PDA

View Full Version : KO's Perfect Line

SWZag
01-24-2013, 09:34 PM
It was mentioned numerous times in the broadcast of KO's perfect line: 9 - 9 from the field and 8 - 8 from the line with 9 rebounds. But what caught my eye is that he didn't commit a foul, according to ESPN. Now I feel that is an even more of an impressive line for KO.

Amazing performance by KO.

SWZag

BTB
01-24-2013, 09:39 PM
26 points, 9-9 from the field, 8-8 from the line, 9 boards, 5 dimes, a block, a steal, and 0 fouls. Only things that I could wish for that could have been better is a double-double and less turnovers (he had 3). Incredible game

Hoopaholic
01-24-2013, 09:40 PM
It was exceptional and played under control taking what was given to him never trying to force the action or try to take over the offensive flow. Nice job. Ko

Birddog
01-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Leader in the club house for WCC POY.

DCZag
01-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Add this performance to his already being mentioned by the talking heads for Wooden Award consideration....KO is AT LEAST the most improved player in the country....

gozagswoohoo

Yessssirrrrrrr!

webspinnre
Utterly efficient, a perfect representation of what he's meant to us this year. Gotta love the essentially matching lines from he and Elias as far as totals as well.

Oregonzagnut
01-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Zero fouls?

ZERO Fouls?

Perfect game.

FlatheadZag
01-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Perfecto! Kelly and Elias are the co- MVP's of the season, so far.

CDC84
01-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Kelly is now shooting an astounding 67.4% from the field.

What is amazing about that percentage is that most players who shoot that kind of percentage are just dunking the basketball all the time or putting back offensive rebounds. Kelly scores from all over the place, and the shots are often contested. 13 foot mid range jumpers, taking guys off the bounce and scoring over two defenders, turn around jump shots, etc.

Blitzing-Zag
01-25-2013, 01:26 AM
Kelly was amazing tonight.

zagfan24
01-25-2013, 03:46 AM
Kelly is now shooting an astounding 67.4% from the field.

I said this is in the game thread, but Kelly's shot selection is simply outstanding. Even as he has gained more and more attention nationally, he has never forced bad shots and seems content to only take over games when needed. His unselfish mentality carries over to the rest of the team. A perfect shooting line says as much about the shots you didn't take (and miss) as it does about those you did take.

ZagMan in Philly
01-25-2013, 04:43 AM
Kelly is a heck of a free throw shooter for a 7 footer, and his short jump shots are money.
He can definitely take us to Atlanta, and with Harris playing well, our dynamic duo can really do some damage in the tourney.
Great game.

cjm720
01-25-2013, 08:54 AM
His ability to look a player off and drive or shoot is at a very high level. A very high IQ player. Glad he plays for the good guys!

Zag79
01-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Simply put, BEAST... One of the most dominant, thorough, well played games I've seen by one player to be honest. His stat line is just filthy, and that's before you even get to the perfect shooting. At the rate this guy is competing, we will be lucky to keep him around next year.

Shanachie
01-25-2013, 09:26 AM
He has been flat out amazing. Statsheet now has him at 8th in their national player rankings.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/statrank/players

Sorry to quibble over your metaphor, but he's not in the clubhouse yet. Not even through the front nine.

rijman
01-25-2013, 09:58 AM
It was mentioned numerous times in the broadcast of KO's perfect line: 9 - 9 from the field and 8 - 8 from the line with 9 rebounds. But what caught my eye is that he didn't commit a foul, according to ESPN. Now I feel that is an even more of an impressive line for KO.

SWZag
When I went through the box score after the game the lack of fouls jumped out at me too, on top of everything else he didn't commit a foul. Wow, what a great game. Between KO and Harris BYU didn't stand a chance.

rawkmandale
01-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Kelly getting lots of ESPN love:

Numbers to Know: Thursday recap
January, 25, 2013
Jan 25 11:21AM ET
By Jeremy Lundblad, ESPN Stats & Info
Player of the Night – Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga
Olynyk has gone from one of the nation’s most improved players to simply being one of the nation’s best players. He had 26 points, nine rebounds and five assists in Gonzaga's thumping of BYU. Most impressively, Olynyk was 9-9 from the field and 8-8 from the line. Over the past 15 years, only Monmouth’s Blake Hamilton (2003) and Maryland’s Lonny Baxter (1998) had that many attempts of each without a miss.

Wooden Watch: King's POY ballot
January, 24, 2013
Jan 2411:17AM ET
By Jason King

Northwestern toppled Minnesota. Miami embarrassed Duke, Villanova upset Louisville and Wake Forest shocked NC State.

All in the last few days.

The college basketball world is becoming more and more unpredictable -- and as a result, so is the race for the Wooden Award. It was only a few weeks ago when Duke’s Mason Plumlee and Creighton’s Doug McDermott seemed like the obvious front-runners. But a handful of recent losses by the Blue Devils and Bluejays have catapulted another contender to the top of the list. At least for now.

Here’s my latest ballot:

1.Trey Burke, Michigan - Why not go with the nation’s top point guard? It certainly doesn’t hurt that he plays for what may be the nation’s best team. Burke averages 18 points and 7.2 assists while shooting 50 percent from the field. Michigan has a tough road game at Illinois on Sunday.

