PDA

View Full Version : Why San Diego win is important

OregonZag5
02-04-2013, 08:16 AM
It seems to me that in the past we have had problems with a lower tier WCC team( USF comes to mind) and we have lost. We could have easily lost to USD but we did not- this team just seems different to me and believes it can win and does what is necessary to win. Maybe I am wrong but we will see.

teacher56
02-04-2013, 08:25 AM
It seems to me that in the past we have had problems with a lower tier WCC team( USF comes to mind) and we have lost. We could have easily lost to USD but we did not- this team just seems different to me and believes it can win and does what is necessary to win. Maybe I am wrong but we will see.

We have stayed competitive, not always making the right decisions, but staying in the games mentally most of the time.
I think this team WANTS to win, and it shows.
They show poise and quiet confidence when things are'nt going well.
How far they go is important but to me its boils down to playing competitive and if we continue doing that we will be fine.

jpwils
02-04-2013, 08:46 AM
USF in the past was an extremely tuff out @ home for us- we got their best game of the year.

SD is kinda like that now and we were lucky to win with our B- game there.

I'm not sure but feel like Stockton is getting an awful lot of run for a top 10 team.

I loved his father and David's play two years ago...but feel he hurts us more than helps us.

Problem is nobody is rising up to fill in , really.

Dranginis was supposed to be the answer but has not stepped up.

Bt times Bell has been not all there....same with Pangos.
Now Bell and Pangos are starting to show flashes of what they are really capable of.

Hopefully BOTH Bell and Pangos can step up along with ALL of our "3's"- we are going to need them in he coming games to defend SMC's Holt and Delly by committee.

Play in tourney games can be much more physical so we will need GLE and Hart to play physical and lead by example before the season is over.

Barham has done some nice things but needs to do even more when he is in games to rebound, defend, and continue to score!

KO has got to continue his scoring and needs to rebound even more now.

This is the phase of the season that calls for a gut check and where real leaders emerge! Go Zags!

We ned to go to SMC and treat it like an NCAA tourney game.

Pretend we are playing Mich St infirst round of tourney and hit it hard!

HenneZag
02-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Next week we go on the toughest road trip in conference play. This road trip I believe is for the crown. We play SM on valentines day then have to take on SF on sat. We lost both of these games last year. SM only being 1 game behind, and BYU quietly waiting to make a run as well. If we win both of those games we are setting ourselves up very nice for the crown, but it is also possible we drop 2. I am very eager and nervous to see how the fellas respond on this historically tough road trip.

Of course it would also be nice to get some help from some other teams, but it hasn't been the case so far this season. 3 team race. SM has to take on SC 2x still and BYU @ home, those teams provide the best chance to pull out a win.

We need to play complete games to beat SF, SM, BYU on the road or we are in trouble. We haven't closed out 2nd halfs against tough teams...we need to or I smell 2-3 losses coming. No lapses!!

DixieZag
02-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Analysis above is good.

The point about the late season being the time that our leaders step up is certainly true. The core group - Pangos, Bell, Harris and Olynick are going to be the ones that determine how far we go.

I don't worry about Pangos.

Bell seems to be coming on strong.

Harris is REALLY coming on strong.

Kelly needs to avoid silly fouls and stay focused - the "focus" is there when needed, the "silly" fouls yet to be determined.

I see all the above happening. I don't read any more into the close game at USD than I do the 45 pt whooping of LMU.

Whether it is pretty or not, if we keep winning we'll be in the position we need.

Zagsker
02-04-2013, 09:32 AM

Outside of SMC and BYU...SD was the only other road trip that I had given a thought to. We should CRUSH USF

webspinnre
02-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Biggest road trip of the year coming up. Sweep it, and we're in great shape, since BYU already has two losses.

UberZagFan
02-04-2013, 10:15 AM
It's important because a loss would have meant that GU could kiss their chance of a 2 seed (and possibly a 3 seed) goodbye.

CDC84
02-04-2013, 10:35 AM
It seems to me that in the past we have had problems with a lower tier WCC team( USF comes to mind) and we have lost.

Gonzaga has lost 3 straight years at USF.

I agree with people in this thread that a sweep of next week's Bay Area trip will likely clinch the league title. It'll put every team at least two games behind the Zags with four games remaining:

Santa Clara
USD
at BYU
Portland

Nothing is a given, but it's just hard to imagine GU losing to any WCC team at home. A Bay Area sweep next week allows GU the "freedom" to lose the game at BYU and yet still win the league outright. That being said, I would like to see Gonzaga sweep the league for NCAA seeding purposes.

combatcorpsmangulaw
02-04-2013, 11:33 AM
If we beat these teams at their homes, we'll have a great shot at being very high seeds in the NCAA.

