PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Edwards at Glacier

ZagNative
01-26-2013, 08:51 AM
From the Missoulian (http://missoulian.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/prep-boys-basketball-glacier-makes-short-work-of-bengals/article_371cb826-6782-11e2-8f59-001a4bcf887a.html):
KALISPELL – No. 1 and still rolling is Kalispell Glacier, which rode 13 points each from Matt Peters and Ryan Edwards to a 61-32 boys’ basketball win over Helena High on Friday.

Edwards, a 6-foot-11 senior, also grabbed nine rebounds as the Wolfpack improved to 3-0 in Western AA games and 10-1 overall.

Glacier held Helena to 23 percent shooting (10-44).

VaBeachZAG
01-26-2013, 09:01 AM
So, what's going on in Montana? Is the cold winter weather causing Edwards to shrink? He was 7 feet, now he's 6' 11"????

Birddog
01-26-2013, 10:20 AM
So, what's going on in Montana? Is the cold winter weather causing Edwards to shrink? He was 7 feet, now he's 6' 11"????

Don't worry, he'll be back to 7' when the Huckleberries are ripe.

teacher56
01-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Are you kidding...we pick and freeze our huckleberries over here in Montana.
So we can eat them with our pancakes.

Don't worry, he'll be back to 7' when the Huckleberries are ripe.

Birddog
01-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Isn't Summer in Montana the 2 or 3 weeks when the Huckleberries are ripe? I was thinking more like in the hot Montana Summer Edwards would expand as opposed to the obvious contraction that is taking place in the Montana Winter. This is making me jones for some Huckleberry pie and ice cream.

FlatheadZag
01-26-2013, 10:38 AM
I was at the game last night. Glacier has a fun team to watch with very quick guards. It basically 4 guards and Edwards. They press constantly on defense and get out on the break with many easy transition points. Edwards had a decent game. He'll have his work cut out for him at Gonzaga, athletically speaking. A redshirt year and we'll see what coaching up will do for him. Kind of surprised that he didn't end up in Missoula.

Zagtana
01-26-2013, 12:54 PM
A personal favorite here in Montana - huckleberry tacos. Yum, tangy!

ZagNative
01-27-2013, 02:28 PM
More nice stats for Ryan, with 21 points and 8 rebounds in Glacier's loss to Helena Capital, 58-52. From the Daily Interlake (http://www.dailyinterlake.com/sports/local_montana/article_71581bcc-684d-11e2-a317-0019bb2963f4.html):
Capital stuns No. 1 Glacier

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NBhlyATjFCU/UQW0ICGbo6I/AAAAAAABYgs/uVoveA7A974/s512/2013-01-26%2520Ryan%2520Edwards%2520Helena.jpg

Helena Capital's Carson Dummer (42) shoots over Glacier's Ryan Edwards on Saturday afternoon at Glacier High School
“We came out and didn’t execute,” Edwards said.

“We didn’t hedge ball screens, we didn’t work hard on defense. In the second half we went out there and got after them. We came up a little bit short. So next time we’ll have to do that the entire game.”

Edwards finished with a game-high 21 points and eight rebounds.

Ryan was 9-12 shooting and 3-6 from the free-throw line.

ZagNative
01-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Glacier plays at Flathead tonight, for those in the area who want to catch Ryan in action. From the Daily Interlake (http://www.dailyinterlake.com/sports/local_montana/article_0ce64a6a-69d8-11e2-9b4d-0019bb2963f4.html):
Flathead’s gym will be rockin’ for first crosstown basketball game of season

The Glacier boys (10-2 overall, 3-1 Western AA) lead the all-time crosstown series 7-5 and are ranked No.1 in the Class AA Associated Press poll, but they’ll have to refocus after being handed their first conference loss to Helena Capital on Saturday.

Despite that loss, Flathead boys coach Fred Febach said he considers Glacier the best team in the state.

“They’re the team to beat,” he said. “They’ll be the toughest team we have faced, although Capital is pretty good too.”

