PDA

View Full Version : State of GU Hoops

Zag4Hire
01-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Wow, what a game. I literally threw two shoes, did several replays myself on the final play, and broke it down time and time again. In the end, GU lost. One can point to some unfortunate calls, some lucky buckets (seriously how ugly were some of the shooting forms being thrown out ther by BU) but in the end, if I had to lose to one team, it would be Butler. They played like GU. Like how GU played during Josh's suspension from a few years back. In the end, this is why I love this team:

* Dower can rise from the depths;
* I think this was Few's masterpiece even though it was a loss (truly the subs were right on point)
* Hart played all out and was just a little over aggressive
* No team out there scares. I am serious. None. Total crapshoot.
* This GU team can bang and played well.

Let's rally behind this GU squad. We have savy guards, timely low post play, and an aggressive team. I still think this team is due.

In the end, win the WCC. get that 3-6 seed, win your games, and we will keep exchanging post game banter. In true description of events, several items were broken in the house during the game and much disbelief was expressed during the postgame but you know what, these kids are strong physically and mentally. They will plow ahead and succeed. I look forward to the WCC championship thread and beyond. Keep your eye on the prize.

ZagsBaby
01-19-2013, 08:50 PM
I said a lot of cuss words and did a lot of pacing up and down the stairs.

Now I'm ready for some NFL playoff football.

Or some vodka.

fedwayzag
01-19-2013, 08:51 PM
zag4hire, Thx.

DixieZag
01-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Great thead and well put.

I just don't think this is going to cost us much seeding wise. I don't think we were destined to win out and I would just assume take a loss at Butler than lose one later on. I don't think we will win out but I actually think that this loss makes it more likely that we will win out.

The games at BYU and SMC will not be as tough after the games at Butler and OSU. No way there can be a more hostile environment.

zagzilla
01-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Super painful to lose it that way but this team is solid. Showed the ability to adapt to yet another style of play in a very hostile environment.

This will toughen us up for the dance.

Butler is using up a lot of Karma early this stuff evens out-they'll see.

Ignore the haters who are going to over-react-we're fine.

Oh yeah-let me quote Dick Vitale after one of the numerous blown calls against GU:

"Welcome to life on the road baby"

ZZ

DixieZag
01-19-2013, 08:56 PM
4-6 seed is a death sentence in the s16.

No way do we drop that far if we play well from here on out. This was a "good" loss and I doubt it will cost us anymore than one seed.

ZagsBaby
01-19-2013, 08:58 PM
4-6 seed is a death sentence in the s16.

LOL WE HAVE TWO LOSSES. Step back from the ledge my friend. Step back from the ledge. There is so much time between now and Selection Sunday. We got a 4 seed the year we lost to Portland State and Utah, among others.

Timspo14
01-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Great game where we fought back when we could Have rolled over. Instead, one bone headed play followed up by one terrific play ended the game and we lost. Oh well, fun to watch and the consequences will be seen later. I just enjoyed that game

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

LongIslandZagFan
01-19-2013, 09:24 PM
I shed a tear for David. The look on his face and his reaction to Jones shot just drove a stake through my heart.

They certainly got major league jobbed by the refs... The boys battled through it.

They did all they could to win... It is all we can ask for.

Kennel Club... Please rally around David... He needs the love.

Zaglaw
01-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks all for this thread. I love this team! Great game between 2 classy, high-level teams. Now, on to BYU. Go Zags!:clap:

jwalk
01-19-2013, 09:33 PM
This loss will not hurt us when it comes selection time. To lose a hard fought game in the last 0.1 seconds to a team that will also be in the tournament will not be looked at as a bad loss. Now, if Butler loses 10 games from this point forward to lesser teams, it will really hurt. I think Butler has found its stride and the chances of them losing more than 2 games is slim.

We just need to win the games we are supposed to win and not lose to lesser teams in the league.

