PDA

View Full Version : BYU at Gonzaga Post-Game Media

ZagNative
01-24-2013, 10:30 PM
ESPN video and game summary (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330242250)

AP - Nick Geranios (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20130125/bkc-t25-byu-gonzaga/?utm_hp_ref=arts&ir=arts)

TheZagPhish
01-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Salt Lake Tribune (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/55697022-88/half-byu-cougars-gonzaga.html.csp):

"Offensively, I think we struggled with their size and how physical the game was early," Rose said. "Probably would have maybe responded a little bit better if the way the game was called in the second half was called in the first half. We got 17 free throws in the second half. I think we shot 4 of 5 in the first half."

Zags11
01-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Now I know why they are so chippy. SMH

ZagNative
01-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Deseret News (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865571461/BYU-mens-basketball-Cougars-fall-to-Gonzaga-83-63.html)
The Cougars looked completely overmatched and lethargic from the opening tip — hardly ever getting after the No. 10-ranked Zags, who focused their efforts on shutting down both Tyler Haws and Brandon Davies with double teams.

The defensive strategy worked like a charm.

Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk owned what was billed as a premier matchup between the two most-dominant post players in the West Coast conference. Olynyk provided his regular dominating presence on both ends while Davies was lethargic and completely out of sorts.
Gonzaga was spurred on by a suffocating defense, which led to a lot of easy chances on the offensive end. The Zags shot 51 percent from the field in the first half and were led by Olynyk and Harris, who led their team with 14 points apiece.

ZagNative
01-24-2013, 10:50 PM
Colin Mulvaney's Photo Gallery from the Spokesman Review (http://www.spokesman.com/picture-stories/gu-vs-byu-jan-24/)

ZagNative
01-24-2013, 11:07 PM
Jim Meehan's game story (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2013/jan/24/gu-handles-byu-remain-first/) from the Spokesman-Review
It was a one-two punch offensively with Kelly Olynyk (26 points) and Elias Harris (25).

It was a one-two-three-four-five punch on defense as Gonzaga held BYU to 63 points, 15 under its season average, and 35.6-percent shooting. The Bulldogs' Gary Bell Jr. (on BYU's Tyler Haws, who had 1 point, 20 below his average) and Elias Harris (on Brandon Davies, who had 14 points, 4 under his average) were outstanding defensively, and they had a lot of help from their teammates.
Olynyk didn’t miss a shot – 9 of 9 field goals, 8 of 8 free throws – en route to 26 points. Harris made 8 of 11 field goals, 9 of 13 free throws and finished with a season-high 25 points and 10 rebounds. Olynyk had nine boards and a team-high five assists. Gonzaga made 57 percent of its shots, its highest of the season against a D-I opponent.

“My teammates gave me the ball where my strength is and that’s a great team effort,” Harris said. “It takes a great team to recognize scenarios like that.
Harris was equally effective at the defensive end, limiting BYU forward Brandon Davies to two first-half points. Davies finished with 14 points on 5-of-13 shooting.

“I thought ‘E’ was special tonight,” GU coach Mark Few said. “When he plays with that kind of effort and he’s that bouncy and he plays that athletic, he’s a special, special player.”
Sophomore guard Tyler Haws, BYU’s leading scorer at 21.6 points per game, had a miserable night operating against the defense of Gary Bell Jr. and the Bulldogs’ alert help defense. Haws finished 0 of 9 from the field and scored his only point on a free throw with 7:35 left in the second half. Haws, who had a 42-point game against Virginia Tech, had been in double figures in 19 of BYU’s previous 20 games.

“I just tried to limit his touches,” Bell said. “Our length really helped us out. If he thought about shooting, it seemed like Kelly or Elias or Sam (Dower) was right there and going to block it. He had to change his shots a lot and pass it out.”
BYU, which shoots 46 percent from the field and averages 78.3 points per game, made just 35.6 percent, including 4 of 17 3-pointers (23.5 percent).

“Easily our best defensive effort of the season,” Few said. “We were high energy, we were physical, covering for each other, blocking shots at the rim, rebounding, only giving them one-and-out. We ended up with 42 deflections, which is a huge number.”
Led by Harris and Olynyk, the Bulldogs outscored BYU 42-28 in points in the paint.

“They’re both great players, both all-league guys and you’ve got to give them credit,” Davies said. “It was a real physical game throughout; they just continued to battle. And they’re deep as well. They have bigs that can come in and hold heir own. That’s what good teams have.”