The Wolfpack feature a 7-foot center in senior Ryan Edwards, who has signed a letter-of-intent to play college basketball at Gonzaga, and a plethora of quick, athletic guards and wings, making them an opposing coach’s nightmare. When asked what concerns him the most about Glacier’s squad, Febach said, “What doesn’t concern me I think is the better question. They’ve got the big kid in the middle and he changes virtually everything. You don’t run up against 7-footers in Montana very often, so he certainly changes the game, but he’s surrounded by some awfully good, talented players that can run and score and play defense.”

Despite being hobbled by an ankle injury earlier this season, Edwards is Glacier’s leading scorer and rebounder, averaging 13.1 points and 7.6 rebounds. Point guard Evan Epperly also averages double-figures with 10.8 points and fellow starters Matt Peters, Logan Iverson and Kyle Griffith contribute to Glacier’s balanced offense with averages of 9.3, 8.8 and 8.0 points, respectively.

tinfoilzag
01-29-2013, 02:06 PM
“A lot of teams are looking for those 7-footers, and for some reason they have a few of them,” “They have them just laying around down there.”

ZagNative
01-29-2013, 07:05 PM
From Twitter during tonight's game:
Joe Terry ‏@joseph_terry

[Edwards] having a big game on D. Three blocks by my count in the 1st half so far. In foul trouble though.

ZagNative
01-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Another tweet. Hoping for Ryan's stat line soon.
Joe Terry ‏@joseph_terry

No. 1 Glacier boys beat Flathead, 57-43.

Joe Terry ‏@joseph_terry

Glacier now in a three-way tie for first place in Western AA at 4-1. Tied with Capital, Hellgate. Wolfpack plays at Hellgate on Friday.

ZagNative
01-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Stat wrap-up:
Joe Terry ‏@joseph_terry

Kyle Griffith finishes w/ 15 pts for Glacier, Logan Iverson had 13 and Ryan Edwards scores 10 w/ 6 reb. Garth West had 14 pts for Flathead.

ZagsGoZags
01-29-2013, 08:20 PM
I hope he keeps working with his conditioning trainer ...
Big guys that naturally tend toward chub can really see their game drop if they aren't careful. Josh Smith comes to mind, and I hope PK keeps adding muscle and losing softness.

Zagdawg
01-29-2013, 08:24 PM
I can see Edwards and Big K working out together with the trainer and in the gym and push and help each other reach their potential next year.

hooter73
01-29-2013, 08:36 PM
10 and 6 huh?

sigh.

CanadianZagFan
01-30-2013, 03:00 AM
10 and 6 huh?

sigh.

The team only scored 57, I don't know what people expect all the time. Sometimes you need to recruit 4-5 year guys to keep a roster balanced, you can't get studs all the time.

DixieZag
01-30-2013, 05:30 AM
I wish the best for this kid but I doubt that is the type to come in and help next year - those are special.

I hope that Tommy has something up his sleeve in Europe. Another Elias would work just fine.

zag67
01-30-2013, 05:35 AM
Also remember as far as mobility, he is playing tennis. That might not help immediately but it should help in the long run

thespywhozaggedme
01-30-2013, 06:20 AM
The team only scored 57, I don't know what people expect all the time. Sometimes you need to recruit 4-5 year guys to keep a roster balanced, you can't get studs all the time.

Yet, he's 7 foot, 300lbs and was the FOURTH leading scorer in the game. If he can't domionate Montana high school bball than he's the epitome of a project.

Birddog
01-30-2013, 06:28 AM
Yet, he's 7 foot, 300lbs and was the FOURTH leading scorer in the game. If he can't domionate Montana high school bball than he's the epitome of a project.
This proclamation is based on your observation where?
Careful there Spy, you're getting close to dooshey.

Angelo Roncalli
01-30-2013, 06:44 AM

Close?

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-30-2013, 07:13 AM
Edwards and Meikle both look like they're at least a couple of years away from being physically ready to play at the Division I level. I've heard good things about Edwards's work habits that would suggest he'll likely muscle up in a couple of years, but I just don't see how either of those kids is going to be ready to be the fourth big man for next year's team (or third big man if K.O. decides to leave for the NBA draft after this season). They're both probably going to need to redshirt to get stronger before they see the floor.

