PDA

View Full Version : S-t-u-d...

Zag79
01-25-2013, 09:58 AM
And his name is Elias Harris. We think we know how good he is, but do we really? This guy is one of the best players to ever don a Gonzaga jersey, and yet he's so smooth it almost seems to go unnoticed. 25 points, 10 rebounds, and only 2 fouls in one of the biggest games of the year. He dominated Davies, who is a hell of a player in his own right.

Before the season started everyone was asking who our "leader" would be. Well, we have found out as the season has moved along. Not only does Elias show up night in and night out (automatic double double guy for the most part), he is a monster in the biggest games. When it matters most and the stage is bright, that's when he's really a beast.

By the time Harris takes off his jersey for the final time, he will be without doubt one of the top 5 overall players to step on the hardwood at GU. Some people might disagree with that, but not too many players can affect a game on so many levels. Scoring, rebounding, defense, consistency, leadership, you name it. He does it all.

From here on out I'm going to pay extra special attention to enjoying the way this guy plays, and appreciate everything he brings when he steps on the floor. Elias Harris is a true warrior, and we are damn lucky he's a Zag!

Reborn
01-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Perfect post. Thanks. I feel the same way.

cjm720
01-25-2013, 10:24 AM
+1

EuroZag2010
01-25-2013, 10:33 AM
And his name is Elias Harris. We think we know how good he is, but do we really? This guy is one of the best players to ever don a Gonzaga jersey, and yet he's so smooth it almost seems to go unnoticed. 25 points, 10 rebounds, and only 2 fouls in one of the biggest games of the year. He dominated Davies, who is a hell of a player in his own right.

Before the season started everyone was asking who our "leader" would be. Well, we have found out as the season has moved along. Not only does Elias show up night in and night out (automatic double double guy for the most part), he is a monster in the biggest games. When it matters most and the stage is bright, that's when he's really a beast.

By the time Harris takes off his jersey for the final time, he will be without doubt one of the top 5 overall players to step on the hardwood at GU. Some people might disagree with that, but not too many players can affect a game on so many levels. Scoring, rebounding, defense, consistency, leadership, you name it. He does it all.

From here on out I'm going to pay extra special attention to enjoying the way this guy plays, and appreciate everything he brings when he steps on the floor. Elias Harris is a true warrior, and we are damn lucky he's a Zag!

I couldn't have said it better! I wish the season wouldn't end for Elias. He's this ball clubs leader and he shows it!

hondo
01-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Well said and spot on.

Hogan
01-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Great post. Man, are we going to miss this guy. No drama, just great basketball.Tough and team first.

john montana
01-25-2013, 10:52 AM
E is a beast.

rijman
01-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Well said. And when I watch him play or listen to him speak he seems so humble, he's not into show boating or bragging, he just does his job at a very high level. He seems like a nice quiet guy off court, but when the games on he gets after it. A true team player too. Where he'll rank among the top all time Zags, I'll leave that to others to debate, I just know he'll be in that discussion.

U Zig, I Zag
01-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Heart and soul of the team. The leader. We are gonna really miss him when he is gone... :/

At this point he and KO are first team WCC. KO looks like WCC POY to me, something tells me E would be proud, if KO (instead of himself) nabbed POY.

Hoopaholic
01-25-2013, 10:55 AM
EXCEPTIONAL post....and I might add he has adjusted his game to better serve the TEAM, has CLEARLY demonstrated his improvement in his defense and ability to lock down players that are considered as athletic or more athletic by the pundits (of which I disagree as Harris is truly an athletic hoopster who glides with ease so it makes it look like he is dogging it at times)

his rebounding is a man amongst boys...last night when he came out of NOWHERE and with ONE HAND snatched a rebound away from Davis I think I waked up all my neighbors (i live next to a cemetary)

bartruff1
01-25-2013, 11:00 AM
I would guess that 90% of the fans knew that when he played his first game.

Zag79
01-25-2013, 11:48 AM

What's "that"? How good he would be? His leadership as a senior? That he would end his career as possibly the best player to ever wear a Gonzaga uniform? All of it? Not sure what "that" is you're referring to that 90% of fans would have known after his first year.

CDC84
01-25-2013, 11:53 AM
I wish GU had him one more year. I would love to see this lineup on the floor:

Pangos
Bell
Coleman
Harris
Olynyk

Ezag
01-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Here! Here!

nwray1
01-25-2013, 12:21 PM
So impressed last night by his strength near the basket. Outstanding. Any thoughts on his pro basketball possibilities?

cggonzaga
01-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Pangos
Bell
Coleman
Harris
Olynyk

Couldn't agree more. That team is serious national champion contenders. Don't get me wrong I think we still are but that team would be considered a favorite.

maynard g krebs
01-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Adding my thanks for a great post.

