PDA

View Full Version : Coach Walters showing some class.

zag buddy
01-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Walters said the current edition is Gonzaga’s best in his five seasons with the Dons.

“Because they have a lottery pick in Olynyk, and he didn’t play great tonight,” Walters said. “Harris is a high-level pro, Pangos is a high-level pro, but it’s really simple when you have a lottery pick you become a lot better team. And that’s what he is, I really believe that. First time I’ve said that about a West Coast Conference player.

“And they’ve got guys … I give Michael Hart a hard time about how we guard him. I love him. He’s the toughest kid they have on their team. They have great role players. They’ve owned their roles.”

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2013/jan/26/gus-quick-start-buries-another-wcc-foe/

MDABE80
01-26-2013, 11:09 PM
Hart is indeed the toughest kid we have. ELias is running a very strong second though. Watched the replay while working and isolated on ELias. He's working his a** off.

MickMick
01-26-2013, 11:20 PM
Harris has played well this season, but beginning with the Butler game, he has raised it another level.

This stretch against Butler, BYU and USF is absolutely the best that Harris has played in his entire life.

I recall watching his defense against Hawaii (in Vancouver BC) last year and wondered if he would ever become a complete player. He really did look lost and was getting killed along the baseline. Now his defense is top notch. He is staying out of foul trouble while being very physical on the defensive end. He is altering shots and covering the baseline quickly. Amazing to me that he has become so good defensively.

It is as if he has completely remade himself. No more reckless travels. No more lazy passes. It is hard to imagine his rebounding getting any better. He attacks the rim like he did his freshman campaign and he is not only getting to the line, but making his free throws.

Just a stud. Especially these last three games. Has really elevated his game to another level. Very noticeable difference in his game recently.

sittingon50
01-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Rex is blowing smoke hoping KO doesn't stick around next year.

ZagsGoZags
01-27-2013, 01:01 AM
also in his tweet to who he thought was Kelly tweeting him, he alluded to the big bucks Kelly would have next year as a lottery pick

what he wants most is what I want least, Kelly to go this year, but I won't blame him

bartruff1
01-27-2013, 05:38 AM
Very accurate and fair minded comments... not easy to bring a bunch of freshmen in here to play....I hope they learned and grew from the experience. The WCC looks very weak to me this year...or maybe Gonzaga is just that good.

a13coach
01-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Rex is blowing smoke hoping KO doesn't stick around next year.

+1000000
Rexie-boy wants to have a weaker GU team next year in order to try and get a bigger win next year. Probably hoping that it would help him get a "bigger" job by adding a win @ The Kennel to his res. But he better worry about keeping his job by the end of this season.

jazzdelmar
01-27-2013, 07:13 AM
walters is a complete fraud. blowing smoke, hoping KO will leave. moreover, to describe KP as a "high level pro" is just nonsense and an insight into where he's coming from. someone to be ignored.

bartruff1
01-27-2013, 07:18 AM
I think Rex was simply expressing a honest and complimentary opinion about Kelly. He knows what it takes to play in the NBA.

I am quite sure that Kelly will make a decision in his self interest without any consideration of what Rex says or thinks..

I don't think he is in any danger of being fired.

I hope Gonzaga will win there this year, and I think they will.

Zagger
01-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Harris has played well this season, but beginning with the Butler game, he has raised it another level.

This stretch against Butler, BYU and USF is absolutely the best that Harris has played in his entire life.

I recall watching his defense against Hawaii (in Vancouver BC) last year and wondered if he would ever become a complete player. He really did look lost and was getting killed along the baseline. Now his defense is top notch. He is staying out of foul trouble while being very physical on the defensive end. He is altering shots and covering the baseline quickly. Amazing to me that he has become so good defensively.

It is as if he has completely remade himself. No more reckless travels. No more lazy passes. It is hard to imagine his rebounding getting any better. He attacks the rim like he did his freshman campaign and he is not only getting to the line, but making his free throws.

Just a stud. Especially these last three games. Has really elevated his game to another level. Very noticeable difference in his game recently.

:agreed:

Harris is great! He and KO are working with one another better and better. Zags are going to be VERY hard to beat from here on out.

As for KO leaving for the pros after this year ........ I'm thinking he won't. Why? I think he really likes playing for Few and Gonzaga. He's a great fit @ GU. He sticks with GU and his # will be retired. It may be a gamble to stay due to worries about injuries, lure of the big bucks, etc. - But, if he keeps improving he'd go a long way to helping GU attract even better talent. I'll be disappointed if he leaves but totally respectful of the decision. He's a great team player and should the Zags play deep into the NCAA playoffs ....... he'll definitely be a historic Zag.