Coach Few needs to find a body that that has instant eligibility, size, and the ability to contribute meaningful minutes for next year. I agree that the Euro route or JUCO routes may be the only avenues available at this late stage in the recruiting cycle.

U Zig, I Zag
01-30-2013, 07:44 AM
I hate the word 'project' since these are HS kids and not hobbies. But I will use it here. Clearly Few and Co are bringing this kid in as a project. If his feet move quickly and he can catch a ball over and over and over repeatedly w/o much effort than they can mold him into a solid contributor.

We had 5 years of Rob who had trouble with even catching the ball at times. If this kid will put in the effort they can probably make something out of him. If anything he can come in to be a big body for short bursts for 4 years as well as acting as the 'bad guy' big in practice.

Zagdawg
01-30-2013, 08:29 AM
I'll trust in the coaches training regime based upon the results that we have seen with Kellys redshirt year (I understand Kelly has a different tool kit than Ryan--but they both have their strengths).

Big K and Edwards will only make each other better as they train together.

I am confident the coaching staff is exploring the necessary options that are available to ensure that they minimize the effect that we will feel if Kelly jumps to the NBA early-- and if he does not jump-- what are we going to do with all of the HYPE around the Zags next year? :)

BobZag
01-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Meanwhile, U-High's 6'6" scorer deluxe Brett Bailey breaks the GSL single-game scorering record (set in 1971) with 47 points last night. Like Joe Harris, Brett is obviously not good enough for Gonzaga, or not far enough away to be mysterious like Keita.

Zagdawg
01-30-2013, 09:31 AM
2* Didn't he commit to San Diego after his sophomore year in 2011?

ZagNative
01-30-2013, 09:38 AM
Didn't he commit to San Diego after his sophomore year in 2011?I don't know when he verbaled, but he signed his LOI last November.

Whatever. I'm done posting updates about Edwards and Meikle. Too much pissing and moaning about them here on guboards, and I feel bad for the kids. It just takes the fun out of it.

NEC26
01-30-2013, 09:50 AM
I for one like the updates as I usually don't have the time to hunt down the info myself. Edwards may not be an instant impact guy but I think this staff is more than capable of getting him to be that impact player. Not everyone is going to be a Mcdonalds AA. I do wish we had Joe Harris though. He would really be the 3 this team needs. Although I like seeing Barham starting to step into that role.

cjm720
01-30-2013, 09:51 AM
I don't know when he verbaled, but he signed his LOI last November.

Whatever. I'm done posting updates about Edwards and Meikle. Too much pissing and moaning about them here on guboards, and I feel bad for the kids. It just takes the fun out of it.

Sorry to hear that ZN but you are right. Nothing like a bunch of people that have never coached to belittle our future players. Quite pathetic....reminds me of the Vander Blue story.

Radbooks
01-30-2013, 10:49 AM

I always enjoy reading about the new guys coming in, but I totally understand why you don't want to do it anymore. The negative remarks about these two high school kids have really saddened me too.

thespywhozaggedme
01-30-2013, 11:01 AM

Do I need to observe a 7 foot 300 lb highschool center from Montana that is not dominating his league to acknowledge that he will be a long term project? Sorry interent tough guy, we all can't be as cool as you. :boxing:

thespywhozaggedme
01-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Close?

What did I ever do to you? Hostess goes outta business and everyones a crab.

thespywhozaggedme
01-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Sorry to hear that ZN but you are right. Nothing like a bunch of people that have never coached to belittle our future players. Quite pathetic....reminds me of the Vander Blue story.

Who here belittled them? Specifics please.

sittingon50
01-30-2013, 11:20 AM
that's what E got vs Okla. St. 4th on the team. He should be dominating. Has project written all over him.

Native, please keep posting the info you dig up. Refer to my signature line when getting upset.