ZagNative
01-24-2013, 11:30 PM
GoZags.com Video of Game Highlights (http://www.gozags.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=24526&id=1401205)

gamagin
01-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Thought the espn & ap stories had it backassward.. All about how byu lost instead of how the ranked GU put together a complete game & overpowered & outplayed byu. The Deseret news got it right.

Meehan, too.

Best,

ZagNative
01-24-2013, 11:45 PM
KREM 2 game report (http://www.krem.com/sports/gonzaga-bulldogs/Olynyk-Harris-lead-No-10-Gonzaga-past-BYU-83-63-188320111.html)

ZagNative
01-24-2013, 11:57 PM
GoZags.com game story (http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=627537&SPID=90846&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=206107679&DB_OEM_ID=26400)
By Matt Breach

Special to GoZags.com

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/NL/NLFIVPXXOAZCHWV.20130125080628.jpg

SPOKANE, Wash. - Barely 60 seconds had passed before the always-raucous Gonzaga faithful let out the first substantial roar of the evening. Strangely enough, it came after a missed shot by the home team.

Now that curiosity is hardly reason to question the basketball IQ of the capacity crowd that packed the McCarthey Athletic Center. It was actually quite astute. It was an audible display of encouragement for Gary Bell Jr., a plea for him to ply his offensive skills more assertively.

Bell did just that, but not at the expense of what he does best. And the fans, once again showing they know plenty about the game, acknowledged him for his defensive effort as well.

Bell embodied the aggressive defensive approach of Gonzaga, helping his club stymie BYU and claim an impressive 83-63 triumph Thursday night. The win bumps the 10th-ranked Bulldogs' record to 18-2 overall and 5-0 in the West Coast Conference.

"I'm ecstatic with how we flew around," Gonzaga coach Mark Few said. "The energy, the effort, the attention to detail, the toughness - it was great. And for the most part, we kept it up all night."

It was arguably the Bulldogs' best defensive effort to date. They held the high-flying Cougars to 21 first-half points, the second-lowest total allowed by the Zags in a half this season. Even with a second-half surge, BYU still finished the game 15 points below its season average.

"Guys individually made great efforts on the defensive end," GU junior Kelly Olynyk said. "But it was also a lot of help-side defense and making great decisions."

Bell, a versatile sophomore guard, seemed to make a conscious decision to be assertive on offense, where he has been nearly nonexistent recently. Prior to Thursday, he had taken just eight shots in the past three games, for six points. That included the contest against Butler, where he attempted just one shot and went scoreless for the first time in his brief Gonzaga career.

"I know the coaches wanted me to be more aggressive," Bell said. "So I just took my open shots and played within the offense."

Bell didn't make very many of those shots against BYU, but at least he took them. He was 2-for-10 from the field and connected on just one of his six 3-point tries.

Bell will certainly be one of the keys to Gonzaga fulfilling growing national expectations and making a deep run in March. But how can that happen with him in such an offensive funk? Well, continuing to play defense with such ferocity would be a good start. And that never seems to be a problem for Bell.

Bell is always tasked with defending the opposition's best perimeter player. That was no different Thursday night. His assignment: BYU standout Tyler Haws, who averages nearly 22 points per game and had scored at least 20 in seven consecutive outings.

Haws finished with one point. The sophomore guard missed all nine of his shots and was clearly frustrated by Bell's nonstop harassment.

"It was team defense, it wasn't just me," Bell said. "We made it hard for Haws the whole game and made sure there were no easy looks for him."

Gonzaga stifled just about every BYU player, not just Haws. The Bulldogs held the Cougars to 35-percent shooting, including a paltry 23-percent clip from behind the arc. It was certainly an inspired defensive performance that, as is usually the case, begins with Bell.

For now, the Bulldogs are blessed with enough capable scorers they don't need Bell to be an offensive force. Not that they wouldn't mind if he rediscovered his touch, and sooner rather than later.

But regardless of how he is shooting, or if he is shooting at all, Bell always leaves his mark on defense. Just ask Haws and the rest of the BYU Cougars.

ZagNative
01-25-2013, 12:02 AM
From Twitter:
Gonzaga Basketball ‏@ZagMBB

With his 10 rebounds tonight, Senior @E20Harris moved ahead of Zag great @Ronny_Turiaf into 4th place on the school's career rebounding list

ZagNative
01-25-2013, 12:21 AM
I was impressed by this Yahoo News (http://za.news.yahoo.com/olynyk-perfect-gonzaga-blowout-byu-080007327--ncaab.html) story of the game, and only when I'd finished did I notice it was by our old friend Howie Stalwick. Fun read.
SPOKANE, Wash. -- Gonzaga's basketball coaches thought it would be wise to redshirt Kelly Olynyk last season, after the 7-foot forward often struggled during his first two seasons.

