PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back Sam

baitcast
01-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Got the touch back and that's great been fretting over that for some time,the game I sit down to enjoy the win and what happened?
That was not a floater it was a shot put,we still love David,s game and now I think we can play with anyone,just a great game:clap:
Rob

rijman
01-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Dower put up 20 points in 24 minutes with 1 board, 1 blk, 1 steal and no fouls. After a good start with the announcers going on and on about him he had a stretch with 2 turnovers and a missed bunny, but overall a very good game. Glad to see him play well.

HillBillyZag
01-20-2013, 09:03 AM
Sam did a hell of a job shooting the ball, we needed that 20 pts. badly! On the other hand?, he likely cost us at least ten? or more?, by his poor defense, inattentiveness and overall lack of hustle?. I luv Sam, but his points come with a price?

FieldHouseFishHouse
01-20-2013, 09:29 AM
There was one key difference in SD's game last night:
The shots went in.
He did limit his comical turnovers to 2. He also limited his rebounds to 1.

MBZags
01-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Great game by Sam, no doubt.

But I wish Sam would develop his right hand. There was one time in the second half where he caught the ball on the block; if he had turned and gone up with his right hand, it was an easy layup. Instead, he waited, tried to use his left hand, and missed the shot once the defense recovered.

Reborn
01-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Whatever the coaches said to Sam at the airport in Portland really had a wonderful effect on him. He played outstanding on a very big stage last night. He reminded me of how he played two years ago, and in particular to how he played against St Mary's that year.

ZagSports
01-20-2013, 12:12 PM
I'd like to see Sam get his minutes some minutes at the 3 when we are trying to go big and play in a zone or some sort of defense.

Not bashing the guy at all, he has a smooth jumper, but he has no business being in the key right now, his game is not developed or pretty down that low

jim77
01-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Its no secret that big Sam can shoot. In fact we stumbled onto a strategy that will probably work against a bunch of teams. Since Sam really doesn't like to mix it up.....why not use him to snipe. I would really like to see a KO..E....SAM....Hart...KP lineup. We could even play some zone D. Butler had NO answer for 3 bigs. The guy does play better when he's given freedom...he's not good when told to hang under the rim. Let him roam...and score. FREE SAM.

fedwayzag
01-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Huge for Sam's confidence which will be important for the team the rest of the year. We need him and he showed up.

sittingon50
01-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Few said on his show that Sam has been particularly sick for awhile.

ZagsBaby
01-21-2013, 11:11 AM
I'd like to see Sam get his minutes some minutes at the 3 when we are trying to go big and play in a zone or some sort of defense.

Not bashing the guy at all, he has a smooth jumper, but he has no business being in the key right now, his game is not developed or pretty down that low

The problem with Sam at the 3 is, that would mean he has to guard the opponents 3, and that would mean Sam would have to dribble the ball.

You simply can't get away with putting bigs at the 1,2 or 3 spots like you can playing small ball. Doesn't work that way.

ZagSports
01-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Would not have to dribble, could be a catch and shoot player to help space the defense. Would not have to guard the 3, thats why when Sam is in at the 3 gonzaga could go in a zone

ZagsBaby
01-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Would not have to dribble, could be a catch and shoot player to help space the defense. Would not have to guard the 3, thats why when Sam is in at the 3 gonzaga could go in a zone

Sam can hit the open jumper when he has time, but let's not confuse him with Ray Allen here. This isn't a realistic idea. Sam is not that good of a shooter where you'd put a PF/C on the perimeter to be a catch and shoot player. This doesn't happen on any level of basketball. Sorry.

ZagSports
01-21-2013, 11:26 AM
You put a player out towards the wing that can hit an open jumper, forcing the defense to space and 1 - not double the guards and 2 - open up the paint. I'm not saying he is going to catch and shoot like Ray Allen wow... pretty sure that 3 or 4 of his jumpers vs Butler were "catch and shoot".