Worthington
01-30-2013, 11:41 AM
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit underwhelmed with Edwards numbers up to this point. I don't think it's wrong or offensive to call a kid a project or say that he needs some work, but I've seen some posts that go a bit farther than that. Even if the stats aren't where we would like them to be right now, it's very easy to see what the staff likes about the kid. Like others have said, not every kid is recruited to come make a big impact right away or even to be a star. Edwards is a giant with some unique talents, I bet the coaching staff can't wait to get their hands on him and see what they can make of him. Keep the updates coming ZN!

zag buddy
01-30-2013, 11:42 AM
We had a great guard player one time and in a certain game the other coach said "We were guarding him with 4 players and I just couldn't bring myseft to put the entire team on him." You never know in high school what the opposing coaches are doing to stop that player.

hooter73
01-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Its not that were not supporting them, everyone wants the best for the recruits one and all. Its just that we supported Keita and Hyland and others, even when its obviously a desperation/panic recruit or a head scratcher that made us wonder who we were not being considered by anymore once we got those unknowns signed on. And then they dont work out or are unhappy or stay the course with their single digit numbers. I think we are trying to trend upward, not start racing with our eyes closed again. We dont want history repeating and so far, the writing is on the wall... again.

I for one think LM will be a good wing player for us. His and Edwards numbers are undeniable though. Big practice players are not needed as much these days as the majority of our competition is against athletic forward/center combos. Not 300 ponder throwbacks. Not that we cant utilize them ourselves.

I know this all sounds negative but really seeing kids like Poling, Gibbs, Manny, et al leave due to playing time or not quite grasping the style or whatever, you hate to see a kid go through that.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-30-2013, 11:47 AM

I enjoy the updates on these kids, but I can see why you don't like doing it. These kids are taking a beating on this board for no fault of their own. We grownups ought to take a breath before we publicly criticize high school kids because we don't like what we see in their box scores.

DixieZag
01-30-2013, 11:47 AM
I looked over the comments and none are derogatory per se, I noted that it doesn't seem like he was the type to come in and help next year - but also said that those ones are "special" as in - not in the norm, the same could have been said about KO who needed an RS to get minutes.

I think he will be fine as he developes and really appreciate the posts.

sonuvazag
01-30-2013, 11:56 AM

That's too bad. I'm excited about Edwards and enjoy the updates. Who knows if the other players are getting easier scoring looks because of the defensive attention being paid to Edwards. His team is number one in his state and most people seem to think he's the reason.

Angelo Roncalli
01-30-2013, 12:33 PM
What did I ever do to you? Hostess goes outta business and everyones a crab.

Body of work.

thespywhozaggedme
01-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Body of work.

Craig James, Mark May?

zaguarxj
01-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Ah, remember the good old days, when so many people were saying that KO's numbers didn't mean anything because they were against Canadian competition?

Zagdawg
01-30-2013, 12:44 PM
I think the numbers were just discounted at the .70% exchange rate. :)

SteelZag
01-30-2013, 12:49 PM
I'll take a 7' player any day.

I remember James Donaldson from WSU could barely walk and chew gum his freshman year. Had a 14 year career in NBA.

Here are some quotes from Grizzly forum

How many 7 footers with potential should we sign? We got a new one from Wyoming. Should we just sign 4 or 5 of them and pray that one develops? A kid can either play, or not play at this level. I have been told that this kid is not a Div. I player. Not me talking, but someone within the Montana high school coaching ranks whom I respect.

Not me talking, but a college coach named Mark Few disagrees, and thinks he is a D1 player. Thanks for the inside information from a high school coach whom you respect, though. I trust your insider information on talent much more so than a coach who has sent seven guys to the NBA

zaguarxj
01-30-2013, 12:59 PM
I think the numbers were just discounted at the .70% exchange rate. :)They were in metric.

titopoet
01-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Can we bookmark this? There was so much moan and groaning about Kelly just last year that when he is starting to shine, there should be a whole lot more crowing eating. Those that said Kelly was never going to be anything have somehow forgotten their older opinions. I think Edwards will have some limited minutes backing Karno, but he will have good career here at GU. He seems to work hard and get the hard work it will take to get better.

But think of fun he will have making the doubters eat crow just like Kelly.

Baldwinzag
01-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Meanwhile, U-High's 6'6" scorer deluxe Brett Bailey breaks the GSL single-game scorering record (set in 1971) with 47 points last night. Like Joe Harris, Brett is obviously not good enough for Gonzaga, or not far enough away to be mysterious like Keita.