Sometimes losses are a good thing for a team. The players and coaches will sit down and watch the film. It will hopefully show what everyone needs to work on and how to attack a defense like the one Butler played tonight.

This team has not peaked yet and the future is bright for them. There are offensive and defensive rotations that need to be shored up. I hope this team starts to peak right before the NCAA tourney.

Ekrub
01-19-2013, 09:35 PM
This loss will not hurt us when it comes selection time. To lose a hard fought game in the last 0.1 seconds to a team that will also be in the tournament will not be looked at as a bad loss. Now, if Butler loses 10 games from this point forward to lesser teams, it will really hurt. I think Butler has found its stride and the chances of of them losing more than 2 more games is slim.

We just need to win the games we are supposed to win and not lose to lesser teams in the league.

Sometimes losses are a good thing for a team. The players and coaches will sit down and watch the film. It will hopefully show what everyone need to work on and how to attack a defense like the one Butler played tonight.

This team has not peaked yet and the future is bright for them. There are offensive and defensive rotations that need to be shored up. I hope this team starts to peak right before the NCAA tourney.

I want GU vs BU II in the tournament. Bad

TacomaZAG
01-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Regarding possible tourney seeding, tonight was our last and only chance to beat a highly ranked team. Take a look at our victories......who have we beaten??? 4 big-12 bottom feeders and a bunch of nobody's. What is our signature win, OSU??? Does that win qualify us for seed higher than 7??? We have no opportunities for any statement wins the rest of the year.

Our two losses are against the only upper echelon teams we have played this year. We have no signature wins. That screams 7-10 seed, regardless of overall record.

Horrible loss tonight...........hello 7-10 seed.

Go ZAGS

Bushman
01-19-2013, 09:38 PM
+1

Ekrub
01-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Regarding possible tourney seeding, tonight was our last and only chance to beat a highly ranked team. Take a look at our victories......who have we beaten??? 4 big-12 bottom feeders and a bunch of nobody's. What is our signature win, OSU??? Does that win qualify us for seed higher than 7??? We have no opportunities for any statement wins the rest of the year.

Our two losses are against the only upper echelon teams we have played this year. We have no signature wins. That screams 7-10 seed, regardless of overall record.

Go ZAGS

We beat the teams that will probably be 2-5 in the big 12. Win out and a 4 seed is the lowest we could possibly get.

Reborn
01-19-2013, 09:45 PM
I shed a tear for David. The look on his face and his reaction to Jones shot just drove a stake through my heart.

They certainly got major league jobbed by the refs... The boys battled through it.

They did all they could to win... It is all we can ask for.

Kennel Club... Please rally around David... He needs the love.

Ditto. Great post LIZF...David played such a good game, it's just so bad that that had to happen. I thought Gonzaga played real good. After all, had we not turned the ball over we would have won. Had Jones held that ball for .1 of a second longer before releasing it, we would have won. I loved how Gonzaga fought back and handled such a horrible reffing job. Butler may have missed Rotnei, but the refs made up for his absence. Zags played against 7 tonight fans. A loss has always hurt me alot, but for some reason this one doesn't. I feel like we won.

Let's see. The Zags play Thursday night in Portland, and have a really hard time getting out. Their travel schedule is all messed up and they don't get to practice Friday night in Hinkle. Call it bad luck. They play in one of the very toughest arenas in America for an opponent to win in. It was ESPN GAME DAY and the crowd was UNBELIVEABLE. There were a couple of very good games today, and honestly our game with Butler was the best. They truly saved the best for last. The Zags fought through so many obsticles and really had the game won. We HAVE TO GIVE THE BOYS SOME CREDIT FANS.

I LOVE THE ZAGS......MORE THAN EVER

ps...I wonder how Sili is doing??? Both Gonzaga and Creighton lost heartbreakers tonight. Gonzaga's was definitely more of a heartbreak loss though.

