PDA

View Full Version : Bardo's WCC team

jazzdelmar
01-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Agree on 4 spots but wd prefer Gathers or Ammo over Ainge, NBA career notwithstanding.

Ekrub
01-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Agree on 4 spots but wd prefer Gathers or Ammo over Ainge, NBA career notwithstanding.

Yeah, you can't add players that never played in the WCC on an all-WCC team.

UberZagFan
01-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Agree with jazz. Sometimes these college lists take into consideration too much of the player's post college career. Bardo was likely appeasing to the BYU audience when he included Ainge.

BobZag
01-25-2013, 03:41 PM

What's his team?

jazzdelmar
01-25-2013, 03:47 PM
What's his team?

William Felton Russell, DJ, Ainge, Nashie and Stocks....three C's.

UberZagFan
01-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Three C's?

jake
01-25-2013, 04:09 PM
Dennis Johnson played one year at Pepperdine, averaged 15 a game, and wasn't even the league player of the year. I know what he did in the NBA, but I don't see how he has any place on an all-WCC team. Ainge was a first-team All-American and won the Wooden Award. I wouldn't put someone on the all-WCC when it was 20 years before their school joined the league.

Of course, Bardo's team really doesn't mean anything, but it is fun to discuss. I would have put Morrison and/or Cartwright and Gathers on the team.

jazzdelmar
01-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Three C's?

Celtics.

maynard g krebs
01-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Bardo's team isn't about the WCC, it's WCC players in the NBA. For WCC play Adam and Gathers are ahead of some of those guys. (Probably others, I'm no WCC historian). Adam was co-national POY. None of those guards hit Adam's level as college players.

UberZagFan
01-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Celtics.

Oh. Uber still thinks of DJ as a Sonic.

jake
01-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Bardo's team isn't about the WCC, it's WCC players in the NBA. For WCC play Adam and Gathers are ahead of some of those guys. (Probably others, I'm no WCC historian). Adam was co-national POY. None of those guards hit Adam's level as college players.

If that's the criteria those picks are probably solid, but I would at least partially base anything called a WCC all-anything team on what they did in the WCC. If its an all-WCC team based on what they did in the NBA, those might be the five guys. Whatever the team is called, I just have a hard time having a guy that played one year in the league and wasn't player of the year on the team.

Zag79
01-25-2013, 06:03 PM
If that's the criteria those picks are probably solid, but I would at least partially base anything called a WCC all-anything team on what they did in the WCC. If its an all-WCC team based on what they did in the NBA, those might be the five guys. Whatever the team is called, I just have a hard time having a guy that played one year in the league and wasn't player of the year on the team.

Totally agree. To be honest, I wouldn't even have John Stockton on that list if you're not including the NBA. Guess that's why it was Bardo's list. :D

UT-Zag
01-25-2013, 06:41 PM
You should live in Utah.......they think Jimmer should be in there as well especially since Morrision was there. I just said hey Adam has more rings riding pine than Jimmer will ever have......they don't like me much around here.

RenoZag
01-25-2013, 07:00 PM
you should live in utah.......they think jimmer should be in there as well especially since morrision was there. I just said hey adam has more rings riding pine than jimmer will ever have......they don't like me much around here.

welcome !

CDC84
01-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Dickau deserves some consideration. The WCC hasn't had too many consensus first team All Americans.

Club Prez
01-25-2013, 10:09 PM
To be honest, I wouldn't even have John Stockton on that list if you're not including the NBA. Guess that's why it was Bardo's list. :D

Actually if you saw John Stockton play his senior season, you would probably at least consider it. WCC MVP. Lead league in scoring and assists. MVP of Far West Classic, even though GU finished 3rd. He totallly controlled every game he played. He dominated the WCAC from the point guard position.

SweetOnionZag
01-25-2013, 10:44 PM
You should live in Utah.......they think Jimmer should be in there as well especially since Morrision was there. I just said hey Adam has more rings riding pine than Jimmer will ever have......they don't like me much around here.

Glad your here..............

Zag79
01-26-2013, 02:48 AM
Actually if you saw John Stockton play his senior season, you would probably at least consider it. WCC MVP. Lead league in scoring and assists. MVP of Far West Classic, even though GU finished 3rd. He totallly controlled every game he played. He dominated the WCAC from the point guard position.

He was definitely playing at a high level, but still not good enough to be one of the top 5 best players specifically in WCC history. Hell, LMU had two players on one team I would put on that list before John. Based on his NBA resume I can understand it, but if we are talking solely during his time in the WCC I'll pass (no pun intended). ;)

willandi
01-26-2013, 08:43 AM
But if a player didn't have to play in the WCC (ala Ainge), how about players for teams that have considered being in the Catholic League with Gonzaga aa a possible member? Shouldn't Patrick Ewing be on that list? The WCC plays in California, so shouldn't Alcindor make the grade?
If you can just ignore the simple fact of actually playing on a team IN THE WCC, lot's of players could be on. Gathers and Morrison are 2 of the best in the last 25 years, so should definately have been on.

SunDevilGolfZag
01-26-2013, 08:44 AM

Spot on. If media coverage had been as pervasive then as it is now, Stockton would have been no secret to the rest of the country. I saw every home game thatyear. He was so dominate at his position that the Jazz made him a first round pick for good reason.

Another WCC player that was very dominant was Doug Christie from Pepperdine. He often looked like a "Baby Jordan."

jpwils
01-26-2013, 09:44 AM
K C Jones-USF

Tom Meschery-SMC

Patty Mills-SMC

Dan Dickau-Gonzaga

Bill Cartwright - USF

bballbeachbum
01-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Dickau deserves some consideration. The WCC hasn't had too many consensus first team All Americans.

no doubt. Bill Cartwright, he's a first teamer too. Ammo was player of the year...how many of those out of the WCC?

Bardo knew who his audience was with the Ainge pick...no problem here, he was doing some Rocky Mountain butt kissing ;)

Birddog
01-26-2013, 11:16 AM
If the game had been a tight one, this list probably never would have been aired. The list was created to have some back fill material and it wasn't exactly well researched. It was just some chum for the masses.