PDA

View Full Version : USD win looks even better because.......

OregonZag5
02-07-2013, 07:12 AM
of Kansas loss and Creighton loss. I know many members were upset about the play at USD. But look at Kansas and Creighton- they got beat and beat bad- as has been said, every team has a bad game or two but the very good teams win those games. I think this Zag team is very good.

cjm720
02-07-2013, 07:29 AM
And Florida got blown out at Arkansas on Tuesday.

That's the beauty of sports, anything can happen. Finger pointing is futile because the basketball gods are in control (sometimes)!

HenneZag
02-07-2013, 07:33 AM
I believe Johnny Dee for SD will be out vs. BYU tonight due to ankle injury. Sucks without him, they have no chance at competing with BYU.

rijman
02-07-2013, 08:16 AM
of Kansas loss and Creighton loss. I know many members were upset about the play at USD. But look at Kansas and Creighton- they got beat and beat bad- as has been said, every team has a bad game or two but the very good teams win those games. I think this Zag team is very good.
The USD win looks even better now, I was thinking the same thing. Top teams are getting beat by unranked teams. The Kansas loss to TCU and Florida loss to AK are hard to believe, but it happens. The best team doesn't always win. The Zags have to maintain focus and bring their "A" game every night or they could get beat by any team in the WCC, especially on the road.

coolhandzag
02-07-2013, 08:29 AM
This is why the Zags need to focus on the next game and the next game only.

Any team can lose any game without focus and determination. Take the second half of the WCC season one game at a time and the rest will sort itself. This team is good, but can become lackadaisical. Please see the second half against SMC for illustration.

There is a great opportunity for the ball club and the University. The Zags are more than capable of winning out, and with patience and toughness I believe they can.

Step on Pepperdine's throat.

JPtheBeasta
02-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Looking at the AP polls... IF (a big if) we win out and Duke slips up (a real possibility, IMO), we could be in the top 4 at the end of the year. A win at Butler would have been amazing for seeding purposes. There a bunch of teams in the top 10 that would probably jump over us if they win out in conference and win their higher profile leagues. A one seed seems like a long shot, but a two seed is definitely doable, especially if we avoid letdown games like SD could have been.

cjm720
02-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Looking at the AP polls... IF (a big if) we win out and Duke slips up (a real possibility, IMO), we could be in the top 4 at the end of the year. A win at Butler would have been amazing for seeding purposes. There a bunch of teams in the top 10 that would probably jump over us if they win out in conference and win their higher profile leagues. A one seed seems like a long shot, but a two seed is definitely doable, especially if we avoid letdown games like SD could have been.

That's a problem with the polls. Not that I wouldn't like the effect it would have on our program, but it is ridiculous to think that because we don't lose to some crappy WCC teams that we should improve in rankings against teams that get beat up by far superior conferences/teams. Okay with Florida and Kansas losing, my example holds less weight. But look at Ohio State - they lose in OT to Michichigan and will drop a couple spots. We don't lose to crappy teams and we'll likely move up a spot. There's a disconnect...I do suppose the committee gets it, though.

FlyZag
02-07-2013, 12:34 PM
That's a problem with the polls. Not that I wouldn't like the effect it would have on our program, but it is ridiculous to think that because we don't lose to some crappy WCC teams that we should improve in rankings against teams that get beat up by far superior conferences/teams. Okay with Florida and Kansas losing, my example holds less weight. But look at Ohio State - they lose in OT to Michichigan and will drop a couple spots. We don't lose to crappy teams and we'll likely move up a spot. There's a disconnect...I do suppose the committee gets it, though.

That's why you ignore the polls and instead use tools such as the Pomeroy rating. This is a much more accurate IMO. Because HOW the game is won or lost is more important than just winning or losing. Losing on a steal, crazy floater with .01 seconds remaining is different than losing by 45. It matters. Lots of good info on tempo free statistics out there... I wish some pollsters would read-up.

UberZagFan
02-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Agree with the point in general but not all of the examples are exactly comparable.

Creighton (RPI 34) lost on the road to Indiana St (RPI 47).
Florida (RPI 6) lost on the road to Ark (RPI 77).
GU (RPI 12) squeaked out a win on the road at USD (RPI 158).
Kansas (RPI 8) lost on the road to TCU (RPI 203).

If GU would have lost, the most comparable would be the KU upset. But the first two really aren't that comparable.

willandi
02-07-2013, 08:19 PM
They beat BYU!

Malastein
02-07-2013, 08:36 PM
I believe Johnny Dee for SD will be out vs. BYU tonight due to ankle injury. Sucks without him, they have no chance at competing with BYU.

I didn't like dee's game that much. Their little point is a blur and a joy to watch.

Reborn
02-07-2013, 08:52 PM
I didn't like dee's game that much. Their little point is a blur and a joy to watch.

Dee get's 21 against GU, most in second half. He get's 18 vs BYU, most in second half. I like his game ALOT. And Billy has them playing real well right now. Problem with BYU really can not play well on the road. Not sure why?
Looking at the statistics, I think Carlino is a real problem for them.