PDA

View Full Version : Focusing on the WCC

HenneZag
01-20-2013, 12:31 PM
After the very tough loss we suffered last night, the OOC schedule is now complete, and it's time to focus on the WCC. We have a huge matchup set with BYU on thursday and I'm hoping we see a ZAG team that comes out with fire, and hopefully not the team that is still down after an emotional loss to Butler.

As a fan, I don't think I have ever felt more heartbreak after a loss, such a tough pill to swallow, simply a great game to watch on both ends of the floor last night. We have been battle tested this year, obviously a win would have been much sweeter, this will mentally help us moving into march. If I was a player for GU I would take this as even more motivation to run through the WCC this year, I do think this team has a great makeup for a deep run in March. GU has faced every style of play this season, there will be no suprises with the teams we face moving forward.

BYU thursday in the Kennel hopefully will be a great bounce back game to put the Butler loss behind us, more importantly go 5-0 in the WCC and put BYU 2 games behind us in the standings. What cougar team will we see on thursday is the question, hopefully not a team that lights us up beyond the arc.

Let's get this title back!
A nice run through the WCC will still get us a nice seed in the dance.

ZagsGoZags
01-20-2013, 12:38 PM
For me, UCLA loss was WAY worse
a true dagger that is still stuck in my heart

this game could have been that bad for me if it was in the Big Dance,
and losing kept us out of the Elite 8, like that one did.

This game was neck and neck the whole way, we did not blow a big lead, this was anybody's game right to the last few seconds, and nobody is going to win all of the games that are switching one point leads back and forth in the last couple of minutes. If this play had happened somewhere in the middle of the game it would be just one of the many amazing feats of offense and defense in this hard fought game.

After UCLA there was no more chance. We still have control over our fate now.

MDABE80
01-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Arizona get's my nod. Henne's rightthough. Time to focus on WCC which won't be an easy task. BYU is very very good. Writer's might not give them votes but they are talented andmechanically sound. SMC too. We do travel to both for 2nd pass games on the way to the end of the league. SCU and USD as well.
It won't be easy. Back to the real world.

What kills me is all the press and hype Butler's getting when we has no business losing that game. Well I guess the Cinderalla label has been sent to them. Good riddance. Time to get to work. It's become pretty clear we can toughen up when we focus. We can beat anybody. While Gary's decline is noticeable, there are reasons for it. One big thing is that the bigs are preeminent and while they've done well, balance between the back and forecourts must be restored. Easier said than done. 38 /51 shots were taken by the bigs last night. This data isn't good. Balance will help..
Time to face they facts though........we've got a long way to go in this season. Championships and deep runs don't happen by luck or living on past laurels. We hold our own destiny. We must focus, be thoughtful and back it up with the necessary work.

jim77
01-20-2013, 12:50 PM
There are some VERY good teams in the WCC. If you think Butler has snipers...wait till you see what Tyler Haws can do with an open look. Imo...Tyler Haws is the best pure shooter in college basketball. He may not be as athletic as the Jimmer but, he's got the eye..and he's 6'5". We will need Mike Hart's services on this guy....it wouldn't surprise me to see him score 30. Thursday game will be tough.....the good think is BYU plays you straight up with no "FAKE" fouls. GO ZAGS.

rijman
01-20-2013, 12:54 PM
The Zags will have to focus and bring it every game to run the gauntlet in the WCC, but it's doable. A win against BYU will give us wins against the 2 toughest WCC opponents putting us in the drivers seat.

bartruff1
01-20-2013, 04:01 PM
To the Salt Lake Tribune on the Gonzaga loss.... " They are going to be probably a little upset "........ya think