+1

The mysterious recruit from outta town seems to be more intriguing than the reliable recruit next door.

Isn't Bailey headed to USD?

OT: Speaking of Keita, he's currently averaging 14.5 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 3.4 apg for IUP. Shooting 35% from 3pt and 48% FG. (he did put up 17 & 7 vs Pitt, 16 & 5 vs Maryland) fwiw. IUP is a DII school, yet he's rec playing time and putting up good #'s.

Zagdawg
01-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Bailey committed early to SD after his sophomore year.

"Part of the draw to USD is Southern California, where Bailey has lived two different times in his life and where his older brother, Kyle, plays basketball for BIOLA. His father said Gonzaga, Washington State and Stanford also showed interest."

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/jul/08/usd-basketball-gets-commitment-2013/

maynard g krebs
01-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Saw Bailey v Lake Washington last March. Didn't stand out then. Not in the same league as S Prep's DJ Fenner or the kid who changed his name from Lexing and is going to Colorado, as Wa. wings go. More on the level of Jason Todd from Jackson at that time imo.

Must have improved a ton over the summer if he's good enough to be compared to Harris.

Birddog
01-31-2013, 03:47 AM
Spy, you wrote:
Yet, he's 7 foot, 300lbs and was the FOURTH leading scorer in the game. If he can't domionate Montana high school bball than he's the epitome of a project. Bolding yours, italics mine

Then you asked:
Do I need to observe a 7 foot 300 lb highschool center from Montana that is not dominating his league to acknowledge that he will be a long term project?
My reply to that question is YES, IMO you do need to observe, perusing some box scores is not sufficient to make that statement.
Then you asked:
Who here belittled them? Specifics please.
I would reply that you were the first on this thread (see my italics in the first quote):
be·lit·tle
/biˈlitl/
Verb
Make (someone or something) seem unimportant: "this is not to belittle his role".
Synonyms
depreciate - disparage - minimize - lessen

We would all do well to try and keep in mind that the PSA and their friends and relatives probably read this board from time to time. If you Spy, had said, "it looks like he'll need a redshirt year", I would have had no problem, but you declared Edwards to obviously be a "long term project". Who knows, you might prove to be right. I am just suggesting that your resources were inadequate and your assessment was probably over the top and IMO uncalled for here. Spy, you have for as long as I can remember tried to be "edgey" and "you heard it here first" in many of your posts. I just hope you are as wrong about Edwards as you were about Bol Kong. That was you who persistently touted him wasn't it?

thespywhozaggedme
01-31-2013, 05:36 AM
Spy, you wrote: Bolding yours, italics mine

Then you asked:
My reply to that question is YES, IMO you do need to observe, perusing some box scores is not sufficient to make that statement.
Then you asked:
I would reply that you were the first on this thread (see my italics in the first quote):

We would all do well to try and keep in mind that the PSA and their friends and relatives probably read this board from time to time. If you Spy, had said, "it looks like he'll need a redshirt year", I would have had no problem, but you declared Edwards to obviously be a "long term project". Who knows, you might prove to be right. I am just suggesting that your resources were inadequate and your assessment was probably over the top and IMO uncalled for here. Spy, you have for as long as I can remember tried to be "edgey" and "you heard it here first" in many of your posts. I just hope you are as wrong about Edwards as you were about Bol Kong. That was you who persistently touted him wasn't it?

You appear to be under the impression that I don't admit when I am wrong. I'm married; I wake up wrong.

Back to Edwards, how is calling a long term project, a long term project belittleing? Kelly was a long term project and now he may be a lottery pick. The point was if anyone expects him to come in right away and contribute to a top 10 program in the nation when he isn't even dominating Montana highschool bball, then they have unrealistic expectations. I'm still not sure what I said that got you so upset, but my apologies, nonetheless.

A to Zags
01-31-2013, 06:17 AM
You appear to be under the impression that I don't admit when I am wrong. I'm married; I wake up wrong.