ZagsBaby
01-21-2013, 11:40 AM
You put a player out towards the wing that can hit an open jumper, forcing the defense to space and 1 - not double the guards and 2 - open up the paint. I'm not saying he is going to catch and shoot like Ray Allen wow... pretty sure that 3 or 4 of his jumpers vs Butler were "catch and shoot".

Let me explain it better.

OK, so now Sam is playing the 3. The defender at the 3 position is going to be guarding Sam at the 3. Putting pressure on Sam on the perimeter. Sam gets open looks on the perimeter because he plays the 4/5 positions and the defender is in the paint stopping penetration, getting rebounds, ect. Or just in the paint because that's where he's used to being... Bigs don't like to guard on the perimeter, which is good for Sam. Put Sam at the 3, and his defender has no reason to be in the paint. He's guarding the 3 position, which is a perimeter position. Now, Sam's defender has a huge advantage.

You see where I'm going with this? Sam isn't going to be getting open looks at the 3 position like he does now. It's not a realistic idea. I understand where you are coming from, but it's just not realistic. 4/5's don't play the 3. It doesn't happen. These are the reasons why. Imagine Mike Hart guarding Sam on the perimeter. Who wins that match up? Mike.

cjm720
01-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Sam's a good 4. Defense prevents him from being really good.

Sam excels when he doesn't think. He gets the ball, makes his move, and the ball usually goes in. If he hesitates or tries to break his man down, it's typically a turnover or a missed shot. I'm glad his instincts took over on Saturday...best game of the year by far for him.

kitzbuel
01-21-2013, 11:47 AM
His mid-range jumper is ideal for when the defense tries to clog up the middle for KO or E. Like Stevens said, teams are gonna take their chances with that in order to try limiting the inside game.

His added offense adds one more dimension for defenses to plan for. I think this helps the Zags in the long run. Defenses won't be as inclined to risk him getting hot and will leave a defender on him and hopefully open the inside a little bit more.

gamagin
01-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Few put it this way re SD, I think it was on his show. Sometime after Butler, in any event.

He said SD is a really good "square up" shooter and when he got the chance to square up vs. Butler he caught fire.

Makes sense, watching him looking both hot and cold at times. Of course he's well scouted in the WCC so he has to figure out how to be effective every game vs. guys who try and keep him perpetually tangled up.

Oregonzagnut
01-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Its no secret that big Sam can shoot. In fact we stumbled onto a strategy that will probably work against a bunch of teams. Since Sam really doesn't like to mix it up.....why not use him to snipe. I would really like to see a KO..E....SAM....Hart...KP lineup. We could even play some zone D. Butler had NO answer for 3 bigs. The guy does play better when he's given freedom...he's not good when told to hang under the rim. Let him roam...and score. FREE SAM.

I agree this looks like a strategy stumbled onto but IMO, the problem with giving him that much freedom is the offense would have to run through him. At the Top 10 level we cannot afford to have someone "roaming" on an individual level especially if he isn't mobile enough to rebound and have precise movement off the ball. We need to find the hot hands, and run offenses through those people. That is why Kelly is our #1 offense now. Sam is no Adam Morrison or KO for that matter. Adam Morrison could control the game and "run around" and find the shot anywhere. Kelly is showing elite post presence and overall intelligent play. Dower is still not up to speed for whatever reason and how often do teams allow any of our guys to "square up" over and over again.

If by "snipe" you mean "pure shooter" then that still relegates him to a bench player and one that must extend leads, not necessarily create them like he did Saturday. Sam has had many opportunities to succeed like he did Saturday and finally he did it. But we can't afford a 1:5 success rate. The tempo and his confidence has to be right for his touch to be successful. If he gets rattled he flusters and shuts down. Then he hasn't been making his wide open "squared up" shots either. If Sam is going to be successful only in certain situations, then his minutes will reflect that.

I am so very glad Dower finally found his shot, but I do not see any situation where it is good for the team to let anyone do what ever they want by "roaming" especially when by all accounts Sam is still inconsistent. Give me 2-3 more straight games like he had then I would consider trusting more minutes for him or even starting him again.