PDA

View Full Version : Well, we won...

caduceus
02-02-2013, 10:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/I7BLaui.gif

"Great" effort.

GZag
02-02-2013, 10:16 PM
At least they got it inbounds at the end :)

Oh my giddy heart!

ZagLawGrad
02-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Great post, 'cause it was not the best effort by our Bulldogs.

But, I'll take the win! :clap:

U Zig, I Zag
02-02-2013, 10:17 PM
More fun than watching us win by 45. I think. ;)

At this point, glad we pulled it out. I am hoping that this was our 'close' one on the road in WCC play. SMC and BYU are going to be awfully, awfully tough places to play.

DixieZag
02-02-2013, 10:20 PM
It was ugly.

But, maybe we just won our annual "bonehead loss" for the year which is good - normally our team takes a WCC road game "off" and loses one that they should not, hope this was close enough.

Virginia Zags Fan
02-02-2013, 10:20 PM
I think the guys are tired. Physically and emotionally. They have had some big games and league play takes it out of you. This will be a wakeup. I hope. A lack of effort on both ends of the floor by a lot of folks.

USD played harder, but glad we got the win.

GZag
02-02-2013, 10:21 PM

At this point, glad we pulled it out. I am hoping that this was our 'close' one on the road in WCC play. SMC and BYU are going to be awfully, awfully tough places to play.

Yeah, but...

CDC84
02-02-2013, 10:22 PM
I have come to expect bad perimeter defense from the Zags, but allowing an undersized USD team to collect 13 offensive boards and outrebound you by 6 overall is just inexcusable. The Zags were just so lazy on the glass tonight. They didn't put a body on anyone.

ZagLawGrad
It was ugly.

But, maybe we just won our annual "bonehead loss" for the year which is good - normally our team takes a WCC road game "off" and loses one that they should not, hope this was close enough.

:agreed:

No doubt that SMC and BYU gonna be tough games to win on their turf

krozman
We were horribly out rebounded omg.

jpn17
02-02-2013, 10:23 PM

Fortunately against good teams, Gonzaga has played up to the level of their competition on the road this season.

Tough game, definitely not one of Gonzaga's better efforts, but they got the road W and that's all that matters come tournament selection time. Time to look forward to the next one.

thespywhozaggedme
02-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Glad we got that outta our system. Phew.

U Zig, I Zag
02-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Fortunately against good teams, Gonzaga has played up to the level of their competition on the road this season.

Tough game, definitely not one of Gonzaga's better efforts, but they got the road W and that's all that matters come tournament selection time. Time to look forward to the next one.

On this road trip, the average margin of victory was 23.5* points! Nothing to be ashamed about.

* sample size of 2 games.

bballbeachbum
02-02-2013, 10:25 PM
it's good to win when you don't play your best, old cliche', but it's true too

it's nice to win a close game on the road when the opponent played great and you did not

that dribble penetration thing put the pressure on everything, the D glass included

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-02-2013, 10:25 PM
I have come to expect bad perimeter defense from the Zags, but allowing an undersized USD team to collect 13 offensive boards and outrebound you by 6 overall is just inexcusable. The Zags were just so lazy on the glass tonight. They didn't put a body on anyone.

That was awful. If our guys had just blocked out and grabbed the ball with two hands on the boards, that game might have been a double digit win for our kids.

caduceus
02-02-2013, 10:28 PM
I'd probably be furious if we had lost to this very mediocre team, but overall this outcome is good, in more ways than just a win. Anybody who's followed the team over the years knows what these WCC games are like. Hopefully a learning experience so we don't lay an egg in SF or elsewhere.

ZagLawGrad
02-02-2013, 10:28 PM
That was awful. If our guys had just blocked out and grabbed the ball with two hands on the boards, that game might have been a double digit win for our kids.

Roger!

Birddog
02-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Excuse me, somebody is at the door.
http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae262/HistoryTwistOfLime/BagofPoopFire.jpg

willandi
02-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Would you rather be the Zags, or UW? Both won two games this weekend!

ZagLawGrad
02-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Birddog---are you talking about Gray's Anatomy at the front door??? ;)

caduceus
02-02-2013, 10:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/J9YXt7A.gif

Section 116
02-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Three top ten teams lost today and none of them were named Gonzaga!

