PDA

View Full Version : Barham

Section 116
01-26-2013, 07:35 PM
I couldn't take notes of the post game radio show but Giacoletti was very high on Barham after the game. Giacoletti noted USF was leaving the three mostly unguarded as neither Drangannis nor Hart were hitting from the outside. Enter Barham who drained two threes and made USF guard the three which really changed the flow of the game. It was about that time the Zags went on a 25-4 run. Giacoletti said Barham is really understanding the offense now and will be a factor in the final third of the season. He said Barham's confidence is really high after his showing both in Portland and tonight. And the staff also has high confidence in Barham. Barham also contributed three rebounds and a couple steals. In an unrelated note USF coach Rex Walters felt it necessary to knock a clipboard to the floor and berate his team near the end of the first half. The guy is a, well, you know! On another note Harris's mother was in attendance this evening.

ZagsBaby
01-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Yes Barham has been a very nice surprise.

No more Edi and less Dranginis, please.

Hoopaholic
01-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Edi will be an important role as we get closer to march

gamagin
01-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Edi will be an important role as we get closer to march

he was on the bench in street clothes. unsure why and unwilling to read this whole board to see if it's already been mentioned.

Hoopaholic
01-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Slightly sprained ankle

gamagin
01-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Yes Barham has been a very nice surprise. No more Edi and less Dranginis, please.

seeing all these Zags getting p.t. They need it. Dranginis needs to get over his hesitation but he's a shooter. Edi was on the bench in street clothes, fwiw,

roxdoc
01-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Loved Barham's terrific defensive stop in front of the GU bench in the second half. He really swarmed the guy - coaches had a front row seat!

Fonebone
01-26-2013, 09:01 PM
I believe what Giacoletti said was that the staff thought that Barham could take the team "to another level" if he plays well

VinnyZag
01-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Loved Barham's terrific defensive stop in front of the GU bench in the second half. He really swarmed the guy - coaches had a front row seat!

Yes. Barham has defended well, or at least energetically, in the stretches he's been on the floor the past week or so. That. And he's hit some open jumpers. He's actually doing what we spent two years waiting for Umlaut to do.

DixieZag
01-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Coach G also mentioned that Barham was also doing a great job blocking out guys thus allowing other guys easy rebounds.

He really is developing into a rounded player and not so much the pure "shooter".

MickMick
01-26-2013, 10:36 PM
Memphis was loaded with physical specimens. He arrived well practiced.

Appears to have a knack for judging incoming closeouts and passing up looks if he is potentially contested. I believe it comes from having those physical freaks running him off of the line in those Memphis practices.

tempe85
01-27-2013, 02:41 AM
If Barham keeps playing with this kind of energy then it's going to be harder and harder to justify playing Edi, and he might even cut into Hart's minutes. I love his confidence out there. He can really stroke it, and is fearless about letting it fly when he gets an open look.

This could be huge. With teams focused on clogging the lane against us, a guy like Barham could completely change the game.

hooter73
01-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Its nice to see that its finally being admitted that we needed a wing. Amazing.

The coaches invited him here for a reason and he came here for a reason. I am a fan. Edi started off great in the first two or three games but then when Carter on us. Heres hoping he has one last push left but at this point I see DB and Hart getting us farther than KD and GLE.

Reborn
01-27-2013, 07:55 AM
Barham played great last night. GREAT. He was definitely one the bright stars of the game. He has such a beautiful shot. When he's found the touch it's all net. But what impressed me the most is his defense. I was watching him carefully because if he wants to become a steady player off the bench he must play defense. And he never let up once on the defensive end of the court. It was 100% effort the whole time he was out there. And I'm sure it's earning him more time. The team looked really good when he was out there.

In the past few years Gonzaga just has not had a shooter coming in off the bench at the 3. If Barham can do that, the as Coach G says, it'll take the Zags to another level. It still remains to be seen if he can do it against the two toughest teams for the Zags in the conference. So far he has NOT done that in a big game (Butler, BYU).

Personally, I don't think Dranginis has any confidence now in his shooting ability. I haven't seen anything positive on the offensive side of the court. It's kind of sad. I really saw a lot of talent there. But the truth of the matter is that when you're on the court, during a game, that's the time for you to show your confidence. In my opinon Barham is winning that spot (the 3 coming in off the bench).

jazzdelmar
01-27-2013, 08:28 AM
About time. This kid has more CBB experience than Edi and KD combined, has great size and a sweet stroke. Should have been "found" fifteen games ago, even with broken beak. A Barham Hart combo at the three is very promising.

LongIslandZagFan
01-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Its nice to see that its finally being admitted that we needed a wing. Amazing.

