PDA

View Full Version : Gary Bell's Shooting Woes

Reborn
01-25-2013, 06:06 AM
I think most scoring guards have shooting slumps in their careers. I certainly did, and I had a very bad one once very similar to Gary's. Most hitters in baseball also have hitting slumps. It's a nightmere believe me. I hated it. What helped me was spending at least a half hour a night after practice for a couple of weeks doing nothing but shooting jump shots. It was my coach who noticed a mechanical problem. When I was shooting the elbow on my shooting arm was sliding outwards slightly. I had to work to getting it back in and aligned directly below my shooting hand. Often, we hear coaches yell, "Keep your elbow in." It is important. So I do hope Gary is spending extra time in the gym shooting, and shooting, and shooting.

The other thing, and maybe more important, or at least equally important, is our confidence. I had completely lost my confidence, and Im sure Gary has also. I was in high school when I had this horrible slump, and our team was undefeated state champs. My slump came near the end of the season and I think my coach was worrying a little. My coach taught our home room class last period and one day, I think it was a Friday and game day, our coach was sitting on the desk, me in the front row just next to him, and he says to me, "Do you know why Mike Glover (he was the sports writer) comes down here all the time, and why he loves Marquette so much?" I said, sure. I'm sure he loves Scot. Scot was an All-American I played with. He was a senior, me a junior. We were our two main scorers. And my coach answers me, "Nope. You got that one wrong. He comes down here to talk about you. And he loves Marquette because of how you play the game." I was so shocked. And it was that one little statement that brought my confidence back, and I once again found my shooting touch.

So Gary, if you hear about this post, just know that not only me, but hundreds of people see you as a big reason we love the Zags, but me especially. I love your game, and when you announced that you were coming to Gonzaga I was so happy. I love the kids that go there who are from our state. I could hardly wait to see you play. And OMG, did you have a great Freshman year. You were one of the best shooters in the country. You are a pure shooter, and one of the purest. And you attacked the basket constantly. Your game in the NCAA tournament against Ohio State U was one I'll always rememberr. You were awesome.

Gary, you ARE a great shooter. Everyone knows that. Now it's time for you to just begin to be that great shooter again. Stop thinking about your shot when you shoot. If you're thinking you're going to miss. Shooting is automatic. Put your focus in your fingers, as you know, it's all about the shooting touch. Feel your shot in your fingertips and let it rip. I have this feeling, Gary that you're thinking too much. If I have a suggestion about your mechanics, I would say your shot is often too flat, and not enough arch. You are too often hitting the front of the rim, so shoot a little harder, which means, snap your wrist a little harder, and give it a little more arch to get it above the front rim. As you know, shooting is all in the wrist and fingertips.

Good luck! I think everyone believes you're gonna find your shot again and your confidence. We all believe in you and think you're great. Now go do it, kiddo. I think the team will need you to find your shot again. And you will.

jazzdelmar
01-25-2013, 06:34 AM
well trod ground, best to let it go.

adoptedzag
01-25-2013, 06:43 AM
Shoot when you're hot. Shoot to get hot.

Keep shooting, Gary. We'll need your swagger back down the road.

gu03alum
01-25-2013, 06:44 AM
Great post Reborn, thanks.

bartruff1
01-25-2013, 06:46 AM

It was a very good sign he took the shots...maybe he is healthy... he will have ample opportunities now to get his confidence back...

Sarenyon
01-25-2013, 06:47 AM
Just glad he was shooting. Wish he'd get more room to drive the lane... easy lay-ups always help build confidence.

Ikancagin
01-25-2013, 06:52 AM
I have seen both he and Kevin put in extra time. I also think that technically Gary has a more perfect shot (form wise) than Kevin. I believe in him and believe he will do just fine. I have no problem with more arch and think once he gets his shot going, it'll open up his "slash". He's my favorite player.

zag944
01-25-2013, 06:54 AM

agree with this.

hard for me to say he should be trying to create himself more shots when Kelly and Elias are playing so efficently. Im still confident GBJ is going to start knocking down more of the shots he is already taking...which will really put this offense on another level.

cjm720
01-25-2013, 07:20 AM
Nice to see him being aggressive last night. The shots will eventually fall.

