PDA

View Full Version : New Gonzaga Beat Writer for the Spokesman

ZagNative
08-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Did anybody else notice that there's a new beat writer for Gonzaga basketball at the Spokesman-Review, and he posted his first blog a couple of days ago. His name is Jim Meehan.

He says this in his first blog on August 3 (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/zags/):

With that, we're off... Many of you probably read today's S-R to discover GU will play the Oklahoma Sooners in Oklahoma City in December in the nightcap of an ESPN doubleheader. The story is sourced, according to this release from OU, this article in the Tulsa World, which cites an event organizer; and the Daily Oklahoman.

However, nowhere in these reports will you see Gonzaga confirming its participation. That's because the game isn't a done deal in GU's eyes. GU officials said the game hasn't been completely agreed upon and that there is no signed contract. They're not saying it won't happen, but they feel Oklahoma and the event organizer jumped the gun a little bit.

We'll update as necessary.

Wonder what the hang up is. Thoughts? I don't remember if there was supposed to be a return game. Anyone got any dope on this?

azzagfan
08-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I saw this. His first post although having information on the OU game didn't infuse me with great interest when he said he would be diving into the media guide to get ready. I'm all for the desire and effort, but Spokane is die hard for their Zags and for a guy to admittedly state he needs to dive into the media guide to get to know the players and coaches. Don't tell me you're going to, by your write-ups show me that you did. I'm sure what will follow are many people saying I'm being too hard on him.

Zags-Bsee
08-06-2007, 04:27 PM
I think he should

1. acknowledge this board in every blog and
2. summarize the information that he finds here.

His blog is boring relative to this board. My thanks to all that contribute.

BobZag
08-06-2007, 04:46 PM
I can tell you Gonzaga is not overly thrilled with playing an average team all the way over in OKC. In short, GU does not necessarily want to play in this doubleheader. GU's goal is marquee games vs marquee teams whenever on neutral courts. It can't, and doesn't, always happen, but that's the aim. OU is marquee...in football. I was surprised Andy Katz, a friend of Few & Co., and a so-called insider, reported this game without checking the Zags' side of it.

mendiant
08-06-2007, 06:21 PM
I can tell you Gonzaga is not overly thrilled with playing an average team all the way over in OKC. In short, GU does not necessarily want to play in this doubleheader. GU's goal is marquee games vs marquee teams whenever on neutral courts. It can't, and doesn't, always happen, but that's the aim. OU is marquee...in football. I was surprised Andy Katz, a friend of Few & Co., and a so-called insider, reported this game without checking the Zags' side of it.

I'm sure glad Bob Zag knows the media guide ... chapter and verse...

hehe.

Hopefully, the new guy will be up to speed by the time the season starts.

What's Steve Bergum doing now? Will he be on the WSU beat?

lawzag
08-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Hope he takes his coverage of GU BB more seriously than his first post implied - "While keeping an eye on GU hoops, I'll also be covering ..."

I mean, I know there are other teams in town, but really, the focus should be on us, dontcha think? :D

sittingon50
08-06-2007, 06:48 PM
1st I've heard of this. Bergum did the SR release when Gibbs verballed.

I know that the guy that was doing all the WSU stuff (Kasses [sp]?) moved so perhaps this is a result of a reorganization. I also believe that all the writers periodically get to "bid/draft" on what they get to cover.

I like Steve. I know he's taken some heat here because of a perceived lack of interest in GU (particularly in the summer), but the SR continues to cut back on its budget & they make due as best they can.

ZagNative
08-06-2007, 06:57 PM
I see stories as recently as July 28 with his byline, so I suspect you're right that he's still around, just reassigned.

Nevtelen
08-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Hope he takes his coverage of GU BB more seriously than his first post implied - "While keeping an eye on GU hoops, I'll also be covering ..."

I mean, I know there are other teams in town, but really, the focus should be on us, dontcha think? :D

Seriously, that's what I thought - let's see, Whitworth football and volleyball or GU bball... "Keeping an eye on" doesn't sound very impressive, especially when late Fall is often the meat of GU's schedule and we'll all be jonesing for news right before the season starts.

I have no problem with him covering whatever sports he can, but hopefully the focus stays on GU.

The other dissapointing thing is that he'll have to build up to some extent the relationships with/insight into the program that Bergum had. Anyway, good luck to him - I'll certainly give him the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong. I must have my Zags news however I can get it.

Nevtelen
08-06-2007, 07:11 PM
I can tell you Gonzaga is not overly thrilled with playing an average team all the way over in OKC. In short, GU does not necessarily want to play in this doubleheader. GU's goal is marquee games vs marquee teams whenever on neutral courts. It can't, and doesn't, always happen, but that's the aim. OU is marquee...in football.

I can definitely see that side of it, but, honestly, who else is GU going to get at this time of year? Another good team is needed on the schedule, I think. OU might not be great, but they probably will be decent. If we stay home or go elsewhere, could we find a better opponent at this date? Doubtful. We could probably get some middle-teir BCS squad (in which case, why change - that's OU right there) or a good mid-major hungry for a game (I guess UAB might fall into that category if that's still a possibility).

Plus, this way we get to play against a guy called Longar Longar. Come on, who doesn't love to hear that name called by the announcer on TV?

soonerterp
08-07-2007, 02:01 AM
Maybe the Tulsa World and OU's official site shouldn't have been so hasty in their reporting the matchup, no?

As for this new beat writer ... it would be nice to hear some updates about former Zags. Please?

VaBeachZAG
08-07-2007, 04:36 AM
As a previous post mentioned, at this late date who is GU going to schedule with bigger name recognition or a better RPI than OU? (Yes, OU is a football school but on a national level many more people would notice a win over OU (assuming we win since nothing is certain), than they would with a win over Northern Arizona, for example (not that there is anything wrong with Northern Arizona). If the game with OU was publicized without a firm commit from GU, it sounds like we have some leverage, so why not use it. Let's agree to the game, provided OU returns next year in K2. We can't get big programs/names to come in to K2 (can't recall any out of state big names other than UVA and Stanford), maybe this is an opportunity to get another one! Besides, I saw the GU/OSU game three years ago in OK City and there is no doubt that was a home game for OSU - that crowd was both huge and awsome!

As an aside, even though I took almost as bad of a beating from friends as GU did in Charlottesville over that loss, I still have a lot of respect for any big school willing (i.e., with the guts) to come in to K2.

BobZag
08-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Meehan will be an improvement.

Bergum can now focus more on Gozzer Ranch and how wonderful and breathtaking it is for the ten or so multigazillionaires who get to play it.

NanookZag
08-07-2007, 10:20 AM
If anyone on this board is "multigazillionaires who get to play it" as Bob says, and is looking for a fourth person to fill a round, count me in!

FuManShoes
08-07-2007, 10:40 AM
My first instinct was to say we should give this guy the benefit of the doubt -- and I think we should -- but having read his debut post, I also have to say his writing seemed sloppy, even by blog standards. Also, I agree that he does not set a good tone at all by suggesting he'll be covering pretty much every sporst team in the Inland Empire and thus may just kinda sorta cover the Zags when he gets a chance. Spokane's marquee team deserves better. The Spokesman is going to lose out to KREM and others if it #######izes the Zags with this low-rent approach. Already I find the KREM site with Michaelson's insight and the video interviews to be a better product than the Spokesman is putting out. Hell, the Tacoma News Tribune often has the S-R beat.