ZagLawGrad
02-02-2013, 10:41 PM

You summed up nicely everything that matters tonight! :cheers:

BULLDOG#1
02-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Gary bell jr saved the day with his end of game d on dee. Without his effort the zags would have lost.

I get it that few wants to give critical minutes to dranginis, but he shouldn't if it costs a win...

MDABE80
02-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Listless and uninspired. Seemed many took the game off. Now I see why nothing gets done in S Cal.........too much sun...makes ya braindead.
Some of the kids tried pretty hard though. Just not enough. Somehow this win iss a bit hollow and, for me, scary. I hope they don't do this again. Not like us to relax in a game like this. I see why Few was frustrated the point he took a T.

San Diego just isn't that good. BUT to lose the boards and as CDC pointed out have a small guard take the O boards away is something i hope not to see again. Ever!

zagzilla
02-02-2013, 10:45 PM
1st team in the nation to 21 wins!

ZZ

gamagin
02-02-2013, 10:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/I7BLaui.gif

"Great" effort.

& summary. thanks

gozagswoohoo
02-02-2013, 10:49 PM
It was ugly.

But, maybe we just won our annual "bonehead loss" for the year

That was my thought exactly.

DixieZag
02-02-2013, 10:51 PM
I am not reading too much into this game - we played lazy and were lucky to get the win. It is a good lesson without giving up a loss.

A lot of good teams lost today - ESPN already calling it "Upset Saturday" - glad it doesn't apply to us, not really anyway.

gonwick
02-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Glad we got the win, and glad we are at 21 wins, but how many people in the top ten were playing a bottom tier wcc team? I'm not sure there is much good to take away other than that, as mentioned, hopefully this is the token terrible annual effort and this year they still got a win.

caduceus
02-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Glad we got the win, and glad we are at 21 wins, but how many people in the top ten were playing a bottom tier wcc team? I'm not sure there is much good to take away other than that, as mentioned, hopefully this is the token terrible annual effort and this year they still got a win.

These teams were playing their "win-o-matic" games at home in November when we were playing a tough schedule.

gonwick
02-02-2013, 11:01 PM
And they were winning them. I just can't convince myself to feel better about this game because ranked teams lost to much better teams this weekend than SD.

zagray
02-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Some days you're better than others, this team has no fear in close games. It was a good win over a spirited opponent, in the end the Zags gamed up. Gary Bell said enough is enough and finished with in your shirt defense on Dee, game over!

MDABE80
02-02-2013, 11:04 PM
We every team lays a big brown one once in a while. It's unavoidable. Maybe the kids thought they had a pushover on their hands. I suspect it won't happen again. Few looked shellshocked. He didn't look like he likes "shellshocked". We won an empty one. Be of good cheer though.....we could have lost. This would be much much worse if we had flagged one.

teacher56
02-02-2013, 11:14 PM
QUOTE=U Zig, I Zag;864674]More fun than watching us win by 45. I think. ;)

At this point, glad we pulled it out. I am hoping that this was our 'close' one on the road in WCC play. SMC and BYU are going to be awfully, awfully tough places to play.[/QUOTE]

I have at times found myself getting bored with lopsided games whereby we win by a ton...but tonight my hands were wringing a few times plus.

We got the win and it was big...hell they're all big!:cheers:

caduceus
02-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Few looked shellshocked. He didn't look like he likes "shellshocked".

I'll say. After the technical:

http://i.imgur.com/CJZrciC.png

Looks at the ref and says "Blow your F*#@'n whistle!" Pretty easy lip reading there.

Once and Future Zag
02-02-2013, 11:19 PM

And we're the first to 21 wins.

Mantua
02-02-2013, 11:30 PM
The worst thing about tonight is having seen them play like that. It's a terrifying memory when we have a couple of tough games and a tournament coming up.

I don't think that SDU played all that poorly tonight. Watching their bigs (and their small) pull down so many rebounds with no seeming effort was quite unnerving.

rijman
02-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Like they say a win is a win. In another thread I pointed out the Zags hadn't scored more than 68 points in the last 5 regular season games at USD and they still haven't in the past 6 games. That game was way too close for comfort. I was expecting a relaxing game like a day at the beach, it turned out to be a stressful game like a day at work, only better.

