PDA

View Full Version : We are so fortunate to have Coach Few!

Bogozags
01-26-2013, 12:02 PM
I was watching the South Carolina vs Arkansas game and during the timeout you could see South Carolina's Coach Frank Martin just jump on one of his players for making a mistake. I mean he was no more than a couple of inches from the player's face yelling expletives at this young man. Frank Martin is an arse and he and other's like him should never be allowed to be in a teaching position.

I can't recall Coach Few ever getting in one of GU's players face and yelling at him. It is so obvious that Coach Few has a much better way to "teach" then getting in the face of one of his players and yelling expletives at him!

primal23
01-26-2013, 12:03 PM
I was watching the South Carolina vs Arkansas game and during the timeout you could see South Carolina's Coach Frank Martin just jump on one of his players for making a mistake. I mean he was no more than a couple of inches from the player's face yelling expletives at this young man. Frank Martin is an arse and he and other's like him should never be allowed to be in a teaching position.

I can't recall Coach Few ever getting in one of GU's players face and yelling at him. It is so obvious that Coach Few has a much better way to "teach" then getting in the face of one of his players and yelling expletives at him!

Well I think the only player he could really get in the face of is Stockton, the rest are too tall. :roll:

But I do agree with your post.

TheZagPhish
01-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Frank Martin could use some vacation time in Washington State.

Oregonzagnut
01-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Few is one of the most quiet and unassuming coaches in DivI. He doesn't yell or get animated when our guys mess up. He stays quiet, stares and pulls you from the game.

Not playing and getting Fews "stare of death" is probably more effective than throwing a tantrum and embarrassing your player. Coaches who go off for mistakes during a game need to chill because why cry over spilled milk.
Martin needs to save the tantrums and screaming to practice or off camera. I think it makes Martin look bad or any coach for that matter to publicly embarrass your players.

Things like that might affect future recruiting. What athletes want to be treated like that on national TV.

I hope Few stays for 20 more years.

MDABE80
01-26-2013, 12:23 PM
He's the right guy for this job. Solid and getting better. He's had some real coaching gems this year.

Zag79
01-26-2013, 12:26 PM
He's the right guy for this job. Solid and getting better. He's had some real coaching gems this year.

+1.

VaBeachZAG
01-26-2013, 12:44 PM
I agree with all the positives about Few cited in this thread. But, afterall, he is human. I do recall one time (I think in the Battle in Seattle against Mizzu) when Few was very very upset with a play by Ravio (when he was a freshman) and grabbed him by the front of the jersey while making a point with him. I will say that is the one and only such incident I ever saw from Few. Clearly he has matured over the years, and of course that solid ethical foundation and moral character has always been there with him.

Hoopaholic
01-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Motivation comes in many forms...key to success is knowing each player what motivates them what doesn't motivate , what pisses them off and what makes them cower like whipped puppy....success is finding and using each tool at the appropriate time, manner and depth

rijman
01-26-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm a big fan of Few. His record speaks for itself and he handles himself with a high level of poise and class. One thing i've noticed is Few's not one of those pouty coaches (Calhoun for example) that gives the opposing coach the quickest handshake possible after a loss while rushing off the court. It's easy to be upbeat and friendly after a win, but I respect those who conduct themselves well after a loss, not many are better than Few in this regard, not that he's had to face that many losses winning almost 80% of his games. Few is a class act and in Few I trust.

Zag79
01-26-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm a big fan of Few. His record speaks for itself and he handles himself with a high level of poise and class. One thing i've noticed is Few's not one of those pouty coaches (Calhoun for example) that gives the opposing coach the quickest handshake possible after a loss while rushing off the court. It's easy to be upbeat and friendly after a win, but I respect those who conduct themselves well after a loss, not many are better than Few in this regard, not that he's had to face that many losses winning almost 80% of his games. Few is a class act and in Few I trust.

Great point, I was just saying at the last game how I love that Mark can chew on a ref all night without consequence. He can turn beat red, yell and waive his hands but always does it without getting that T. Safe to say he knows how to work the refs, and to perfection. Totally agree he is classy as they come without a doubt.

zag buddy
01-26-2013, 01:35 PM
He will be better when he can train the refs to know what his stare means.

Bogozags
01-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Motivation comes in many forms...key to success is knowing each player what motivates them what doesn't motivate , what pisses them off and what makes them cower like whipped puppy....success is finding and using each tool at the appropriate time, manner and depth

As a retired teacher, I could NEVER see myself getting in the face of one of my students and yelling at them, let alone yell expletives.

If I was a teacher of your children, would you tolerate it? Parents would be calling the school principal/school district and complaining about my methods.

Coaching isn't "war" where mistakes cost lives! We are talking about a person who is supposed to be teaching young people on how to be responsible and accountable. Lead by example!

This is just his MO...he was the same way at KSU and now he is at South Carolina and he will be the same at his next school.

It just isn't right...

Hoopaholic
01-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Would have no problem now nor in the past if that was what was needed at the right time in the right circumstance.......guess we can agree to disagree that motivation comes in multiple shapes and forms

ZagsBaby
01-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Martin is a dunce.

As for Few, he's not perfect but his numbers speak for themselves. There are some on this board who love to bash him and question him, but at the end of the day, we aren't Duke. We have very limited resources, and the alternative to Mark Few isn't deeper runs in the tournament. The alternative to Mark Few is irrelevancy and mediocrity. In the WCC, no less. yuck

Vanzagger
01-26-2013, 03:47 PM
so you are saying Mark Few is better for Gonzaga than Gonzaga is for Mark Few

Vanzagger
01-26-2013, 04:00 PM
I'll assume other ACC schools have similar resources to Duke. Pre BYU I'll assume other WCC schools have dissimilar resources to the GU.

The Zags have a huge niche. Don't be ashamed. But don't be afraid to let the Big Dog eat either. Get some!

kclubfounder
01-26-2013, 04:06 PM
As a retired teacher, I could NEVER see myself getting in the face of one of my students and yelling at them, let alone yell expletives.

If I was a teacher of your children, would you tolerate it? Parents would be calling the school principal/school district and complaining about my methods.

Coaching isn't "war" where mistakes cost lives! We are talking about a person who is supposed to be teaching young people on how to be responsible and accountable. Lead by example!

This is just his MO...he was the same way at KSU and now he is at South Carolina and he will be the same at his next school.

It just isn't right...

I hear what you are saying. However, to dismiss every loud and "in your face" style of coach is not a good idea.

I'd recommend a book I read a couple years ago, "The Miracle at St. Anthony".

If you read that book I suspect your position on "fire and brimstone" coaches will change.

Fairness and consistency are much more important than the style in which it is doled out - at least in my humble opinion.

RenoZag
01-26-2013, 04:23 PM
He will be better when he can train the refs to know what his stare means.

:cheers:

Mantua
01-26-2013, 06:04 PM
We are fortunate to have a coach like Few in Spokane. We have been in the national spotlight for years now and have learned that he will always be a man of character we can be proud of. That's a big thing to always take for granted and barely think about these days.

GeorgiaZagFan
01-26-2013, 06:15 PM
“praise in public, criticize in private” !!!! Can't remember if it worked for him or not :)

Hoopaholic
01-26-2013, 06:17 PM
He epitomizes zags thru and thru in all aspects and I love him leading our team and representing our community. I personally would take no one else

GeorgiaZagFan
01-26-2013, 06:21 PM
...of course all players are different and what motivates one may not work on another ..so the mission of a truly great coach is this: Discover how each player needs to be motivated and do it while making all players feel like they are being treated the same. I believe coach K does this well.....as does coach Few.