Zagdawg
01-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Give him some credit--Rex is definitely trying to work his magic--hoping to make the league a little weaker next year so that his team has a chance.

Kelly and his family will decide if they are ready to go after this year.

The funny thing that Rex was pointing out about him being a lottery pick--none of the draft boards have him pegged as a lottery pick yet-- but Rex seems to have it figured out.

Go make your millions now--while you can --the window will close---is what he saying--hmmmmm ....so very helpful of him--with no underlying benefits to Rex or his team.

The thing that you need to ask--when has Rex ever complimented a Zag player in the past? And he just complimented a player that put up 13 pts against him at home as the first time he has seen this type of lottery player in the WCC.

Where are my hip waders --it is getting deep in Rexs part of the woods.

VinnyZag
01-27-2013, 08:57 AM
walters is a complete fraud. blowing smoke, hoping KO will leave. moreover, to describe KP as a "high level pro" is just nonsense and an insight into where he's coming from. someone to be ignored.

Depends on how you define "high-level pro," I guess. Pangos probably won't play in the NBA, granted, but he could be a really good player in the top European league, I'd think.

bartruff1
01-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Depends on how you define "high-level pro," I guess. Pangos probably won't play in the NBA, granted, but he could be a really good player in the top European league, I'd think. I don't know, but I would guess Kevin has bigger fish to fry....something along the path of Burgess....maybe a couple years in Europe then on to more important things...

john montana
01-27-2013, 09:42 AM
If KO comes back, he would be a preseason national player of the year candidate and be hyped beyond belief by espn. It would be fun to watch.

bballbeachbum
01-27-2013, 11:52 AM
wants to sucker punch the Zags at War Memorial, all he does highly focused on that, my opinion

zag buddy
01-27-2013, 01:02 PM
My goodness, I think some of us are really fanatics - seeing a spy behind every tree.
give the coach some credit for speaking his mind for all the world to seein print which last forever. I appaud him.

bartruff1
01-27-2013, 01:04 PM
My goodness, I think some of us are really fanatics - seeing a spy behind every tree.

I agree...It is always risky to assume the worst motive behind someone's actions...I think the shrinks call it projection...

zag buddy
01-27-2013, 01:09 PM
I had to stop seeing my shrink because I wasn't sure what he really meant behind every comment he made.

DixieZag
01-27-2013, 01:11 PM
I had to stop seeing my shrink because I wasn't sure what he really meant behind every comment he made.

Yeah, just because I am paranoid doesn't mean that someone isn't watching me!

bballbeachbum
01-27-2013, 01:35 PM
my dad was a shrink ;)

and I'll stick to my guns on Rex...it's actually a compliment what I said about him as a coach

sittingon50
01-27-2013, 02:03 PM
bumper stickers of all time:

"You're just jealous because the voices don't talk to you."

zag buddy
01-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Great, make me laugh outloud. Mind reading has been taken to a new level here.

sullyzag66
01-27-2013, 02:16 PM
I dunno. Walters and class. Still trying to connect the dots.

bartruff1
01-27-2013, 02:28 PM
bumper stickers of all time:

"You're just jealous because the voices don't talk to you." Bring back rep !!!

MDABE80
01-27-2013, 02:31 PM
I dunno. Walters and class. Still trying to connect the dots.

Perfect comment. We'll see.

Zag 77
01-27-2013, 08:51 PM
I agree Walters is just trying to encourage KO to skip his senior year. I recall the same thing when Ronny was a junior.

SWZag
01-27-2013, 11:40 PM
I think Rex was simply expressing a honest and complimentary opinion about Kelly. He knows what it takes to play in the NBA.

I am quite sure that Kelly will make a decision in his self interest without any consideration of what Rex says or thinks..

I don't think he is in any danger of being fired.

I hope Gonzaga will win there this year, and I think they will.

Agreed.

Based on what some have said, is it automatically blowing smoke because of what Rex has said previously?

If it is, then I would say that based on what he's said previously, he never would have said these nice things in the first place. He doesn't just say nice things, he's known for saying what he's thinking (most of the time negative stuff too)

I think it's honesty and I'm glad to see he respects our players. It is silly to think that because an opposing coach says nice things that it's going to help in his decision making for leaving for the NBA or staying.

Now let's stop the skip at USF.

Zag4Hire
01-28-2013, 09:01 AM
I think it lies somewhere in between blowing smoke and offering praise. The Zags still have to go down to War Memorial and USF has had GU's number for some time. Typical coach tactic to heap praise upon an opponent so if you beat them, it tends to make the win more significant. I always thought this was Coach Cal's motive with Gonzaga during his Memphis days.