PDA

View Full Version : New Uniforms cursed?

Zag 77
01-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Time will tell if they follow the pattern of the forgotten unlucky red uniforms, or if they can be at least as effective as the black ones.

Seriously, I assume this is all so GU can get a cut of what NIke makes for silly people willing to pay $60 bucks (surely not more than that !) for a replica.

My critique:

The uniforms do not say "Gonzaga" or "Zags." The color scheme is OK, but take the Bulldog off the chest and replace it with "Gonzaga."

No names on the back. Says "Bulldogs." Meh.

Pants seem a little tight.

Maybe they will get a second chance for the next road games at LMU and USD in 2 weeks. If we lose another wearing them, I say burn them.

thespywhozaggedme
01-20-2013, 03:38 PM
I readily admit that I am often a contrarian, but I liked them.

bartruff1
01-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Superstition ???......Really ??.....

BobZag
01-20-2013, 04:11 PM
No superstition here, but I just didn't like them. The red trim looks bad and the waist looks like it's hanging too low on the hip. Just not a good luck, imo. Prefer previous blacks and blues.

HenneZag
01-20-2013, 04:18 PM
A cpl things I would have like to see different though:

Waist band navy instead of red

and Zags or Bulldogs on front instead of the Bulldog because it kinda makes them look more the like a practice style Jersey. Bulldogs I thought would have been cool and different because we have nothing with that on our current jersey choices.

But otherwise thought they were pretty slick

kitzbuel
01-20-2013, 04:57 PM
It was really, really hard to see the numbers on the jerseys. Numbers need more contrast. I couldn't see the Bulldogs on the back of the jerseys either. Red on black is not a good combo.

Other than that, I thought they were OK. I kinda liked the Bulldogs on the back. Sort of like the Army football jerseys this year that had West Point on the back.

rennis
01-20-2013, 04:59 PM
I did NOT like them!

Some wolf grey with blue and red is what I want, if we are gonna have an alternate jersey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ziggy
01-20-2013, 06:23 PM
I prefer the Jesuit Blacks for road alternates, especially after the great road swing we had earlier in the season. These unis reminded me of boxing togs, just missing the high lace up boots.

Booster
01-20-2013, 08:34 PM
At the request of Coach Few, they are the darkest navy blue that can be made. He didn't want black or the standard navy. The whole idea is about going on the road and taking a piece of home with you; the bulldog mascot, no personal names on the back.

You may not like them, but according to the players they all love them. Kevin's Mom was super excited about them at the game. Fr Hightower also showered praise over the new uni's. Point here is that the program thinks they're great. It's up the players if and when they decide to wear them again. No curse here. Keep in mind the first time they wore the new blacks, they lost.

Gonzaga is one of 10 national programs fortunate to wear the road warrior package. One of the elite programs in the country.

zagapotomus
01-20-2013, 08:46 PM
The warm ups were off the chain. Especially when they came onto the floor with hoods up and each successively took them off.

Hoopaholic
01-20-2013, 08:48 PM
The entire garb remind me of Mohamed Ali....big time prize fighter uniforms..loved them. Only complaint is not sure they were properly fitted. A ftee watching game for third time it was very apparent pango and several others were constantly pulling the shorts up....but I loved them

Zag 77
01-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Fr Hightower also showered praise over the new uni's.

I like Fr. Craig, but I am not sure I would take fashion tips from a Jesuit. A lot of them wear white socks with sandals.

I am a little amused at the notion of letting a bunch of teenagers decide.

Zagguy
01-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Just wow. Those "teenagers" are the ones playing the game, not you.

Hoopaholic
01-20-2013, 09:21 PM
I found it to be exceptional that the team got a say in how they represent their school and community....kudos to those who offered that opportunity...leadership and buy in by the key stakeholders...

CDC84
01-20-2013, 11:58 PM
I don't like new uniforms. I can't stand the recent trend (see Florida's road jerseys as well) of teams adorning jerseys where you can't read the player's number either on the TV screen or in person. If I didn't watch Gonzaga on a regular basis, I would've had no ability to identify players. Granted, I don't have a super duper HD television at home, but they need to make the numbers clearer. Give me white letters please.

I have always preferred to see player's last names on the upper back of their jerseys. Again, I want individual players to be clearly identified. I've never really bought into "we stand as one as a team" mentality that goes into not have players last names on their jersey. But that is just a minor issue with me.

