PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo Olynyk?

jazzdelmar
01-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Carmelo Olynyk?

Possible? No one in country playing at a higher, more consistent level, and with Harris just a tick behind, is a Cuse like run to FF led by KO conceivable? Not suggesting Kelly as talented as Melo.

vandalzag
01-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Carmelo Olynyk?

Possible? No one in country playing at a higher, more consistent level, and with Harris just a tick behind, is a Cuse like run to FF led by KO conceivable? Not suggesting Kelly as talented as Melo.

Who are you and what have you done with Jazz?

jazzdelmar
01-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Who are you and what have you done with Jazz?

Born again.

Never dreamed I'd see another Ammo.

Bocco
01-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Born again.

know the feeling ...... they way Olynyk and Harris are playing can lead to flights of fancy .....

vandalzag
01-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Born again.

Only difference KO is doing it in the flow of the game and he is playing all aspects of the game.

jazzdelmar
01-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Only difference KO is doing it in the flow of the game and he is playing all aspects of the game.

I was gonna add that but was concerned it would be perceived as negative. 😉

I would add that both K and Elias are NBA like in that they live on the foul line.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Kelly has such a different game. For example, Kelly's shots last night came within the flow of the offense, whereas Carmelo was the Cuse's offense and created his own shots.

hooter73
01-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Guard U doesn't go far with only high level forwards...

Oregonzagnut
01-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Like Syracuse and Carmelo, I think Kelly can lead Gonzaga farther than ever. Syracuse had 2 NBA guys (Anthony and Warrick) and they won it all. Gonzaga is similar that we have 2 NBA guys but I would argue we are far deeper than The Orange were that year.

Syracuse entered the tournament with 5 losses and 3 losses in conference.

Syracuse was a 3 seed in the tournament.

jazzdelmar
01-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Like Syracuse and Carmelo, I think Kelly can lead Gonzaga farther than ever. Syracuse had 2 NBA guys (Anthony and Warrick) and they won it all. Gonzaga is similar that we have 2 NBA guys but I would argue we are far deeper than The Orange were that year.

Syracuse entered the tournament with 5 losses and 3 losses in conference.

Syracuse was a 3 seed in the tournament.

Great follow up OZN.

cggonzaga
01-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Kelly has such a different game. For example, Kelly's shots last night came within the flow of the offense, whereas Carmelo was the Cuse's offense and created his own shots.

Kelly can create his own shot and has the past 10 games or so. Last night he was in the offense because Harris simply dominated! Unlike Carmelo's Syracuse, we have 3 guys that can put up 20+ on any given night. Have a good feeling that if Kelly sensed he needed to take over he would.

maynard g krebs
01-25-2013, 03:13 PM
At the S16 level and beyond, barring upsets in the bracket, Zags are going to need at least 3/4 of the real Gary Bell to go deep; the GB who averaged 17 in the tourney last year. Not that he has to score that much, but the threat at least has to be there to keep defenses honest. There's already a scoring hole at the 3, which this team can compensate for, but when there's another at the 2 it becomes awfully difficult to beat the elite.

Without GB's offensive ability, this team looks so much like the Morrison/Batista/Raivio team on offense; a couple of go-to guys, a third scorer who shoots 3's and a roster of role players. A team with 3 scorers, no matter how talented, is easier to defend than a team w/ 4 or more.

And as great as KO is, his best against a BCS school so far is 22 points. To be talked about on Adam's level he'd have to come back next year, unless of course he does what the OP says.

jazzdelmar
01-25-2013, 03:22 PM
At the S16 level and beyond, barring upsets in the bracket, Zags are going to need at least 3/4 of the real Gary Bell to go deep; the GB who averaged 17 in the tourney last year. Not that he has to score that much, but the threat at least has to be there to keep defenses honest. There's already a scoring hole at the 3, which this team can compensate for, but when there's another at the 2 it becomes awfully difficult to beat the elite.

Without GB's offensive ability, this team looks so much like the Morrison/Batista/Raivio team on offense; a couple of go-to guys, a third scorer who shoots 3's and a roster of role players. A team with 3 scorers, no matter how talented, is easier to defend than a team w/ 4 or more.

And as great as KO is, his best against a BCS school so far is 22 points. To be talked about on Adam's level he'd have to come back next year, unless of course he does what the OP says.

Good points MGK. But I think Harris and KP are cut above Ammos teammates. And yes, were Kelly to come back it would be Ammo 2.0. Right now KO is channeling Ammos soph year.

maynard g krebs
01-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Right now KO is channeling Ammos soph year.

Exactly my thought

maynard g krebs
01-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Good points MGK. But I think Harris and KP are cut above Ammos teammates.

