• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag 77
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Are Vermillion's Rebound numbers legit?

Elias Harris moved up to #4 on the career rebound list. I might be off by a few for him, but here is what I think his current career numbers look like compared to the others:

Jerry Vermillion (1952-55): 1670
    Gary Lechman (1965-67): 910
    Cory Violette (2001-04): 880
    Elias Harris (2009-12): 870
    Ronny Turiaf (2002-05) 859

Vermillion played 4 seasons, Lechman played 3. The others all played 4. Vermillion played 27 games a season and his career was before GU became Division 1.

If my math is right, that means that Vermillion must have averaged a robust 15.46 rebounds per game. (1670 divided by 4 seasons of 27 games).

I have already confessed I went to law school, not math school. That being said, it seems to me that Vermillion must have played in an era of a flat ball causing a lot of bricks, or his mom was keeping the stat book.

Anybody else think that Vermillion's rebound numbers are a bit suspect?

For point of comparison, Bill Russell is the WCC career rebound leader at 1606 from 1953-56.
  • ZagsBaby
    Banned
    • Jan 2013

Meh. Just a different time.

He probably just had an advantage over the opposition in one way or another that you just don't see anymore.

Comment

• hondo
      Zag for Life
      • May 2009

make you wonder what the shooting percentages were in those days.

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Lechman did very well for being 6 ft 5 in and only two seasons. Ex Military as I recall but he was a tough cookie.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
          Zag for Life
          • Sep 2009

Couple of things come to mind. Lots of shots going up, and more misses to be had. Lower shooting %'s too. Also, fewer big strong guys competing for the ball. In the pros, Wilt and Russell used to average like 25 boards. Thurmond was probably over twenty also. Oscar averaged a triple double for a season playing guard.

Rebounding stats then and now is apples and oranges.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2011

Lechman was 6' 5" but Vermillion was only 6' 4".

Jerry played center for all the opening tip jump balls. He won over 90% of the jump balls too. Apparently his rebounds were a result of his extraordinary skill at jumping. He had almost a 3' vertical leap and could touch the 11' 1" mark.
            “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• mgadfly
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

I don't know, but I came across the Division 1 stats for team freethrows from the 50s one time, and if I remember correctly GU (which was considered to be a horrible FT shooting team in 2010 or whenever it was) would have been #1 in the nation in the 1950s. It might not have been that bad, but I remember being pretty shocked about how poor the FT shooting percentages were for every team. So there may have been a lot more opportunities for players to get rebounds.

Comment

• rijman
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2009

I know someone who played with Jerry and he says Jerry was the real deal. He says Jerry was a great rebounder who could also score. If not for a childhood injury he may have been an even better player.
                It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

• TheZagPhish
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by rijman View Post
                  I know someone who played with Jerry and he says Jerry was the real deal. He says Jerry was a great rebounder who could also score. If not for a childhood injury he may have been an even better player.
                  Some time ago there was a segment on The Mark Few Show featuring Jerry and specifically addressing his record. Though a number of factors had to line up for such a record to be made, no doubt Jerry was the real deal. Humble fellow and a joyful Zag.
                  Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• caduceus
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2007

His numbers are astounding when you consider the fact that there was no shot clock back then.

Comment

• Birddog
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Lechman came out of the Navy. He was not very athletic (by the current definition) and didn't have much in the way of hops but he was a wide body, strong as hell and could box out. It was incredible to watch him outplay all the longer leapers that he was up against.
                      Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                      All mimsy were the borogoves,
                      And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• bartruff1
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by caduceus View Post
                        His numbers are astounding when you consider the fact that there was no shot clock back then.
                        ...different time, different game...I won't look it up...but I think Charlie Jordan averaged around 14 rebounds per game one year and Gonzaga was in D1 then... I think Elgin led the nation one year with 20 or more...

Comment

• RenoZag
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Lechman 's 66-67 Numbers. . .

Check out the detailed 1966-67 Gonzaga Bulldogs Roster and Stats for College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

FWIW: The link above is to a pretty neat searchable site with a ton of data on college hoops along with other major team sports.
                          Last edited by RenoZag; 01-28-2013, 05:25 AM.
                          The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• sittingon50
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Thanks for the stats

Reno.

That shows team totals of 57.7 & 43.1.

This year: GU 36.3 OPP 29.0.

It appears the game has changed.
                            But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Zag Man
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Feb 2010

Lechman was a BEAST!

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                              Lechman did very well for being 6 ft 5 in and only two seasons. Ex Military as I recall but he was a tough cookie.
                              I got to see Gary Lechman play at Gonzaga and he was a great technician on the basketball court. A lot of guys could out-jump Lechman, but he blocked out extremely well and had great hands that really controlled the ball. The fact that Elias Harris is going to end his career with more rebounds than Gary Lechman is a real testimony to what a great rebounder he is!

Comment

Working...
                              X