LongIslandZagFan
01-25-2013, 07:23 AM
I wonder if his earlier injury impacted his form somewhat.

U Zig, I Zag
01-25-2013, 07:28 AM
He shot quickly a few times - I take that as a good sign that he wasn't timid and was planning on shooting his way out of it.

We got another one on Sat. I expect him to keep shooting it. He'll dig himself out of it.

Kiddwell
01-25-2013, 07:32 AM

This.

bballbeachbum
01-25-2013, 07:35 AM

maybe just a little off balance with his feet imo, but to echo the sentiments of others, great to see him let it fly when he was open

maynard g krebs
01-25-2013, 10:50 AM

I think the same, but more his comfort and confidence. And who knows if the injuries are still an issue or not.

As a high school golfer a couple lifetimes ago, my sr year I started shanking my short irons like Costner in Tin Cup. That and touch around the greens was the strongest part of my game, and I never could fix it. (I was the poor public course kid playing against the country clubbers who could afford lessons). Started getting nervous every time I lined up a 9 or a wedge, and gave up the game because of it. Was 20-3-1 my soph/jr yrs and 4-4-2 as a sr w/ the shanks.

I've only seen a couple of shots by GB that looked fluid and comfortable in the last month+, the one at OSU and one other in league.

At least he shot last night, which shows the staff is well aware they need him on offense in the biggest games coming later, and are trying to build him up confidence-wise.

SteelZag
01-25-2013, 08:52 PM
I couldn't help but laugh when I first read MGK's post as I had a college team mate who would occasionally get the shanks, often times on the driving range. The rest of the team was in fear of even going on the course. Bottom line is in any atheletic endeavor, it is hard to make a shot, throw or whatever without any confidence.

In Bell's case, throw in an injury, mechanics get off, then the shot gets off and confidence is toast. GBJ needs a few more Baylor scenario's to get his confidence back and hopefully his shot as well.

Although no teams have been able to stop our front court yet, that doesn't make it impossible. Our offense needs to get more balanced.

GamblingZag
01-25-2013, 09:08 PM
33% from 3. Everyone relax.

CDC84
01-25-2013, 10:59 PM
48% last year. A 15% difference is a huge drop off. Not that I was expecting him to shoot 48% again....that's unbelievable. But at least 41%.

ZagsGoZags
01-25-2013, 11:28 PM
it was nice to see him early in the game driving, dishing out, taking shots, getting the ball to the bigs

he is either healthier, has decided to attack his way out of this, or both

except for shots not going down (he made 2 of 10) he was looking a little like the usual GBJ

Ekrub
01-26-2013, 12:57 AM
Maybe the law of averages will weight out at the end of the season :$

Reborn
01-26-2013, 06:39 AM
Unlike Maynard, most people get out of slumps. I believe Gary will. As Maynard did say, it's all about touch and Gary needs to find that touch again. He should ask Pangos how he got out of his.

Pargo the Destroyer
01-26-2013, 06:46 AM
I think the same, but more his comfort and confidence. And who knows if the injuries are still an issue or not.

As a high school golfer a couple lifetimes ago, my sr year I started shanking my short irons like Costner in Tin Cup. That and touch around the greens was the strongest part of my game, and I never could fix it. (I was the poor public course kid playing against the country clubbers who could afford lessons). Started getting nervous every time I lined up a 9 or a wedge, and gave up the game because of it. Was 20-3-1 my soph/jr yrs and 4-4-2 as a sr w/ the shanks.

I've only seen a couple of shots by GB that looked fluid and comfortable in the last month+, the one at OSU and one other in league.

At least he shot last night, which shows the staff is well aware they need him on offense in the biggest games coming later, and are trying to build him up confidence-wise.

The shanks are the worst. Nothing like getting the yips when you're so close to the green.

ZagsBaby
01-26-2013, 09:45 AM
I know some of you won't believe me, and that's fine...

But I have a friend that spoke with his father over in Kent.

He has no confidence right now. Just a slump, it happens. He's healthy. He'll hit a shot or two and he'll get it all back. no big deal.

