PDA

View Full Version : Heart breaker loss

HOOTER
01-19-2013, 07:19 PM
...as the tourney loss to UCLA. What just happened?

Pleasant Peninsula
01-19-2013, 07:36 PM
It's not March and all tournament losses hurt like hell compared to regular season games

And I'm still raw...

But that was the most painful regular season loss of my Gonzaga fandom.

Anyone else agree? What else could compare? (Mickey McConnell game, perhaps? I think this one stings harder.)

combatcorpsmangulaw
01-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Zags fought off some bad foul calls (imo). Played well. Hung tough and lost in the final seconds.

I don't see that GU's ranking is going to be adversely impacted by this loss if there is an iota of objectivity in the rankings.

Gonzaga BEAT Butler at their court. A miscue on a throw in led to a last second shot.

jazzdelmar
01-19-2013, 07:46 PM
NO WHERE near ucla....not in same galaxy. maybe usf when gray threw ball in bounds to usf player who scored....or micky mc

rijman
01-19-2013, 07:57 PM
What is most bothersome is the Zags lost to the 2 best ranked teams they played this season, they haven't proven they can be a top team. We heard a lot about Butler's desire to win, something the Zags have lacked in recent years according to an ex Zags player I know. This loss hurts.

TM27
01-19-2013, 08:08 PM
what is most bothersome is the zags lost to the 2 best ranked teams they played this season, they haven't proven they can be a top team. We heard a lot about butler's desire to win, something the zags have lacked in recent years according to an ex zags player i know. This loss hurts.

24-44

thickman1
01-19-2013, 08:09 PM
NO WHERE near ucla....not in same galaxy. maybe usf when gray threw ball in bounds to usf player who scored....or micky mc

+1
Do people forget GU was up 20 on UCLA in the second half? No question that was biggest meltdown....Batista was still filed too.

Reborn
01-19-2013, 09:33 PM
What is most bothersome is the Zags lost to the 2 best ranked teams they played this season, they haven't proven they can be a top team. We heard a lot about Butler's desire to win, something the Zags have lacked in recent years according to an ex Zags player I know. This loss hurts.

Your post is the worst post I've ever read. I will tell you one thing. This X Zag player would never say something like that, and for you to say it hear on this board is the most pathetic thing I can think of. You are a traitor.

LongIslandZagFan
01-19-2013, 09:39 PM
It's not March and all tournament losses hurt like hell compared to regular season games

And I'm still raw...

But that was the most painful regular season loss of my Gonzaga fandom.

Anyone else agree? What else could compare? (Mickey McConnell game, perhaps? I think this one stings harder.)

Nope... It wasn't. It was a hard fought game. A game in which the boys trailed 90% of he second half. It stil came down to one play.

zag69
01-19-2013, 09:55 PM

Wow, you know an ex-player who says his teams have lacked a will to win? I suspect someone here is bearing false witness.

Pleasant Peninsula
01-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Nope... It wasn't. It was a hard fought game. A game in which the boys trailed 90% of he second half. It stil came down to one play.

Well, okay. I gave my opinion. Did you want to share yours, or just tell me that mine is wrong?

LongIslandZagFan
01-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Well, okay. I gave my opinion. Did you want to share yours, or just tell me that mine is wrong?

Losing to Portland State is a damn good start. Think losing to #13 in the country is worse than that? Want me to dig up more ####ty losses? Cuz this sure as hell ain't even playing in the same sport as some of the ones I can dig up.

Yes... it was a painful loss... but hardly in the realm of bad losses.

Pleasant Peninsula
01-19-2013, 10:45 PM

Losing to Portland State is a damn good start. Think losing to #13 in the country is worse than that? Want me to dig up more ####ty losses? Cuz this sure as hell ain't even playing in the same sport as some of the ones I can dig up.

Yes... it was a painful loss... but hardly in the realm of bad losses.

Sure, try me. Dig them up. Of course losing to PSU was a bad loss. Bad losses and painful losses aren't necessarily the same thing. You are taking no account for HOW the team lost, like they did tonight. The fact that it was such a hard fought game against a top notch team where we trailed much of the 2nd half , yet had the game in our hands... is WHAT MAKES IT SO PAINFUL. Frankly, your snippy attitude (and mine ... and many others') displayed on GUBoards tonight only serves to reinforce this point.

So sure, dig up some other painful (regular season) losses to compare to this one. I'm interested.

Zagcity
01-19-2013, 11:03 PM
will dig deeper! They will find away to make a positive out of this and be resilient. I say the WCC will feel the wrath! :cool:

bartruff1
01-20-2013, 04:02 AM
It was a hell of a game....Dower and Harris were spectacular (among many others who played well)... the sun is coming up here and it looks like a beautiful morning and BYU will be in the Kennell in a few days....half of the season is ahead and looking pretty promising....

WallaWallaZag
01-20-2013, 04:59 AM
...as the tourney loss to UCLA. What just happened?

similar in that it felt like the zags had it won and then blew it...some are bringing up the st.mary's game with the shot over sacre, but mickey won that...didn't feel like the zags had it won but lost it...

McZag
01-20-2013, 05:18 AM

+1 Jazz. No where near the heartbreak

LongIslandZagFan
01-20-2013, 06:47 AM
Sure, try me. Dig them up. Of course losing to PSU was a bad loss. Bad losses and painful losses aren't necessarily the same thing. You are taking no account for HOW the team lost, like they did tonight. The fact that it was such a hard fought game against a top notch team where we trailed much of the 2nd half , yet had the game in our hands... is WHAT MAKES IT SO PAINFUL. Frankly, your snippy attitude (and mine ... and many others') displayed on GUBoards tonight only serves to reinforce this point.