David Stockton...We love you, kid! You played a great game, and once in awhile something like this happens. TO US ALL. Don't let it get to you. And I know you won't, and your team won't let you.

LongIslandZagFan
01-19-2013, 09:47 PM

Go ZAGS

No way in hell, unless they start dropping dumb games. Nowhere near a bad loss.

thespywhozaggedme
01-19-2013, 09:53 PM

Go ZAGS

Cocaine's a helluva drug.

Bushman
01-19-2013, 09:54 PM
I realize we roll the dice giving up so many open 3's but we will continue to lose games against teams even if they have an average night shooting so many shooting 3's. We can go inside all day but all it takes is one good shooting game from an opponent and we are in trouble. Kevin is being shadowed and since we have no other outside threats and cannot seem to run plays for Kevin, this team is vunerable to an upset loss. You saw how huge Dave's 3 was tonite, we need to make more of these, a more balanced attack. Teams are now settling in low because of our weak outside game. Come on coach....

hooter73
01-19-2013, 10:03 PM
BYU will tell the story. It will say if we were all hype, it will say how we respond, it will say who is right in mind and body and it will say whats really important, how the WCC goes.

jwalk
01-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Louisville lost their game on a bad pass by their point guard too. These things happen to the best of the best. The team was delayed in Portland and did not get a chance to put up many practice shot in Hinkle fieldhouse. It was a tough loss, but to be in the game and be able to take the lead with 4.6 seconds left on two clutch free throws shows the determination and heart of this team.

As Jay Bilas commented during the pre-game, last years Kentucky team at this point in the season looked like they were the best team in the nation was was headed for the final four. This year is different. There is not one team who has looked like they are final four bound. Just look at what has happened to the number 1 teams over the past 2 weeks. I think the top 10 to 15 teams will be swapping places for the rest of the season.

thespywhozaggedme
01-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Louisville lost their game on a bad pass by their point guard too. These things happen to the best of the best. The team was delayed in Portland and did not get a chance to put up many practice shot in Hinkle fieldhouse. It was a tough loss, but to be in the game and be able to take the lead with 4.6 seconds left on two clutch free throws shows the determination and heart of this team.

As Jay Bilas commented during the pre-game, last years Kentucky team at this point in the season looked like they were the best team in the nation was was headed for the final four. This year is different. There is not one team who has looked like they are final four bound. Just look at what has happened to the number 1 teams over the past 2 weeks. I think the top 10 to 15 teams will be swapping places for the rest of the season.

Yup and I bet Puke loses at Miami on Wednesday night too.

WallaWallaZag
01-20-2013, 07:06 AM

actually, k-state is turning out to be our signature win...they should be ranked #12-14 in the next poll out monday. they didn't look very impressive against the zags, but maybe that says more about the zags than anything else...zags dominate bad perimeter shooting teams.

WILLYMCG
01-20-2013, 07:32 AM
Well said and summed, what an environment.

TacomaZAG
01-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Good point regarding K-State (12/15), but both that win and the OSU (12/31)win are going to be ancient history come Selection Sunday. The sad fact of the matter is that come Selection Sunday we will have no Top-20 wins (teams ranked in the Top-20 when we played them), one road win over a ranked team (OSU, ranked 21 or 22 at the time and we were favored to win), and no wins at all over ranked teams in almost 3 months.

Our SOS will drop like a stone in WCC play and settle somewhere in the 50's, I suspect, by Selection Sunday.

That is not a tournament resume for a 2-4 seed, and that is assuming we run the table the rest of the way. I love this team, but the resume just isn't there for a favorable seeding. I'm not saying we can't go deep in March, but if we do it's not going to be because of a good seed or a favorable first weekend location. To go deep in March we will more than likely have to beat a Top-4 seed on the first weekend, probably on the other side of the country, and another Top-4 seed the second weekend, if we get there.