23dpg
01-21-2013, 12:03 AM
I'd love to see them break out the old school royal blue unis of the 90s.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-21-2013, 04:29 AM
I like the traditional road uniform over this one, but this one isn't too bad. They are way better than the red ones as an alternate road uni. I'm glad that we are still resisting the trend toward obnoxious day-glo colors (a la Baylor, and Oregon).

Zagcity
01-21-2013, 07:17 AM
Superstition ???......Really ??.....

I knew I had the right socks on when the player from Butler traveled. But I was quickly reminded they were'nt when Butler's shot went in at .5 left on the clock. :fingergun:

NotoriousZ
01-21-2013, 08:01 AM
They could be called cursed if we layed a giant turd on national TV. But it was a great game, and everybody who saw it (committee members ;)) would have come away thinking the Zags are really, really good--which we are. :)

I liked the red trim but didn't care for the Bulldog picture on the front. It made me think of the Huskies football helmets when they were terrible.

LynetteG
01-21-2013, 09:18 AM
The warm ups were off the chain. Especially when they came onto the floor with hoods up and each successively took them off.

Agreed, the warm ups ROCKED! Did not at all care for the uniforms, bleech. The waist band reminded me of the scarves bullfighters wear.

zagamatic
01-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Has anyone else seen the show,I believe it was on National Geographic channel, where they showed some Olympic martial arts bouts with the participants wearing red for one and blue for the other? They asked some officials to judge the bouts. Red UNIS won easily. Then they digitally changed the colors so the exact same fighters in the exact same match had their colors changed from red to blue and blue to red. Again, red won easily even though the same person who was wearing blue before lost in the exact same replay. Coincidence? I think not. Color of the Jersey definitely plays into it. Wonder what those people who made the show say about black uniforms?

Zagsker
01-21-2013, 09:32 AM

A) "bunch of teenagers"?..I am thinking a majority of the team is 20+

B) all that matters is if the current players, targeted recruits and future recruits like them. It is these little things that can make your program standout a little more to the public

ZagLawGrad
01-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Them be some ugly unis.

Saxon_zag
01-21-2013, 12:22 PM

Lol.......:roll:

Just as amusing as being a fan of a team of "a bunch of teenagers" i suppose

UberZagFan
01-21-2013, 01:21 PM
No curse yet but well on the way...

Uber liked the new unis as a good atlernate...no names on back; logo on front. Just something different. Probably not great for an everyday thing but a good little twist.

As for the "Bulldogs" on front, Uber would be all for that. The home unis should be "Bulldogs"; the away "Gonzaga" and the main alternate "Zags" (the blacks) and a one-two time thing with these new ones with the logo is just fine with Uber.

But please, never go gray. Those "wolf" gray or slate gray unis are just the worst, ugliest thing out there. It's also very difficult to watch because the contrast is so horrid. When GU played Ok St and the Cowboys wore those, it was hard to watch. Same goes when WSU and WVU wear them in football.

hondo
01-21-2013, 02:04 PM
I like the new uniforms a lot --the bulldog is great. However I fear the red menace. It is a creeping threat to us all. It's the domino effect, first the pin striping is red--no big deal. Then more trim is red--still no big deal. Then those horrid totally red travel unis of of a few years ago and someday mark my words red will replace blue as our school's primary color. Then the apocalypse.
What ever happened to " Blue and White full of fight--fight on to victory"?

NotoriousZ
01-21-2013, 02:07 PM
But please, never go gray.

Agreed. And since these uni's are the darkest navy they could find, you could call them the UberNavy's.

Zag 77
01-21-2013, 04:19 PM
What ever happened to " Blue and White full of fight--fight on to victory"?

Hondo, they did not ask the alumni, but they got rid of the fight song a couple of years ago and replaced it with " Bulldogs of Gonzaga."

http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&ATCLID=205174361

Another pillar of Western Civilization has collapsed.

rennis
01-21-2013, 04:32 PM
But please, never go gray. Those "wolf" gray or slate gray unis are just the worst, ugliest thing out there. It's also very difficult to watch because the contrast is so horrid. When GU played Ok St and the Cowboys wore those, it was hard to watch. Same goes when WSU and WVU wear them in football.

Wolf Grey unis are the shiz. Just ask Russell Wilson and everyone else who plays for the Hawks.

:)

ID ZAGFAN
01-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Actually, as I recall, they didn't ask anybody. The band director (David f a g ue) decided unilaterally that we should have an original song (the old one was based on an old classic from I think William and Mary). He wrote the music and Lazar wrote the lyrics.