2.Doug McDermott, Creighton - McDermott was ill during Wednesday’s loss at Drake, but he still managed to score 17 points before intermission. Still, that setback coupled with the one Creighton suffered at Wichita State on Saturday knocked McDermott down a notch.

3.Michael Carter-Williams, Syracuse - The Orange’s sophomore point guard accounted for his team’s final 13 points in Saturday’s win at Louisville, when he came up with two huge steals in the final 29 seconds. The nation’s assists leader (9.2) had 16 points against Cincinnati two nights later.

4.Jeff Withey, Kansas - Withey’s defensive presence in the paint continues to fuel the No. 3 Jayhawks, who haven’t lost in more than two months. Withey’s 4.3 blocks rank third in the country. Kansas State almost stayed out of the paint completely in Tuesday’s loss to KU because it knew it couldn’t score over Withey.

5.Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga - The 7-foot forward's numbers are impossible to ignore. Olynyk is averaging 18 points and 6.8 rebounds on the season. In his last seven games those numbers rise to 22.4 and 7.1. Olynyk runs the court well, has a nice touch on his shot, hits his free throws and is a physical presence inside.

rijman
01-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Kelly getting lots of ESPN love:

Numbers to Know: Thursday recap
January, 25, 2013
Jan 25 11:21AM ET
By Jeremy Lundblad, ESPN Stats & Info
Player of the Night – Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga
Olynyk has gone from one of the nation’s most improved players to simply being one of the nation’s best players. He had 26 points, nine rebounds and five assists in Gonzaga's thumping of BYU. Most impressively, Olynyk was 9-9 from the field and 8-8 from the line. Over the past 15 years, only Monmouth’s Blake Hamilton (2003) and Maryland’s Lonny Baxter (1998) had that many attempts of each without a miss.

Wooden Watch: King's POY ballot
January, 24, 2013
Jan 2411:17AM ET
By Jason King

Here’s my latest ballot:

1.Trey Burke, Michigan - Why not go with the nation’s top point guard? It certainly doesn’t hurt that he plays for what may be the nation’s best team. Burke averages 18 points and 7.2 assists while shooting 50 percent from the field. Michigan has a tough road game at Illinois on Sunday.

2.Doug McDermott, Creighton - McDermott was ill during Wednesday’s loss at Drake, but he still managed to score 17 points before intermission. Still, that setback coupled with the one Creighton suffered at Wichita State on Saturday knocked McDermott down a notch.

3.Michael Carter-Williams, Syracuse - The Orange’s sophomore point guard accounted for his team’s final 13 points in Saturday’s win at Louisville, when he came up with two huge steals in the final 29 seconds. The nation’s assists leader (9.2) had 16 points against Cincinnati two nights later.

4.Jeff Withey, Kansas - Withey’s defensive presence in the paint continues to fuel the No. 3 Jayhawks, who haven’t lost in more than two months. Withey’s 4.3 blocks rank third in the country. Kansas State almost stayed out of the paint completely in Tuesday’s loss to KU because it knew it couldn’t score over Withey.

5.Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga - The 7-foot forward's numbers are impossible to ignore. Olynyk is averaging 18 points and 6.8 rebounds on the season. In his last seven games those numbers rise to 22.4 and 7.1. Olynyk runs the court well, has a nice touch on his shot, hits his free throws and is a physical presence inside.
If you had posted in this forum at the start of the season that KO could be a top 5 contender for POY half way through the season and Cody Zeller was not, you probably would have been laughed off the forum and accorded the same level of respect given trolling Don's fans who lack a basic understanding of the english language. Sometimes truth IS stranger than fiction.

ZagsNP
01-25-2013, 11:53 AM
couldn't have come at a better time as his family was in attendance at the game last night.

UberZagFan
01-25-2013, 12:13 PM
KO has become dominant on so many levels it just truly amazing to watch.

rawkmandale
01-25-2013, 05:12 PM
One more year! One more year!

Birddog
01-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Sorry to quibble over your metaphor, but he's not in the clubhouse yet. Not even through the front nine.

I stand corrected, you are soooooo right but you did get the gist.

nonzagzag
01-25-2013, 06:46 PM
Interesting that KO shot the technical free throws - usually it has been Pangos

Ekrub
01-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Espn, or someone from espn had posted on twitter that a perfect game like the one KO had has only happened two other times in the past 15 years. Impressive stuff

UberZagFan
01-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Interesting that KO shot the technical free throws - usually it has been Pangos

It should have been GBJ shooting those free throws but Few is not one to understand the psychological benefits of that move.

Section 116
01-25-2013, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing that "Olynyk Clinic" sign again. I believe a gal was holding that one recently and I loved the creativity!

bballbeachbum
01-26-2013, 09:25 AM
good on Few for getting him out to preserve that line forever

what a performance it was too. Against BYU. Love it!

FieldHouseFishHouse
01-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Just a crazy great game for KO. But really when you think about it, he's had half a dozen unbelievable games this year.
9-9 is one thing, but KO managed to score in 9 different ways. alley-oop dunk, drop-step, turnaround in the post, catch and shoot, crossover- jumper in your eye, on the offensive glass. The only way he didn't score (and this is becoming one of his signature moves) was off his own miss.

gamagin
01-26-2013, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing that "Olynyk Clinic" sign again. I believe a gal was holding that one recently and I loved the creativity!

a blonde bombshell. But like you (he said rubbing his wedding ring), I, too, hardly noticed . . .