The biggest positive we have going into the Tourney is our demonstrated ability to win games on neutral courts, although that demonstrated ability will be stale as well (12/15 against K-State, and Key Arena is hardly neutral) come Selection Sunday.

That is why last night's loss hurts so much..............

Go ZAGS

NEC26
01-20-2013, 08:21 AM

Go ZAGS

Provided we win against BYU and no bad losses against the rest of the WCC there is no way we will be a 7-10 seed. Not even possible. This loss cost us a chance at a one seed though which hurts.
Not sure why you are saying we have no signature wins. Oke State on the road was a good win, as is Baylor, Kstate, Oklahoma, and SMC. BYU would be a good win as well if we were to pull it off.

TacomaZAG
01-20-2013, 08:50 AM
IMHO, there is a world of difference between "good" wins and "signature" wins. All the wins you reference are "good" wins, but due to the fact that we were supposed to win all those games, and they will all be 3 months old come Selection Sunday, none of those wins are or will be "signature" wins. Forget about beating any WCC team in the Kennel being a "signature" win, as we are favored in every game by double digits.

A "signature" win, to me, is a win that will resonate with the Selection Committee on Selection Sunday, and we don't have any. We beat K-State at Key Arena, where we were heavily favored. We beat OSU at Stillwater, where we were higher ranked and favored. We beat Baylor and Oklahoma on neutral sites very early in the year. The Selection Committee won't remember any of those wins, and rightfully so. We will be favored in both Moraga and Provo so those wins, while "good" wins, are not even close to "signature", memorable wins. Like every year, the ZAGS have to make their statement to the Selection Committee in the OOC, and our two opportunities to do that were against Illinois and Butler. We didn't do it.......

Hello 7-10 seed.........

Go ZAGS

HillBillyZag
01-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Great, if that means getting to send the Fuskies home in the opening round?

Hoopaholic
01-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Your same old song seems to be stuck like a scratched record....guess we will let the second half of the season play out and see where we land with seeding...if we win out and even lose one more I see no worse than 4 seed. Win out and 2 seed still out there

Reborn
01-20-2013, 08:59 AM
The biggest positive we have going into the Tourney is our demonstrated ability to win games on neutral courts, although that demonstrated ability will be stale as well (12/15 against K-State, and Key Arena is hardly neutral) come Selection Sunday.

That is why last night's loss hurts so much..............

Go ZAGS

I appreciate your post. Thank you. And thanks for expressing yourself so well. However, I have to disagree with the conclusion that you come to, that the loss last night will hurt the Zags. In fact, I feel the opposite. This loss will make them stronger. The expression of my belief does not come from logic but it comes from how I feel inside.

I don't think Gonzaga pays as much attention to the polls as the fans do. I also don't think they think a whole lot on the Selection Committee. And, in fact, I don't think that too many coaches do. If we, you and I and others, believe that the Zags have what is necessary to make a deep run in March, then does it really matter whether they get a #1 seed or a two or three? IMO, the loss last night is NOT as bad as you think, and will not hurt the Zags as much as you think it will.

TM27
01-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Hello 7-10 seed.........

Go ZAGS

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Sincere question...If you are interested, lets bet and put our money where our....keyboards are? 100 bucks. Zags win out... you get seeds 7 or higher and I will take seed 6 and lower. Deal?

PM me if you want the bet and I will give you my phone number, name, etc.

NEC26
01-20-2013, 09:02 AM
I think its rather silly to say that the selection committee will somehow forget our good wins because some of them were early in the year. Also thats a lot of good wins on our resume. If you don't think they are signature OK I guess but I think you are talking about separation between a 1 and 2 seed not between a 2-3 and 7-10 seeds.
The wins we have are more than enough to get us a 2-3 provided we don't have any bad losses. Especially considering we can still get three(possibly 4 or 5) more quality wins against SMC and BYU.