I emailed him, protesting the decision,and his response wasbasically --it's a done deal.

Hilarous that his name is censored.

ZaGranny

hondo
01-21-2013, 05:51 PM
One more time for old time's sake.
http://youtu.be/MunRLFZIr2Y

BobZag
01-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Hondo, they did not ask the alumni, but they got rid of the fight song a couple of years ago and replaced it with " Bulldogs of Gonzaga."

http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&ATCLID=205174361

Another pillar of Western Civilization has collapsed.

The fight song before the new song was borrowed from another college, wasn't it? The new, current fight song is original and written by a Zag. Do y'all fogies really prefer a borrowed copy from another school over an original Zag song?

hondo
01-21-2013, 06:08 PM
That "old Song" was the song that our dear mothers (God bless their souls) rocked us to sleep by when we were babies.
Right Gamagin?
Right 77, Bird dog, Angelo?
Is nothing sacred anymore?

ZagLawGrad
01-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Wolf Grey unis are the shiz. Just ask Russell Wilson and everyone else who plays for the Hawks.

:)

I'd take that sea wolf color over those red and blue unis from the Butler game any time.

teacher56
01-21-2013, 07:32 PM
The new uniforms cursed?

Of course not!
They're totally!

10 Piece Bucket
01-21-2013, 07:49 PM
If the lads are happy with the uniforms-I am happy with the uniforms.
On the topic of the song --has anyone else noticed that part of the
lyrics don't rhyme well?

gamagin
01-21-2013, 08:01 PM
That "old Song" was the song that our dear mothers (God bless their souls) rocked us to sleep by when we were babies.
Right Gamagin?
Right 77, Bird dog, Angelo?
Is nothing sacred anymore?

I've noticed NOTHING seems to happen when the new song is played in the K2. Few, if any, fans seem to realize it's our new go-to-war song. The KC doesn't seem to jump up and join in. It's like background noise instead of a call to battle, follwed by whooping and cheering. So what's with that ?

I've tried to get into it and the words when they run on the scoreboard during home games a few times. But it doesn't do much for me. Not just because I favor the original, familiar song, which is part of it. but because this newby doesn't seem to move or inspire anyone else, like those who may not care one way or the other. I feel no inspiration.

For the record, we five brothers had to sing the original song before every meal. And before we left the table after the meal. And even when there was no meal. That was our fight song at St. Al's and at Gonzaga Prep, too.

My dad played it on his piano every time he sat down to play. And he played professionally for many years. He played for cold beers for many years on St. Paddy's day at Joey's (now Jack and Dan's). And that song ALWAYS was the most popular song and brought the house down.

Birddog
01-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Yep Hondo, I still pull out my Kazoo and play the song regularly. It's a classic like "Danny Boy" or "Louie Louie". Sister Gretchen Mary first taught me on piano in the basement of St Aloysius Grade School.

Zag 77
01-21-2013, 08:48 PM
I agree. And I miss the old Bulldog logo with the sailor hat, too.

My Motto:

REMEMBER, CHANGE IS BAD !!!!! I HATE CHANGE !!!

RenoZag
01-21-2013, 09:21 PM
And I miss the old Bulldog logo with the sailor hat, too.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x375/RenoZag/IMG_00661.jpg

caduceus
01-21-2013, 10:49 PM
I like the uni's. I think they'd look better with real blue, and white lettering (agree they're illegible on TV) though.

Not a fan of the new fight song, but I can understand the desire for something original.

Is this thing on???
http://i.imgur.com/FczPFYr.gif

Oregonzagnut
01-21-2013, 11:37 PM
A) "bunch of teenagers"?..I am thinking a majority of the team is 20+

It all depends on whether ones opinion is that the team is a bunch of kids who could crumble under the weight of fans expectations OR that the team is bunch of grown men who volunteered for this gig and probably have learned to phase out 99% of the opinions that do not concern them. Eat, sleep, study, practice, perform. In that order.

And they balance those things in the long term better than most adults in America can even balance daily. They got me beat in the "adult" department probably before they were 17-18 yrs old.

Zag 77
01-22-2013, 01:47 PM
77 Zag and GoZags may remember this. Back when I was at GU around 1976 or 1977, we did not have a pep band, so GU invited in local high school bands. Most were OK, but one in particular would not play the GU fight song despite angry demands from the crowd (if you could call it that). We actually cared about the fight song in those days.

jhoop
01-22-2013, 04:18 PM
with the boring dirge that now passes as our fight song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySIGG0r5qm4