PDA

View Full Version : Article from Rush The Court

RRZagFan
02-01-2013, 09:46 AM
A little comparison to previous teams.

http://bit.ly/VATqNS

dnj116
02-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the find! That was a good read.

FuManShoes
02-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Good read but a bit painful to read this passage as it reinforces what I saw in our losses and fear of what we might see in March.

One significant concern, however, about the Zags, and one that certainly wasnít tested by LMU and may not be tested again during the remainder of the WCC schedule, is how well Gonzaga can deal with more athletic and with bigger guards defensively. Against Illinois (one of the two losses on the record books), Brandon Paul regularly abused whichever guard Gonzaga through at him on his way to 35 points. D.J. Richardson and Tracy Abrams combined to add 25 more. Against Oklahoma State (a one-point Gonzaga win that could have easily gone the other way), big athletic guards Marcus Smart and Markel Brown combined for 39 points, while regularly setting up shooter Phil Forte on his way to five three-pointers. Evan Santa Clara managed to keep things close o the back of 29 points from Kevin Foster. Not that Olynyk is by any means a lock-down defender in the frontcourt, but the ability of Gonzagaís backcourt to slow down NCAA Tournament-quality backcourts will remain a question until the Zags actually do it. As good as the Zags have been offensively, a defensive efficiency rating of #41 in the nation proves that they have nowhere near the balance from offense to defense that fellow elite offensive teams Florida has. For that matter, they are not even in the same ballpark as Indiana (#15 nationally); they are somewhere between Michigan (#33) and Creighton (#86). Doubts about this teamís ability to get key stops against good teams when needed in March are not unfounded.

CDC84
02-01-2013, 11:44 AM
All the more important to win games and get a really good seed. There are only so many teams who have those kinds of guards in addition to the required offensive and defensive firepower to challenge the Zags in other areas.

maynard g krebs
02-01-2013, 12:48 PM
I think a healthy GB makes a difference in the games the writer mentions. OSU is the game he missed a lot of the 2nd half, and many here were wondering if he was seriously injured. I doubt there are a lot of teams in D1 w/ better defensive options at the 3 than Hart and Edi.

Brandon Paul scored what, 43, against Ohio State, and I don't see articles like this about them.

Sure it's a weakness at pg. Just about every team has weaknesses, and probably every team that plays reasonably uptempo has given up big point totals to a few players. I remember Foster scoring a bunch against Duke, and you don't see this kind of story about them either.

GoZags
02-01-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm taking a guess that this is written by the guy who posts on the St. Mary's board all the time -- the guy that likes to call Gonzaga the "Hype Machine" and takes every opportunity to discredit anything positive that happens vis a vis Gonzaga Basketball. i.e the prediction of Gonzaga's downfall predicated on some of the transfers, etc.

He's the WCC "expert" for "Rush the Court". Kinda chicken that this article didn't have a byline -- particularly when it is most likely written by a message board poster from one of GU's "rival" schools.

soccerdud
02-01-2013, 10:20 PM
I'm taking a guess that this is written by the guy who posts on the St. Mary's board all the time -- the guy that likes to call Gonzaga the "Hype Machine" and takes every opportunity to discredit anything positive that happens vis a vis Gonzaga Basketball. i.e the prediction of Gonzaga's downfall predicated on some of the transfers, etc.

He's the WCC "expert" for "Rush the Court". Kinda chicken that this article didn't have a byline -- particularly when it is most likely written by a message board poster from one of GU's "rival" schools.

the poster you're referring to goes by the name of alamedafan. IF he wrote this, it's a credit to him and probably the very first thing he's ever written about gonzaga (including a handful of articles for RTC and random forum posts) that appeared to be reasonable.

truth is, other than the WCC/RTC connection, there's no reason to even bring him up. this article is fair, insightful, and worth reading. not sure what you were looking for here.

or was there some "hype-machine" moment i missed in there?

GZag
02-02-2013, 11:34 AM
I would say the article is fair. GBJ has been working his rear off on D and Edi, Hart Dranginis can help us.

gamagin
02-02-2013, 02:32 PM

right beneath the header. Andrew Murawa.

I was looking to see who the author was and ran across his tweets during the game. seems okay to me, fwiw. Likes what he saw, of the Zags. A lot.

https://twitter.com/AMurawa

GoZags
02-02-2013, 02:55 PM
right beneath the header. Andrew Murawa.

I was looking to see who the author was and ran across his tweets during the game. seems okay to me, fwiw. Likes what he saw, of the Zags. A lot.

https://twitter.com/AMurawa

Thanks. I sure didn't see any name when I looked for it the other day. Thanks again.