2wiceright
02-02-2013, 11:55 PM
We every team lays a big brown one once in a while. It's unavoidable. Maybe the kids thought they had a pushover on their hands. I suspect it won't happen again. Few looked shellshocked. He didn't look like he likes "shellshocked". We won an empty one. Be of good cheer though.....we could have lost. This would be much much worse if we had flagged one.

:agreed: Easy for the team to get 'full of themselves' after all the media hype, rankings, and 2 nights after a 45 point blowout of your opponent. I suspect this "lackadaisical effort" will be burned into their psyche by the near loss and Few and Co....

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Our boys played hard. USD played well, some bounces went their way, and the Slim Gym was rocking. Our bench basically stormed the court at the final buzzer. Like it or not, that's a good win. Would have been real easy to lose this one.

Life's too short for the wins feel like losses.

Let's move on to the next one.

bigblahla
02-02-2013, 11:57 PM
I thought the Toreros had something to do with the outcome. Very quick skilled guards. Basketball is an offensive game USD hit the open spots in the paint for short jumpers. Their dribble drive penetration was excellent. Grier knows the Zags and Few and he finally has some talent. Kok has a huge upside. Hats off to USD they played hard but it was a deserved hard fought victory.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

jim77
02-03-2013, 12:02 AM
How about a little credit for the home team...they came to play. The Zags hung in there and pulled it out.

caduceus
02-03-2013, 12:03 AM
Agreed. Grier knows all of Few's tendencies, and we all know how Mark loves playing "slow down teams" that gum up the works. It's no wonder he got the technical. USD had a good game plan, and GU was on the 2nd leg of a road trip (always a danger) with little prep time.

UberZagFan
02-03-2013, 12:51 AM

And none of them played a team as bad as USD and none of them played as bad as GU. If you or anyone thinks Michigan, Kansas, or Syracuse played as awful as GU played they are kidding themselves.

DCZag
02-03-2013, 02:31 AM
I think people forget how hard it is in college hoops to win on the road in conference...especially with the target we carry on our backs.

The Slim Gym won't have a third as many people in it for their next game....Butler lost at LaSalle and St Louis, Wichita St lost at UNI, SDSU lost at AF, Ore lost at Cal, on and on and on....

We could have lost - but didn't.

Next!

MickMick
02-03-2013, 03:12 AM

I have to go back to the San Diego State game last year to find a worse effort on the boards. And yes, it is about effort. Rebounding is effort. Hate to rag on Sam because the whole team was lousy on the glass (except Harris), but Sam looked especially soft against those USD bigs. They physically overpowered him.

I did see a few superhuman shots out of USD as well. As Dickau says, good offense beats good defense.

These USD guards remind me of the Purdue guards that SMC faced in the tournament last year. Ultra quick feet and a very quick release. They drive, stop, and pop quicker than you can bat an eye.

That 5' 7" guard for USD, Christopher Anderson, is really good. Very impressed with how he keeps his head up and dishes effortlessly on the drive. Eleven assists. I'm impressed.

Anderson pointed out a screen for one of his bigs, drove around the screen to his right when it was set, and popped off a long two point shot with ease. He did it with so much confidence that it floored me. He knew he was going to hit that shot long before he took it. It was the basket that had me believing it would go down to the wire.

Impressive.

Birddog
02-03-2013, 04:59 AM
USD also had a full week to prepare for the Zags. The Zags lackadaisical rebounding is what tore me up.

bartruff1
02-03-2013, 05:12 AM
Glad we got that outta our system. Phew.....I very much enjoyed the game...the starters played well for the most part....Harris is well Harris...but I think Bell is back on offense.

When you can get a scare and a win...that is good.

The coaches will have lots of stuff to work on next week to get ready for the next road trip...

SD deserves all the credit... It looked to me like they had a player wide open for a layup on that last play ??? Must not have seen him...

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-03-2013, 07:50 AM
I think people forget how hard it is in college hoops to win on the road in conference...especially with the target we carry on our backs.

