PDA

View Full Version : Austin got traded to Memphis

KStyles
01-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Looks like he'll be going to the Grizzlies as part of the Rudy Gay/Jose Calderon trade. I suppose it it isn't 100% official yet, as it is all according to sources.

The Memphis Grizzlies and Toronto Raptors have agreed in principle on a trade that will send leading scorer Rudy Gay to the Raptors, according to sources with knowledge of the deal.

Sources told ESPN.com the Grizzlies will acquire forward Ed Davis and veteran guard Jose Calderon from the Raptors and then move Calderon to a third team to ultimately make this a three-team deal.

The Detroit Pistons, sources said, are one of the prime options to take on Calderon, having pursued the Spanish floor leader all season.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Pistons have agreed to send Tayshaun Prince and Austin Daye to the Grizzlies to acquire Calderon as part of the trade.

Memphis, sources said, is also expected to receive a second-round pick from Toronto as part of the deal.

The Raptors, sources said, are expected to take on Grizzlies reserve center Hamed Haddadi in addition to Gay.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8898673/sources-memphis-grizzlies-agree-principle-trade-rudy-gay-toronto-raptors

zag944
01-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Hopefully the change of pace is good for him. Grizzlies seem to get a lot out of their team....they are probably the best team in the NBA without at least one Hall of Fame level player.

thespywhozaggedme
01-30-2013, 06:24 PM
AD, Tayshaun Prince to Grizz.

BTB
01-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Saw that. Change of scenery could be good for him, seems like he was just starting to put things together

U Zig, I Zag
01-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Anywhere other than Detroit has to be better for Daye. Hopefully he can get some PT.

ZagMan in Philly
01-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Good luck to Austin. I tried to follow him, but just don't like the Pistons, now it will be easier to watch him with Memphis. Hopefully he will get more playing time.

GeorgiaZagFan
01-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Good trade for AD .....he might get a chance to play in Memphis AND he is going from a team with almost NO chance at the playoffs to the #4 team in the West.....

Zag 77
01-30-2013, 09:27 PM
Could not tell you a thing about the Memphis NBA team, but I hear that Memphis has great BBQ food and Country music. My recollection is that the novel "The Firm" by Scott Turow was set there. Great book. Lousy movie.

LongIslandZagFan
01-31-2013, 06:23 AM
Could not tell you a thing about the Memphis NBA team, but I hear that Memphis has great BBQ food and Country music. My recollection is that the novel "The Firm" by Scott Turow was set there. Great book. Lousy movie.

Umm.... That would be John Grisham.

That being said... The trade seems really odd. Gay was a more than solid player on a team that is fourth seeded as of today. Trade left me scratching my head. But happy for Austin to be out of Detroit and the permanent dog house he seemed to be in.

ZAGGED OUT
01-31-2013, 07:42 AM
Umm.... That would be John Grisham.

That being said... The trade seems really odd. Gay was a more than solid player on a team that is fourth seeded as of today. Trade left me scratching my head. But happy for Austin to be out of Detroit and the permanent dog house he seemed to be in.

Trade was purely a money dump for Memphis. New owners didn't like Gay's huge contract, probably setting up for a FA move in 2014 when a lot of big names come up.

LongIslandZagFan
01-31-2013, 08:11 AM
Trade was purely a money dump for Memphis. New owners didn't like Gay's huge contract, probably setting up for a FA move in 2014 when a lot of big names come up.

Still odd when in a solid playoff position.

ZagNative
02-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Looks like Austin's situation in Memphis is a definite improvement for him, per this Commercial Appeal story (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2013/feb/11/grizzlies-forward-austin-daye-making-shots-space/).
Grizzlies forward Austin Daye making shots, creating space for 'horses down low'
Daye shooting way into rotation

Not many critiques inside and outside the organization of the deal knew what to make of Daye, who spent three-plus inconsistent seasons in Detroit.

However, Daye's 50-percent shooting overall and from 3-point range suggests there is potential for him to become a fixture in the rotation. Coach Lionel Hollins is enamored with Daye's tools: shooting, rebounding, length with regard to defense and high basketball IQ.

"He is a shooter," Hollins said. "We just have to find decent matchups for him. He's 6-11 and it's hard to guard some of those really quick threes. But he can move the ball and he can shoot. He's done that and I like that."

Daye understands he hasn't simply moved from a losing team to a winner but he's landed somewhere primed to take advantage of his offensive ability. The hope is that Daye's shooting can continue to make opposing defenses less apt to crowd Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol in the paint.

"With the bigs out there, I'm able to space the floor for them and also find some shots for myself here and there in the flow of the offense," Daye said. "My value is important here because when you've got two horses down low you need guys to space the floor. You need guys to make plays for them."

ZagsBaby
02-17-2013, 07:07 PM
having a nice little run with Memphis.

His shooting numbers this season are really impressive too.

ID ZAGFAN
02-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Austin played 10 + minutes. He had 5 points, 1 rebound, 1 block 1 TO.

ZaGranny

isongd
03-11-2013, 05:33 AM
I was courtside at the Cavs game on Friday. Austin laughed pretty hard at my joke to Jerryd Bayless about how bald isn't always beautiful, he pointed at me... I loved it so thought I'd share. Must not have heard me yelling about zags at the top, got no love for that one.