• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Dickie V Tweet

@DickieV: Last night's Gonzaga-Butler Classic is 1 of the top 5 games I was part of in 34 yrs @ ESPN
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • BTB
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Nov 2012

wOw. That's crazy

Comment

• Hoopaholic
      • Mar 2008

Says it all in my book....game for the ages. We just happen to come up 2 points short of it being a classic highlight
      The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2008

Arizona, UCLA, Butler... We seem to be on he wrong end of these things.

Comment

• ConnZag3
          Kennel Club Material
          • Aug 2012

Definitely the best game I've ever been to in terms of excitement, intensity, and atmosphere. Yeah it's disappointing we lost but it was still one hell of a game. Hinkle Fieldhouse is one of the greatest places to watch a game that every true basketball fan needs to go to at least once.

Comment

• BobZag
            Dark Lord of the Zag
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
            Arizona, UCLA, Butler... We seem to be on he wrong end of these things.
            True, but we can't lose sight of Michigan State in Maui or Okie State in Seattle or Florida in '99 NCAAs, and I know I'm forgetting a few.

Comment

• HenneZag
              Zag for Life
              • Aug 2012

as well as

Western Kentucky with the runner...

How about WSU this year
              America's Team!

Comment

• americasteam
                Kennel Club
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                @DickieV: Last night's Gonzaga-Butler Classic is 1 of the top 5 games I was part of in 34 yrs @ ESPN
                I wonder if he would have said that had Gonzaga won? Not because I think he was rooting for one or the other but because the added excitement in the building when the home team won and the fans stormed on the court.

Completley different mood at the end had Gonzaga won

Comment

• BobZag
                  Dark Lord of the Zag
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by americasteam View Post
                  I wonder if he would have said that had Gonzaga won?
                  Mmm, likely not. The wild frenzy of fans, the decibals blowing out the walls, the drama, the court storming, the buzzer-beater, the shock of the unexpected reversal with 3.5 secs remaining, the historical Jimmy Chitwood/Hoosiers/Hinkle miracle storyline...

Finishing with Zags shooting free-throws just wouldn't have put the necessary cherry on top of this game to rank it as high as many folks do. However I'd prefer this "ho-hum" ending.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                    True, but we can't lose sight of Michigan State in Maui or Okie State in Seattle or Florida in '99 NCAAs, and I know I'm forgetting a few.
                    Virginia in the 12-5 "upset" in 2001.

Comment

• RenoZag
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

More Dickie V

I was fortunate enough to be at a one of the best, between Gonzaga and Butler. In the end, Butler got a break with a last-second steal, which led to Roosevelt Jones' dramatic game-winning shot. It extended Butler's win streak to 13 games.

My friends, both Butler and Gonzaga will be heard from at the big dance. They play so hard, and their coaches find a way to win. I dont want to hear the term mid-major associated with either of them -- both coaches make over $1 million and fly on private planes. They have put kids in the pros. Some people still use the mid-major term, just because they are not at BCS football schools.

Mark Few and Brad Stevens are two of the best coaches in America. Gonzaga has been a consistent winner, capturing the WCC title 11 of the last 12 years. On top of that, the Bulldogs have won at least one game in four straight NCAA tournaments. Butler made consecutive championship game appearances, an incredible accomplishment for any program.

Hinkle Fieldhouse lived up to my expectations and beyond. It was like Fenway Park and Wrigley Field of college hoops, with so much tradition. The fans were incredible and the game was outstanding.

The Butler-Gonzaga game epitomized what the sport is all about.
                      LINK
                      The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Dickie goes with the flow. Kinda like what Lance called his Irish masseuse.

Comment

• rijman
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2009

I was surprised it was Dickie V's first game at the Hinkle Fieldhouse, what a first game.
                          It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

• Birddog
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Has Dick ever been to Cameron? Oh wait a minute..........
                            Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                            Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                            All mimsy were the borogoves,
                            And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• Section 116
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Sunday night tweet from Dickie:

Dick Vitale‏@DickieV

Come on football fanatics admit it Butler over Zags much more EXCITING BABY - what can I say I am a hoops lover!

Comment

Working...
                              X