PDA

View Full Version : We *HAVE* to stop coasting.

adoptedzag
01-26-2013, 07:38 PM
We only scored 23 points in the 2nd half. Yes, we have a big lead and I understand its hard to keep focus, but when you get into that habit bad things happen in the tournament. Think UCLA. Am I the only one who is concerned?

Kiddwell
01-26-2013, 07:52 PM
They score 31, we score 23. Don't like that, either. With the lead, however, we're able to play more bench (which can translate into a point drop-off).

:]

ZagsBaby
01-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Am I the only one who is concerned?

yes

tempe85
I'm not too worried. The defensive intensity stayed high all game and we were still crashing the boards, those are the two areas where we have to focus on if we want to make it far. Even after going really cold on the offensive end, SF was barely able to cut into the lead. We did settle for too many jumpers in the second half, but we were also trying to end the game by using most of the clock.

Section 116
Santangelo said he would like to have seen a 35-40 point beatdown.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-26-2013, 08:01 PM
I could have swore we won this game by a comfortable margin. I'll re-check the box score.

HenneZag
01-26-2013, 08:02 PM
We got to put the dagger in. We got beat by 7 in the second half by an inferior team....I know, we still won and were 6-0 and 18-2 on the year, but we have to close out games better.

I will give SF some credit, they hit buckets and have been a team that claws back into games this year, but not at our house...playing in SF is going to be a battle this year.

MDABE80
01-26-2013, 08:04 PM
And Matt's right. We should have kept going. Not sure how many of the starters were in and for how long but it should have been 25 -30 pt win. The defense kept them down but we quit scoring.. That won't do in the NCAA. Sme got cold in the 2nd half. I like the win though.

gamagin
01-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Santangelo said he would like to have seen a 35-40 point beatdown.

too.

MDABE80
01-26-2013, 08:12 PM
too.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330262250

U Zig, I Zag
01-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Obviously in this game it didn't matter (40 mins came and went and it was over). BUT I am a bit concerned about the lack of energy (by the crowd too) when we get up 15-20.

You don't want to hurt guys and you want to plug in different players to build up confidence (never too early to think about next year, if you are the coaches) - but we really need a pedal to the metal game (both halves), IMHO. Minimally I need something cheer about when it gets so eerily quiet in the Kennel.

Kiddwell
01-26-2013, 08:30 PM
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330262250

Rex Walters, in the article, seems to be lobbying for Kelly O to make an early entry into the NBA.

:]

titopoet
01-26-2013, 08:39 PM
I am of opposite of opinion. GU's benched has been under used of late. By working on different lineups and running new sets on offense, you developed different wrinkles for use later down the road when you might need them. By using the second half to try new stuff and get other guys involved, GU got more then if they continues to pore it on. This team is special and polishing all facets before March is better than rubbing it in.

Oregonzagnut
01-26-2013, 08:41 PM
We are showing that we can dominate inside and outside. But we are also showing we cannot dominate the entire game. I think the staff is a little worried about this trend as well. You know it is a concern if Few is talking about it!

''I didn't like the way we finished that game, no,'' Few added. ''I think we let it slip. Especially that last group we had in there. We can't feel good about the lead going from 20 to 14.''

I'm right there with you Mark, so are a lot of fans here.

Worry might be too strong a word because some here think it means obsessing or dreading things. Like to mention a fault means you are a buzzkill or a debbie downer, negative nancy, Wendy Whiner, or a Gloom and doomer. But I take this statement (right from Fews own mouth) that going from 24 pt lead to a 14 pt lead at the end isn't our best ball.

Any bad habits we build now can cost us dearly in the tourney. How our team functions when they have a big lead is something that HAS COST US before in the dance. IMO, as a fan it is OK to say, "This is not a good habit. Consistently letting big leads slip is an issue"

Hoopaholic
01-26-2013, 08:44 PM
I think he is simply stating he expects the bench to produce and be as good as the middle of road wcc starter for rest of league

Oregonzagnut
01-26-2013, 09:18 PM
I think he is simply stating he expects the bench to produce and be as good as the middle of road wcc starter for rest of league

Maybe. I do agree though that that could be one of the many interpretations or inferences. But then he could have said that. He said something else.

He said
"we let it slip. Especially that last group..."