Midway through the year, Olynyk's coaches were beginning to think they were too smart for their own good.

"We said (last) January he was our best player," Gonzaga assistant coach Ray Giacoletti said Thursday night after Olynyk dominated BYU in an 83-63 triumph in a key West Coast Conference game.

Olynyk scored a game-high 26 points by sinking every shot he took -- nine from the field and eight at the free-throw line. He also had nine rebounds, five assists, one blocked shot and one steal in 31 minutes for the 10th-ranked Bulldogs.

"He used the redshirt year to the utmost," Giacoletti said. "He changed his body in the weight room. He was working out twice a day on his basketball skills. He was eating right.

"He made the absolute most out of it. He was hungry. So many times, guys redshirt and just kind of get through the year."
The Bulldogs (18-2, 5-0 WCC) dominated the smaller Cougars in the paint with Olynyk and Elias Harris. The latter racked up 25 points, 10 rebounds, two blocked shots, one assist and one steal, and he played effective defense against BYU star Brandon Davies.

"Elias has taken his game to a different level," Giacoletti said. "He's really focused and dialed in."
Olynyk, a point guard until he went through a sudden growth spurt after his sophomore year of high school, made some impressive passes and handled the ball with surprising ability for a big man.

"He's a great player," Sharp understated.

Giacoletti said, "He's got as good a feel for a 7-footer -- an uncanny feel. He can really pass the basketball. He plays with great poise. When he catches it, he plays slow. So many guys panic when they catch the basketball, especially in traffic."
BYU guard Tyler Haws, who came into the night leading the WCC with 21.6 points per game, went 0 for 9 from the field and scored one point, on a second-half free throw. Gary Bell Jr., a noted defensive stopper, hounded Haws unmercifully.

"Gary Bell Jr. guarded Haws to a tee," Olynyk said.

Giacoletti said, "The biggest thing we talked about was you've got to be able to guard him without fouling him, because half his points usually come from the free-throw line."

sittingon50
01-25-2013, 12:24 AM
And on the post game I think I heard Huddy say he moved to #8 on the scoring list.

ZagNative
01-25-2013, 12:28 AM
And on the post game I think I heard Huddy say he moved to #8 on the scoring list.Yeah, I think I heard he'd moved ahead of (or maybe just behind) Richie Frahm.

Mantua
01-25-2013, 01:23 AM
Salt Lake Tribune (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/55697022-88/half-byu-cougars-gonzaga.html.csp):
Quote:
"Offensively, I think we struggled with their size and how physical the game was early," Rose said. "Probably would have maybe responded a little bit better if the way the game was called in the second half was called in the first half. We got 17 free throws in the second half. I think we shot 4 of 5 in the first half."

Has Mark Few EVER blamed the refs out loud???

I hope we knock the tar out of them at the Marriott!

caduceus
01-25-2013, 01:58 AM
Interesting game notes from Statsheet on the game (http://zagsball.com/gonzaga-basketball/game-recap/no-10-gonzaga-slams-brigham-young-83-63):

The last time Zags recorded at least 19 turnovers was Feb 23, 2012 against Brigham Young.
Elias Harris has 6 straight double-digit point games.
Elias Harris recorded a team season high in free throws attempted with 13.
This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 1:00 left to go.
This season Gonzaga has won 100% of the time (8-0) when Kevin Pangos has 12 points or more, 80% of the time (4-1) when Kelly Olynyk plays 31 minutes or more, and 80% of the time (4-1) when Elias Harris has 8 field goals made or more.
The last time Zags started the season 18-2 was 2003.
The Bulldogs have won 100% of the time this season (8-0) after recording 83 or more total points.
Zags has won 100% of the time this season (10-0) when opponents record 63 or fewer total points.
Zags has won 100% of the time this season (7-0) after holding an opponent to under 35.6% field goal percentage.
The Bulldogs set season highs for blocks and turnovers.
This marks the 17th 20-point game of Elias Harris's career.
This marks the 8th 20-point game of Kelly Olynyk's career.
Kelly Olynyk has 15 straight double-digit point games.

bballbeachbum
01-25-2013, 07:42 AM
lots of great reading in this thread, thanks ZN and all

Reborn
01-25-2013, 07:50 AM
It's really hard to believe how good Kelly Olynyk is this year. I remember how, at the beginning of the year, how the Zags could replace Rob Sacre. I truly had some concerns there. I thought it might be PK, and probably never thought it would be Kelly Olynyk who would be the one who made the difference. And Kelly has not only won the starting center postion but he has become even better than Rob, imo. Kelly's biggest weakness has been his intensity and skill on defense. However, last night he made great strides in showing that he CAN play defense too.