23zagmd
01-26-2013, 10:05 AM
I've been saying this for quite a while to anyone that will listen....which isn't many.

Anyway, he STILL looks hurt to me and I don't think they are releasing any information on this.

I have been watching him closely during games and he does not move well laterally to the left. In fact, it's almost like his left knee or him locks up on him when he tries to do so.

There is also a very slight, well hid limp. He doesn't get up and down the court like he has in the past. When was the last time he finished on a break or was explosive coming up the court. It's just not there and I think it has to do with some injury to the knee or hip on his left side.

Additionally, he has little if any lift. There were a couple of instances in the game where he could have contested shots but just could not elevate.

Just speculation on my part but I would be willing to bet we hear about it after the season is over.

ZagsBaby
01-26-2013, 10:39 AM
I've been saying this for quite a while to anyone that will listen....which isn't many.

Anyway, he STILL looks hurt to me and I don't think they are releasing any information on this.

I have been watching him closely during games and he does not move well laterally to the left. In fact, it's almost like his left knee or him locks up on him when he tries to do so.

There is also a very slight, well hid limp. He doesn't get up and down the court like he has in the past. When was the last time he finished on a break or was explosive coming up the court. It's just not there and I think it has to do with some injury to the knee or hip on his left side.

Additionally, he has little if any lift. There were a couple of instances in the game where he could have contested shots but just could not elevate.

Just speculation on my part but I would be willing to bet we hear about it after the season is over.

read my post right above yours.

Any slight injury that still lets him play defense the way he does, wouldn't completely take away his shot.

For once, lets please stop making (up) excuses.

gamagin
01-26-2013, 10:45 AM
I know some of you won't believe me, and that's fine...

But I have a friend that spoke with his father over in Kent.

He has no confidence right now. Just a slump, it happens. He's healthy. He'll hit a shot or two and he'll get it all back. no big deal.

If true, this makes the most sense, given GBj himself says he's healthy and has been for a few weeks. He's a soph. Soph happens.

jazzdelmar
01-26-2013, 11:29 AM
If true, this makes the most sense, given GBj himself says he's healthy and has been for a few weeks. He's a soph. Soph happens.

What happened to Bob Zags much ballyhooed frosh to soph jump then?

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
01-26-2013, 11:30 AM
on his shot. I noticed GBJ's form is off on his shot. I didn't read the whole thread here so maybe someone mentioned it already.

If you look at the form of Ray Allen in this vid. below it shows what many think is the perfect form on a jumper probably similar to Reborn in his playing days! :). GBJ just needs to focus on going straight up. He appears to be fading back just a slight tinsy winsy bit.

I think the GBJ shooting is just 1 of the things with our team that will work itself out lending itself to the theory we haven't peaked or still are not hitting on all cylinders yet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeSUOk8EUgU

What do I know! Have fun watching the game tonight!

Val

gamagin
01-26-2013, 11:46 AM
What happened to Bob Zags much ballyhooed frosh to soph jump then?

try not to carry messages. Ask Bob.

DoMieD
01-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Not concerned

He will be fine... I am a little concerned that he doesn't attack the basket more tho while he knows he is in a slump

I'd rather have a slumping GBJR than a slumping Steven Gray

jazzdelmar
01-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Not concerned

He will be fine... I am a little concerned that he doesn't attack the basket more tho while he knows he is in a slump

Ouch. Bell not quite the player SG was all round.

ZagsBaby
01-26-2013, 01:32 PM
on his shot. I noticed GBJ's form is off on his shot. I didn't read the whole thread here so maybe someone mentioned it already.

If you look at the form of Ray Allen in this vid. below it shows what many think is the perfect form on a jumper probably similar to Reborn in his playing days! :). GBJ just needs to focus on going straight up. He appears to be fading back just a slight tinsy winsy bit.

I think the GBJ shooting is just 1 of the things with our team that will work itself out lending itself to the theory we haven't peaked or still are not hitting on all cylinders yet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeSUOk8EUgU

What do I know! Have fun watching the game tonight!