I'd be hard pressed to pick between Harris and Batista, different strengths but similarly productive, though I agree on KP over jr yr Raivio.

jazzdelmar
01-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Exactly my thought

Ain't agreement grand?

UberZagFan
01-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Ain't agreement grand?

20 point win over BYU and this board becomes a love fest. Where's the dissent?

jazzdelmar
01-25-2013, 03:41 PM

In due course, my friend. In due course.

PS: Don't get me started on slowing the game down with a 20 point lead and 10 to go.

Oregonzagnut
01-25-2013, 03:44 PM

Mark Fews blue tie was hideous. Doesn't he know solid colors make him appear fat?

jazzdelmar
01-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Mark Fews blue tie was hideous. Doesn't he know solid colors make him appear fat?

Isn't there an upscale haberdasher in Spokane? Their duds look like outlet stuff, especially the ties. Daniels has kept his LA tailor, however.

ZagMan in Philly
01-25-2013, 03:53 PM

PS: Don't get me started on slowing the game down with a 20 point lead and 10 to go.

Duke got roasted by the Canes...and Pittino could not beat lowly Villanova, WHOA NELLY... all good in Zags land.

maynard g krebs
01-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Isn't there an upscale haberdasher in Spokane? Their duds look like outlet stuff, especially the ties. Daniels has kept his LA tailor, however.

People in the northwest are much less concerned with clothing than they are in the East or in SoCal. Up here it's hip waders, flannel, goretex and carhartts and suspenders, t shirts and jeans and sandals and sneakers. In Eugene if you wear a fancy suit most people will look at you funny, so on some level perhaps Few was influenced by that.

jazzdelmar
01-25-2013, 04:08 PM
People in the northwest are much less concerned with clothing than they are in the East or in SoCal. Up here it's hip waders, flannel, goretex and carhartts and suspenders, t shirts and jeans and sandals and sneakers. In Eugene if you wear a fancy suit most people will look at you funny, so on some level perhaps Few was influenced by that.

Evidently.

cjm720
01-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Don't see a single comparison.

Oregonzagnut
01-25-2013, 04:19 PM
I just picked this one up on ebay. It is a new line of clothing put out by designer, Omar Samhan. If we lose in Moraga, I will eat my tie.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww10/peter_aaron/Bacontie.jpg

Zag79
01-25-2013, 05:00 PM

:roll: That thought went thru my head at the game last night Jazz...

jazzdelmar
01-25-2013, 05:05 PM
:roll: That thought went thru my head at the game last night Jazz...

And out the other end?

zag69
01-25-2013, 08:00 PM
From BYU's Cougar Corner:

"Junior center James Olynyk leads the team, scoring 18 pts/game and grabbing 6.8 boards a game."

Maybe they'll know his name when we thump them in Provo?

CDC84
01-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Syracuse in 2002/03 was 19th in the nation in defensive efficiency. Their zone was particularly stifling during the NCAA tournament.

The 2012/13 Zags are currently at #69 in defensive efficiency.

GU needs to defend better, and honestly, rebound better. I've said more than I need to say about Gary. Gonzaga ain't beating Michigan, Indiana or anyone of substance if both Pangos and Bell are offensively shut out of the basketball game.

UberZagFan
01-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Syracuse in 2002/03 was 19th in the nation in defensive efficiency. Their zone was particularly stifling during the NCAA tournament.

GU needs to defend better, and honestly, rebound better. I've said more than I need to say about Gary. Gonzaga ain't beating Michigan, Indiana or anyone of substance if both Pangos and Bell are offensively shut out of the basketball game.

All about what you say in the first half of your post and not so much about the second half. You look back at almost all of the past 10 or so NCs and their defensive efficiency is top 25. That's one of the reasons why it's unfortunate that GU ran into UNC so early in the '09 tourney. That team had the D to go deeper if it didn't face a junior NBA team so early.

With that said, this team has the potential to play that type of defense...save for the blocks. But then again, this team is better offensively in those tight types of games because it can go to the blocks and score.

RenoZag
01-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Beat USF

Vanzagger
01-26-2013, 11:40 AM

never say never but that's why I think FewGiac would be better served if they kept Bell and Pangos mostly at point guard and play a bigger off guard.

I could see the combo of Pangos and Hart. I would also love GBJ and Draino. There is some nice balance.

The upside of this team is mind boggling.

jazzdelmar
01-26-2013, 11:45 AM
never say never but that's why I think FewGiac would be better served if they kept Bell and Pangos mostly at point guard and play a bigger off guard.

I could see the combo of Pangos and Hart. I would also love GBJ and Draino. There is some nice balance.

The upside of this team is mind boggling.

Love the thought of KP and Hart in the back court. Never happen. Few is extremely averse to such thinking. Saw wood, etc.