Back to Edwards, how is calling a long term project, a long term project belittleing? Kelly was a long term project and now he may be a lottery pick. The point was if anyone expects him to come in right away and contribute to a top 10 program in the nation when he isn't even dominating Montana highschool bball, then they have unrealistic expectations. I'm still not sure what I said that got you so upset, but my apologies, nonetheless.

I don't take sides in this discussion as I enjoy all opinions. I just don't recall Kelly being labeled a long term project. His first year I recall coach Few commenting on the teams success that season being related, among other things, to how rapidly Kelly might adapt to this level. I felt the staff was hoping for fairly immediate contributions. I'm married too and understand being wrong..great line!:roll

GrizZAG
01-31-2013, 07:44 AM
Anybody here old enough to remember a guy named Mike Lewis who played for Missoula County High School? He and his brother Gene were big guys.
Gene played for my high school (Hellgate) a couple of years behind Mike.

Mike did play for the State Champion Spartans in 1964 but was not the dominant scorer on that team. He was picked up by Duke and played several years in NBA, not sure how many. He was not a D-1 looking prospect early on but obviously became something special. Somebody at Duke saw something special. Let's hope Mr. Edwards is another Mike Lewis.
I am biased of course, but Montana natives in general have a great work ethic.
FWIW

Really looking forward to Ryan coming in.

BTB
01-31-2013, 08:28 AM
I am biased of course, but Montana natives in general have a great work ethic.
FWIW

That they do, I go to UM and I can generally tell within a few minutes of meeting someone whether they grew up in Montana or elsewhere (not always, but generally).

Anyways, I'm sure Ryan will end up being a good player for the Zags, hopefully not next year though (because I'm hopeful KO will stick around and we won't need him)!

A to Zags
01-31-2013, 09:59 AM
That they do, I go to UM and I can generally tell within a few minutes of meeting someone whether they grew up in Montana or elsewhere (not always, but generally).

Anyways, I'm sure Ryan will end up being a good player for the Zags, hopefully not next year though (because I'm hopeful KO will stick around and we won't need him)!

I hope no one brings up Ryan Leaf in this discussion..:cheers:

BobZag
01-31-2013, 10:10 AM
I can see Edwards being in the mold of a John Bryant from Santa Clara a few years back. There are 13 scholies. Few can't play all 13 in every game. A typical rotation is anywhere from 7 to 9 players. Therefore, one can assume a redshirt year + another year or two = John Bryant type. By then, Edwards would be in that main rotation. This is a good case scenario and hoping it plays out similarly.

ZagsObserver
01-31-2013, 11:31 AM
Edwards has the physical tools to be a great player for the Zags down the road. However, he is raw and is a project. In many ways he's the opposite of what Sacre was when he first arrived with the Zags. They're both big, obvoiusly, and their offensive games in the post (in year 1 for Sacre, year -1 for Edwards) are limited. That's where the similarities end, though. Edwards has good hands, Sacre had poor hands. Sacre was aggressive, Edwards is not particularly aggressive in the post. Sacre was in relatively good shape, Edwards is not in good shape. Fortunately, these are all things that he can work on. If you've seriously watched Edwards (not just a couple highlight vids) you'd be foolish to expect him to have any meaningful contribution in his first year with the Zags. It could happen, but to expect that would just be silliness.

gamagin
01-31-2013, 01:34 PM
or KO plus SD & PK. Bigs teaching bigs. What a deal ! He'll know where he stands and if he can keep up and keep working, who knows good he can get ?

It's all about taking the natural advantages coming in and filling in the holes with hard work and time. The table just keeps getting re set.

Zagdawg
01-31-2013, 03:31 PM
Edwards has one thing in his favor that KO does not......tennis.

The hand eye coordination and footspeed that tennis can help with for Edwards is huge.

I can see Edwards putting up a few Aces his freshman year....due to the tennis skills he possesses.

Imagine that mountain of a man rushing the net on you.....where are you going to put it-- can't lob him....can put it around him.......CRAZY!

It's all about the tennis baby!!!!

