• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

I'll be darned...

Reading the Louisville board nights makes me wonder if a bunch of our posters moved to Kentucky and changed their board names?

You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor
  • Zag79
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I think more importantly, that's what these boards are for. If everyone said the coach is perfect regardless of outcome and we all agreed on everything, the board wouldn't have a purpose. Seems to me people should appreciate the differences we have when watching sports, and be open to discussing it on a site that "supports" basketball conversation. Minus the attacks on players, coaches, and posters its all usually solid basketball x's and o's banter on here. Who says all the craziness is a bad thing?

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2011

This board is like our team. 17-2. 17 good posts for about 2 bad ones. I'm not going to judge our team by the 2 losses. I know one thing for sure, people who don't care about the Zags don't post here. So I trust each member is a pretty loyal fan. If anything we are guilty of caring far more than the average fan.

I guess I'm guilty.
      “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• ZagaZags
        Banned
        • May 2010

Teams better win or.......

The fans are going to roast the coach and players. That is what sports have come to. Rick Pitino is one of the best in the NCAA. Win every game or we want you head on a stick.

Comment

• DZ
          Zag for Life
          • Sep 2007

I have often wondered if one went on any top 20 board in the country whether they would find the same things discussed here.

I imagine a lot of teams say they can't defend the 3 b/c we all have vivid memories of getting torched by a team whereas normal games come and go - - every team has a player that is struggling, every team questions coaching decisions. . . blah blah blah.

I suspect that I am on to something. . . my bro, an SCU alum has said that he has never seen more whining from fans of 2 loss team (and he is a UTexas alum from grad school! - serious about them horns).
          Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
          Mark Twain.

Comment

• bartruff1
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2010

Your brother is smart !!!

Comment

• Chicken Ball
              Kennel Club
              • Feb 2007

THe main reason I come here, other than for news about the team and recruiting, is for the analysis of our wins and losses, which is often more insightful coming from our posters here than from most of the media. That includes analysis of losses. I enjoy reading people's thoughts on why we win or why we lose. Sometimes the analysis of losses bleeds over into acrimony, but this board is better than most at avoiding that. On the other hand, some posters are too quick to confuse analysis for mean spirited criticism.

Comment

• GoZags
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                I have often wondered if one went on any top 20 board in the country whether they would find the same things discussed here.

I imagine a lot of teams say they can't defend the 3 b/c we all have vivid memories of getting torched by a team whereas normal games come and go - - every team has a player that is struggling, every team questions coaching decisions. . . blah blah blah.

I suspect that I am on to something. . . my bro, an SCU alum has said that he has never seen more whining from fans of 2 loss team (and he is a UTexas alum from grad school! - serious about them horns).
                I guess part of me would like to think Gonzaga is just a little different than most of the traditional Top 20 Programs. I guess in some ways, GU is. In other ways ..... it's "me too".

Regardless, I'm appreciating and enjoying this season of Gonzaga Basketball (particularly since '13 is the 40th Anniversary of my arrival on Campus as a Freshman). BTW, I've appreciated and enjoyed the other 39 seasons that I've followed as well.
                sigpic
                “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                ——-
                List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• rennis
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

Message boards bring out the worst in people. It's just nature.

I find most posts here to be thoughtful and sincere, even if the post is uninformed or assumptive. As far as the internet goes, that's about as good as it gets.
                  Originally posted by Coach Few
                  We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2009

I had the pleasure of listening to a Louisville sports radio station's "fan meltdown" three days after Matt Santangelo and Axel Dench knocked them out of the NCAAs in 2000. That is a seriously frantic fan base. Caller after caller was asking for Denny Crum's head. They complained that he was too old. They complained that the young guy from Gonzaga completely outcoached him. They complained that he couldn't get top-tier recruits that could compete. They complained that his kids weren't motivated. They complained that he'd lost his love of the game, etc.

The tone of the calls then shifted to outrage at the selection committee for making Louisville play a team as good as Gonzaga in the first round. Comments essentially implied that Gonzaga was better than Louisville, so they should have been seeded quite a bit higher and Louisville should have drawn an easier first round opponent. They were all quite certain that Louisville was as good as their Top-25 ranking and equally certain that Gonzaga was better. They were mad that their Top-25 team drew a seven seed and equally mad that Gonzaga was a ten. By that point, Gonzaga had also downed second-seeded St. John's, so they were all pretty sure that Gonzaga should have been a four or five seed.

I caught that radio station driving on I-90 through upstate New York. I have no idea how it tuned in to that location, but I was able to listen to those calls for about 45 minutes. It was quite surreal.
                    “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• bartruff1
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by rennis View Post
                      Message boards bring out the worst in people. It's just nature.

I find most posts here to be thoughtful and sincere, even if the post is uninformed or assumptive. As far as the internet goes, that's about as good as it gets.
                      ....I am going to take that advice....thanks for your insight...

Comment

• Zag79
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post

Very true, most message boards are the same with the exception of the issues discussed. Each is tailored to that specific team, its fans, players, pros and cons. I wouldn't say we have too many "whiny" posters, but then again what some deem whiny others may not.

I would say we have some overly sensetive posters, as well as a few crazies who are over the top (player and coach bashers). For the most part this is a great place to talk hoops, the moderators do a great job keeping it that way.

Comment

• CDC84
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

That was a bad loss last night for Louisville. Villanova isn't good at all this year.

Comment

• Zag79
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

That was a bad loss last night for Louisville. Villanova isn't good at all this year.
                            Terrible loss... but 17 to's, 12-24 from the stripe, and sub 40% shooting will do that to you especially on the road. Ugly!

Comment

• rennis
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2007

Amazing considering how bad they made a pretty talented UConn team look in the 2nd half last Monday.
                              Originally posted by Coach Few
                              We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X