• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vanzagger
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

That D

is looking tough. I noticed coach really fired up on the sideline in the first half. I can't remember him more animated. He kept throwing his hands in the air.

Good job. I love our hard work and focus. We need to connect on a few more alley oop dunks now.
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!
  • Zag79
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Totally agree. The defense this year is a huge reason we are 19-2, it's one of the better defensive teams we've had. The balance this team shows on offense and defense is pretty remarkable, its seems like someone is always stepping up when we need it most.

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

It's looked better the past 2 games. They are still in the 50's in adjusted defensive efficiency. I'd like see that figure get into the low 30's.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2011

Sacrificial D

Here! Here! I agree as well. This tough, higher tier defense we are executing started with Harts's example. I think he has been an example for years. Few can teach it, but Hart shows it and we see the results of elevated defense. We can see when we slack off too. (2nd half)

I personally think Gary Bell Jr. has taken the job of defending and shutting down our opponents top backcourt scorer. This game focus is different than his past focus. A true team has players who sacrifice the personal stats to benefit the team.

Bell is sacrificing getting in his offensive "zone" to hone his superior defense skills for the tournament and his future career. Staying in "THE ZONE" at both ends of the court is doubly as hard as getting in the Off "Zone". Bell IMO is focussing on shutting down the toughest scorers or whoever he is defending. He knows someone else will score and I believe he knows he is the best candidate for "defensive stopper". Stockton is crafty, but Bell is athletic and can shut down the most elite guards in the nation. He is taking the wide open shots but he isn't forcing shots for himself and I agree with whatever him and Few and the team chooses.

IMO, Bells shift from offensive scorer to defensive stopper, not only is what the team needs but it will make him more of a complete player for his future "employment". I also believe that once he learns how to create defensive stops, he will then focus his next step of development to be elite at both ends of the court.
        “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• Rangerzag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
          Here! Here! I agree as well. This tough, higher tier defense we are executing started with Harts's example. I think he has been an example for years. Few can teach it, but Hart shows it and we see the results of elevated defense.
          I think the best example of this is Barham's excellent recent defense. He has to compete directly with MH for playing time. Since Drew shows similar defensive results to Hart and elevated offensive performance his playing time has increased. I don't think Barham's D would have improved as quickly or as much if Hart were not standing directly in his way.
          "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
          "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
          I am monitoring the price of a donut

Comment

• Reborn
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

"Defense wins championships."

I know the Zags want that WCC championship trophy back, and it shows. And they want it in a big, bad way. They are going to go undefeated in conference this year, to remind everyone who they are.

The good news IS.....Gonzaga has not peaked yet. They will begin to peak when Gary Bell finds his confidnece in his shot consistently, and until someone on the bench steps up and prooves he can hit that outside shot consisently. It's beginning to look to me like we've found that guy in Drew Barham.
            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• DADoZAG
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2009

Improvement is not about one on one, it's all in the help and the rotations that go with it. It's a team concept.

The best way to see it, is to NOT watch the ball when the ZAGS are on D, focus just inside the free throw line and see how the ZAGS work as a team. When it's good, it's very good.

Now if Dower would stop playing on his heels...

Go ZAGS!
              Go ZAGS!

Only watching the ball, misses at least 80% of the game.

Comment

• Mantua
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DADoZAG View Post
                Improvement is not about one on one, it's all in the help and the rotations that go with it. It's a team concept.

The best way to see it, is to NOT watch the ball when the ZAGS are on D, focus just inside the free throw line and see how the ZAGS work as a team. When it's good, it's very good.

Now if Dower would stop playing on his heels...

Go ZAGS!
                I agree.

I watch for motion and fluidity on offense. Dower needs to be more active on defense too.
                Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• DZ
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2007

It is all relative, of course, but I have seen Dower come on strong the last few games. He had the scoring outbreak at Butler - but he did a nice job with a few blocks against BYU, some better rebounding and overall effort. I think he will improve as the focus becomes more and more on great D.
                  Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                  Mark Twain.

Comment

• titopoet
                    Zag for Life
                    • Apr 2008

A few weeks there was a post about our D eff numbers as compared to other contenders. You know the chicken little the sky is falling type of post. Then, I said watch our numbers go down as others go up and low and behold they are down to 91.9 ranking 52 moving past Creighton and others. Look for these to continue to trend down. Already the third best D team and if they continue to show the same effort, they could get below 90.00 which would make the best numbers of the Few Era.
                    ----
                    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• DADoZAG
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                      It is all relative, of course, but I have seen Dower come on strong the last few games. He had the scoring outbreak at Butler - but he did a nice job with a few blocks against BYU, some better rebounding and overall effort. I think he will improve as the focus becomes more and more on great D.
                      Dower is giving full effort and has a sweet offensive game once he has the ball in his hands. Blocks were beautiful, great timing and excellent rotation help.

He’d be playing a ton if he could get his body mechanics cleaned up, IMO, and he’ll be needed when the ZAGS face up with the big boys in the tourney.

Don’t want to hijack this thread, though.

Go ZAGS! Great D! (most of the time…)
                      Go ZAGS!

Only watching the ball, misses at least 80% of the game.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2011

Individually, I do not think Bell, Dower, Edi, Barham and even Kelly have peaked yet. They buy into the team concept but individual skills are not honed sharp and consistent yet.

Once those guys get the kinks out and the benefits add to the team strength Gonzaga is scary good. Not that we aren't already. All the work Randy Bennett did the last 10 years is teetering on a fine edge this season.
                        “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• tempe85
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by DADoZAG View Post
                          Dower is giving full effort and has a sweet offensive game once he has the ball in his hands. Blocks were beautiful, great timing and excellent rotation help.

He’d be playing a ton if he could get his body mechanics cleaned up, IMO, and he’ll be needed when the ZAGS face up with the big boys in the tourney.

Don’t want to hijack this thread, though.

Go ZAGS! Great D! (most of the time…)

I love Dower's offensive game, but he needs to remember who he is. He's a great jump shooter, with maybe the best 15 footer on the team. When he puts the ball on the floor he becomes a turnover machine. It frustrates me when he passes up a 10 footer in exchange for posting someone up (something he's not that great at). What he did against Butler is a great example of what he's capable of, which came mostly from jump shots. He can be a great complimentary player if he plays more to his strengths.

Comment

Working...
                          X