Val

Yeah when you lose your confidence, you start aiming. You start aiming, he dont come out ofy our hands right

Reborn
01-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Some improvement last night: First that he's shooting more, taking 7 three's. Second he made two of them. That's a good beginning toward getting back to shooting 40% from the 3 point line. Keep getting better, Gary, one game at a time.

The Zags, as a team, made 8 three pointers last night. Very good. What I liked is the bench made alot of contribution in this area as they hit 3 of those 8.

Rio Runner
01-27-2013, 12:24 PM
I don't have an explanation for this, and it may be nothing but a coincidence, but here are the numbers:

Before (and including the moment) Bell hit the Oklahoma State game winning three: 21-57 from behind the arc (37%)

After Bell hit the Oklahoma State game winning three: 6-26 from behind the arc (23%)

maynard g krebs
01-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Unlike Maynard, most people get out of slumps. I believe Gary will. As Maynard did say, it's all about touch and Gary needs to find that touch again. He should ask Pangos how he got out of his.

Wasn't trying to make an analogy there, just the point that due to something (my guess the injuries), his form is off, confidence is effected, and now he's pressing.

He looked much closer to getting it back yesterday. Looks like the coaches have been on him to keep shooting no matter what. Was within an inch or two of being 3-7. I'm predicting a breakout game this week or next.

Dan Dickau shot 53% on 3's as a fr, and 33% coming back too soon from a stress fracture as a soph before refracturing it. Shooting is a fine motor skill and minor dings affect it more than say playing defense.

Zag79
01-27-2013, 01:39 PM
Not concerned

Not quite sure where the comparison came from, but I disagree. Gray was everything GBJ isn't SO far. A leader, had a killer mentality, and was a much better overall player. Gray filled the stat sheets with scoring, assists, rebounds, steals, and was fantastic on D. GBJ, well he plays the D but that's about it if his shot is off. Not to knock GBJ, he has the potential to be a GREAT player over the next two and half seasons. As for now, he can't hold a candle to all the things Gray could do.

bartruff1
01-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Gary is not thru his sophmore season yet....I suspect his stats are very good relative to nearly any other Soph guard at Gonzaga.

Zag79
01-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Gary is not thru his sophmore season yet....I suspect his stats are very good relative to nearly any other Soph guard at Gonzaga.

They definitely are, Gary a good player and will only get better. Gray just did more overall, even as a sophomore. GBJ is a good defender, but he doesn't get many steals or rebounds which Steven was fantastic at.

CDC84
01-27-2013, 11:33 PM
Gary has been fantastic defensively the past few games. I just wish that shot would go in. It helps the offense so much against the best teams on GU's schedule.

Zag4Hire
01-28-2013, 07:55 AM
As LIZF and others pointed out, I think GBJ is such a warrior, he is not trying to let on how the wear and tear of this season (not just the leg injury; he has seriously taken a thumping so far). In a similar light when a year or so ago when scrutiny of EH's game took place. I have to believe it is injury/fatigue related.

sittingon50
01-31-2013, 07:57 PM
Fixed!

webspinnre
01-31-2013, 09:13 PM
Great to see him find his touch tonight. Hopefully this really builds his confidence. We all know he's a stud, we just want to see it more often.

bartruff1
01-31-2013, 09:17 PM
It helps some that he is not guarding some uber athletic Cousy candidate... his form looked great as it always has...

ZagsBaby
01-31-2013, 09:18 PM
It's alllllll about confidence. Once you hit a few, you get it all back and then some. Gary is fine.

No more talk about injuries or having to guard the oppositions best player. It was all in his mind. If you've ever played basketball you know this.

CDC84
01-31-2013, 09:26 PM
Interesting how Few didn't use him on Anthony Ireland tonight for the most part. Hope tonight's performance continues.

hooter73
01-31-2013, 09:29 PM
oh I dont know, he was 0% from three in the second half...

:D

Section 116
01-31-2013, 09:33 PM
I'm pretty sure I heard Santagelo say on postgame LMU radio he observed Bell had been leaning to the left on his outside shooting as of late and he seemed to have straightened himself out. I hope that is the case!