The Slim Gym won't have a third as many people in it for their next game....Butler lost at LaSalle and St Louis, Wichita St lost at UNI, SDSU lost at AF, Ore lost at Cal, on and on and on....

Next!

Well said.

Reborn
02-03-2013, 08:36 AM
It was a great game. A real nailbiter. As i've said, we just don't know how any game will really go. Billy Boy's guys were ready for this one, and almost pulled it off. I really thought they could. But in the end, the Zags were just better by hair tonight.

How can anyone say GU played good? That's insanity, man. Kelly Olynyk was horrible, listless and lifeless. When he committed that first "stupid" foul, I knew we'd be playing without him, and GU is not as good when Kelly's not there. Kelly's believing the BS, and it's hurting him. Time for him to get refocussed and real. There were 17 scouts there last night, and I'm sure they were as unimpressed with Kelly as I was. The real star last night was Harris, and Bell too really. Elias was there at the end to make sure USD did NOT WIN as he left no doubt by blocking the shot. Honestly, i'm sick of watching Kelly Olynyk play with his head band. The way he's constantly playing with his hair just looks really wierd to me.

Kevin Pangos played his worst game of the year. He looked horrible at both ends. He was totally unable to play defense last night, and honestly he was as horrible on offense too. And Sam Dower was back to who he was a month ago. He may be a nice guy, but please save it for after the game. Stop being so nice during the game.

There are so many different kinds of games during a season. This was one of those where we play bad in a hostlle environment, but still win. I have been waiting for this kind of game for awhile. I knew it would come. This was the away game where in some seasons the Zags lose. It looked that way to me. But I watched patiently at the end because I felt that the Zags would pull it out because this team is not like some of the others. No team can play good all year long. It's just a fact, and that's why team's like Kansas lose to Oklahoma State at home and have their beautiful win streak end. I thought Kansas would go undefeated in league this year. And be a #1 seed in March. You just never know. I'm really proud of the Zags for NOT letting this one go. Last nights game has nothing to do with next week's games. Each game has it's own life. Surviving two tough road games without a loss is really something special. So knowing this, I feel good. I feel happy. And I'm full of joy because we are not feeling like Kansas', Syracuse's, Butler's, Oregon's and North Carolina's fans are feeling this morning. We have survived and now must move on to get ready for next week.

This game was NOT Mark Few's fault. I'm sure he was as frustrated as we were with the way some of the guys were playing. But I am beginning to feel it's about time to put some of the guys on the bench now and leave them there. I think he should develop an 8 man rotation now and stick to it. Great to see Gary Bell back.

allnet59
02-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Reborn you post above is so right on. We got the win and in the end thats all that matters. The sun came up this morning even through the fog.

jazzdelmar
02-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Bingo 'Born.....right on all counts. Bell deserves more love, he was 100% great, Harris had some fits and starts. Kevin seemed dazed by USD's speed. Kelly looked like a D leaguer at best......onwards....PS: The sun is out in San Diego as well..70s. sorry.

gamagin
02-03-2013, 09:33 AM

Next!

Spot on. Tnx

gamagin
02-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Bingo 'Born.....right on all counts. Bell deserves more love, he was 100% great, Harris had some fits and starts. Kevin seemed dazed by USD's speed. Kelly looked like a D leaguer at best......onwards....PS: The sun is out in San Diego as well..70s. sorry.

Sun came out here, too. It's just "resting" above the clouds. Til Spring. Or later.

U Zig, I Zag
02-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Quick-skipped through the game this morning on the DVR. 90% of the problem was lack of effort. Nobody was down on their haunches with their hands up on defense. Bell (and Harris to some extent) were the only ones going full speed at times.

That said, USD played great and the little guys for them put it all on the line and hit some shots (and grabbed some boards).

I disagree about Pangos to some extent. He had ice in his veins several times and nailed some tough shots.

My primary complaint would be a total lack of intensity on the glass (find a body and stick your ass into their hipbone, for crying out loud). Secondarily, we moved the ball pretty poorly and we didn't seem to get it down low (KO or E or Sam with their backs to the basket) and look for that option, then snapped it around the perimeter if it wasn't there. The O seemed scatterbrained and disconnected.

U Zig, I Zag
02-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Double-post...