DixieZag
01-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Yes, well said.

Red eyes (again) on senior night.

UberZagFan
01-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Great post. CDC, your post also assumes KO will return.

hooter73
01-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Thats a really good point that he concentrated on making the team better and not just inflating his numbers to up his draft stock. THAT is a team guy, and for him to still be in draft consideration is a big testament to just how good he is.

tlark420
01-25-2013, 12:44 PM
I wish GU had him one more year. I would love to see this lineup on the floor:

Pangos
Bell
Coleman
Harris
Olynyk

:pray:

Zagsker
01-25-2013, 01:38 PM

we did...what was it like being in that 10%?

rennis
01-25-2013, 01:45 PM
I felt like he was underperforming a little in several games in December and even into the start of Jan., but he is turning it on now. Should not come as a surprise, as he has always been a stud in the WCC. I think he relishes going out and playing hard against our conference opponents.

I think it's also because he doesn't have to "think" as hard as he does against the OOC teams...he's familiar with the opponents and styles in conference, and doesn't have to adjust his approach as severely from game-to-game as he does OOC.

WCC though? He can just flow and use his athleticism. I'd like to see him get his touch back from 3, but otherwise I couldn't be happier. Scrappiest big I've seen since Spink, but with a lot more talent. That says a lot about him.

Agree he is a gem, will miss him like crazy.

sittingon50
01-25-2013, 02:36 PM
to Hudson in the post game that his mom was in the house last night.

Yup!
01-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Great post. Man, are we going to miss this guy. No drama, just great basketball.Tough and team first.

The no DRAMA part is why the national media doesn't know him.

Vanzagger
01-25-2013, 05:01 PM
great original post. We are crazy lucky.

Zag79
01-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Thats what is so impressive about it, think of all the great players we've had the luxery to watch... Casey, Batista, Turiaf, Heytvelt, just to name some of the recent greats. Only Ronny is in the top 5 all time for both rebounding and scoring, and Harris will most likely pass him in both categories by seasons end. He'll be the only guy to ever play at GU to be in the top 5 on both lists, just blows my mind how good and consistent he's been.

Mantua
01-25-2013, 06:00 PM
It's been awhile since we've had a player who will leave an enormous hole in the team like E will.

Zags11
01-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Guy has left a mark in this program no matter when it ends. Team player who is special night in and night out. Thank you Mr Harris.

MickMick
01-25-2013, 06:33 PM
He has had his ups and downs.

Was always very good but there were parts of his game I didn't like....until recently.

I know he has put up big numbers before, but sometimes that came with warts.

I see no warts in Harris' game right now. I believe the game against BYU was the best I have ever seen him play. It used to be "take the bad with the good".

Now it is all good.

WallaWallaZag
01-26-2013, 12:08 AM
zags should be able to compensate for his scoring, but the rebounding and athleticism in the frontcourt is another thing...gotta be honest, if elias wasn't from germany he would be playing for a blue-blood bcs team. zags don't get u.s. bigs with this combination of size, skill, and athleticism.

ZagsGoZags
01-26-2013, 12:21 AM
his passing and court vision are greatly improved

he is not as predictable now when he is fed in the paint, especially cool the way EH and KO are tipping it and passing it to each other down low

TheGonzagaFactor
01-26-2013, 01:26 AM
He has been amazing, much like the back half of last season. His effort and athleticism really stand out in every game. He has become one of the best rebounders in college basketball. His improvement in scoring everywhere inside the 3 point line (especially around the basket) has gone relatively unnoticed as it just happened to occur alongside one of the most astronomical improvements in college basketball history.

Just imagine if he was hitting 3s at a clip comparable to last year... the added scoring it would give us along with the extra 1 on 1s Kelly would get as a result. Could make us a true title contender.

Crazy
01-26-2013, 02:44 AM
So impressed last night by his strength near the basket. Outstanding. Any thoughts on his pro basketball possibilities?

I hope he get a shot in a NBA team, i would expect him as a second rounder atm, maybe even undrafted(but pretty sure no guaranteed contract). A good March would raise his chanches for a contract i think.

If i had to guess, i would say he plays for Alba Berlin next season they have a A license for the euroleague and lack of german player which they need for the national competition. So they have a higher motivation to sign him, then other good european clubs.

TacomaZAG
01-26-2013, 09:07 AM
EH has been crazy good this year, makes me think his achilles injury from a year or so ago was more serious than anyone let on. It's obvious he is fully healed this year, as his explosive athleticism is back in a big way, and any tentativeness is totally gone.