It's safe to say that SMC and BYC are gunning for the Zags after being beaten in the Kennel.

The question is which Zags team will show up?

rijman
02-04-2013, 11:44 AM
I think the USD game will serve as a reminder and motivator for the Zags, they can't take a game off against any team or they could be beaten. They have to show up and play every game at their highest level because if they have an off night against a team playing one of their best games of the season, the Zags could lose. So I think the close win at USD was a wake up call, they have to bring it each and every game no matter the opponent.

007Zag
02-04-2013, 12:02 PM
I'm already having fits of butterflies about the Bay Area trip next week. Gonna be tough. I really have no idea if I should expect two wins, two losses, or a split (in which case I also have no inkling of which one would be the L). We're gonna have to bring our A-game; no question we can get through unscathed, but that's why you play the games.

john montana
02-04-2013, 12:05 PM
SMC will nip us at their place. Bennett's utterly horrible scheduling leaves them with no choice, it is a must win if they want to play in the tourney. You can't simply schedule a 20 win season and play in the NCAA tournament...they need a resume win and have had this game flagged since they chose that god awful schedule prior to the year starting. Plus...they are a good team, with a great player, at home in a tiny gym. It will be rocking.

gamagin
02-04-2013, 12:54 PM
sealed our fate going forward. In a positive way.

We sweep. No lesson like that one. Perfect timing. Perfect time to realize what can happen short of full focus and attention. And to avoid the pitfalls. And make your own luck.

Reset the goal to play like champions and be champions. From here on out.

Remember San Diego.

Robzagnut
02-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Remember San Diego.

Yup, the new rallying cry for the nation, the state of Texas and GU.

Remember The Toreros!

surfmonkey89
02-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Is that by playing the toughest teams on the road toward the end of our conference schedule, we should be very sharp for the WCC and NCAA tourneys.

Also glad we didn't add that last game against Our Lady of Perpetual Yard Sales at the end.

(Extra credit for you old GU grads if you know what Our Lady of Perpetual Yard Sales is actually referring to)

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-04-2013, 03:34 PM
SMC will nip us at their place. Bennett's utterly horrible scheduling leaves them with no choice, it is a must win if they want to play in the tourney. You can't simply schedule a 20 win season and play in the NCAA tournament...they need a resume win and have had this game flagged since they chose that god awful schedule prior to the year starting. Plus...they are a good team, with a great player, at home in a tiny gym. It will be rocking.

SMC also has a Bracketbuster game.

bartruff1
02-04-2013, 03:35 PM
I'm already having fits of butterflies about the Bay Area trip next week. Gonna be tough. I really have no idea if I should expect two wins, two losses, or a split (in which case I also have no inkling of which one would be the L). We're gonna have to bring our A-game; no question we can get through unscathed, but that's why you play the games.

We have all next week at home to practice and prepare...

UberZagFan
02-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Yup, the new rallying cry for the nation, the state of Texas and GU.

Remember The Toreros!

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/9779/toreromotioning.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/toreromotioning.jpg/)

john montana
02-04-2013, 04:23 PM
SMC also has a Bracketbuster game.

They did luck into an overrated creighton team at home in the bracket buster. I think smc is a very good team, I am just appalled at Bennett's scheduling.

rawkmandale
02-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Analysis above is good.

The point about the late season being the time that our leaders step up is certainly true. The core group - Pangos, Bell, Harris and Olynick are going to be the ones that determine how far we go.

I don't worry about Pangos.

Bell seems to be coming on strong.

Harris is REALLY coming on strong.

Kelly needs to avoid silly fouls and stay focused - the "focus" is there when needed, the "silly" fouls yet to be determined.

I see all the above happening. I don't read any more into the close game at USD than I do the 45 pt whooping of LMU.

Whether it is pretty or not, if we keep winning we'll be in the position we need.

I generally agree with this, but am a bit concerned with Pangos (handling the ball well, but his scoring has been up and down recently). Bell has been looking great, as has Harris. Yep, Kelly needs to maintain focus. I expect Mike Hart to be solid, and think he will see significant minutes in the WCC and NCAA Tournaments. To me the X factor is going to be Sam Dower. He seems to have really come alive in recent games, and has the talent to be a huge factor. I anticipate good play from Stockton, so there you have the seven Zags that we will be leaning on in the "big ones" for the rest of this season. It would be great if Dower can deliver a couple of Ws - I think he can and will.

Zagger
02-04-2013, 05:08 PM
I don't worry much about Stockton - at least within WCC play. He's getting better all the time and really knows how to assist teammates. Where I think we could use some solid, dependable help is with GLE, PK and Draino. If they can play well when they're in it'll be VERY hard for any WCC team to beat GU.