The coaches invited him here for a reason and he came here for a reason. I am a fan. Edi started off great in the first two or three games but then when Carter on us. Heres hoping he has one last push left but at this point I see DB and Hart getting us farther than KD and GLE.

Oh, its been said ad naseum here and I highly doubt the coaching staff would disagree. Someone most assuredly needs to step and take that position by the horns.

jazzdelmar
01-27-2013, 08:33 AM
Does Barham have another year?

bigblahla
01-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Yes indeed.

Go!! Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
01-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Yes indeed.

Go!! Zags!!!

Excellent.

allnet59
01-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Who ever plays the three position other the Mike Hart has a short leash. It's the guy who can hit a few open shots when they get the opportunity and still play good on ball defense as well as pull down some rebounds. On to many occasions when Few has started anyone of the three either Kyle, Drew or Guy and they miss an open shot he quickly gets pulled and at player and that can kill their confidence. I hope he gives each one plenty of time during the reat of the conference games to prove themselves. Each one brings something to the table. Barham has great three point ability, Draigs has good dribble penetration ability and Edi can bring it around the rim.

DixieZag
01-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Excellent.

I thought that he only had one year. I thought that he was allowed to play this year b/c he graduated from Memphis in 3 years and this is his senior year?

jazzdelmar
01-27-2013, 09:22 AM
[We have learned that former Memphis redshirt sophomore Drew Barham is the newest member of the Gonzaga Bulldogs. Barham, who will graduate this summer, was in Spokane the past few days and committed while on his visit. Because he plans to graduate this summer, transfer rules state that Barham is eligible for immediate participation which is huge for a team that has now lost three transfers this offseason. Barham has two years of eligibility remaining.

Assume he graduated from Memphis in 3 years and thus has two to play. And assume he redshirted a year at MU.

Birddog
01-27-2013, 09:42 AM
I think Barham's defense has improved a great deal. You can't blame Few for pulling Edi, KD or Barham if they appear cold when they give up so much "D" to Hart. OTOH if you're pulling your weight on "D" like Barham did last night you're going to get extended minutes esp. when you're making shots.

zagamatic
01-27-2013, 09:47 AM
What I'm really hoping for is that with the emergence of Barham, Mike Hart will finally start letting a few more shots fly. I love Hart's game minus the fact that he defers on offense. It's not like he can't shoot, he just simply doesn't

Zag Man
01-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Personally, I don't think Dranginis has any confidence now in his shooting ability. I haven't seen anything positive on the offensive side of the court. It's kind of sad. I really saw a lot of talent there. But the truth of the matter is that when you're on the court, during a game, that's the time for you to show your confidence. In my opinon Barham is winning that spot (the 3 coming in off the bench).

Kyle is just a redshirt-freshman and hasn't really found his role in the offense as of yet. Watching him play, he is obviously a very skilled player and will be a huge factor for the team down the road. He is trying too hard not to make a mistake, rather than playing loosely and letting the game come to him. His best days are definitely ahead for him.

thespywhozaggedme
01-27-2013, 11:52 AM
A consistent 3 point threat from the sf spot would open up everything for our bigs, and allow more penetration for Kevin and GBJIII.

DixieZag
01-27-2013, 12:00 PM
I was wrong. He does have a year of eligibility left after this year.

Gozags.com has him listed as a RJr.

Section 116
01-27-2013, 12:01 PM
That is correct, Dixie. Our only seniors are Harris and Edi. Harris will be a huge loss. Edi not so much. And of course the big unknown is KO!

jim77
01-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Good to see the coaches get Drew more pt. The kid made the most of it. I agree with coach G about taking it to another level. Our bigs are gonna attract a lot of attention and we need to make them pay.....and having a guy with length that can nail a 3 is big. I would love for a guy to come out to Drew...only to have Drew do a head fake and then take it to the hole.....that would screw with the defense even more.

Zag79
01-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Barham has been playing great as of late, and if he can continue that it'll take this team to another level. His defensive intensity has really picked up, and if he can keep knocking down the three's it opens up the floor and gives us another scorer. Nice to see him earning that PT, the three spot has some good competiton brewing late.

allnet59
01-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Kyle is just a redshirt-freshman and hasn't really found his role in the offense as of yet. Watching him play, he is obviously a very skilled player and will be a huge factor for the team down the road. He is trying too hard not to make a mistake, rather than playing loosely and letting the game come to him. His best days are definitely ahead for him.

ZAG man you are spot on with your post. Kyle has all the tools just give him time.

KStyles
01-27-2013, 02:19 PM
That is correct, Dixie. Our only seniors are Harris and Edi. Harris will be a huge loss. Edi not so much. And of course the big unknown is KO!

Michael Hart