chad ford has KO 30th.....reality check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

chad ford has KO 30th.....reality check?

Kelly Olynyk
    SCHOOL: GonzagaClass: Jr.
    HT/WT: 7-0, 238POS: C
    18.2 ppg7.0 rpg66 fg%

Olynyk is all over NBA draft boards at the moment. A small handful of teams have him in the mid-first round. A number of others have him firmly in the second. I've split the difference here. His 26-point, 9-rebound, 5-assist game against BYU with 9-for-9 shooting from the field got the attention of a lot of scouts. His 36.46 PER ranks second in the NCAA right now.

Also from ESPN Insider:

Will Kelly Olynyk be a 2013 first-rounder?
    By Joe Kaiser

Few outside of Spokane could have envisioned Kelly Olynyk turning himself in a NBA talent this season, but Gonzaga's skilled big man with the long hair has done just that. What are the chances he turns last year's redshirt season into an early entry into the NBA draft? Lets take a look.

The 7-footer played a limited role in his first two seasons with the Zags, but after redshirting last year due to the team's heavy frontcourt depth, his playing time and his production have exploded as a fourth-year junior. He leads the team in scoring (18.2 ppg), is second in rebounding (7 rpg) and his shooting percentages are off the charts (65.8 FG, 81.7 FT). According to John Hollinger's college player efficiency ratings, Olynyk (36.45) comes in with the second-best mark in the entire nation.

Make no mistake, this guy is good. He's clearly one of the most efficient bigs in the country and has shown the ability to make considerable improvements to his game. Now the question is whether he's good enough to make the jump to the NBA after the season. Here's more on that from our NBA draft expert Chad Ford, who bumped Olynyk all the way up to No. 30 today on his updated Big Board.
  • CaliforniaZaggin'
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2008

Given his age relative to some of his would-be NBA draft peers, and the fact that his track record of playing at this high level isn't as long as others, I think late first-round seems about right at this point. Of course, the last 1/3 of the season will have a huge impact on KO's draft stock.
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• Ekrub
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2009

So instead of his opinion he just took An average of what he has seen? I'd prefer just to see the opinions of the people who have him in the second vs first round.

Comment

• 229SintoZag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Well

This would not be the first time Rex Walters was wrong, what with his talk of KO being a "lottery pick."

Comment

• MDABE80
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

He'd be a lotto next year. He needs further developemnt. Good now...very good. He'd be super next season if he continues his work.

Comment

• Zagdawg
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

+1

Works on his defense and rebounding/strength/explosiveness he would be a lottery pick next year.

Comment

• ZagSports
              Bulldog Fan
              • Feb 2011

The only major problem I see with him is he brings the ball down a lot, uses his length to get scoop shots and go under defenders to make space.

This will not work in the NBA, it will get eaten up by those athletic grown 7 ft men. I'm all for him going, I'm all for him staying. Dude put his time into the University and the community, can't really ask for more from him.

Comment

• VinnyZag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Coming back won't help him, because the pool of players expected to be available for the 2014 draft will be stronger than the pool of players available for 2013.

Comment

• ridgebackzag
                  Kennel Club
                  • Jan 2009

Kelly was relatively unknown before this year. He was considered underdeveloped and most of the pundits didn't dig deep enough to realize he grew a foot in HS. He's living up to the potential of the combination of his size and skills he's had for years. None of this attention should be a surprise, we all knew and the coaches have been hinting since school year. He's only going to get better and he'll play pro somewhere. Scouts drool over a guy that tall with guard skills, he just needs to get rid of tendencies that would be great if he was only 6ft but don't work for a 7 footer.

Comment

• rennis
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by VinnyZag View Post
                    Coming back won't help him, because the pool of players expected to be available for the 2014 draft will be stronger than the pool of players available for 2013.
                    *ding*

I think this more than anything will determine how KO makes his decision in May.

mid-to-late first round possibilities could easily get him off the fence if there is significant fear about a more robust draft the following year.
                    Originally posted by Coach Few
                    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• btzag
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Feb 2007

Can anyone post who the centers are ahead of him on that 'big board'? I can't believe there are 29 better prospects than KO right now.

Comment

• zag buddy
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2007

As I've been saying all along top 10. I said Sacre would go around 16th not 60th but he's doing just fine and maybe should have gone about 16th.

Comment

• A to Zags
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                          Kelly Olynyk
                          SCHOOL: GonzagaClass: Jr.
                          HT/WT: 7-0, 238POS: C
                          18.2 ppg7.0 rpg66 fg%

Olynyk is all over NBA draft boards at the moment. A small handful of teams have him in the mid-first round. A number of others have him firmly in the second. I've split the difference here. His 26-point, 9-rebound, 5-assist game against BYU with 9-for-9 shooting from the field got the attention of a lot of scouts. His 36.46 PER ranks second in the NCAA right now.

Also from ESPN Insider:

Will Kelly Olynyk be a 2013 first-rounder?
                          By Joe Kaiser

Few outside of Spokane could have envisioned Kelly Olynyk turning himself in a NBA talent this season, but Gonzaga's skilled big man with the long hair has done just that. What are the chances he turns last year's redshirt season into an early entry into the NBA draft? Lets take a look.

The 7-footer played a limited role in his first two seasons with the Zags, but after redshirting last year due to the team's heavy frontcourt depth, his playing time and his production have exploded as a fourth-year junior. He leads the team in scoring (18.2 ppg), is second in rebounding (7 rpg) and his shooting percentages are off the charts (65.8 FG, 81.7 FT). According to John Hollinger's college player efficiency ratings, Olynyk (36.45) comes in with the second-best mark in the entire nation.

Make no mistake, this guy is good. He's clearly one of the most efficient bigs in the country and has shown the ability to make considerable improvements to his game. Now the question is whether he's good enough to make the jump to the NBA after the season. Here's more on that from our NBA draft expert Chad Ford, who bumped Olynyk all the way up to No. 30 today on his updated Big Board.
                          I have not seen the list but am wondering how many foreign players are on it? I have seen players in the past disappointed when their projected spot actually dropped significantly on draft day due to many foreign players being taken in front of them.

Comment

• ZagsBaby
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                            He'd be a lotto next year. He needs further developemnt. Good now...very good. He'd be super next season if he continues his work.
                            You know they continue to develop in the NBA too, right? More so, actually. Way more time spent on developing your game plus NBA resources.

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2009

Love KO. However, his quickness is and springiness is what he lacks the most right now. He has a good head for the game and has worked to overcome the gawkiness that we saw his Fr/So years.

Lottery picks are bigger investments and they get more money (and more leeway to get going in the league).

The expectation that he would be an AA, he would be featured in the ESPN promo reels, etc, etc - that is there if decides to come back and play. The momentum of just being recognized nationally for the entire year as the best big men in D1 (if not the best) would certainly improve his draft stock, IMHO.

*in other words, stay Kelly.

Comment

Working...
                              X