MDABE80
01-31-2013, 09:38 PM
We'll need Gary in the his best shape and have him shoot like he did tonight to make a deep run. We're absent a strong 3 on offense. He'll have to be that guy 2-3. The 3 will be a stronger defender/rebounder who harrasses the other team and prevents points from the other side of the ball. Glad to see Gary get back to form. I do think he can do better but tonight was big for him and the team.

Zagger
01-31-2013, 09:44 PM
Bell looked good. Think he's back for the season. Now I want to see Edi improve his game. Zags are going to be hard to beat - especially if they keep improving on D.

Reborn
01-31-2013, 10:10 PM
It's alllllll about confidence. Once you hit a few, you get it all back and then some. Gary is fine.

No more talk about injuries or having to guard the oppositions best player. It was all in his mind. If you've ever played basketball you know this.

Sorry but it's always JUST ABOUT confidence and the mind. You would be surprised how its usually something mechanical, which I explained my case, and most likely it could have been something as little as leaning to the left. That's why it's important to go to the gym after practice, and usually go with someone who can watch your shot who knows about the mechanics (coaches or good players).

It sure looked good tonight. This will definitely help his confidence. Confidence is certainly a part of it. I think it's going to just get better now. Once you get it back it will most often stay.

DoMieD
02-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Not quite sure where the comparison came from, but I disagree. Gray was everything GBJ isn't SO far. A leader, had a killer mentality, and was a much better overall player. Gray filled the stat sheets with scoring, assists, rebounds, steals, and was fantastic on D. GBJ, well he plays the D but that's about it if his shot is off. Not to knock GBJ, he has the potential to be a GREAT player over the next two and half seasons. As for now, he can't hold a candle to all the things Gray could do.

Disagree completely with everything you just said.. Gray def did not have a killer instinct either...

And the comparison comes from when Gray use to be slumping and absolutely useless..

WallaWallaZag
02-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Disagree completely with everything you just said.. Gray def did not have a killer instinct either...

And the comparison comes from when Gray use to be slumping and absolutely useless..

add me as another who completely disagrees with dmd...gray was tremendous at taking the ball to the rim and being aggressive. i can't remember the last time i saw gary bell take his man off the dribble one on one.

...and why the need to take a shot at gray when talking about bell???

CDC84
02-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Gary takes his man off the bounce at least once or twice a game. It's one thing to take your man off the bounce, but another thing to actually make the shot. That floater he puts up has not been connecting. I know he missed on one in the first half last night.

bballbeachbum
02-01-2013, 09:38 AM
add me as another who completely disagrees with dmd...gray was tremendous at taking the ball to the rim and being aggressive. i can't remember the last time i saw gary bell take his man off the dribble one on one.

...and why the need to take a shot at gray when talking about bell???

me too.

and Gary looks more balanced on his shot, not drifting left like he was, which is typically because your feet are too close together. when guys play hurt, it's normal to develop little things in your game which compensate for the pain or whatever. Not saying that's what happened in Gary's case, but he was Uber balanced last night in the first half; I recall one second half miss where he appeared to drift to the left on the release

haven't rewatched the game, just making an observation

when Gary shoots like that, I think the Zags are unbeatable; no team is going to come in with a game plan to limit Gary's shots, so when he makes them, it's a game changer

Reborn
02-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Gary takes his man off the bounce at least once or twice a game. It's one thing to take your man off the bounce, but another thing to actually make the shot. That floater he puts up has not been connecting. I know he missed on one in the first half last night.

and he used to hit that floater ALL THE TIME.

maynard g krebs
02-01-2013, 11:36 AM
due to something (my guess the injuries), his form is off, confidence is effected, and now he's pressing.

He looked much closer to getting it back yesterday. I'm predicting a breakout game this week or next.

I made this prediction last week based as much based on how he was moving on D as how he looked making 2-7 3's. More fluid and comfortable looking. Things vital to shooting.

He'll start making the runners and floaters and drives to the rim too, but it'll take another week or 2 to get those back. More moving parts to synchronize in those shots.

maynard g krebs
02-01-2013, 11:38 AM
when guys play hurt, it's normal to develop little things in your game which compensate for the pain or whatever.

exactly.