;) :)

Ezag
01-31-2013, 03:45 PM
I also heard Edwards is big into yoga...that can only help

WallaWallaZag
01-31-2013, 04:15 PM

maybe it's not so much being able to admit you're wrong as much as why you are putting yourself in the position to be wrong in the first place...as far as i know, you are basing your opinion on a couple of box scores. i think everyone can agree that the numbers aren't exactly what we would like to see, but without firsthand knowledge, to proclaim someone to be the epitome of a long-term project comes across as being over the top. maybe that's what he is, but i don't know that and i don't think you know that based on a couple box scores.

thespywhozaggedme
01-31-2013, 05:50 PM
maybe it's not so much being able to admit you're wrong as much as why you are putting yourself in the position to be wrong in the first place...as far as i know, you are basing your opinion on a couple of box scores. i think everyone can agree that the numbers aren't exactly what we would like to see, but without firsthand knowledge, to proclaim someone to be the epitome of a long-term project comes across as being over the top. maybe that's what he is, but i don't know that and i don't think you know that based on a couple box scores.

Okay, then I'll turn it around back to you: Do you think that a 7foot 300lb center that is not in any, way, shape or form dominating Montana high school basketball is ready to come in right away and contribute to a top 10 national powerhouse?

sittingon50
01-31-2013, 06:06 PM
He's pacing himself, Spy.

;)

Norcalzag
01-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Grizzag's reference to Mike Lewis brings back boyhood memories. I saw Lewis play many, many games for MCHS and was in grade school when he led the Spartans to back-to-back undefeated seasons in 1962-63 and 1963-64. His teammates were good (classmate Greg Hanson was all-state and went on to play for UM), but make no mistake, Lewis was the undisputed star of those great teams. Check the all-time Montana High School Association records and you will see that Lewis still is listed twice in the MHSA's top 10 single-season scoring totals (882 points as a senior and 759 points as a junior). None of his teammates is today listed in those scoring records. Lewis, who was a muscular 6-foot-7, was heavily-recruited as a high school played and indeed did go on to have a fine career at Duke (where he was known as the "Missoula Mule") and later played several years in the ABA.

hooter73
01-31-2013, 06:41 PM
lol @ pacing himself.

If he and Karno develop that deep aggressive attitude then I'll be happy. too often I see big guys that dont have the attitude to match because their size always did it for them in HS, then suddenly youre playing against guys who arent intimidated...

and for the record, Yoga kicks my butt every time.

sonuvazag
01-31-2013, 07:14 PM
He attempted only six field goals, made four. He made both free throw attempts. He could have only scored 14 points with 100% shooting.

23dpg
02-01-2013, 09:21 PM
http://missoulian.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/hellgate-boys-take-down-no-wolfpack/article_af65c7c6-6c3e-11e2-b68f-001a4bcf887a.html

I was looking for something more encouraging but it is what it is.

sittingon50
02-01-2013, 09:57 PM
5-6.

hondo
02-01-2013, 10:33 PM
BTW Tres Tinkle, star of this game is the brother of Lady Zag hooper Elle Tinkle. My bet is that Tres becomes a high profile recruit.

Baseline
02-01-2013, 10:33 PM
My brother saw Ryan play and he said he has great potential. He lets the game come to him and isn't very aggressive in hunting a shot, that's his biggest drawback. He said the team didn't go out of their way to feed him so there was not too many opportunities to put up the points.
Good hands and foot movement and signes he could be made a scorer.
He needs attitude, but not many kids in high school have that.

kyle dixon
02-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Put on your azz hat!

WallaWallaZag
02-02-2013, 08:32 AM
Okay, then I'll turn it around back to you: Do you think that a 7foot 300lb center that is not in any, way, shape or form dominating Montana high school basketball is ready to come in right away and contribute to a top 10 national powerhouse?

no...but that wouldn't lead me to go on a public forum and call him the epitome of a long-term project either. like others have noted, guess it's about the way the message comes across.

MTZag03
02-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Our coaches have a plan plain and simple. They know the minutes available and roughly when to expect playing time out of players. Sure, Edwards and Miekle aren't 5 star recruits, but who cares? They will play and contribute. The coaches will make the best out of them. Remember that Morrison was not a high level recruit too so you never know. I'll take kids with a strong work ethic, a desire to play for the zags, a team mentality, height, and some obvious talent any day.

