Why aren't we making a push for Aaron Gordon?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thespywhozaggedme
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

Why aren't we making a push for Aaron Gordon?

#2 ranked pf in the country. He's uncommitted and his top teams are Arizona, Kentucky, Oregon and Washington. Does Few even try for these type of recruits?

Stay up to date with all the college basketball recruiting news and more at 247Sports.com
  • GoZags
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    #2 ranked pf in the country. He's uncommitted and his top teams are Arizona, Kentucky, Oregon and Washington. Does Few even try for these type of recruits?

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...=1&nid=4461425
    Mark Few and his staff evaluates "these types of recruits" as well as a host of others. It would be dependent upon the evaluation (how the PSA fits it with what Gonzaga does -- the PSA's interest in a program like Gonzaga, etc) that would key whether or not they "try".
    sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
      Banned
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
      Mark Few and his staff evaluates "these types of recruits" as well as a host of others.
      That's good to know. Normally the school of thought is that these guys are "out of our league" but this year, with our really high national ranking, our dire need of bigs and Gordons top choices all being in our neck of the woods, save Kentucky, i.e Zona, UDub and Oregon, it would seem like the stars would be aligned for us to nab him. Kentucky just landed the top two center prospects in the country, Dakari Johnson and Marcus Lee, so that probabaly takes them outta the equation. We're the #6 team in the country, let's recruit like it and take advantage of that. Have we offered him? Thanks

Comment

• GoZags
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
        That's good to know. Normally the school of thought is that these guys are "out of our league" but this year, with our really high national ranking, our dire need of bigs and Gordons top choices all being in our neck of the woods, save Kentucky, i.e Zona, UDub and Oregon, it would seem like the stars would be aligned for us to nab him. Kentucky just landed the top two center prospects in the country, Dakari Johnson and Marcus Lee, so that probabaly takes them outta the equation. We're the #6 team in the country, let's recruit like it and take advantage of that. Have we offered him? Thanks
        I don't know the answer to that question, Spy.

There are those who have occasional "access" to Coach Few and other members of the staff -- but the reality is -- these types of questions never get asked. In addition -- there are fan sites (and recruiting sites) that proactively approach PSA's and ask them those types of questions. GUBoards isn't one of those sites. If there is something in the public domain -- then odds are the news will make this board. If something gets leaked -- or if someone hears something then odds are it'll make this board.

But it's a conscious decision by this Board's Administrators and Mods to not "pry". If the staff wants something public -- it'll be made public.
        sigpic
        “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
        ——-
        List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
        Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

wiggins

im wondering if andrew wiggins was a target at some point, given our canadian connection? now, he is a transformative recruit.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
            Banned
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
            I don't know the answer to that question, Spy.

There are those who have occasional "access" to Coach Few and other members of the staff -- but the reality is -- these types of questions never get asked. In addition -- there are fan sites (and recruiting sites) that proactively approach PSA's and ask them those types of questions. GUBoards isn't one of those sites. If there is something in the public domain -- then odds are the news will make this board. If something gets leaked -- or if someone hears something then odds are it'll make this board.

But it's a conscious decision by this Board's Administrators and Mods to not "pry". If the staff wants something public -- it'll be made public.
            Fair enough. Thanks for the response.

Comment

• deathchina
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
              im wondering if andrew wiggins was a target at some point, given our canadian connection? now, he is a transformative recruit.

I think this board would crash if Wiggins came to GU. Never going to happen but WOW that would be amazing. His highlights are unbelievable, and he is supposedly a good kid that is obviously incredibly serious about his game.

Andrew Wiggins destroying competition throughout various AAU and High School games!

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Andrew Wiggins' AAU coach has commented that he is surprised that more schools actually aren't seriously recruiting him. I guess opposing coaches just assume he's going to Florida State or Kentucky, so why even bother? Perhaps Andrew is more open than people might think?

I have no idea why GU never took a swing at Aaron Gordon, but it is probably too late to get in on the action.

What I do know is that they are seriously involved with two guys who are likely to be 2014 McDonald's AA's in Josh Perkins and Malik Pope. According to everything I've heard, both will visit GU. The #6 ranking, a high tournament seeding and a deep run would really help GU land these two guys. Most of all, the staff needs to keep at it and never give up until they are officially dropped by the kids. I know Duke and Kansas are involved with Perkins and just about everyone is involved with Pope (who is Donny's recruit), but these two guys, by all indications, aren't dead set on attending a specific type of school. I believe Perkins (who is from Colorado) actually knows Matt Bouldin. Every little bit helps.

Comment

• ZagaZags
                  Banned
                  • May 2010

Recruit

There is a recruit coming for a visit this month. But i don't remember who it is.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagaZags View Post
                    There is a recruit coming for a visit this month. But i don't remember who it is.
                    For 2013? Very interesting. Do tell.

Comment

• bartruff1
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2010

Recruiting is like dating with a limited budget and a limited amount of time. I would like a date with Katherine Web, but I know I would be wasting my time, she appears to be more interested in A. J.

I suspect the staff focuses players where we have a good chance of success. I think they call it profiling.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                        Recruiting is like dating with a limited budget and a limited amount of time. I would like a date with Katherine Web, but I know I would be wasting my time, she appears to be more interested in A. J.

I suspect the staff focuses players where we have a good chance of success. I think they call it profiling.
                        We're the # 6 team in the nation and arguably the top program in the entire West Coast. We should start acting and recruiting like it. For crying out loud Manhattan signed a 5 * and UTEP and USF just signed 4* recruits. They can't say yes or no if you don't ask.

Stay up to date with all the college basketball recruiting news and more at 247Sports.com

Comment

• bartruff1
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2010

I don't think we are even on the radar of many the top 100 much less the top ten. It is a simple matter to gage interest and act accordingly.

Comment

• gamagin
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

this for the vocal minority . .

Originally posted by ZagaZags View Post
                            Is he bigger than a bread box ??
                            Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                            Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                            Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• bartruff1
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2010

I see what you have done there...

Originally posted by gamagin View Post
                              Is he bigger than a bread box ??
                              Now, what's my line !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X