The most important part of the season is coming up. It's the final quarter, and that's the most important by far. The second time we play teams they will have alot more tape on how Kelly plays. IN many ways, he is a newcomer. It seems like most teams are going to decide to go zone, and although our outside shooting hasn't been great (accept for @ Portland) the Zags are still able to get the ball inside to Elias and Kelly. I felt our team totally exploited BYU's zone defense by getting the ball inside to our post players. Even though BYU designed their defense to plug the middle and force us to shoot from outside, it just didn't work. GU found the gaps to get the ball inside.

Zag79
01-25-2013, 08:30 AM
Interesting game notes from Statsheet on the game (http://zagsball.com/gonzaga-basketball/game-recap/no-10-gonzaga-slams-brigham-young-83-63):

The last time Zags recorded at least 19 turnovers was Feb 23, 2012 against Brigham Young.
This season Gonzaga has won 100% of the time (8-0) when Kevin Pangos has 12 points or more, 80% of the time (4-1) when Kelly Olynyk plays 31 minutes or more, and 80% of the time (4-1) when Elias Harris has 8 field goals made or more.
The Bulldogs have won 100% of the time this season (8-0) after recording 83 or more total points.
Zags has won 100% of the time this season (10-0) when opponents record 63 or fewer total points.
Zags has won 100% of the time this season (7-0) after holding an opponent to under 35.6% field goal percentage.

Some serious stats right there, it's unreal how good Kelly and Elias are. People need to enjoy this, it's not something that happens too often.

ZagNative
01-25-2013, 08:53 AM
KXLY Game Story Video (http://video.kxly.com/watch.php?id=33174)

sittingon50
01-25-2013, 08:57 AM
His 25 pts. gives him 1,656, moving past Jeff Brown into 8th. Next up:

7. Blake Stepp 1,670
6. Matt Bouldin 1,683
5. Ronny Turiaf 1,723

ZagNative
01-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Jim Meehan's Day-After post (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2013/jan/25/day-after-byu/), always a treat for me!
By the way, GU president Thayne McCulloh's halftime announcement centered on a proposed four-story university center.

One other item: Several sources say that the WCC has re-upped with the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas as the site of the conference's men's and women's tournaments. It's a multi-year deal — my guess is three years, as it was in the previous contract that was set to expire after the 2013 event in March. The WCC explored a few other options — KeyArena in Seattle was one — but the tournaments have been a hit at the Orleans since arriving in 2009
“Gary (Bell) worked his tail off (guarding Haws), but he had help,” coach Mark Few said. “We switched a couple times, we had some doubles in there.”

Harris, not known for his defensive prowess, did a nice job on Davies, also with some help, in the first half.

“Defense is a team, not just one person,” Harris said. “Gary guarded (Haws) great, but he also had other guys helping him. Same with Davies. I had other guys helping me out to control him.”

One sequence late in the first half illustrated Harris’ point. BYU had the ball and an away-from-the-ball screen freed Haws from Bell temporarily. Harris picked up the BYU guard through the lane, then passed him off to Kelly Olynyk after running into a screener on the low block. Olynyk denied Haws the ball on the wing, 25 feet from the hoop, batting away one pass.

Haws reversed course, ran the baseline again and this time Olynyk got screened on the opposite block. Bell immediately popped out and Haws again was denied on the wing. Eventually Davies caught a pass about 12 feet from the hoop near the baseline. Harris didn’t fall for a pump fake and closed off Davies’ baseline drive. Kevin Pangos dropped down to double team and Davies traveled trying to split the two defenders. Team defense.
—What happened next epitomized Harris’ night. At the other end of the floor, he grabbed a rebound in heavy traffic while his jersey was being yanked by a defender (ala a defensive back grabbing the uniform of a wide receiver breaking open). Harris gathered and went up for a layup, leaving a frustrated Josh Sharp no alternative but to offer a gentle two-hand push in Harris’ back for a foul.
—The Zags continue to draw national attention. CBS has been in town for 3-4 days, with access to practices and the locker room immediately after the BYU game, for a segment that will run in February. Assistant coach Tommy Lloyd was mic’d up for Tuesday’s practice.

A USA Today reporter is in Spokane for an upcoming article.Lots, lots more here in Jim Meehan's post (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2013/jan/25/day-after-byu/).

gamagin
01-25-2013, 10:30 AM

LOVE this. thanks.