FieldHouseFishHouse
01-20-2013, 09:23 AM
RPI Forecast has the Zags finishing with probably 3-5 losses, and a final RPI of 10-20.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Gonzaga.html

I think worst case scenario: GU is still wearing home colors in the first round.

FieldHouseFishHouse
01-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Oops, I guess it's called the second round now.....that would be messed up if they ended up in the play-in.

primal23
01-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Your same old song seems to be stuck like a scratched record....guess we will let the second half of the season play out and see where we land with seeding...if we win out and even lose one more I see no worse than 4 seed. Win out and 2 seed still out there

I can't see a 2, even winning out. 4 at best now. Not going to win out, going to lose at least one or more of the following, @smc, @byu, @usf(there is a curse on us playing there I swear)

Reborn
01-20-2013, 09:59 AM
I really liked the link. Very interesting. There is about a 35% chance that the Zags will will lose just one more game, and if they do their RPI rank would be 9.9 (let's call it 10). They say there is about a 15% chance that the Zags will not lose any more and if they do that, their RPI rank would be 7.7 I think, which would be a second seed. A #3 seed has been my hope all year, and I guess my expectation. But I would also not be surprised if they don't lose any more games. At the beginning of the year my guess was that they would lose 3 games this year.

TacomaZAG
01-20-2013, 10:02 AM
And please don't misunderstand my posts. I also believe the loss will make the ZAGS stronger, but the team needs to win games like that in order to get a favorable seeding (4 or better). I agree that wins early in the year shouldn't matter more than late ones, but history shows they do.

Being in the WCC, the ZAGS margin for error is razor thin for getting a 4-seed or better. We traditionally get screwed by the Selection Committee (based on overall record and recent "underperforming" in the Tourney with respect to seed), and giving them ANY excuse to once again underseed us will not go unnoticed.

Reborn, I agree that the guys and staff don't concentrate on the Selection Committee, or seeding, or anything like that, as their sole focus is on the next game and the next opponent, as it should be. I love this team and the guys on it, and hope as much or more than anyone on here that we go deep in March. I just hate to see our chances for a favorable seed slip away with losses like last night. Like it or not, a favorable seed leads to a much better chance at a deep run. Not that we can't do it with a lower seed, just that the chances are much slimmer.

In March, it's the body of work that counts, and any excuse we give the Selection Committee to screw us will be used. It happens every year to the ZAGS, and other non-BCS teams, and to say otherwise is simply naive or drunk on the Kool-Aid. We currently have no "bad" losses, and no "signature" wins. To me, that spells middle of the road seed, regardless of our overall record.

Go ZAGS

Birddog
01-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Hey Tacoma, fill up your glass.

TacomaZAG
01-20-2013, 10:23 AM
it's a little on the empty side this morning.......

Go ZAGS

Saxon_zag
01-20-2013, 10:41 AM
I woke up and it was a nice morning. until laying in bed, i remembered that inbounds play.. blahhhhhhhh.........

I'm glad to know the zags are a big enough deal to have the #13 team who made back to back ships rush the court against us... lol... Butler is LAME

Zag79
01-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Had we finished off Butler like we should have, a one seed was still in our sights if we won out. Big task I know, I'm just stating the possibility. As for now, a two seed is the best we can obtain if we win out or drop one more. I'm expecting a couple more L's and a three seed. With that we could still make a historic run, this team is elite and there isn't a team in college hoops we couldn't beat.

10 Piece Bucket
01-21-2013, 07:27 PM
TacomaZag-thanks

In March, it's the body of work that count/QUOTE]

I think folks need to stop bellyaching about the last seconds of the game and one bad pass and recall that this is a TEAM sport. A whole lot of plays made up the game and they all either contribute or detract from the end result.
Fear not - the lads will devour BYU and go on to glory!
PS- I hate listening to Dick Vitale- can he stop shouting????

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Yup and I bet Puke loses at Miami on Wednesday night too.

Called that one. They'll lose several more. I knew Puke was a fraud.