So sure, dig up some other painful (regular season) losses to compare to this one. I'm interested.

Wisconsin Green Bay (Zags went Sweet 16 that year) is another one.

To me a painful loss and a bad loss are the same thing. IMHO getting spanked by Illinois at home was far more painful than this and it should be. Losing at the last second hurts... yes. But I also look at the fact that Butler led a vast majority of that second half. It was one hell of a game to watch.

Reborn
01-20-2013, 07:18 AM
LIZF! You are right. This game was not like the Illinois game at all. The second half reminded me a little bit of that game because we got behind after the half and couldn't catch up no matter how hard we tried. But in this game they found a way to get it done. And they DID. Last night they showed me that they had learned how to win in a game where they get behind in the second half. As tough as Butler is on defense they could not stop the Zags in the end. We found a way to score when we needed to. I was so impressed by how Gonzaga never gave up. And never stopped believing that they would win. Butler is not better than Gonzaga imo. At least they were not last night. Don't blame the loss on the Zags. Blame it on that spirit which was present at Hinkle that made it impossible for the Zags to win. :D

rijman
01-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Your post is the worst post I've ever read. I will tell you one thing. This X Zag player would never say something like that, and for you to say it hear on this board is the most pathetic thing I can think of. You are a traitor.
In the pregame, when Jay Bilas opined Gonzaga was the better team, but Butler would win or when Digger Phelps predicted Butler would find a way to win, all the talk of Butlers desire to win with no mention of Gonzagas desire, what were they saying? As a fan we ignore those comments, but top analysts have an opinion and an ex player shared the same opinion with me. You don't have to wear blinders to be a fan, or be afraid of criticism because no team is perfect. Every knowledgable fan roots for their team with this understanding, it doesn't change their feelings or allegiance to their team.

bartruff1
01-20-2013, 07:40 AM
To be polite, I did not see any lack of effort or courage...hell of a game.

Reborn
01-20-2013, 08:30 AM
In the pregame, when Jay Bilas opined Gonzaga was the better team, but Butler would win or when Digger Phelps predicted Butler would find a way to win, all the talk of Butlers desire to win with no mention of Gonzagas desire, what were they saying? As a fan we ignore those comments, but top analysts have an opinion and an ex player shared the same opinion with me. You don't have to wear blinders to be a fan, or be afraid of criticism because no team is perfect. Every knowledgable fan roots for their team with this understanding, it doesn't change their feelings or allegiance to their team.

What kind of a fan would say that the Zags don't have a desire to win? In short, you accuse them of not having heart. Wow! Nice analysis. Digger Phelps acted like he was high on something to me. I noticed he wasn't there for the post game show. I found his "insight" very, very biased. Jay Bilas did not say that Butler would win because they had more desire to win than Gonzaga. My recollection was that he said he felt Butler would win because they were playing at home, and specifically in Hinkle. To insinuate that the Zags do not have a deep and passionate desire to win I felt was offensive and not called for after losing such a hard fought game. I call that kicking a guy when he's down. Or a low blow. To insinuate they don't have heart, which is what you were saying I think, made me mad. And now you seem to have come to a conclusion that you are right about our team not having heart because one analyst (Mr Phelps) and a few x Zags feel the Zags don't have heart. I would actually like to know who these "X Zag" players are. Would you be brave enough to send me a private message? Good for you. And I know you don't speak alone. Good for you all!!!

HOOTER
01-20-2013, 08:47 AM
similar in that it felt like the zags had it won and then blew it

Right. It obviously doesn't have the same implications of a tournament loss, but that sick feeling I got at the end of this one was reminiscent of the UCLA loss. In hindsight, saying it is almost as bad is a bit over dramatic, but the two games are similar in the way things ended.

FieldHouseFishHouse
01-20-2013, 08:52 AM

I'm not really sure what "desire to win" means. I guess it means different things to different people. Maybe some of the players don't have enough...some of the time. Or maybe they all have it, but Butler has more.
The whole discussion strikes me a vague and inarticulate. As far as criticism goes, it's marginal at best and irresponsible at worst.

Calling someone a traitor though...that's even shriller, more inflammatory and in some ways even more meaningless. I don't care if you dwell amongst the most high and pass all the purity tests...don't escalate the stupidity by calling people traitors.

rijman
01-20-2013, 09:04 AM
What kind of a fan would say that the Zags don't have a desire to win? In short, you accuse them of not having heart. Wow! Nice analysis. Digger Phelps acted like he was high on something to me. I noticed he wasn't there for the post game show. I found his "insight" very, very biased. Jay Bilas did not say that Butler would win because they had more desire to win than Gonzaga. My recollection was that he said he felt Butler would win because they were playing at home, and specifically in Hinkle. To insinuate that the Zags do not have a deep and passionate desire to win I felt was offensive and not called for after losing such a hard fought game. I call that kicking a guy when he's down. Or a low blow. To insinuate they don't have heart, which is what you were saying I think, made me mad. And now you seem to have come to a conclusion that you are right about our team not having heart because one analyst (Mr Phelps) and a few x Zags feel the Zags don't have heart. I would actually like to know who these "X Zag" players are. Would you be brave enough to send me a private message? Good for you. And I know you don't speak alone. Good for you all!!!
Okay, so you've gone off on a tangent, no one mentioned the Zags don't have heart or desire to win but you. For analysts and others to say a team has more desire to win, which is exactly what Digger Phelps said (Digger Phelps acted like he was high???), in no way insinuates the Zags have NO heart or desire to win and no one said that, but please don't let me get in the way of you overblowing the comments and your personal attack.