PDA

View Full Version : Worst ever

jazzdelmar
01-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Walton called it "the worst inbounds pass in the history of basketball."

This game is gonna run late.

kclubfounder
01-24-2013, 06:12 PM
It took me about 1 second to think of this moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjwKSwwcdyU

I suspect there are others.

jazzdelmar
01-24-2013, 06:16 PM
It took me about 1 second to think of this moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjwKSwwcdyU

I suspect there are others.

Priceless moment at the Gahden.

RenoZag
01-24-2013, 06:19 PM
It's too bad that when they fused his ankle they didn't do the same with his mouth. . .

but, hey, that's OK, he's Bill freakin' Walton, he's entitled to his acid-addled opinion.

Sheesh.

kclubfounder
01-24-2013, 06:24 PM
How about this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvdJoT18nAs

Remind anyone of anything?

caduceus
01-24-2013, 06:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/KGqw8aJ.gif

rawkmandale
01-24-2013, 06:42 PM
This was the greatest stolen inbounds in the history of basketball:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0vwJlvB-Po

ZagMan in Philly
01-24-2013, 06:43 PM
at the end of the TNT knicks vs celtics game, with knicks up by three and 7 seconds left, and they were inbounding the ball, steve kerr brought up the inbound between the zags and butler, and said, game is not over yet...yikes, we will never hear the end of this infamous inbound pass.

Kiddwell
01-24-2013, 06:49 PM
Kiddwell was just thinking about starting a Bill "The FBI is the Enemy" Walton thread--in particular: Is Walton the "new" Most Irritating Color Commentator on the Surface of the Planet?

:]

<...God bless him...> :pray:

Pargo the Destroyer
01-24-2013, 06:51 PM
This game is being played in 10 second chunks. 10 seconds, whistle. 10 seconds, turnover. Terrible.

jazzdelmar
01-24-2013, 06:53 PM

Whoa. Greater than "Havlicek stole the ball, johnny Havlicek stole the ball?"

bballbeachbum
01-24-2013, 06:54 PM
at the end of the TNT knicks vs celtics game, with knicks up by three and 7 seconds left, and they were inbounding the ball, steve kerr brought up the inbound between the zags and butler, and said, game is not over yet...yikes, we will never hear the end of this infamous inbound pass.

ouch

rawkmandale
01-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Maybe because I was rooting harder for Bird and team. I think I was rooting against the Havlicek team, if I remember right - loads of respect for that guy tho...

kclubfounder
01-24-2013, 06:57 PM

Notice who was standing on the sideline?

caduceus
01-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Anybody see this yesterday? She's a freshman, stole the ball with no time left, and sunk a 3/4 court shot.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/8874479

jazzdelmar
01-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Greatest Celt EVER.

Pleasant Peninsula
01-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Notice who was standing on the sideline?

Exactly. I gotta think Walton had his tongue in cheek there.

Whoa. Greater than "Havlicek stole the ball, johnny Havlicek stole the ball?"

The Bird steal/Isiah inbound pass was much better/worse than the Havlicek steal, because it led directly to the winning basket. The Havlicek steal was iconic mostly for the announcer going bananas, and it became the first iconic audio call of the fledgling NBA. But Bird's was far more impactful.

jazzdelmar
01-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Exactly. I gotta think Walton had his tongue in cheek there.

The Bird steal/Isiah inbound pass was much better/worse than the Havlicek steal, because it led directly to the winning basket. The Havlicek steal was iconic mostly for the announcer going bananas, and it became the first iconic audio call of the fledgling NBA. But Bird's was far more impactful.

Huh? Hondo's steal won a Conference Championship.

Goshzagit
01-24-2013, 07:08 PM

honestly, there was so much more in that game to be concerned with than that single play(i.e. our defense on Rooselvelt, not a single switch on the non-stop double screens, the defense down the stretch, the overuse of certain players and non-use of effective ones, not utilizing match-ups appropriately, the lack of getting our guards shots, etc); however, we'll never hear the end of that one play.

Its the FIRST time my co-workers ever mentioned Gonzaga or admit to watching Gonzaga...