ZagNative
01-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Daily Herald (http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/basketball/men/cougars-despondent-after-large-loss-at-no-gonzaga/article_3191fdb0-6658-11e2-bad5-001a4bcf887a.html)
Cougars despondent after large loss at No. 10 Gonzaga
Jason Franchuk - Daily Herald
"We started to play defense, get settled in, but it was a little too late," Brandon Davies said, looking more despondent than after any game this year.

The Cougars have had some rough road losses this year, and this one was against the best of the bunch. It hardly made it any easier.

A few times the senior center rubbed his temples as he talked quietly about an opportunity gone awry.

Rose lamented some missed GU shots in the first half that were rewarded with extra chances. And the Cougars could never get un-rattled.

This time, Elias Harris (25 points) had an early score, Kelly Olynyk (26) added another and Harris produced another layup to produce a 6-1 margin that set the tone for the country’s No. 10-ranked team (18-2, 5-0).

Rose called their two big players "really, really good."

No need to tell that to an adoring fan base, which was in it when the score was still respectable early.

A fun-loving student section of 1,300 sounded more entertained late in the second half by the obscure tunes of Vanilla Ice, than it did in worry about this particular outcome.

It camped out beside the arena, in 15-degree weather overnight, for this?

The misfortune for the Cougars was that Haws, easily BYU's most consistent points producer, didn't even score a point until a free throw with 7:35 left cut BYU's deficit to 64-52.

"Give Gonzaga credit," Rose said. "They did a really good job. Even the catches Tyler did get, they were a little off what he was comfortable with."
Rose and Co. had to be longing for those good, old days — when conference road wins were significantly easier to come by.

BYU still hasn't beaten Saint Mary's (0-for-3 in two years) and has lost 3-of-4 against the Zags since joining the conference.

When Mike Reed did listen, and take a look at a video review that Rose demanded, it turned out (at least by the ref's assessment) that Sharp hadn't been hit in the face.

Sharp had been called for arguing a foul call against him with 1:08 before halftime, somewhere the Cougars couldn't get fast enough.

Rose stuck up for his player.

But it turned out that the Cougars were charged a timeout for bothering to demand such a time-wasting replay.

gonstu
01-25-2013, 10:44 AM
His 25 pts. gives him 1,656, moving past Jeff Brown into 8th. Next up:

7. Blake Stepp 1,670
6. Matt Bouldin 1,683
5. Ronny Turiaf 1,723

wow. out of curiosity, who are 1-4.

sittingon50
01-25-2013, 10:55 AM
4. Matt Santangelo 1,810
3. Adam Morrison 1,867
2. Jim McPhee 2,015
1. Frank Burgess 2,196 (in 3 seasons & before the 3 pt. shot)

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
01-25-2013, 10:56 AM
busy so appreciated!

Reborn kinda knows a little hoops. I like it! :) Sweet!

Last night I saw Kahari Beaufort in East Hartford, CT against Weaver of Hartford. The guy has swag we should offer for 2014! :)

Have a blessed day everyone! On to USF! :)

Val

Zag365
01-25-2013, 03:11 PM
I was impressed by this Yahoo News (http://za.news.yahoo.com/olynyk-perfect-gonzaga-blowout-byu-080007327--ncaab.html) story of the game, and only when I'd finished did I notice it was by our old friend Howie Stalwick. Fun read.

Don't know who Howie Stalwick is, but his regular columns on the Zags in the Kitsap Sun are far better than the AP stories that usually run in The Seattle Times (although Bud Withers of the Times does the best feature stories on Zags in Western WA).

Today's Stalwick article had the best headline I've seen about last night's game, "Olynyk Perfect as Zags Pound BYU." Said it all in six words (may have been the paper's headline writer, not Stalwick, but still terrific). At the end of the article, my eye caught this statement that I hadn't seen in other articles: "The Gonzaga dressing room was closed to the media for an extended period after the game, but the Bulldogs let their play do all the talking." Any idea what that was all about?

ZagNative
01-25-2013, 03:22 PM
I suspect it's because of this, reported by Meehan:
—The Zags continue to draw national attention. CBS has been in town for 3-4 days, with access to practices and the locker room immediately after the BYU game, for a segment that will run in February. Assistant coach Tommy Lloyd was mic’d up for Tuesday’s practice.

A USA Today reporter is in Spokane for an upcoming article.

Section 116
01-25-2013, 03:22 PM
I noticed last evening there was a guy with a long handled microphone over the Zags huddle during most, if not, every timeout. I don't recall having seen that before and I now wonder if that was a CBS employee, as noted above?