I think he is even more simply stating we are not closing out and finishing off teams like we should. We are losing entire 2nd halves too often. And he isn't differentiating between the bench and the starters. It is the whole team issue. Either way I agree with his statements and I agree with what you think he was saying. Both are probably true. It isn't a knock on the guys, it is about learning and perfecting for the big dance. Who here feels good about going from a 24 pt lead to a 14 pt lead? Few doesn't and he is saying "We can't feel good about it"

Few says:
We can't feel good about the lead going from 20 to 14.

maynard g krebs
01-26-2013, 10:16 PM
Score was 66-43 inside 2 min left. Coaches want perfection for 40 minutes. IMO if any focus was lost it was only in garbage time when USF went on a 9-0 run, not the whole second half. In that sense the 2nd half score is misleading.

It's a game of runs. You could just as easily complain about the slow start, only being up 18-17 early in the game before the 25-4 run ended the game.

Tito makes a good point about playing different combos as well.

And USF made a string of 3's early in the 2nd, KP had a couple 3's rattle out and Bell one, KO missed an alleyoop and a wide open elbow jumper- just stuff that happens.

Defensive effort looked good to me most of the 2nd half. My take is that Few is only complaining about the last 2 minutes when guys were jacking up shots and not playing D, not the whole 2nd half.

mgadfly
01-26-2013, 10:31 PM
This is not a criticism of Few but I'd like us to switch things up at half from time to time. When we have these 20 point leads I'd like us to use a generous substitution pattern in the second half while zone pressing and making the other team work the ball up the court. It costs time to get the ball up the court. It costs energy (we are the deepest team in the WCC so that's good). And it lets us practice the press that we usually only run when we are in a close/tight game and need to generate some buckets.

I also see Few's strategy of playing it safe and doing what worked as very legitimate, and it is one of the reasons he wins so many games and been incredibly successful, but I'd love to see us get aggressive with a lead every now and then.

Birddog
01-27-2013, 03:48 AM
Didn't the Zags go about 5 possessions in a row with nada while USF sank 3 or 4 threes? I think it was about mid way in the 2nd.

bartruff1
01-27-2013, 04:08 AM
Not worried a bit.. actually expected it...

Zag79
01-27-2013, 12:51 PM
This is not a criticism of Few but I'd like us to switch things up at half from time to time. When we have these 20 point leads I'd like us to use a generous substitution pattern in the second half while zone pressing and making the other team work the ball up the court. It costs time to get the ball up the court. It costs energy (we are the deepest team in the WCC so that's good). And it lets us practice the press that we usually only run when we are in a close/tight game and need to generate some buckets.

I also see Few's strategy of playing it safe and doing what worked as very legitimate, and it is one of the reasons he wins so many games and been incredibly successful, but I'd love to see us get aggressive with a lead every now and then.

+1. It's something GU fans have discussed for years, the ability to just keep the foot on the pedal. UCLA is a perfect example, as much as I hate to even talk about that game. There is something in the coaching mentality that affects this, its all too common over the last decade. But like you said, we win a lot and it seems to work more than not.

That being said, last night was a blowout. USF made a few buckets in the final minute or two that didn't affect anything but the final score. I thought our intensity was good thru most of the game, the lack of scoring was simply missed shots in the second half. We could still do anything we wanted, and the game was a beat down the whole time. Great win!

bartruff1
01-27-2013, 01:59 PM
All living things coast...the trick is knowing when...last night was when...

DixieZag
01-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Not very worried about it. We did go through a scoring drought where shots were not falling. Sure it would be nice to pull away and it is something that is emphasized, however sometimes it is far better to work all the players into the line up and get them quality minutes even though their game is not as smooth from lack of experience.

We are fine and I think the season has shown that the team is mentally tough and plays right through. Lapses have not resulted in lost leads this year.

UberZagFan
01-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Those who had GU and the points are very concerned as well. However, those who knew that spread was a bit generous were very pleased GU stepped off the gas and USF went on that run to close it out.

Reborn
01-27-2013, 04:28 PM
I watched the game over this morning and the Zags did fine the second half. Like someone said, they were up by 22 points with under two minutes to go. Zags missed a coupld shots, USF hit 3 3's (they can shoot 3's). USF is not a real bad team and I feel that for GU to have dominated them the way they did was a great team effort.

We will have two tough road games this week. Let's win them.

jim77
01-27-2013, 08:14 PM
I am of opposite of opinion. GU's benched has been under used of late. By working on different lineups and running new sets on offense, you developed different wrinkles for use later down the road when you might need them. By using the second half to try new stuff and get other guys involved, GU got more then if they continues to pore it on. This team is special and polishing all facets before March is better than rubbing it in.

Yup.

We not only need to win...we need to continue to develop our team. I think the continued development of Barham....getting Edi back on his game....and getting Sam back at full speed are vital to getting this team past the first weekend. Few is doing a terrific job of balancing the two.

In an unrelated observation of Saturday's game......GBJ is moving much more fluid now.