I really like the way EH and KO are complementing each other this year, consistently night in and night out. We are really going to miss him next year, so let's really enjoy and appreciate him this season, all the way into April........

Go ZAGS

ZagNative
01-26-2013, 10:06 AM
This thread needs a pic!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-J21ajTk_knw/UQM7DjCxBUI/AAAAAAABX6s/wgJikq5e2ls/s650/2013-01-24%2520Elias%2520Harris%2520BYU-7.jpg

Bringham Youngs's Tyler Haws, left, and Craig Cusick defends Gonzaga's Elias Harris, in the second half of an NCAA college basketball game, Thursday, Jan. 24, 2013, in Spokane, Wash. Gonzaga beat Bringham Young 83-63. (AP Photo/Jed Conklin)

Or maybe two ...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-nXcFY1QWlsw/UQM2SjA2z-I/AAAAAAABX0c/MRF2cQhDakE/s512/2013-01-24%2520Elias%2520Harris%2520BYU-6.jpg

Gonzaga’s Elias Harris (20) grabs a rebound during the first half vs. BYU

Or maybe just one more ...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XAsAYi48urs/UQM2TPfjuYI/AAAAAAABX0k/2sYCXLQF_XI/s512/2013-01-24%2520Elias%2520Harris%2520BYU-2.jpg

Gonzaga’s Elias Harris (20) comes from underneath the basket to score two points against BYU during the first half.

bballbeachbum
01-26-2013, 10:12 AM
E's been doing this for some time so have to disagree with those of you qualifying your praise.

he did it last year and did it before being recognized for doing it, particularly his team first approach. Yes, he's better this year, but he rocked last year too making it a good bet to predict he'd be a stud this year. He's still got some inexperience issues on the perimeter on O, looks like he relaxes with the ball in his hands out there which is a recipe for problems; if I can note this the college coaches certainly have and will get after him out there until he addresses that

but that's a small criticism, addressable

I love E's game obviously, unabashedly: his intensity, his team first approach, his big game mentality, the fact he's a senior and grew all 4 years, his bitter beer face, his leadership, his matured defensive game, his versatility, his tweet telling GUNation to back the Eff off of David after the Butler game, his obvious toughness

and he's a skilled and ever improving basketball player too

S-T-U-D. Great post Zag79, thank you. And great pics ZN!

rennis
01-26-2013, 11:18 AM
I love E's game obviously, unabashedly:

nothing wrong with that at all!

Hoopaholic
01-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Spot on bballbeachbum...spot on

gueastcoast
01-26-2013, 03:43 PM
I love E's game obviously, unabashedly: his intensity, his team first approach, his big game mentality, the fact he's a senior and grew all 4 years, his bitter beer face, his leadership, his matured defensive game, his versatility, his tweet telling GUNation to back the Eff off of David after the Butler game, his obvious toughness

+infinity

Mantua
01-26-2013, 07:19 PM
I have always liked Harris and I wholeheartedly agree with all of the praise for him. He's been a terrific teammate and a loyal Zag. Lately, I've been thinking that the NBA would be stupid not to give him a shot.

jbslicer
01-27-2013, 05:59 AM
Remember when some of you folks wanted to kick him off the team for "shaming the university" for his flagrant foul against a Wake Forest player?

combatcorpsmangulaw
01-27-2013, 07:01 AM
I realize that is a bold statement but at 6'8" and 240 lbs, physically they're a matched pair.

Gonzaga plays a different type of offense than Syracuse did when Anthony was there. Carmelo was told to 'shoot' - 'shoot' - 'shoot'. Harris isn't told to do that as a gunslinger.

If Harris goes Pro in the USA and has a few year under his belt, I believe he's going to be a force for the team he plays for.

Harris now has a lot of confidence in his game and a willingness to improve his game. That's what the great players do.

gonstu
01-27-2013, 07:32 AM
ok, I'll jump on the love fest. I will miss EH big time. It will be such a big hole to fill, and one that has been pretty consistently there for the last four years. What a luxury it was for the coaching staff and fans to have him for four years.

Wait - why do i feel like i'm saying 'good bye' to him already, we have have a conference season and two tourneys left still

Zag79
01-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Remember when some of you folks wanted to kick him off the team for "shaming the university" for his flagrant foul against a Wake Forest player?

:lmao: Wouldnt want one of our guys to play a little physical and get caught now would we? Offense by the whole team was lacking at times last night, but it was an ugly grinder at times. Gotta love the 11 boards to keep the ball in our hands more. I'm still surprised Elias will pass Ronny in career rebounds, I didn't expect that in his freshman year.