PDA

View Full Version : Katz on Mid-Major Status

SageOfZagville
01-21-2013, 12:49 PM
2. In the lead-up to Gonzaga-Butler on Saturday, please don't refer to these teams as mid-major. I will continue to hammer this home, even to the point of being too repetitive. I don't like the term mid-major. I don't like labels. The net is cast way too wide. Is Creighton the same as St. Francis? Not at all. Oh, that's right, St. Francis is low-major. Stop. Gonzaga and Butler both now travel by charter. Their coaches make close to or more than $1 million a year. The fan bases are more passionate than a number of power-six (another label) conference teams. Both of these schools get invites to high-profile tournaments, can land quality home-and-home series and are ranked. These are all things schools like Washington State or Texas Tech or Penn State or Boston College, among others, would love to have to sell. Just because those schools are in a conference with major college football doesn't put their basketball programs at a higher level. They're not. Gonzaga and Butler are high-major (label) programs now. There is nothing mid-major about either one.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/katz-3-point-shot

SageOfZagville
01-21-2013, 12:51 PM
The more I watch the final possession in the Gonzaga-Butler game, the more I don't understand why David Stockton didn't throw the ball toward his own basket rather than in the middle of the court. If the ball goes to that end, and even if it gets stolen, then Butler would have had to go nearly 90 feet and someone like Jones would have had to take a 3-pointer, not a floater in the lane.

The Gonzaga meltdown on the final possession was reminiscent of the 2006 Sweet 16 loss to UCLA in Oakland. In that game, the Zags would have won if J.P. Batista hadn't been picked when he brought the ball down, allowing Jordan Farmar to steal and feed Luc Richard Mbah a Moute for a layup and a one-point lead with 8.6 seconds left. That play ultimately propelled the Bruins to the first of three consecutive Final Fours. Few can forget Adam Morrison crying in disbelief after that game.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy

UberZagFan
01-21-2013, 12:51 PM
2. In the lead-up to Gonzaga-Butler on Saturday, please don't refer to these teams as mid-major. I will continue to hammer this home, even to the point of being too repetitive. I don't like the term mid-major. I don't like labels. The net is cast way too wide. Is Creighton the same as St. Francis? Not at all. Oh, that's right, St. Francis is low-major. Stop. Gonzaga and Butler both now travel by charter. Their coaches make close to or more than $1 million a year. The fan bases are more passionate than a number of power-six (another label) conference teams. Both of these schools get invites to high-profile tournaments, can land quality home-and-home series and are ranked. These are all things schools like Washington State or Texas Tech or Penn State or Boston College, among others, would love to have to sell. Just because those schools are in a conference with major college football doesn't put their basketball programs at a higher level. They're not. Gonzaga and Butler are high-major (label) programs now. There is nothing mid-major about either one.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/katz-3-point-shot

Ouch.

CDC84
01-21-2013, 01:09 PM
The Gonzaga meltdown on the final possession was reminiscent of the 2006 Sweet 16 loss to UCLA in Oakland. In that game, the Zags would have won if J.P. Batista hadn't been picked when he brought the ball down, allowing Jordan Farmar to steal and feed Luc Richard Mbah a Moute for a layup and a one-point lead with 8.6 seconds left. That play ultimately propelled the Bruins to the first of three consecutive Final Fours. Few can forget Adam Morrison crying in disbelief after that game.

A play where JP Batista was hacked.

23zagmd
01-21-2013, 01:38 PM
We even had a timeout to talk about this and go over all the options. There is literally NO upside to ever inbounding the ball in a direction other than away from your own hoop. Ask James Worthy!

Get beat on a half court prayer from mid court, but good god!!! a floater in the lane???

CDC, as for hacked. You only GOT hacked if you are standing at the FT line with the BONUS sign blinking. If it didn't get called, it didn't happen! Part of the game. Take care of the ball.

sittingon50
01-21-2013, 01:59 PM
There were no timeouts left.