drive & get fouled all night.

Comment

• ZagMania
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Feb 2007

Early in the game he was getting touches, but he was just passing up off the pick and roll, as it was obvious are plan was it make their bigs guard ours away from the basket. However, our Mallon wasn't hitting the outside shot too well.

Also, DRav hasn't been doing too good getting open off the ball, so lets just put the rock in his hands and let him try and create and get to the free throw line like you said scrooner.

Comment

• UberZagFan
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

If GU is gonna go down, then it will do so with the ball in Raivio's hands.

DRav showed great heart and leadership in the second half and did almost pull off a comeback on his own. It would have been nice to see the same heart and leadership before the 3:00 minute mark in the first half (the first point in the game where he drove to the hoop).
        If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Thanks Zagmania

...for articulating what I'm thinking and feeling.
          It was a joy to watch DRav play the 2nd half of last night's game. If opposing teams are gonna belly-up on ya and take away your sweet outside stroke, go hard to the hoop DRav and know GUNation is behind you all the way!
          Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• ZagMania
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2007

I watched the postgame interviews from the Santa Clara game and when asked about his effort in the second half he said something like, "I was a little lethargic and passive in the first half, and I flipped a switch in the second half and just said screw it, and went to work"

Love that quote, I hope we learn something from that second half and Raivio takes on an even larger role in the offense, especially driving and getting to the FT line. When they doubled off the pick and roll, he was doing a great job splitting it and either getting fouled or get an open lane.

Also, when we create turnovers off the press, its sends the opponents defense into a frenzy and they won't be able to key on DRav so much.

Comment

• former1dog
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Just thought I'd weigh in with a concurrent opinion. DRAV has been having a great year and no where was that more evident than the 2nd half of Monday's game, where he nearly pulled an AMMO and brought us back in the 2nd half.

He has become a true senior leader for this team and leads by example.

Comment

• ZagMania
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mee755
                Hey...just wondering if that postgame interview is out there on the web somewhere. We miss all that stuff living out here in the middle of the country.
                I live on the complete other side of the country.. here is the link:

About half way down the page in the middle there is a space titled Gonzaga Video, Raivio's post game interview is the one that says "Derek Raivio: 'It's a new day tomorrow'". They also had postgame interviews with Few and Mallon after the loss as well as other videos like highlights and commentary.

Comment

• youreachiteach
                  Bulldog Fan
                  • Feb 2007

Leader???

If Raivio's our leader this season, then you can understand our record. You guys love his quote, " turned on the switch and ..." well how about saying " It doesnt matter how well I played in the 2nd half, WE LOST!!" Bottom line WE LOST!

We only look at offense, but his D has hurt us the last 3 years. However I dont blame him, he plays 39mins a game, its hard to put so much effort on both sides of the ball. Coach Few should realize this. Now the Santa Clara's score whenever they want on us.

Comment

• Frazzle
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Feb 2007

Drav

I tend to agree that we should be running more things through DRAV. He is a great shooter. And, like it or not, he and Mallon are the leaders of the team. To this end, the team needs to get better at setting picks for DRAV. He moves well without the ball and works hard to get open.

However, on nights when teams focus on DRAV (see Duke), the rest of the Zags need to make it a point to help him get the ball often, and not as a bailout for when Pargo picks up his dribble. Not being critical of Pargo because I think he is the best player on the team. Having said that, however, the Zags really need a new play at the end of the half other than having Pargo wait till 6 ticks left on the clock and try the old isolation play. Probably a called-play by the staff, but it still bothers me.

Comment

• former1dog
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by You Reach I Teach View Post
                      If Raivio's our leader this season, then you can understand our record. You guys love his quote, " turned on the switch and ..." well how about saying " It doesnt matter how well I played in the 2nd half, WE LOST!!" Bottom line WE LOST!

We only look at offense, but his D has hurt us the last 3 years. However I dont blame him, he plays 39mins a game, its hard to put so much effort on both sides of the ball. Coach Few should realize this. Now the Santa Clara's score whenever they want on us.

Sorry to say, but I disagree on several points.

DRAV, although not known for his defense, has played quite well on the defensive end of the court this year. In particular for the SCU game, we had a horrible defensive effort defending the 3's. But, if looked at a little closer most of those 3's were hit from the wings. Derek plays at the point of our zone and usual is at or near the point of the key when playing man to man. Derek was definitely not the one late in rotating to the open 3 pt. shooter.

In addition, Derek had 4 steals in the SCU game. You'll find, with a little research, that he is consistly amongst the team leaders in steals not only this year but throughout his career.

Comment

• VinnyZag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Catch and Shoot

That's what Raivio does best. He's been a great player this year - nobody has gotten more out of his abilities than Raivio - but he shouldn't be asked to do more than he can. As a matter of fact, his WORST games have been when he tries to do too much - force shots, etc.
                        It's a testament to his grit and work ethic that he scores as much as he does at his size and with his somewhat limited athletic gifts (at least compared to some of the guys against whom he's competing). He can be taken out of games - we've all seen it; we even saw it last year with Morrison, who obviously is a vastly superior talent - but that necessarily opens up opportunities for other players.
                        The Zags need not to rely on him too much. I say put the ball in Pargo's hands and keep bringing Raivio off screens.

Comment

• Zag79
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

his D has hurt us the last 3 years
                          typical moronic post.we play zone, and rarely is it drav or one mans fault for that matter. the wing is where we get beat most and thats not his s###. but other than that good post...

Comment

Working...
                          X