PDA

View Full Version : Halftime: Does Anyone Have Some Scoop?

BobZag
01-23-2013, 10:15 AM
I read that Social Areas will be closed at halftime of BYU game because the GU president will be announcing something big. I assume Social Areas refer to the Bulldog Room and Herak Room.

Sooooooo, anyone know what the big news will be?

foo
01-23-2013, 10:18 AM
I read that Social Areas will be closed at halftime of BYU game because the GU president will be announcing something big. I assume Social Areas refer to the Bulldog Room and Herak Room.

Sooooooo, anyone know what the big news will be?

The Foo believes this is being done out of respect for our opponent and their beliefs to keep the crowd sober.

zaglife
01-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Kinda like a state of the union address from what I hear. Tell us how great our fine institution is.

zaglife
01-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Going to be fireworks after the game also...look towards the lake at around 1030.

jazzdelmar
01-23-2013, 10:22 AM
he's gonna reveal why bell's scoring is impotent?

LAZAGFAN11
01-23-2013, 10:24 AM
I have heard word from a source that Gonzaga plans to build a hall of fame building / room that will be a tribute to athletes such as Burgess, Stockton, Turiaf, ect. This could also be an announcement of the new student union.

cjm720
01-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Very interesting. Seems too early for conference realignment.

jazzdelmar
01-23-2013, 10:29 AM
is it time for another cajillion dollar capital fund raising campaign?

emeritus status for Few?

merger with some small, all women college nearby?

more seats?

honorary degrees to our top posters?

more parking?

independence for the law school?

tuition decrease?

end of co-education?

big catholic acceptance?

another daughter on the way?

i could go on.....

LongIslandZagFan
01-23-2013, 10:32 AM
It IS. The day after the 125th anniversary.

americasteam
01-23-2013, 10:32 AM
National Gonzaga Day event:
At the beginning of halftime of the men's basketball game (approx. 9:00 p.m. PST), there will be a short, special program that will broadcast live on the web. No matter where you are, you can see it right here, featuring a video showcasing alumni around the world, shout-outs from celebrations across the country and a special message from President Thayne McCulloh

sittingon50
01-23-2013, 11:02 AM
just as long as the bathrooms aren't closed......

gonstu
01-23-2013, 11:05 AM

my vote!

Zag 77
01-23-2013, 11:10 AM
GU is going alcohol free.

willandi
01-23-2013, 11:55 AM
A dedicated alcove, at the Mac, to the Foo's very own "More Boobies", but expanded to also include the likes of Samhan, Gingrich et al.

cjm720
01-23-2013, 01:33 PM
National Gonzaga Day event:
At the beginning of halftime of the men's basketball game (approx. 9:00 p.m. PST), there will be a short, special program that will broadcast live on the web. No matter where you are, you can see it right here, featuring a video showcasing alumni around the world, shout-outs from celebrations across the country and a special message from President Thayne McCulloh

awesome. I still don't see why they need to close the Bulldog room and force people to forego beer. not cool!

DixieZag
01-23-2013, 01:43 PM
awesome. I still don't see why they need to close the Bulldog room and force people to forego beer. not cool!

To ensure that there are more than 50 people around to get the news.

I suspect that he will announce he has decided to have a statue of himself placed on top of the Ad building. J/K - love the guy

DixieZag
01-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Made a couple of phone calls and got the inside dish:

President McCullah is transferring, he will take the year off and when eligible will become President of UNLV. The next President, by contract, will be Tommy Lloyd.

sittingon50
01-23-2013, 06:01 PM
:roll:

Norcalzag
01-23-2013, 06:41 PM
I believe we will be hearing an announcement about construction of GU's new student center, which will be built where the COG now stands.

basketballzag
01-23-2013, 07:21 PM
How about the establishment of a Medical School.

gamagin
01-23-2013, 08:06 PM
to all of the fans for paying off the K2 in short order, or some sort of short basketball-centric celebration*, I think this admin is risking making this captive audience ticked off for no good reason.

They have all our names, email addresses and phone numbers. We are really easy to reach. I'd be happy to look at any video they sent me. Just about anytime. I'm fully aware of the new COG and the parking garage projects.