NotoriousZ
02-04-2013, 06:51 PM
I think the USD win sealed our fate going forward. In a positive way.

We sweep. No lesson like that one. Perfect timing. Perfect time to realize what can happen short of full focus and attention. And to avoid the pitfalls. And make your own luck.

Remember San Diego.

Our guys took some horrible shots and let San Diego hang around long enough to almost give us our first WCC loss. But even the great teams have a stinkeroo every ten games or so. At the end of the day it's still a road win to a conference rival that gave us their best shot.

Learning experience, no injuries, and the W. I'll take that.

2wiceright
02-04-2013, 11:36 PM
sealed our fate going forward. In a positive way.

Remember San Diego.

Got to agree with Gamagins assessment, 100%!!!

ZagaZags
02-05-2013, 12:24 AM
last season Saint Mary's was in 1st place in the WCC. They went to San Diego and lost. I think USD will be a 3rd or 4th place team next year in the WCC. If USD had the fan support for every game it would add a few more wins.

McZag
02-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Great post. We cannot and will not play our best every night. There will be more down nights like we saw at USD - either in the remaining league games or in Vegas.

The key differentiator I am seeing with this team is that they recognize when their energy is low. They have a brutal honesty about the quality of their play and somebody from the lowest 5 spots makes a play- or two. The top 5 guys cannot get it done by themselves on the road. They need leadership from the bench that comes in at key minutes and can carry the squad for a possession or two. Just that bit of a lift is the difference between an effective cross environment team and a merely solid team that can and should win most of their games.

The Elite class squads have a calming personality that is unique. They have a confident attitude that they are, in all cases, going to win the game collectively.

Solid teams on the other hand just give the ball to their best players and live or die with them.

Elite teams take team responsibility to contribute, execute and win.

I am seeing that start to seap into this group ever since the Butler loss. Let's see if it grows...

LongIslandZagFan
02-05-2013, 06:54 AM
Stop... No positivity after wins. Only kvetching.

sheps001
02-05-2013, 08:22 AM
You might want to define kvetching for many of the crowd. This is a very NY term which I do understand. I agree this was a good win inspite of what many said. I watched the replay sound off and USD played out of their minds. This is the type of energy we need for the NCAA's (All games).

LongIslandZagFan
02-05-2013, 08:29 AM
You might want to define kvetching for many of the crowd. This is a very NY term which I do understand. I agree this was a good win inspite of what many said. I watched the replay sound off and USD played out of their minds. This is the type of energy we need for the NCAA's (All games).

Whilst my usage should make it evident, I suppose a definition is in order...

kvetch
intr.v. kvetched, kvetch·ing, kvetch·es
To complain persistently and whiningly.
n.
1. A chronic, whining complainer.
2. A nagging complaint: "a rambling kvetch against the system" (Leonard Ross).

jazzdelmar
02-05-2013, 08:30 AM

ok, mr. new yorker, its the opposite of "kvelling from the team" which many posters do here.

next year we have a real new york player at last, nunez, too kvell from.

to be extraordinarily proud : rejoice

sheps001
02-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Jazzdelmar. I should have read you message fully. Thanks for the definition. Sorry for my error. Go Zags. I wish they would beat Illinois more often. Been to an Illinois loss and a Notre Dame loss (I'm in Chicago). Enough.

matty1090
02-05-2013, 12:28 PM
I don't mean to be a troll here, but barely squeaking by on a mediocre, 12-12 wcc team shows me less that they have what it takes to win and more that theyre not playing to their potential. It's been said before, but few plays to his level of competition. I'm just looking at the big picture here in terms of March, remember a top ten ranking means nothing come tourney time. Hate to say it, but if we're not peaking at the end of the season, we will see another second round exit. I hope I'm wrong.

LongIslandZagFan
02-05-2013, 12:40 PM
I don't mean to be a troll here, but barely squeaking by on a mediocre, 12-12 wcc team shows me less that they have what it takes to win and more that theyre not playing to their potential. It's been said before, but few plays to his level of competition. I'm just looking at the big picture here in terms of March, remember a top ten ranking means nothing come tourney time. Hate to say it, but if we're not peaking at the end of the season, we will see another second round exit. I hope I'm wrong.

Not for nothing... Last I checked Mark hasn't put up a single stat on the floor.

The big picture is, they had an off night, had at least one official who had it in for them and yet battled through and pulled off the win.

Robzagnut
02-05-2013, 01:35 PM
SD is the perfect .500 ball club.

They don't have the talent to beat GU, BYU, SMC and SCU, but they are good enough and have good coaching to beat Pepperdine, Portland, LMU and SF. They might sneak in and beat one of the upper four, or might slip up and lose to one of the bottom four, but I fully expect them to finish 8-8.