Monday morning, nearly everyone I came in contact with offered their condolences and said, "Man, we were thinking about you after that play. Heartbreaking. We're sorry."

What??

Even the non-sports folks approached me. I mean c'mon. Was our inbounds play(or lack thereof) aired on NBC Nightly News or 60 minutes or what?! Sheesh.

HOOTER
01-24-2013, 07:18 PM
This game is gonna run late.

:espn2::explode:

ZagMan in Philly
01-24-2013, 07:19 PM
watching it on espn news..fast tempo

zagfan07
01-24-2013, 07:19 PM
:espn2::explode:

It's on ESPNNEWS right now

Pleasant Peninsula
01-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Huh? Hondo's steal won a Conference Championship.

I know, Jazz. Bird's steal of the Isiah pass and subsequent pass to DJ for the game winning bucket won the Celtics a Conference Championship, too!

Granted, Hondo's steal came in Game 7 and ended the series, whereas Bird's steal came in Game 5. Point to Havlicek.

All the other points are heavily in Bird's favor.

The Celtics were down a point when Bird stole the ball. With the ball and the lead and 5 seconds to go, the Pistons had a 90%+ chance of winning that game and given that it was a closely contested series and home court advantage being what it is in such a series, they probably had a 60% chance of winning the series (they in fact, won Game 6 in Detroit, and then lost game 7 at the Garden). One play later and the Celtics were a 75-25% (an estimate, yes) favorite to win the series.

Contrast that with game 7 of ECF in 1965. Down a point with 5 seconds left, the 76ers maybe had a 20-30% chance of winning the game/series. Hondo's steal ended those hopes and was a great moment, but it wasn't as "impactful" -- it didn't turn the outcome of the series in the same way. It simply solidified what was already the likely outcome.

This is because the Bird play wasn't just a steal -- it was a steal followed by an alert pass to a cutting player for the game winning shot. Whereas, Havlicek simply tipped the ball to his teammate, Bird grabbed the ball, spun, and made the game winning assist.

Bird steal > Havlicek steal.

And it's not particularly close.

surfmonkey89
01-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Walton called it "the worst inbounds pass in the history of basketball."

You're like a multimedia negativity bloodhound. If someone said something negative about GU while you were in an airplane miles above the earth, you would somehow find out about it and post it.

Zagdawg
01-24-2013, 09:20 PM
LOL---yes some people have their niches in life.

gonwick
01-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Wasn't too hard to find this quote. Gu is a national punchline for that play. It was referenced in multiple other games. glad the team responded tonight, although it seems the lesson we have learned is to huck it into the backcourt. better than nothing I suppose.

coolhandzag
01-24-2013, 09:21 PM
I liked Walton better with the speech inpediment.

FieldHouseFishHouse
01-24-2013, 09:29 PM
How about this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkWOxWX4GP0

CDC84
01-24-2013, 09:44 PM
I honestly don't know how that play by play guy can tolerate Walton during the Pac 12 broadcasts. It's like being trapped with a non-stop yapper in a two seater with no stereo on an 800 mile road trip. Pure torture.

GeorgiaZagFan
01-24-2013, 09:52 PM
I might agree if it wasn't for the fact that EVERYONE (except Butler fans) saw the defender push Olynyk about 10 feet as he went for the ball.

NotoriousZ
01-24-2013, 09:52 PM
I honestly don't know how that play by play guy can tolerate Walton during the Pac 12 broadcasts. It's like being trapped with a non-stop yapper in a two seater with no stereo on an 800 mile road trip. Pure torture.

:roll:

Walton the basketball player > Walton the announcer

The 'greater than' symbol just does not do justice as to how much I hate listening to that guy.

CDC84
01-25-2013, 08:00 PM
What's amazing is that Walton used to not be this bad as a broadcaster. I mean, he's always been bad, but not this bad. Job experience hasn't helped him. Too many Grateful Dead concerts perhaps?

maynard g krebs
01-25-2013, 10:35 PM
I like Walton (although I agree his comment about the inbounds was asinine). To me he's a breath of fresh air compared to those other guys. Few if any players ever had a better sense of how to play the game.

Not the first time I've been outside the mainstream, probably not the last.