All that said, I am in to & at and focused on the game and treat everything else until the game is over, like the unwanted and unsolicited interruptions they would be. It would not be a good time to try and sell me something. Nor leave me dry.

basketballus interruptus.

* retire a jersey, perhaps ??

Birddog
01-24-2013, 03:21 AM
It would not be a good time to try and sell me something. Nor leave me dry.

basketballus interruptus.
This could go down badly. It would be like Fr Allbut giving a sermon during the 5:00AM fishermans/hunters Mass.

gu03alum
01-24-2013, 04:20 AM
At least you won't have to worry about all the people walking in front of you during the first 5 minutes of the second half.

Zagnificent
01-24-2013, 04:23 AM
I'd bet that they have a plan to put a new student center in place (finally). They promised that when I was a student about four years ago, and they STILL haven't made any steps in that direction. A top-tier university like Gonzaga needs a student center that is on par with its basketball stadium.

gu03alum
01-24-2013, 04:53 AM
I'd bet that they have a plan to put a new student center in place (finally). They promised that when I was a student about four years ago, and they STILL haven't made any steps in that direction. A top-tier university like Gonzaga needs a student center that is on par with its basketball stadium.

The donor pulled out. It wasn't the University's fault. It was the poor economy.

Schmitty
01-24-2013, 06:41 AM

$60 million Student Union Building. Contractor selected, construction will start this Summer. Also building a new golf and tennis center.

zag4life2011
01-24-2013, 06:46 AM

Does seem to be about time for another one, doesn't it? Didn't the last one end ~10 years ago?

If I were a betting man (I'm not), I'd put money on the announcement of a new campaign or student center. Both have been talked about for awhile with little materializing....

What I hope it ISN'T: an announcement about us joining the Catholic 7. Can't imagine that would be the case since Zaninovich will be there.

zag4life2011
01-24-2013, 06:49 AM
$60 million Student Union Building. Contractor selected, construction will start this Summer. Also building a new golf and tennis center.

Wow.... finally got money for the golf and tennis center, huh? It seems like they have had those blueprints posted on the website to attract donors for the last 5 or 6 years.

RenoZag
01-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Shoot, I thought they were going to reinstate the 10% discount at the bookstore for Life Members of the Alumni Assn. . .when the new vendor ( Follette) took over, they voided that deal. . .

So, the card in my wallet with Marty Pujolar's promise of a lifetime's worth of discount shopping for Zag swag on my intermitant returns to campus is now null & void. . .

There ought to be some sort of remedy via tort law. . .

Angelo ?

FieldHouseFishHouse
01-24-2013, 05:25 PM
I didn't really understand the title of the thread.
I thought the OP was talking about slamming mouth wash at halftime due to the lack of available alcohol.

RenoZag
01-24-2013, 08:15 PM
No mention of golf or tennis center and no hard commitment to breaking ground either. . .he said they would start "very soon" as long as the fundraising that supplements the major donation proceeds as planned. . .

gozagswoohoo
01-24-2013, 08:25 PM
So wait? What was the announcement?

RenoZag
01-24-2013, 08:32 PM
There's a major commitment towards replacing the COG and they expect to start construction very soon. Architectural drawings were shown, and the President's comments are paraphrased above. . .he did not confirm what Schmitty said re: breaking ground this summer. . .not really a "oh wow" moment at all.

Glad the alma mater continues to upgrade the facilities but the webcast seemed a bit off.

webspinnre
01-24-2013, 09:28 PM
How about the card trick thing?

Birddog
01-24-2013, 09:45 PM
It was OK, nothing to write home about.

gozagswoohoo
01-24-2013, 09:47 PM

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Oregonzagnut
01-24-2013, 09:56 PM

Pick a card. Any card. Don't tell me what it is and put it back in the deck.

Angelo Roncalli
01-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Shoot, I thought they were going to reinstate the 10% discount at the bookstore for Life Members of the Alumni Assn. . .when the new vendor ( Follette) took over, they voided that deal. . .

So, the card in my wallet with Marty Pujolar's promise of a lifetime's worth of discount shopping for Zag swag on my intermitant returns to campus is now null & void. . .

There ought to be some sort of remedy via tort law. . .

Angelo ?

Sorry, I've got a conflict. ;)

ZagNative
01-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Here's the half-time show on Youtube (http://youtu.be/rXhJOq2piGg).