FlatheadZag
02-02-2013, 09:00 AM
U of M head coach Wayne Tinkle's son may be the best prospect coming out of Montana. Tres is only a soph and putting some some impressive numbers at Missoula Hellgate. Wayne's daughters can certainly play. Joselyn starts at Stanford and Elle, of course is a Lady Zag.

Ekrub
02-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Our coaches have a plan plain and simple. They know the minutes available and roughly when to expect playing time out of players. Sure, Edwards and Miekle aren't 5 star recruits, but who cares? They will play and contribute. The coaches will make the best out of them. Remember that Morrison was not a high level recruit too so you never know. I'll take kids with a strong work ethic, a desire to play for the zags, a team mentality, height, and some obvious talent any day.

Morrison wasn't a high level recruit because he committed to us so early.

I think mielke and Edwards will be fine. We still need to adress our lack of bigs the year after next. Not saying that they won't be contributors but I'd like to see some studs come in for Pangos and Bells senior season

thespywhozaggedme
02-02-2013, 09:44 AM
no...but that wouldn't lead me to go on a public forum and call him the epitome of a long-term project either. like others have noted, guess it's about the way the message comes across.

This isn't a public forum, this is a Gonzaga fan site that you have to register to join. I just don't get what's so bad a bout calling a long term project a long term project. Not everyone is a blue chipper.

gamagin
02-02-2013, 09:52 AM
U of M head coach Wayne Tinkle's son may be the best prospect coming out of Montana. Tres is only a soph and putting some some impressive numbers at Missoula Hellgate. Wayne's daughters can certainly play. Joselyn starts at Stanford and Elle, of course is a Lady Zag.

I met Wayne Tinkle's sister at the GU-LMU gals game. Naturally, I asked her THE pressing question on everyone's mind.

"Is that really your last name, or was it shortened somewhere along the way?"

She pondered my question (or perhaps thought about whether to punch me in the nose or the throat) for about three second and then said: "It's Dutch. We think it used to be Von Tinkle (pronounced tink ELL)."

Then she excused herself, saying she had "to go."

I don't think the pun was intended.

Sorry, Hondo.

Birddog
02-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Here ya go Spy
http://images.wikia.com/walkingdead/images/f/f4/Shovel.jpg

azzagfan
02-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Saw Bailey v Lake Washington last March. Didn't stand out then. Not in the same league as S Prep's DJ Fenner or the kid who changed his name from Lexing and is going to Colorado, as Wa. wings go. More on the level of Jason Todd from Jackson at that time imo.

Must have improved a ton over the summer if he's good enough to be compared to Harris.

Bailey was 1st team all state as a junior, and was largely considered one of the top 5 players in the state going into this season. I think the Zags probably got in on him too late, and I sincerely doubt Few would try to poach one of Grier's commits.

I had the same feeling when I watched Bailey earlier this season that Few expressed when mentioning the recruitment of Morrison. He didn't do anything over the top, so I shrugged my shoulders, but when they read out the leading scorers, he had over 30. Billy got himself a good recruit down at USD.

GoZags
02-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Spy and I first clashed when he mercilessly berated 7'1" New Zealand transfer Calum MacLeod because Calum wasn't living up to his expectations on the court. For whatever reason Calum eventually transferred out of GU. That is what I thought about when I first read the big capitalized and bolded FOURTH leading scorer in a Montana high school game line. I called Spy out on his berating of Calum (and that's when Spy first observed how mean I am and questioned my relationship with my late Mother). I see that ihe has started already with one of our PSAs who, from all accounts is a great kid who will fit extemely well with OUR Gonzaga family.

I guess this is part of the deal when our program goes National in scope and there's an Internet site to dissect every aspect of GU hoops.

I say good luck to Ryan and that I (along with many many others) are looking forward to his arrival on campus.

Spy, you wrote: Bolding yours, italics mine

Then you asked:
Then you asked:

zag buddy
02-02-2013, 12:16 PM
I agree